• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Final pre season post game notes

The starters didn't get too much work, so it's hard to say much, but here goes:

-Losman looked solid.
    -The first team OL is good at pass blocking but still struggles in run blocking.
    -Price had a good game- I'm not holding out too much hope for the guy but it's a good sign
    -I've dogged him for bad plays in the past, but I gotta give Royal props for a smart play on that shuffle pass.
    - Lynch struggled a little but showed flashes of what he can do- he caught a pass out of the backfield and I saw him pick up the blitz nicely a few times.
    -The first team O still needs to be more consistent
    -It was good to see Edwards go downfield even if the guy dropped it. IMO he's comfortable in this offense and the clear #2.
    -Shaud played decent but I really like Wright and I think Shaud's the odd man out.

-Tripplett SUCKS. I am so sick of this guy- he never makes tackles, he's never in the passing lane, he's never anywhere near the point of attack.
    -Our DL as a whole sucks- our tackles were pretty much stood up at the line of scrimmage on every play
    -Greer struggled tonight- we need McGee back.
    -Ellison still can't tackle and is out of position a lot
    -Youboty made some nice tackles and did good in run support but still showed his inexperience in coverage.
    -Bassey will get cut

-Props to Jonathan Smith for taking out the gunner- I've always wondered why they don't do that more often.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • historypete
    • Feb 2005

Re: Final pre season post game notes

I thought Ellison played pretty well tonight, especially considering how horrible he was last week.

I thought JP looked real good, and I thought that deep pass down the sideling, where he shuffled away from the pressure, was a completed ball. I never did see a replay on that so I don't know if Price was out or not.

I can't say much for the starting defense considering the Lions didn't play their whole starting unit for the most part, and also most of our D only played the first series anyway. I am still worried those DT's are going to get run over.

I really like Coy Wire at LB. He seems like an entirely different kind of player. I'm surprised he hasn't taken Ellison's spot yet.

As for Peerless. He makes some good plays, but then has a pass interference call that wipes out a drive. This guy kills me. I know that stuff happens, but after seeing him dogging it at camp, I don't have any more patience for him. I hope he proves me wrong and has a great year because they need a second reciever to step up badly.

Finally that run blocking is pathetic. I've never seen a bigger bunch of guys play so soft. I just can't imagine a 6'6", 345lb guy getting blown off the line. Despite that their pass protection did improve a whole lot.

It should be an interesting game next week considering this team played it so close to the vest this summer.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

coy wire should be starting somewhere..

that being said.. people are really starting to **** on ellison without basis.. it is kind of like the hate that started for coy wire is starting to develope for ellison and it is annoying because it just isnt true. ellison did not play bad tonight.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka

that being said.. people are really starting to **** on ellison without basis.. it is kind of like the hate that started for coy wire is starting to develope for ellison and it is annoying because it just isnt true. ellison did not play bad tonight.
        Nobody s**tting on Ellison. The fact is, he has played terrible this preseason and tackled worse. For a guy who is as small as he is, he sure as hell better tackle well or there is absolutely no need for him on the field.

Comment

• historypete
          • Feb 2005

I don't mind Ellison, but he clearly hasn't played well in the preseason. Last weeks game he over ran a number of plays, was out of position many times and missed a whole lot of tackles. That is a huge problem for a defense that already is small and gives up a lot of yards. One thing they must do to offset those problems is tackle well, and he hasn't.

The biggest problem with Ellsion I think, is that he is playing too fast. He needs to slow down a little, read the play better and then wrap up once he makes the inital hit. I think he did that a little better tonight. Once he does that consistantly he should be a much better player, and possibly a playmaker.

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

he had a bad game 3.. that was made to look worse because young got around him when he overpursued and then slipped..

he did not play bad tonight.. but people are still calling for his head based on one bad game.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Throne Logic
              Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka

They are focusing on that one play where he got bowled over by that 300+ lb "fullback". Not sure Fletcher or Spikes would have faired much better than that.

