PDA

View Full Version : I need help from someone who is polish

Stewie
08-30-2007, 10:10 AM
......to tell me how to properly pronounce posluszny... I think its "pos-loosh-knee"

is that right?

All these years I heard ago reporters and everyone else called Mike Tomzcak "tom-zack" and its supposed to be "tom-shuck".. so I don't want to be one of those guys

madness
08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Pos-lusz-nee

Mr. Miyagi
08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Pos-lusz-nee
That's how he pronounces it himself. So who cares how it's "supposed" to be pronounced.

Stewie
08-30-2007, 10:17 AM
are you sure? according to wikipedia (I know, I know) sz in polish is pronounced "shh"... just like cz is prouned "ch"

Mr. Miyagi
08-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Like I said, Poz pronounces his own name "Pos-lusz-nee".

Dr. Lecter
08-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Like I said, Poz pronounces his own name "Pos-lusz-nee".

He is Polish though.

Mr. Miyagi
08-30-2007, 10:25 AM
He is Polish though.
It doesn't matter. Just say the man's name the way he wants it said for crying out loud.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2007, 10:27 AM
There is an american/english way to pronounce polish names and then the actual way it would be pronounced in Poland.

I'm not sure on the beginning syllable but it's going to be either poz-loosh-nee or pose-loosh-nee.

He'll always be refered to as Poz-luz-nee though media wise.

Stewie
08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
ok, thanks guys.. ill call him poz :)...

btw I have a last name where I dont pronounce it technically correct.. I pronounce it americanized.. but it certainly impresses me other people get it right without me telling them how its supposed to be

Wally The Barber
08-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Now you know why we call him Poz!

Mr. Pink
08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
My mother is polish and her maiden name is one of those swell NO vowel polish names. People have trouble with it in either polish or americanized.

The last buffalo fan
08-30-2007, 11:02 AM
My mother is polish and her maiden name is one of those swell NO vowel polish names. People have trouble with it in either polish or americanized.

Rodriguez?

madness
08-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Rodriguez?

:lmao:

Wally The Barber
08-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Where is THE ANSWER when you need him?

Meathead
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I LOVE PAUL POSL ...

ah screw it this bit aint workin

Mr. Pink
08-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Alright, I got confirmation from a pollack friend of mine...

In polish it would be pose-loosh-nee.

There's the answer.....no, not that guy.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Rodriguez?

It's actually Hernandez de Soto!

The last buffalo fan
08-30-2007, 11:39 AM
It's actually Hernandez de Soto!

I knew it, I'm Polish!!!

Earthquake Enyart
08-30-2007, 11:52 AM
There are more similarites between mexicans and polacks than you would think.

They both like gaudy multicolored clothing that none of the rest of us would be caught dead in.

And they are the only ones to still use accordians in their music.

The last buffalo fan
08-30-2007, 12:00 PM
There are more similarites between mexicans and polacks than you would think.

They both like gaudy multicolored clothing that none of the rest of us would be caught dead in.

And they are the only ones to still use accordians in their music.

Can you stay on the topic, please?

BlackMetalNinja
08-30-2007, 01:53 PM
ok, thanks guys.. ill call him poz :)...

btw I have a last name where I dont pronounce it technically correct.. I pronounce it americanized.. but it certainly impresses me other people get it right without me telling them how its supposed to be

I always get your last name right... I mean seriously, how hard is it to pronounce B?

LtFinFan66
08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
......to tell me how to properly pronounce posluszny... I think its "pos-loosh-knee"

is that right?

All these years I heard ago reporters and everyone else called Mike Tomzcak "tom-zack" and its supposed to be "tom-shuck".. so I don't want to be one of those guysI refueled 6 Polish helicopters yesterday. Does that help at all:idunno:

TigerJ
08-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Posluszny is no different from the Americanized pronounciation of hundreds of other names that come out of foreign languages. When the first Posluszny came here from the old country he probably figured nobody except another Pole was going to pronounce it "Pos - loosh - nee" so he just started saying it the way non-Polish Americans would say it when they saw that combination of letters.

Stewie
08-30-2007, 02:37 PM
btw I would like to apologize for using polack (pollack?) before in the thread title.. I didn't know that its a slur I thought it was singular polish.. that makes me a ******.. so sorry if I ofended anyone...

oh, and sorry if I offended anyone for calling myself a ****** :D

OpIv37
08-30-2007, 02:38 PM
I refueled 6 Polish helicopters yesterday. Does that help at all:idunno:

did they have ejector seats?

wow, that one was too easy.

OpIv37
08-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Posluszny is no different from the Americanized pronounciation of hundreds of other names that come out of foreign languages. When the first Posluszny came here from the old country he probably figured nobody except another Pole was going to pronounce it "Pos - loosh - nee" so he just started saying it the way non-Polish Americans would say it when they saw that combination of letters.

that and many later immigrants to this country wanted to downplay the fact that they were foreigners to assimilate faster, so they would change the pronounciation and/or spelling of their names to make it less obvious that they weren't born Americans.

Mad Bomber
08-30-2007, 05:11 PM
People always mispronounce my name, even though it's simple, because to Americans it seems to be missing a vowel - they keep trying to add an E. My dad was born in Bavaria, and his surname wasn't changed (like many names were at Ellis Island). They did, however, change his first name from Franz to Frank.