PDA

View Full Version : Coaching

BidsJr
08-31-2007, 08:47 AM
I hate to even bring this up cause I know where it is going to go, and that is a shame.

But.

Why didn't Dick challenge that catch by Peerless? I thought that had a good chance of being oveturned and sustaining the drive. Dumb move imho.

Also, the o-line looks terrible. I hope they are just running base protections not showing their cards.

I will say this, with the cost of the O-Line they better come out flying. I give McNally till week 4 and if the line isn't a strength on this team he needs to go.

Meathead
08-31-2007, 08:54 AM
yeah thats the only significant criticism i have of the dick, hes pretty bad at the whole challenge thing

at first i just chalked it up to being a very fast play, very hard to see live, easy to miss

and normally it wouldnt even matter much, being preseason. but his track record in the past on those has been so poor that they should be using the practice games to try to get that process down better. somebody upstairs should be ready to make the call or at least have some process on the sideline to make a decision

everybody misses tough calls like that sometimes but they can and do make a huge diff in a game. i would have liked to see them react better

Nighthawk
08-31-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm not sold on Dickey and his coaching abilities. We will just have to wait out the season and see how it goes, but he definitely doesn't instill confidence in the fans.

Earthquake Enyart
08-31-2007, 08:56 AM
How about spiking the ball instead of using that last time out right before halftime? Might have had time to throw one into the end zone.

Michael82
08-31-2007, 12:22 PM
I couldn't believe that we rushed to punt the ball instead of challenging it. What a dumb move! :mad:

OpIv37
08-31-2007, 12:37 PM
yeah thats the only significant criticism i have of the dick, hes pretty bad at the whole challenge thing

at first i just chalked it up to being a very fast play, very hard to see live, easy to miss

and normally it wouldnt even matter much, being preseason. but his track record in the past on those has been so poor that they should be using the practice games to try to get that process down better. somebody upstairs should be ready to make the call or at least have some process on the sideline to make a decision

everybody misses tough calls like that sometimes but they can and do make a huge diff in a game. i would have liked to see them react better

I agree with this, but Jauron's use of time outs also sucked. My impression of him from last year is that he's great at getting the team prepared for the game, but once kickoff starts, he doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

raphael120
08-31-2007, 01:00 PM
That is one thing the Bills announcers last night kept bringing up. Both those instances , challenge that play, and why are you spiking when you have a time out?

Just bad coaching calls right there and for a Ivy leaguer, youd think he'd be smart enough to knowa bout that ****.

justasportsfan
08-31-2007, 01:05 PM
I had no problem with Dick not challenging the call. coaches hate the 3rd preseason game. They don't even want to play this game. I too would want this game to move fast and get over with preseason. Now Ellison is injured.

OpIv37
08-31-2007, 01:08 PM
I had no problem with Dick not challenging the call. coaches hate the 3rd preseason game. They don't even want to play this game. I too would want this game to move fast and get over with preseason. Now Ellison is injured.

it was the 4th preseason game, not the 3rd. And I highly doubt anyone would have gotten injured during a challenge time out (well, maybe McCargo).

The purpose of pre season games is to practice and Jauron should have been practicing how he'd use challenges and time outs in a game. Making the game go 10 extram minutes or so isn't going to lead to increased injuries- that is a really lame premise.

justasportsfan
08-31-2007, 01:13 PM
it was the 4th preseason game, not the 3rd. .thanks..
And I highly doubt anyone would have gotten injured during a challenge time out (well, maybe McCargo). . Ellison is down. That's a fact.

You don't risk anymore players than you have to. Why challenge it , so that JP and Price can get on the field again and continue? FOR WHAT? RISK more injuries? No thanks.

I saw enough of JP and the starters. I cringed everytime the ball was snapped hoping nobody get's injured. The 4th preseason game is for final auditions.

The purpose of pre season games is to practice and Jauron should have been practicing how he'd use challenges and time outs in a game. Making the game go 10 extram minutes or so isn't going to lead to increased injuries- that is a really lame premise.

