PDA

View Full Version : Edwards was the best QB in the draft.

HHURRICANE
08-31-2007, 07:39 AM
The kid threw for 432 yards in the pre-season. No picks and a 75.4 completion percentage!!

75.4%

Side note: Beck had 2 picks on 300 yards and a 56.3% in the pre-season.

User Manuel
08-31-2007, 07:43 AM
He definately was impressive. It is unfortunate the Raiders didn't get a real look at Jamarcus Russell(can you say Elway situation?).

I was extremely impressed with his poise but most impressive was his knack of finding the open reciever and finding him quickly.

I think we have a quality starter in JP, but I would be comfortable,a s it is, if Edwards had to play.

hydro
08-31-2007, 07:44 AM
I must thats is pretty impressive no matter who he is going against. He didn't let the pressure of the NFL get to him, even though it is only the preseason.

TigerJ
08-31-2007, 10:03 AM
I haven't followed him at all, but they are saying Brady Quinn is the real deal in Cleveland. Still, Edwards is the far better bargain because we landed him in the third round.

LtFinFan66
08-31-2007, 10:06 AM
I say we let them all get a little "real" game action before we annoint Edwards or any of them the best of the class:meh:

madness
08-31-2007, 10:23 AM
I haven't followed him at all, but they are saying Brady Quinn is the real deal in Cleveland. Still, Edwards is the far better bargain because we landed him in the third round.

He has a lot of catching up to do though. Anderson is fighting it out with Batch for #1 and Quinn isn't even being considered at this point.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2007, 10:27 AM

Kevin Kolb of Philly had a strong preseason as well.

Of course, it is just preseason, which makes it pretty meaningless.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2007, 10:28 AM
He has a lot of catching up to do though. Anderson is fighting it out with Batch for #1 and Quinn isn't even being considered at this point.

You mean Frye. I bet Quinn gets a shot to play by mid-season.

Mahdi
08-31-2007, 10:29 AM
You mean Frye?

madness
08-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Sorry, brain fart.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2007, 10:37 AM

First, it's Frye not Batch.

From what I've heard Derek Anderson might be cut or traded in the next few days. That was prior to the final preseason game in which Charlie Frye started. I dunno if anything on the field changed Phil Savages opinion on it.

The Browns have 4 QBs on the roster now, Frye, Anderson, Dorsey and Quinn. Dorsey should stay because he's an extremely bright student of the game and accepts his role as such. Which could help Brady immeasurably down the line. Frye has more "skills" than Anderson from what I've seen of Browns football this year Anderson and Frye's stats have been pretty much interchangeable.

So all that makes me willing to bet that Anderson is gonna be out the door based on the numbers game, there's no way the Browns will carry 4 QBs on their roster.

It'll be Frye, Quinn, Dorsey. Quinn probably won't see any NFL action til like week 11 though, unless somehow the Browns remain competitive and Frye plays well. I'm not counting on it, but am very hopeful.

I do have to admit, Quinn's looked halfway decent in the preaseason, against 3rd and 4th stringers. I still hate him. And his holdout cost him the shot of being the week 1 starter.

In the UNLIKELY scenario that somehow Dorsey is released, I say we ditch Nall and his outrageous contract and sign Dorsey immediately.

Night Train
08-31-2007, 10:42 AM
In the UNLIKELY scenario that somehow Dorsey is released, I say we ditch Nall and his outrageous contract and sign Dorsey immediately.

Dorsey can't throw the ball 15 yards. It's Holcomb all over again.

He should be proud of his college career and move on to coaching or Dancing With The Stars.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2007, 11:01 AM

He should be proud of his college career and move on to coaching or Dancing With The Stars.

The point of picking him up isn't for him to play. Your number 3 QB should never see the field. His role is clipboard holder and knowing defenses, schemes, coverages in which he can teach the younger QBs that. Last I checked we had two young QBs and one, JP, who seemingly isn't the best at reading defenses. Dorsey's help could be very helpful.

And that is the main reason the guy still has a job in the NFL. It's not his physical abilities that keep him around it's his mental abilities.

Wally The Barber
08-31-2007, 11:03 AM
He sure looks like a #1 pick to me !

Mr. Pink
08-31-2007, 11:05 AM

Also...it's not like Holcomb at all. Dorsey knows he doesn't have the physical ability to start in the league and won't lobby to become a starter. On top of the fact Holcomb isn't very mentally cognitive of the game.

Wally The Barber
08-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Also...it's not like Holcomb at all. Dorsey knows he doesn't have the physical ability to start in the league and won't lobby to become a starter. On top of the fact Holcomb isn't very mentally cognitive of the game.

