BidsJr
08-31-2007, 08:33 AM
www.buffalobills.com

Congrats Craig!!!!

The official death of Nall ball.

Sorry ibatiger.

Meathead
08-31-2007, 08:40 AM
well then its a good thing i prepped you people last nite or it could be a full fledged panic attack around here

shelby
08-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Come on, is anyone really surprised about this?

BidsJr
08-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Come on, is anyone really surprised about this?

ibatiger is.

Elminster
08-31-2007, 09:33 AM
A 3rd-round pick on a back-up QB? Sounds good to me. Hopefully, he doesn't need to take the field....

Wally The Barber
08-31-2007, 09:37 AM
A 3rd-round pick on a back-up QB? Sounds good to me. Hopefully, he doesn't need to take the field....

Why, Did he show you something that worries you?

OpIv37
08-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Edwards has been pleasant surprise. If JP goes down, I still think we're in big trouble, but if it comes to that, Edwards has earned it over Nall.

Philagape
08-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Nall's career streak of being No. 3 continues! :clap:

TigerJ
08-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Nall was certainly mediocre last night. Edwards, on the other hand had his best game. He earned it.

Elminster
08-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Oh, no. Nothing like that. I'd prefer there to be no reason for JP to leave the field....unless they send Edwards in during garbage time of a crushing victory!:gobills:

The Answer
08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
The young gun will be #1 on the depth chart by late october.

Book it!

~The Answer

TSZmike
08-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Alright why did the bills go after edwards as early as they did? Was it because of lack of faith in Losman, there depth sucked, etc. Help a brother out

OpIv37
08-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Alright why did the bills go after edwards as early as they did? Was it because of lack of faith in Losman, there depth sucked, etc. Help a brother out

that's a really good question. I think it's both a lack of depth and some lingering concerns over Losman. It's Losman's job to lose, but I really think if he doesn't step it up this year and prove to be a consistent NFL QB, it's time to move on. The Edwards pick suggests the FO might be thinking the same way. At the same time, it's clear that they weren't happy with Nall and Holcomb (the reasons should be obvious to anyone who watches this team), so they wanted some depth.

I still think we had more pressing concerns than backup QB to address in the third round, but I have to say that I've been impressed with Edwards so far.

TSZmike
08-31-2007, 12:58 PM
I still think we had more pressing concerns than backup QB to address in the third round, but I have to say that I've been impressed with Edwards so far.Thats why I keep asking the question "Why in the 3rd round?" doesnt make sense to me unless they are not or were not happy with Losman as the #1. I guess we will find out down the road what there plans were. Just to me did not make much sense.

OpIv37
08-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Thats why I keep asking the question "Why in the 3rd round?" doesnt make sense to me unless they are not or were not happy with Losman as the #1. I guess we will find out down the road what there plans were. Just to me did not make much sense.

I wouldn't say they weren't happy with Losman- that seems a little strong. It's probably more accurate to say that they had concerns over Losman and want to be sure there was a Plan B. But it's a semantic argument- it seems pretty clear that they're not 100% convinced on Losman.

Elminster
08-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Thats why I keep asking the question "Why in the 3rd round?" doesnt make sense to me unless they are not or were not happy with Losman as the #1. I guess we will find out down the road what there plans were. Just to me did not make much sense.
Because, if we waited, we wouldn't have Trent Edwards at #2 on the depth chart, and we'd still have Nall there, plus some random 6th-7th round pick whose probably too raw to amount to anything for a few years, leaving us with the frightening prospect of Craig Nall taking the field for an extended period if JP got hurt, and leaving us with nothing if JP stops progressing?

I'm also skeptical of how a 3rd-round corner improves our depth, when our future IS a 3rd-round corner, btw. That just seems to be adding another body as opposed to improving the situation. McGee and Thomas aren't bad, and aren't in need of imminent replacement. It's only....Webster...but he's on the field until Youboty takes his job, I'm thinking.

What it boils down to is: it is far more likely that Youboty amounts to something than it is for Nall to become something he hasn't been for...what? five years? They liked the potential at corner better, so they improved the potential at QB. They don't care what you think because if we had picked a CB, you'd probably be complaining about the lack of a competent back-up QB...

G. Host
08-31-2007, 01:22 PM

Not necessarily. QBs take time to develop and trying to develop them in training camp as NFL Europe or UDFAs did not work for previous management so they decided to look for a player who already had skill rather than one with potential.

mikemac2001
08-31-2007, 01:31 PM
The young gun will be #1 on the depth chart by late october.

Book it!

~The Answer

No were gonna trade for holcomb realizing we traded the heart of the team away

justasportsfan
08-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Edwards has been pleasant surprise. .