If he wanted to practice then he should've kept his starters in there for more than 2 series.

Why did he leave Evans out?

You may think it's lame, now we have one starter down . :rolleyes: If Ellisons replacement stinks it up , we know you'll be *****ing again and blaming MArv.

bigbub2352
08-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Jauron is a stop gap to settle things down after the TD debacle, we need to have a real GM in here not someone to sell tickets, sorry but anyone who thinks Marv is the one who picked the drafts is wrong it has been Modrak and Overdorf anf GUy, runnin this team, 1 more year and i think both might be gone, Marv should be for health reasons alone, i alwasy thought we should have gotten Mike Sherman!

bigbub2352
08-31-2007, 01:46 PM
He is way to light with his preseason, and i think makin Poz battle it out with Digorgio hurt his development as well

justasportsfan
08-31-2007, 01:51 PM
He is way to light with his preseason, and i think makin Poz battle it out with Digorgio hurt his development as well
who's? POZ or DiG?

I hope DiG get's a shot and ends up following the likes of Fletcher. I'm not sold on Crowell just yet and in case he fails at least POZ can play OLB IF DiG steps up.

bigbub2352
08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
u dont draft a LB in the second rnd not to start, and with his career at PSU and the money we r payin him he better start, DIg is good and i like him better than Ellison, play him there, same size, more speed, Poz needs to be this teams franchise MLB, Crowell should be a stud, not sold on Ellison

justasportsfan
08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
u dont draft a LB in the second rnd not to start,

I've always understood that but as a fan, how can you not want a player on your team to step up and play like a probowler if given the chance NO MATTER WHERE HE WAS DRAFTED? I want POZ to be a probowler and I want DiG to become one as well . I want DiG to be given the same chance as anyone on this team. If we're not careful about it and since the draft is a crapshoot, we may end up with several Mike Williams who can't play for crap but keep starting him because of where he was drafted.

and with his career at PSU and the money we r payin him he better start, DIg is good and i like him better than Ellison, play him there, same size, more speed, Poz needs to be this teams franchise MLB, Crowell should be a stud, not sold on Ellison I agree but let POZ earn the job just like JP had to inspite of what we gave up to draft him.

a 6th rd draft qb went on to replace the Pats' franchise qb because he was given a shot at it.

casdhf
08-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Right, Sherman left the packers in really good shape.

John Doe
08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
I've always understood that but as a fan, how can you not want a player on your team to step up and play like a probowler if given the chance NO MATTER WHERE HE WAS DRAFTED? I want POZ to be a probowler and I want DiG to become one as well . I want DiG to be given the same chance as anyone on this team. If we're not careful about it and since the draft is a crapshoot, we may end up with several Mike Williams who can't play for crap but keep starting him because of where he was drafted.

I agree but let POZ earn the job just like JP had to inspite of what we gave up to draft him.

a 6th rd draft qb went on to replace the Pats' franchise qb because he was given a shot at it.

You are on fire!

John Doe
08-31-2007, 03:16 PM
The team looked well coached to me.

Penalties way down.

Solid play from the reserve offensive line - even Pennington looked smooth.

Meathead
08-31-2007, 03:41 PM
My impression of him from last year is that he's great at getting the team prepared for the game, but once kickoff starts, he doesn't know what the hell he's doing.
i wouldnt put it quite like that but i have to admit i generally agree. hes not very good with tos and challenges thats for sure. and i will go to my grave insisting the bills taking the fg against the pats last season was the higher percentage move to win

marv was so good at that kinda stuff im surprised he hasnt tried to tutor dick a little

bigbub2352
08-31-2007, 04:33 PM

I agree but let POZ earn the job just like JP had to inspite of what we gave up to draft him.