I was impressed with how fast he made discissions and the way he handled the offense!
I have never seen a rookie do that!

THATHURMANATOR
08-31-2007, 11:10 AM
I say we let them all get a little "real" game action before we annoint Edwards or any of them the best of the class:meh:
I agree.

The Answer
08-31-2007, 11:35 AM
The kid threw for 432 yards in the pre-season. No picks and a 75.4 completion percentage!!

75.4%

The Answer did have him grade as a mid/late first round pick on his draft board. Amazing that he fell as far as he did.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
He's still a wasted pick. The bills didn't need to draft him.

/sarcasm.

Oaf
08-31-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm down with Dorsey over Nall as well. Hey FTY, who said that quote in your sig?

raphael120
08-31-2007, 01:03 PM
I'll be convinced when Edwards is tearing up a real NFL defense and not the future management of Walmart that is the backups of the teams we played.

!Papacrunk!
08-31-2007, 04:33 PM
So when will Edwards (Jauron's guy) take the job from Losman?

deepslant
08-31-2007, 07:43 PM
So when will Edwards (Jauron's guy) take the job from Losman?

The day Beck takes the job from lemon concussion. or is that combustion?

BillsFever21
09-01-2007, 12:27 AM

75.4%

Rob Johnson was great in preseason too.

The best QB in the draft? After 4 preseason games. That is a little homeristic. Is Fred Jackson the best RB on the team or a top RB in the league? Look at the preseason he had. How about Roscoe Parrish. Is he great? A lot of other QB's were great too. They were playing against burger flippers and drug dealers next week. The common theme in these stats are that the majority of the top passers this preason were all backups playing against scrubs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING

David Garrard- 76.6%, 9.7 average
Kellen Clemens - 73.2%, 10.2 average and 4 TD's
Luke McCown- 72%. 4 TD's, 7.9 average
Kerry Collins- 65%, 3 TD's. 5th rated passer
Sage Rosenfels- 64.9%, 4 TD's
Bruce Gradkowski, 62%, 4 TD's

All these guys had a lot of TD's too. One thing for sure is that the Rams are screwed this season. Marc Bulger is only in the Top 45 is QB rankings this preseason.

One thing you see around here is people who says preseason means nothing when a player is absolutely terrible but when they look good against scrubs the are the best player in the draft.

Marshawn Lynch must be the worse RB in the draft this year if Trent Edwards is the best. Dwane Wright and Fred Jackson should be starting. Lynch only averaged 1.7ypc.

I know you are probably saying that sounds absurd but it isn't any more absurd then proclaiming Trent Edwards as the best QB in the draft. The 7th drafted QB who had 36 TD's and 33 INT's in college and only finished 1 full season. Even if he had any talent he would probably not ever make it through a season. If he couldn't stay healthy in college with weaker players and less games it's not going to happen in the NFL with stronger players and more games.

TrentEdwards2008
09-01-2007, 01:09 AM

75.4%

Trent is going to save this franchise from moving to LA!

And he's very good looking too, the rest of QB's drafted this year were pretty funny looking if you ask me.

Go Trent Go!!!!

Mitchy moo
09-01-2007, 07:07 AM

And he's very good looking too, the rest of QB's drafted this year were pretty funny looking if you ask me.

Go Trent Go!!!!

Well if the looks don't get him on the field nothing will, lol.:poop:

jamze132
09-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Let's all judge the 2007 QB rookie class by their first pre-season. Edwards did have great stats though.

patmoran2006
09-01-2007, 09:01 AM
I'll be convinced when Edwards is tearing up a real NFL defense and not the future management of Walmart that is the backups of the teams we played.
With all due respect though.

He was also THROWING the ball TO future management of Walmart as well.

That last game as ultra-impressive.

Albany,n.y.
09-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Anderson is going to get cut today & Quinn will be #2 behind Frye to start the season. Dorsey will be the 3rd stringer. Quinn will be in by mid-season, the holdout cost him the opening day start.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm down with Dorsey over Nall as well. Hey FTY, who said that quote in your sig?

That was Tim Couch when he originally got signed by the Jags, who have now since cut him. With them wanting to release or trade Leftwich and him still being cut, he most not have any gas left in the tank.

patmoran2006
09-01-2007, 09:50 AM
BTW.

I think Brady Quinn is going to easily be the best QB of this draft.

But I will say, I think I'm forced to change my stance on us drafting Edwards, because he looks REALLY poised.

Goobylal
09-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Calling TE the best QB in the draft is WAY too premature. But he definitely showed promise, throwing for 75% and 7.1 YPA, playing against and WITH backups.