Pffft. Huhges would've made a better back-up to JP.

:calm:

TSZmike
08-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Not necessarily. QBs take time to develop and trying to develop them in training camp as NFL Europe or UDFAs did not work for previous management so they decided to look for a player who already had skill rather than one with potential.I understand grroming a QB I just dont understand why you groom a QB when you just drafted your "franchise" QB a few years ago. I can see what the Eagles did in drafting Kolb because there franchise QB is getting up in age and has a few years left.

I just thought that the Bills could have used that 3rd rounder for something that could help NOW, not later.

Meathead
08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
look, it was a matter of value at that point

apparently going by what the bills brass said themselves they had edwards rated very highly but were not looking to draft a qb in the early rounds. however when it came their turn and he was still there it was like stealing off their board so they just couldnt pass it up

granted its always a risk drafting anywhere but at least for now it looks like it was the right call. based on his play in the preseason and the fact that he will be getting backup reps his value should continue to rise throughout the league - perhaps inflatedly so

with nall on the roster they have a steady veteran that can be an insurance policy and wait for some desperate team to give them too much for edwards, either this year or next. or they could use edwards as leverage and insurance if losman plays very well and wants mo mo money. or perhaps they can look to deal losman for a high round pick and go with edwards

yeah it would have been nice to get another lineman or lb or corner to groom in the third but look at it this way, they potentially get first round value with a third round pick and for now only have to pay him that way. overall it makes the team stronger long term. if you can manage to do that on a consistent basis you are inevitably going to build a winner

G. Host
08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
When I heard Edwards size I was thinking he would make a good TE or LB.

deepslant
08-31-2007, 07:49 PM
I understand grroming a QB I just dont understand why you groom a QB when you just drafted your "franchise" QB a few years ago.
I just thought that the Bills could have used that 3rd rounder for something that could help NOW, not later.

ML didn't see this as a "value" pick he must of seen it as a "need" pick?

ibatiger
08-31-2007, 09:37 PM
ibatiger is.

Actually I'm not. I was told by a friend of Nall's family, who had talked to one of his relatives sometime ago that it was a done deal. I think that was before the third preseason game. I was asked to not repeat it because this guy swore he wouldn't tell anyone. I think Nall was trying to work a trade or something at the time. My only question is why didn't they just go ahead and name Edwards no. 2 in April? Why the farce in camp and preseason?

ibatiger
08-31-2007, 09:40 PM
When I heard Edwards size I was thinking he would make a good TE or LB.

Are you joking? He is a very "skinny" 230 lbs in that 6' 4" frame. In fact he looks frail to me. That was my initial impression in N.O. I expected him to look thicker, but instead he looks skinny in person. I can see why he got injuried so much in college.

BidsJr
08-31-2007, 09:43 PM
Actually I'm not. I was told by a friend of Nall's family, who had talked to one of his relatives sometime ago that it was a done deal. I think that was before the third preseason game. I was asked to not repeat it because this guy swore he wouldn't tell anyone. I think Nall was trying to work a trade or something at the time. My only question is why didn't they just go ahead and name Edwards no. 2 in April? Why the farce in camp and preseason?

I'm sure you were.

It is just a shame that the guy you've been tumpeting couldn't even make it past week3 in the preseason before gettin supplanted by a n00b rookie.

Nothing against Nall, but you and I have gone round and round about him since you started championing him for the starting job a year ago.

It's time you admitted that I was right and he was not much more than camp fodder, and he should be thankful to hold a clipboard. As I have said all along.

ibatiger
08-31-2007, 09:46 PM

He's never taken a meaningful snap that was much more than 7 on 7. What has he shown you that has impressed you? Guys who look pretty against defenses that are about as tough as air and in 7 on 7 (actually he never looked pretty in 7 on 7 as he was throwing ints everyday) are a dime a dozen. We have no idea if he can play in the league or not. None at all. That, plus his rookie status makes what was done with him unnecessary and potentially dangerous. Not only for the team, should Losman get hurt, but also for his personal development should he get eaten alive by the wolves this year.

BidsJr
08-31-2007, 09:48 PM
He's never taken a meaningful snap that was much more than 7 on 7. What has he shown you that has impressed you? Guys who look pretty against defenses that are about as tough as air and in 7 on 7 (actually he never looked pretty in 7 on 7 as he was throwing ints everyday) are a dime a dozen. We have no idea if he can play in the league or not. None at all. That, plus his rookie status makes what was done with him unnecessary and potentially dangerous. Not only for the team, should Losman get hurt, but also for his personal development should he get eaten alive by the wolves this year.

HAHA, he's just a theif for stealing Nall's reps then lol.

And to add to that Nall has hardly taken a meaningful snap in the last 10 years.

ibatiger
08-31-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm sure you were.

