PDA

View Full Version : Final pre season post game notes

OpIv37
08-30-2007, 10:20 PM
The starters didn't get too much work, so it's hard to say much, but here goes:

-Losman looked solid.
-The first team OL is good at pass blocking but still struggles in run blocking.
-Price had a good game- I'm not holding out too much hope for the guy but it's a good sign
-I've dogged him for bad plays in the past, but I gotta give Royal props for a smart play on that shuffle pass.
- Lynch struggled a little but showed flashes of what he can do- he caught a pass out of the backfield and I saw him pick up the blitz nicely a few times.
-The first team O still needs to be more consistent
-It was good to see Edwards go downfield even if the guy dropped it. IMO he's comfortable in this offense and the clear #2.
-Shaud played decent but I really like Wright and I think Shaud's the odd man out.

-Tripplett SUCKS. I am so sick of this guy- he never makes tackles, he's never in the passing lane, he's never anywhere near the point of attack.
-Our DL as a whole sucks- our tackles were pretty much stood up at the line of scrimmage on every play
-Greer struggled tonight- we need McGee back.
-Ellison still can't tackle and is out of position a lot
-Youboty made some nice tackles and did good in run support but still showed his inexperience in coverage.
-Bassey will get cut

-Props to Jonathan Smith for taking out the gunner- I've always wondered why they don't do that more often.

historypete
08-30-2007, 10:40 PM
I thought Ellison played pretty well tonight, especially considering how horrible he was last week.

I thought JP looked real good, and I thought that deep pass down the sideling, where he shuffled away from the pressure, was a completed ball. I never did see a replay on that so I don't know if Price was out or not.

I can't say much for the starting defense considering the Lions didn't play their whole starting unit for the most part, and also most of our D only played the first series anyway. I am still worried those DT's are going to get run over.

I really like Coy Wire at LB. He seems like an entirely different kind of player. I'm surprised he hasn't taken Ellison's spot yet.

As for Peerless. He makes some good plays, but then has a pass interference call that wipes out a drive. This guy kills me. I know that stuff happens, but after seeing him dogging it at camp, I don't have any more patience for him. I hope he proves me wrong and has a great year because they need a second reciever to step up badly.

Finally that run blocking is pathetic. I've never seen a bigger bunch of guys play so soft. I just can't imagine a 6'6", 345lb guy getting blown off the line. Despite that their pass protection did improve a whole lot.

It should be an interesting game next week considering this team played it so close to the vest this summer.

Tatonka
08-30-2007, 10:44 PM
coy wire should be starting somewhere..

that being said.. people are really starting to **** on ellison without basis.. it is kind of like the hate that started for coy wire is starting to develope for ellison and it is annoying because it just isnt true. ellison did not play bad tonight.

Nighthawk
08-30-2007, 10:46 PM

that being said.. people are really starting to **** on ellison without basis.. it is kind of like the hate that started for coy wire is starting to develope for ellison and it is annoying because it just isnt true. ellison did not play bad tonight.

Nobody s**tting on Ellison. The fact is, he has played terrible this preseason and tackled worse. For a guy who is as small as he is, he sure as hell better tackle well or there is absolutely no need for him on the field.

historypete
08-30-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't mind Ellison, but he clearly hasn't played well in the preseason. Last weeks game he over ran a number of plays, was out of position many times and missed a whole lot of tackles. That is a huge problem for a defense that already is small and gives up a lot of yards. One thing they must do to offset those problems is tackle well, and he hasn't.

The biggest problem with Ellsion I think, is that he is playing too fast. He needs to slow down a little, read the play better and then wrap up once he makes the inital hit. I think he did that a little better tonight. Once he does that consistantly he should be a much better player, and possibly a playmaker.

Tatonka
08-30-2007, 10:48 PM
he had a bad game 3.. that was made to look worse because young got around him when he overpursued and then slipped..

he did not play bad tonight.. but people are still calling for his head based on one bad game.

Throne Logic
08-30-2007, 10:51 PM

They are focusing on that one play where he got bowled over by that 300+ lb "fullback". Not sure Fletcher or Spikes would have faired much better than that.

Maybe we should line up Peters as a FB on special occasions. . .

acehole
08-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Agree on Tripplet.... Shaud Williams is a good back and a good change of pace back....shoman did not show me anything but he sure looks the part. I am rooting for LB Washington to make the team.