Next year I believe that the Bills will let him compete for the starting job with JP, whether JP does well or not. JP is TD's guy and Edwards is their guy. And may the best man win.

ScottLawrence
09-01-2007, 09:54 AM

Thats not the point.

It looks as if he has it all. He reads defense amazingly well for a rookie third round pick as he is quick to find his 2nd and 3rd(sometimes even 4th) options.

He shows poise and solid pocket awareness....I'm really looking forward to seeing him in a year if Losman doesn't pan out.

Philagape
09-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Anderson is going to get cut today & Quinn will be #2 behind Frye to start the season. Dorsey will be the 3rd stringer. Quinn will be in by mid-season, the holdout cost him the opening day start.

Dorsey got cut :doh:

ddaryl
09-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Trent Edwards in the 3rd round is turing out to be a better then expected pick up.

I'm pulling for JP but if he regresses it's nice to know we already have a player that the majority believe to be a nice asset to have.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm shocked Dorsey got cut...huge mistake by the Browns.

I say we cut Nall and sign Dorsey. Dorsey would be cheaper and have more value at the 3 spot than Nall.

Mitchy moo
09-01-2007, 12:44 PM
2 bums either way.

PECKERWOOD
09-01-2007, 02:08 PM

Go Trent Go!!!!

lol

Samphin1
09-01-2007, 06:04 PM
I hope for your guys' sake Trent continues to play against third stringers... J/K

No one ever debated Edwards' talent. He has a history of injuries though and one good pop may shelve him for awhile.

I would also like to point out that both of Beck's int's were tipped balls. The original poster failed to point out his touchdown passes his accuracy and phantom game winning two point conversion. :lol:

Me thinks it is a tad too early to be judging anyone from this class. Except Antonio Pittman, that guy stinks.

oak tree 12
09-01-2007, 06:41 PM
First, it's Frye not Batch.

From what I've heard Derek Anderson might be cut or traded in the next few days. That was prior to the final preseason game in which Charlie Frye started. I dunno if anything on the field changed Phil Savages opinion on it.

The Browns have 4 QBs on the roster now, Frye, Anderson, Dorsey and Quinn. Dorsey should stay because he's an extremely bright student of the game and accepts his role as such. Which could help Brady immeasurably down the line. Frye has more "skills" than Anderson from what I've seen of Browns football this year Anderson and Frye's stats have been pretty much interchangeable.

So all that makes me willing to bet that Anderson is gonna be out the door based on the numbers game, there's no way the Browns will carry 4 QBs on their roster.

It'll be Frye, Quinn, Dorsey. Quinn probably won't see any NFL action til like week 11 though, unless somehow the Browns remain competitive and Frye plays well. I'm not counting on it, but am very hopeful.

I do have to admit, Quinn's looked halfway decent in the preaseason, against 3rd and 4th stringers. I still hate him. And his holdout cost him the shot of being the week 1 starter.

outrageous contract.lol,he was making peanuts for a QB,i believe it was 1.3 million,but its all nill now seeing he was just cut!!!!!!!

HAMMER
09-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm shocked Dorsey got cut...huge mistake by the Browns.

I say we cut Nall and sign Dorsey. Dorsey would be cheaper and have more value at the 3 spot than Nall.

Who's we? I thought you were a Brown's fan.

Spiderweb
09-02-2007, 04:28 AM

Not that any of that was balanced out by our backups and hopefuls (and future Wal Mart managers) that he was playing with?

He looked as good as any rookie QB the Bills have had in recent memory. We may have needed help more in other areas but I believe this will prove out to be a solid to excellent pick by the Bills.

BillsFever21
09-02-2007, 03:59 PM
One thing to remember. These teams out there in preseason were the same as a CFL team or maybe even Arena League team. How many awesome CFL QB's are there? Does that mean they are primed and capable of coming to the NFL and being a starting QB?

Also with preseason is them CFL looking players are not even blitzing or any of them things. Have you seen what he can do yet with a blitz coming his way? There is a common theme that a high percentage of QB's who plays in garbage time preseason games every year have great stats. The players are junk defending them and there also isn't any blitzes. Look at the stats. Many horrible QB's and other players have a great preseason.

Like what was said earlier. Is Fred Jackson starting material? He was clearly awesome in preseason and was the best RB on our team. Should he be starting over Lynch next week? Of course not. Playing against some players that wouldn't even be good enough for the CFL isn't a good way to judge a player.

Mr. Pink
09-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Who's we? I thought you were a Brown's fan.

I'm a fan of both teams! I've gone over why on a few occasions. When I say "we"on a bills board, I mean the Bills. When I talk about the Browns, which isn't often, just in cases that have to do with the Bills...I use "the browns" to specify them.