It is just a shame that the guy you've been tumpeting couldn't even make it past week3 in the preseason before gettin supplanted by a n00b rookie.

Nothing against Nall, but you and I have gone round and round about him since you started championing him for the starting job a year ago.

It's time you admitted that I was right and he was not much more than camp fodder, and he should be thankful to hold a clipboard. As I have said all along.

I'll admit no such thing. Nall is much more proven at this point in the league than Edwards. Edwards has proven nothing nor disproven anything. He is still a big unknown. Guys who look good in practice (and he actually was stinking it up well after getting almost all of the no. 2 reps as he was still having multiple int days until nearly the end of camp) are a dime a dozen. Guys who get the work he was getting, which is more than any no. 2 and nearly as much as some starters, should be going down the field in the second half of preseason games like a knife through butter. Nall did as well (actually better as he put 7 on the board on virtually every drive when he played extensively as a rookie in the 3rd and 4th preseason games) on very,very few reps in camp. You see, the second string QB was getting his reps and Nall was splitting with another guy who was cut. The next year he gave Alili Smith most of his reps, and the year after that Tim Couch. Of course last year he was injuried much of camp. No, you'll get nothing out of me. He was screwed royally. He wanted a trade but was told he was too valuable. But not too valuable to screw over like a red headed step child. This was a done deal a long time ago. It was planned and orchestrated well before camp. It was shameful. The sad thing is that it is all too common though. In a business that supposedly puts a premium on results there is favortism based on who went to whatever school. It is also why highly paid professionals get fired for personel desisions made for reasons other than merit. When you hand a guy a job without the other guy even having an opportunity to fight for his job that can come back to bit you in the rearend. It wouldn't be the first time. I wish they would have just made Edwards no. 2 in April. That's when they knew he would be.

ibatiger
08-31-2007, 10:09 PM
HAHA, he's just a theif for stealing Nall's reps then lol.

And to add to that Nall has hardly taken a meaningful snap in the last 10 years.

Uh, Nall has played on Sunday and has a passer rating of 139. When Edwards does something like that then come back and tell me about it.

BidsJr
08-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Uh, Nall has played on Sunday and has a passer rating of 139. When Edwards does something like that then come back and tell me about it.

I nominate you as homer of the decade.

Nall hasn't played in a big game since high school.

At least Trent played in the Pac 10 for a few years.

It really is a shame for you to support him as you do because he is terrible.

You should change your name from ibatiger to icaressnallsjock, becuase that seems to be your purpose.

BidsJr
08-31-2007, 10:21 PM
and I'll add this, he is no Kelly Holcomb. :rofl:

ibatiger
08-31-2007, 10:29 PM
Nall's career streak of being No. 3 continues! :clap:

Sorry to disappoint you but he was Favre's backup in 2004 when he posted a passer rating of 139+.

BidsJr
08-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Sorry to disappoint you but he was Favre's backup in 2004 when he posted a passer rating of 139+.

And?

He still sucked.

ibatiger
08-31-2007, 10:35 PM
I nominate you as homer of the decade.

Nall hasn't played in a big game since high school.

At least Trent played in the Pac 10 for a few years.

It really is a shame for you to support him as you do because he is terrible.

You should change your name from ibatiger to icaressnallsjock, becuase that seems to be your purpose.

He's played in a few big games. He almost singlehandedly carried 1-aa NSU over TCU in overtime. He would have carried NSU over Montana in the playoffs in -10 weather if not for a horendous call when his receiver was called for a phantom offensive pass interferrence call in the endzone on what should have been the winning TD as time expired. And Nall regularly played in front of 15-20,000 fans which is 5 times more than what Losman was playing in front of in the empty Superdome. And we all know what a football factory Stanford is.

ibatiger
08-31-2007, 10:37 PM
And?

He still sucked.

Yeah right. He lead them to TDs on every possession but one (field goal) except for when they were burning clock late in the Chicago game. Yeah tell yourself he sucked.

BidsJr
09-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Yeah right. He lead them to TDs on every possession but one (field goal) except for when they were burning clock late in the Chicago game. Yeah tell yourself he sucked.

I don't have to tell that to myself, the coaching staff told me when the dropped him to 3RD STRING.

BidsJr
09-01-2007, 07:08 AM
He's played in a few big games. He almost singlehandedly carried 1-aa NSU over TCU in overtime. He would have carried NSU over Montana in the playoffs in -10 weather if not for a horendous call when his receiver was called for a phantom offensive pass interferrence call in the endzone on what should have been the winning TD as time expired. And Nall regularly played in front of 15-20,000 fans which is 5 times more than what Losman was playing in front of in the empty Superdome. And we all know what a football factory Stanford is.