Good point, i agree with u on Brady, but it is also safe to say i can list a mile long Qb's taken in the 6th round that never played a down in the NFL, Pats pulled one out of the arse on that one. I agree with u to let him earn it but isnt leading ur team in tackles for the preseason and making making plays everytime given the oppurtunity earning the spot, i have seen Dig miss alot of tackles, and yes he made some plays a nice one on Duckett last night, but still Poz is all over the place, and needs to play if he is gonna develop as a rookie is all i am sayin

justasportsfan
08-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Good point, i agree with u on Brady, but it is also safe to say i can list a mile long Qb's taken in the 6th round that never played a down in the NFL, Pats pulled one out of the arse on that one. I agree with u to let him earn it but isnt leading ur team in tackles for the preseason and making making plays everytime given the oppurtunity earning the spot, i have seen Dig miss alot of tackles, and yes he made some plays a nice one on Duckett last night, but still Poz is all over the place, and needs to play if he is gonna develop as a rookie is all i am sayin

I don't disagree at all but my point is, everyone get's a fair chance to genuinely compete for the job regardless of where they were drafted. Just like Peters ;)

If POZ is the future of this team, he will earn it no matter what. DiG won't have anything bad to say as long as he knows the competition was fair. It also sends a message to the other players that hard work and determination will be rewarded. ASk Crowell.

feldspar
08-31-2007, 05:57 PM
it was the 4th preseason game, not the 3rd. And I highly doubt anyone would have gotten injured during a challenge time out (well, maybe McCargo).

The only thing I can think of is that Jauron wanted to get a longer look at some of the guys on defense as opposed to the offensive guys, and that's why he didn't challenge the play; otherwise, not challenging the play makes absolutely no sense.

I agree with the people that say Jauron's game-time decisions can be very bad. He needs to work on that to say the least.

I still can't believe how he handled the last drive in the Tennessee game last year, with the entire season on the line and all. That's just one example.

BidsJr
08-31-2007, 06:08 PM
The only thing I can think of is that Jauron wanted to get a longer look at some of the guys on defense as opposed to the offensive guys, and that's why he didn't challenge the play; otherwise, not challenging the play makes absolutely no sense.

I agree with the people that say Jauron's game-time decisions can be very bad. He needs to work on that to say the least.

I still can't believe how he handled the last drive in the Tennessee game last year, with the entire season on the line and all. That's just one example.

Or maybe Dick just made a Bone headed mistake.

feldspar
08-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Or maybe Dick just made a Bone headed mistake.

Dick...Bone...???

Clean it up a little, mister.
:halo:

Meathead
08-31-2007, 07:19 PM
or maybe bone made a dick headed mistake

Buckets
08-31-2007, 07:24 PM
I hate to even bring this up cause I know where it is going to go, and that is a shame.

But.

Why didn't Dick challenge that catch by Peerless? I thought that had a good chance of being oveturned and sustaining the drive. Dumb move imho.

Because its preseason.

BidsJr
08-31-2007, 09:18 PM
Dick...Bone...???

Clean it up a little, mister.
:halo:

You're lucky I deleted the next line.

It had something to do with being rubbed the wrong way and exploding.

Typ0
08-31-2007, 11:38 PM
I think this is where we as fans miss the point of the pre-season and end up taking it too seriously. I don't think the challenge was even in play on the price catch. The coaches had that situation and wanted to run that play. They were interested in how the team responded to the outcome as much as the outcome itself. They had two calls on how the team moved based on if they got the first down or not. The catch was incomplete and they wanted to see how fast the punt team made the transition and ran the play. That was the situation they were looking at. Seeing how the team reacted to getting off the field and the punt team getting on and executing effectively was what was designed there not calling a challenge. Had the catch been ruled complete it would have been substitutions and moving down field and running another play. You have to look at small pieces of the puzzle sometimes that's what practice is for.

BillsFever21
08-31-2007, 11:42 PM

But.

Also, the o-line looks terrible. I hope they are just running base protections not showing their cards.

I will say this, with the cost of the O-Line they better come out flying. I give McNally till week 4 and if the line isn't a strength on this team he needs to go.

This is the same guy who called a timeout to decide if he wanted to challenge a play. He decided to and lost which cost him another timeout. Why call a timeout to decide. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Even if you lose it will cost you a timeout. Why call a timeout to think about it.