The starters didn't get too much work, so it's hard to say much, but here goes:

-Losman looked solid.
-The first team OL is good at pass blocking but still struggles in run blocking.
-Price had a good game- I'm not holding out too much hope for the guy but it's a good sign
-I've dogged him for bad plays in the past, but I gotta give Royal props for a smart play on that shuffle pass.
- Lynch struggled a little but showed flashes of what he can do- he caught a pass out of the backfield and I saw him pick up the blitz nicely a few times.
-The first team O still needs to be more consistent
-It was good to see Edwards go downfield even if the guy dropped it. IMO he's comfortable in this offense and the clear #2.
-Shaud played decent but I really like Wright and I think Shaud's the odd man out.

-Tripplett SUCKS. I am so sick of this guy- he never makes tackles, he's never in the passing lane, he's never anywhere near the point of attack.
-Our DL as a whole sucks- our tackles were pretty much stood up at the line of scrimmage on every play
-Greer struggled tonight- we need McGee back.
-Ellison still can't tackle and is out of position a lot
-Youboty made some nice tackles and did good in run support but still showed his inexperience in coverage.
-Bassey will get cut

-Props to Jonathan Smith for taking out the gunner- I've always wondered why they don't do that more often.

BADTHINGSMAN
08-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Agreed Op.. Ill add that there were way to many missed 1st attempt tackles..

Meathead
08-31-2007, 01:23 AM
regarding wire: rhymes with britches

John Doe
08-31-2007, 05:45 AM
Leonhard had a good game.

jamze132
08-31-2007, 06:01 AM
I thought JP looked real good, and I thought that deep pass down the sideling, where he shuffled away from the pressure, was a completed ball. I never did see a replay on that so I don't know if Price was out or not.

I really like Coy Wire at LB. He seems like an entirely different kind of player. I'm surprised he hasn't taken Ellison's spot yet.

As for Peerless. He makes some good plays, but then has a pass interference call that wipes out a drive. This guy kills me.

Ok, Price did catch that ball and got both feet inbounds. Jauron though, being Jauron, failed to throw the flag to challenge while he had Moorman run out there and punt the ball with time left on the play clock. It's the first Qtr, what's the danger in challenging a close play that early in the game? The guys up top should have hit the rewind button as soon as the ref called him out of bounds.

As for Wire, he looked like crap in pass coverage, as usual. But he does look good supporting the run.

And Price didn't push off the DB, it was a bad call. So stop trashing him, he played good the last couple of games, it seems like he has his head back in the game.

djjimkelly
08-31-2007, 06:51 AM
i think price is poised for a real deal comeback year he played excellent the last 2 preseason games. triplett however your right OP he dont look good hes a wave player IMO not a starter

Mahdi
08-31-2007, 07:05 AM
As the season wears on I think we will see a whole lot of McCargo playing next to Williams with Triplett coming in on passing downs. McCargo actually did well last night getting into rushing lanes and knifing into the backfield, Williams too. If Trips doesn't show the same ability he will be a 3rd down guy.

As for Price, he has been a pleasant surprise the past 2 weeks. That play on the sideline WAS a catch and a dang good one too! He's really good at tip-toeing thats for sure. I think the most refreshing thing though was seeing him catch a deep ball last week. If he can do that more consistently teams will have to respect both sides which should leave the field open for some huge YAC for Reed and Parrish.

Can anyone remember the last time we saw a Buffalo QB with more than 3 Mississipis in the Pocket consistently?

OpIv37
08-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Leonhard had a good game.

Leonhard definitely had his best game of the preseason.

OpIv37
08-31-2007, 07:20 AM
he had a bad game 3.. that was made to look worse because young got around him when he overpursued and then slipped..

he did not play bad tonight.. but people are still calling for his head based on one bad game.

he had a bad game three and last night he missed at least one tackle and was out of position on at least one pass play. And he wasn't even on the field that much- maybe two drives. No one's calling for his head but Wire's been much more consistent in pre season and I'd like to see what he can do with the first team because so far, Ellison hasn't done anything.

justasportsfan
08-31-2007, 07:25 AM
Ellison had back to back tackles. 1 for loss and one for no gain. IN the very short time he was in there. How people can say he was out of position is beyond me. The one who's actually been absent this entire preseason is Crowell.

HHURRICANE
08-31-2007, 07:27 AM
1) Brad Butler is our best RG and played like it last night.