:rofl:

Philagape
09-01-2007, 08:06 AM

That's a three-year streak! :clap:

I guess his teams don't know the significance of passer ratings like you do.

BidsJr
09-01-2007, 08:26 AM
That's a three-year streak! :clap:

I guess his teams don't know the significance of passer ratings like you do.

I know a lot of us have rose colored glasses when it comes to our Bills, myself included. But ibatiger takes the cake when it comes to rose colored glasses.

Nall is to QB's as Anderson is to DT's

Both positions arguably shaky and both players the weakest link.

Philagape
09-01-2007, 09:52 AM
For some reason, crappy Bills QBs seem to spawn creepy stalker followers. Holcomb has one, Nall, even Dreadsoe a few years back

ublinkwescore
09-01-2007, 04:41 PM
I understand grroming a QB I just dont understand why you groom a QB when you just drafted your "franchise" QB a few years ago. I can see what the Eagles did in drafting Kolb because there franchise QB is getting up in age and has a few years left.

McNabb should still have a decent amount of gas in the tank. I think it's their concern over his durability - the last time he played a full season was when the Eagles and Pats played in the superbowl.

oak tree 12
09-01-2007, 05:06 PM
www.buffalobills.com (http://www.buffalobills.com)

Congrats Craig!!!!

The official death of Nall ball.

Sorry ibatiger.

i think thats an old roster,merz is on injured reserve and he is listed as secondd string LG,LOL!!!!!

oak tree 12
09-01-2007, 05:13 PM
that's a really good question. I think it's both a lack of depth and some lingering concerns over Losman. It's Losman's job to lose, but I really think if he doesn't step it up this year and prove to be a consistent NFL QB, it's time to move on. The Edwards pick suggests the FO might be thinking the same way. At the same time, it's clear that they weren't happy with Nall and Holcomb (the reasons should be obvious to anyone who watches this team), so they wanted some depth.

I still think we had more pressing concerns than backup QB to address in the third round, but I have to say that I've been impressed with Edwards so far.

what like a corner or DT who most likely would not have made the team or contributed????????????????

oak tree 12
09-01-2007, 05:14 PM

it was a brillient pick and sure as hell made sence. QB is the most importent position on any team and we now have 2 great young ones and are set there for years!!!!!!!!!!!!

oak tree 12
09-01-2007, 05:18 PM
I understand grroming a QB I just dont understand why you groom a QB when you just drafted your "franchise" QB a few years ago. I can see what the Eagles did in drafting Kolb because there franchise QB is getting up in age and has a few years left.

do you think the bills brass are total idiots if there was a better player there @ that time they would have picked him. they took the best player available and by edwards preformance it was not only the right choice but a great choice!!!!!!!

oak tree 12
09-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Are you joking? He is a very "skinny" 230 lbs in that 6' 4" frame. In fact he looks frail to me. That was my initial impression in N.O. I expected him to look thicker, but instead he looks skinny in person. I can see why he got injuried so much in college.

just ridiculous,he got hurt a lot because his o/line was worse than terrible,he kept taking a beating and coming back for more,to me those are the kind of players you cherish,for their heart and toughness !!!!!!!

oak tree 12
09-01-2007, 05:24 PM

you are truly clueless!!!!!!!!!!!!

oak tree 12
09-01-2007, 05:31 PM

without insulting your football knowledge again lets just say the bills staff totally disagrees with you and as unbelievable as it might seem to you you nall couldnt tie edwards jock even @ this stage of edwards career. if nall was so good why would the packers make no effort to keep him when they knew favre was nearing the end of his career and their only other QB was rogers who totally sucks. if GB saw any potential in nall with an opening @ QB coming very soon they would have made an effort to sign him and they made none,whats that tell you about your boy nall !!!!!!!!!

BidsJr
09-01-2007, 05:54 PM
CUT

It's official..... Looks like I win.

PECKERWOOD
09-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Plus, if Losman does succeed then we can still shop around Edwards like Atlanta did with Schaub.

Philagape
09-02-2007, 07:16 AM
what like a corner or DT who most likely would not have made the team or contributed????????????????

What makes you think a third-round pick wouldn't have made the team? and ANY other position would contribute more than backup QB, considering JP took every snap last year.

btw, Dante Hughes (formerly known as Daymeion), a logical alternative pick, had four tackles, two passes defended, an interception (great coverage on Chad Johnson) and a forced fumble Friday night for the Colts.
Here's a Colts fan thread about Hughes. They love him: http://forum.colts.com/showthread.php?t=20871

Now if Edwards turns out to be good and returns the value one way or the another, great. But it's not necessary to say something stupid like there was nothing else we could have done with the pick.