Maybe we should line up Peters as a FB on special occasions. . .
              Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• acehole
                • Jan 2006

Agree on Tripplet.... Shaud Williams is a good back and a good change of pace back....shoman did not show me anything but he sure looks the part. I am rooting for LB Washington to make the team.

Originally posted by OpIv37
                The starters didn't get too much work, so it's hard to say much, but here goes:

-Losman looked solid.
                -The first team OL is good at pass blocking but still struggles in run blocking.
                -Price had a good game- I'm not holding out too much hope for the guy but it's a good sign
                -I've dogged him for bad plays in the past, but I gotta give Royal props for a smart play on that shuffle pass.
                - Lynch struggled a little but showed flashes of what he can do- he caught a pass out of the backfield and I saw him pick up the blitz nicely a few times.
                -The first team O still needs to be more consistent
                -It was good to see Edwards go downfield even if the guy dropped it. IMO he's comfortable in this offense and the clear #2.
                -Shaud played decent but I really like Wright and I think Shaud's the odd man out.

-Tripplett SUCKS. I am so sick of this guy- he never makes tackles, he's never in the passing lane, he's never anywhere near the point of attack.
                -Our DL as a whole sucks- our tackles were pretty much stood up at the line of scrimmage on every play
                -Greer struggled tonight- we need McGee back.
                -Ellison still can't tackle and is out of position a lot
                -Youboty made some nice tackles and did good in run support but still showed his inexperience in coverage.
                -Bassey will get cut

-Props to Jonathan Smith for taking out the gunner- I've always wondered why they don't do that more often.
                Hated by the stupid..
                Loved by their moms.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                  • Oct 2002

Agreed Op.. Ill add that there were way to many missed 1st attempt tackles..

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

regarding wire: rhymes with britches
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• John Doe
                      Florida Man
                      • Jul 2002

Leonhard had a good game.

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by historypete
                        I thought JP looked real good, and I thought that deep pass down the sideling, where he shuffled away from the pressure, was a completed ball. I never did see a replay on that so I don't know if Price was out or not.

I really like Coy Wire at LB. He seems like an entirely different kind of player. I'm surprised he hasn't taken Ellison's spot yet.

As for Peerless. He makes some good plays, but then has a pass interference call that wipes out a drive. This guy kills me.
                        Ok, Price did catch that ball and got both feet inbounds. Jauron though, being Jauron, failed to throw the flag to challenge while he had Moorman run out there and punt the ball with time left on the play clock. It's the first Qtr, what's the danger in challenging a close play that early in the game? The guys up top should have hit the rewind button as soon as the ref called him out of bounds.

As for Wire, he looked like crap in pass coverage, as usual. But he does look good supporting the run.

And Price didn't push off the DB, it was a bad call. So stop trashing him, he played good the last couple of games, it seems like he has his head back in the game.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                          • Apr 2003

i think price is poised for a real deal comeback year he played excellent the last 2 preseason games. triplett however your right OP he dont look good hes a wave player IMO not a starter

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

As the season wears on I think we will see a whole lot of McCargo playing next to Williams with Triplett coming in on passing downs. McCargo actually did well last night getting into rushing lanes and knifing into the backfield, Williams too. If Trips doesn't show the same ability he will be a 3rd down guy.

As for Price, he has been a pleasant surprise the past 2 weeks. That play on the sideline WAS a catch and a dang good one too! He's really good at tip-toeing thats for sure. I think the most refreshing thing though was seeing him catch a deep ball last week. If he can do that more consistently teams will have to respect both sides which should leave the field open for some huge YAC for Reed and Parrish.

Can anyone remember the last time we saw a Buffalo QB with more than 3 Mississipis in the Pocket consistently?

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by John Doe
                              Leonhard had a good game.
                              Leonhard definitely had his best game of the preseason.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X