2) Why is Jauron so high on Fowler, he sucks.

3) Langston Walker is not physically equipped to play RT. We are going to be drafting a RT next year or getting yet another FA.

4) Anderson played well.

5) Wallace played very well...good pick up.

6) Lynch looks fine. I'm not sure why people are freaking. He's been getting some very hard yards and taking tacklers with him. If he starts, I'll bet $100 that he rushs for over 100 yards in his first game.

7) Our D is undersized and our LBs are just not good. Poz looks like a rookie.

8) Price is lazy but he still is our #2 receiver.

9) Leonard's best game still wasn't enough to make me want him on our roster.

OpIv37
08-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Ellison had back to back tackles. 1 for loss and one for no gain. IN the very short time he was in there. How people can say he was out of position is beyond me. The one who's actually been absent this entire preseason is Crowell.

when it's a pass play and ellison is playing too close to the hash marks then desperately sprinting towards the receiver who's 10 yards behind him and 4 yards closer to the sideline, he's out of position.

But I agree on Crowell. I know he was injured for one game but I seriously don't recall him making a single play or the announcers calling his name even once during all 4 preseason games.

OpIv37
08-31-2007, 07:30 AM
Ok, Price did catch that ball and got both feet inbounds. Jauron though, being Jauron, failed to throw the flag to challenge while he had Moorman run out there and punt the ball with time left on the play clock. It's the first Qtr, what's the danger in challenging a close play that early in the game? The guys up top should have hit the rewind button as soon as the ref called him out of bounds.

As for Wire, he looked like crap in pass coverage, as usual. But he does look good supporting the run.

And Price didn't push off the DB, it was a bad call. So stop trashing him, he played good the last couple of games, it seems like he has his head back in the game.

yeah I was wondering why Jauron didn't throw the flag. I know it's pre season but Jauron was terrible with challenges and time outs last year and it would have been nice to see him get some practice.

justasportsfan
08-31-2007, 07:41 AM
when it's a pass play and ellison is playing too close to the hash marks then desperately sprinting towards the receiver who's 10 yards behind him and 4 yards closer to the sideline, he's out of position.

But I agree on Crowell. I know he was injured for one game but I seriously don't recall him making a single play or the announcers calling his name even once during all 4 preseason games.
but Ellison did not have a bad game last night.

User Manuel
08-31-2007, 07:50 AM

The biggest problem for Ellison is that the first thing I think of from the preseason is Vince Young absolutely using him on the TD. Ellison is a fine LB, he'll be ok. Coy Wire looks like he was meant to be a LB all along. Another Donahoe/Mularkey mistake that maybe Marv is salvaging.

I think we too often get into the habit off classifying guys as 'awful" if someone else is playing better. Wire might be better than Ellison right now, this doesnt mean Ellison sucks. It is called depth and it is a good sign.

There is no 2 ways about it. DL is awful aright now and this defense starts and ends with them.

The good news is this, imho, Schobel has played a very limited amount of time. If Schobel and Kelsay play as expected it should take pressure off the DTS and maybe things will improve up front. If that is the case then the cascade effect will be that the DBS and LBs look better.

We still have one of the 5 worst defenses in the league right now as I see it.

OpIv37
08-31-2007, 08:13 AM
but Ellison did not have a bad game last night.

we'll have to agree to disagree on that one- seemed to me that he missed as many plays as he made. He definitely wasn't as bad as he was last Friday, but he was far from good IMO.

jamze132
09-01-2007, 07:06 AM
yeah I was wondering why Jauron didn't throw the flag. I know it's pre season but Jauron was terrible with challenges and time outs last year and it would have been nice to see him get some practice.
Yeah, usually teams try to improve on everything from the previous season, I guess they forgot to practice throwing red flags and calling timeouts in all the OTAs we conducted.

Mitchy moo
09-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Yeah, usually teams try to improve on everything from the previous season, I guess they forgot to practice throwing red flags and calling timeouts in all the OTAs we conducted.

Pre-season games need to end quick, flags delay them.

jamze132
09-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Pre-season games need to end quick, flags delay them.
So let's sacrifice offensive plays for the sake of time? You remember that when the offense can't move the ball against Denver next week. Remember that the starting offense probably had the least amount of reps in the NFL this pre-season.

Throwing the flag would have gotten us a first down and continued the drive, which in turn would have gotten everyone of the starters more reps.