PDA

View Full Version : Roy Manning

Tatonka
08-31-2007, 07:58 AM
dont know if anyone noticed, but he had an interception for a TD last night in his first game for the jags.. after being with them for 4 days.. that is a pretty solid.

hope we didnt get rid of the wrong guy.

the jags had just signed vet chris claiborne, but then cut him a day later when they found out manning was cut.

good luck to him!

Nighthawk
08-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Classic Bills organization. They keep guys like Stamer eventhough he can't play a lick at LB. Yes, special teams are important, but we keep too many crappy players on this roster. I'd like to see others get a shot to help the team, but with this staff...it's been pretty limited.

THATHURMANATOR
08-31-2007, 09:22 AM
But yet we have the best special teams in the league. That has to count for something. We are talking about backups.

I can hear it now. We let the good special teamers go and the unit then sucks but we have slightly better backups and people complain about that. Classic Bills fan reactions.

bigbub2352
08-31-2007, 11:45 AM
i was hoping to have him on the roster instead of stamer or haggan

Oaf
08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
I like Haggan, but I believe Stamer's Bills days are over. Glad Manning was able to bounce back. Bills were probably trying to stash him on the PS.

justasportsfan
08-31-2007, 05:13 PM
But yet we have the best special teams in the league. That has to count for something. We are talking about backups.

I can hear it now. We let the good special teamers go and the unit then sucks but we have slightly better backups and people complain about that. Classic Bills fan reactions.
:bf1:

HHURRICANE
08-31-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure why we cut him?

John Doe
08-31-2007, 08:29 PM
What is so special about Manning? Did he do anything of note during training camp?

He was out of football when the Bills picked him up last year, they never played him in a game, and he was one of the first cuts the Bills had this year.

I don't buy the theory that the Bills were trying to "sneak" him onto their practice squad. The guy is a known quantity around the league. If he played better he would still be with the team.

Tatonka
08-31-2007, 08:29 PM
the speculation was that we cut him early to hope people wouldnt notice and we could get him on our practice squad.. looks like it didnt work.

John Doe
08-31-2007, 08:47 PM
the speculation was that we cut him early to hope people wouldnt notice and we could get him on our practice squad.. looks like it didnt work.

I understand the theory, but my point is that it works with players that the all NFL teams have not looked long and hard at - usually rookies. Take the case of Jason Peters: he played tight end but went undrafted. None of the other teams had a chance to see him in practice like the Bills did so they had no inkling of his potential to play offensive line or special teams (his first real impact as an NFL player). He was cut early and passed waivers because he appeared to have little upside at tight end and was an unknown at other positions.

Manning has a track record - other teams know all about him. He actually started a few games for Green Bay in 2005 so there was even actual NFL regular season game film on him.

If the Bills thought that he had something to offer he would still be on the team because there is always a chance of injury during the final preseason game.

All of the other teams in the league closely monitor the waiver wire just as we do on this board. I don't think that the Bills thoght that they could get him through waivers and then stash him on the practice squad. They saw enough of him last year and this preseason to know that he did not fit their defensive plans.