X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Our Linebackers

I have seen people on here saying that we dont have a good linebacking core, or that our linebackers are a very thin group.

I guess I am in the minority, but I like all of the linebackers we have on our roster. All of them.

I think that Crowell is a very good linebacker. Based on his season as a starter, I would have said a possible probowl level talent. Since then, he has battled some injuries, but he is still a very talented linebacker that has not reached his full potential. Unfortunately, like in most defensive systems run in the NFL, the strong side linebacker position is the least glorious out of all of them, but he is good in coverage, and I feel comfortable with Crowell having to line up against most TEs.

I know Posluszny is a rook, but obviously his talent, dedictation, and natural feel for his position have already helped him grab the starting spot. He has played well above what should be expected from most rookie linebackers, and I am 100% positive that he will only get better. I love the guy already, and he hasnt played a down for us yet. He has already made several statements endorsing Buffalo as a team and the city. He will be a fan favorite by years end, and I am glad he took Spikes number, so I can have my 2 Spikes jerseys altered.

Coy Wire was our best linebacker in the preseason imho, followed closely by Pos, but he made at least 2 big plays in each of the preseason games, be it a huge hit for a loss, a forced fumble, or pressure on the qb. He is very fast for a LB and hits like a truck. He also contributes a great deal to special teams. In his rookie year, he had close to 100 tackles as a strong saftey playing in the 46 defense, which essentially had him playing like a linebacker. He does not have elite coverage skills by any means, but he is not as awful as many here will have you believe. Your only going to notice him in coverage if he gets beat. He got beat once in the preseason (assuming that it was not a blown coverage that he was trying to make up for, which none of you could possibly know). Most linebackers dont have the experience he has a DB, so i have to believe that it will help him at some point. I think there is a very good possibility that he may not relinquish the starting role at weak side even when ellison gets back.

Ellison took a bunch of heat for some ugly break downs in the titans preseason game, but aside from that game, i did not think he played poorly. Was he stellar? no.. but he is still a young player and I think based on last years performance, which was incredible considering he was just a 6th rounder trying to make the team who was thrust into the starting spot in the first month of the season. He showed me enough last year to believe that he has a career in the nfl ahead of him. I think he is perfectly suited for the weakside spot. He just needs to learn to control his agression some so he doesnt overcommit/overpersue and he will be fine. His tackling was a bit suspect this preaseason, but I saw him tackle very well all last year, so i am going to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and base his tackling ability on what i saw in real games.

Stamer is a excellent special teamer and in the very limited times he has stepped into a real game, he has not hurt us. He is an average linebacker at best, but to me, his roster spot for a special teams ace is fine.

Digi was a pleasant surprise to see him progress so much from an undrafted free agent to guy challenging for the starting spot. People **** on his play alot in the preseason as well, but I watched his play very closely, and other than a few missed tackles that he should have had, and one coverage mistake, I thought he was very solid. as a back up who will continue to learn the position and grow, i think he is excellent and i would not be overly concerned if he had to fill in for a short time.

Haggan is the only guy that i am not crazy about, but he has shown some solid play for the most part. he is your prototypical back up linebacker in todays nfl. he contributes on special teams, he is a solid locker room guy with a good attitude, and he plays a large role on special teams and does it well.

that is my 2 cents if anyone cares.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • SquishDaFish
    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
    • Jun 2005

Re: Our Linebackers

I agree

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
      Legendary Zoner
      • Jul 2002

I think that this group will get more turnovers than last year's group.

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

i just dont understand all the complaints about the LB group though. I just dont get it.

it seems like people are basing their opinions on misinformation and not what is actually true.

They watch one bad play by someone in a preseason game, and all the sudden, that player X sucks balls for good.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• DMBcrew36
          • Feb 2005

I like Wire, Posluszny, Crowell. They're all beast and can lay a hard hit.

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
            i just dont understand all the complaints about the LB group though. I just dont get it.

it seems like people are basing their opinions on misinformation and not what is actually true.

They watch one bad play by someone in a preseason game, and all the sudden, that player X sucks balls for good.
            It's because you're judging how good they're against the other LB's who were on this roster. If you've watched any other NFL games this preseason, then you have had to see that there are other teams with better LB's on their teams. I just don't think these LB's are that great. I like Poz and Crowell, but the others are all just bodies on the roster. Stamer and Haggan are only ST players and neither is very good playing the LB position. DiGiorgio is average at best and Wire is on somebody's good side in the Bills organization because he should have been cut years ago. Granted, he showed some good things this preseason, but I repeatedly saw him get overpowered by OL. I would just like to see an infusion of talent at this position and the DL.

Comment

• Tatonka
              • Jul 2002

ok, since your an expert on other teams linebackers, go ahead and tell me what other teams have just incredible linebacker depth that dont have linebackers that are special teams aces.. just 6 great starters at linebacker?

i appreciate your knowledge and wisdom on the subject and look forward to your detailed response.

Comment

• casdhf
                • Jul 2002

Ther personnel fits the scheme. It's about the only unit where this is true.
                Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• BillsFever21
                  • Aug 2004

By the sound of your post there was more then one bad play. "If not for a few missed tackles and a blow coverage he didn't play that bad" Considering how much time they had on the field then yes that is pretty bad.

Wouldn't it be the same thing by saying player X is great by making one or two great plays in a preseason game(Coy Wire)

Comment

• shelby
                    The Vanilla *****
                    • Jul 2002

The biggest ***** i hear Wire haters say is that he can't defense the pass.
                    He is very good at stopping the run, in my opinion.

Of course, i've been a huge Wire fan since his rookie season.

Comment

• Stoneludlow
                      aka: STONEHENGE
                      • May 2005

Even before the regular season starts I'd like to voice an opinion on another LB that should be drafted this next draft, he's from PSU and is replacing Pos there. Dan Conner. He willbreak Pos's career Takle mark this season.

The Bills must like what they get from PA schools @ LB.
                      Shane Conlan & Jim Haslett come to mind and now POS.Pos is what they have lacked, a bonafided run stopper.
                      This has been a "View From the 'STONEHENGE'"

Comment

• RoanokeVABillsFan
                        • Sep 2005

If we're going to start talking about future linebackers and the draft, watch the linebacker from East Carolina Quentin Cotton #50. I've never seen him before, but this weekend in the Virginia Tech game he was all over the people and wasn't just tackling, he was destroying everyone he hit.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                          • Jul 2002

ok, since your an expert on other teams linebackers, go ahead and tell me what other teams have just incredible linebacker depth that dont have linebackers that are special teams aces.. just 6 great starters at linebacker?

i appreciate your knowledge and wisdom on the subject and look forward to your detailed response.
                          Ditto, please elaborate on why you think our LB's are so great? Please tell me why your opinion is so much more accurate than anybody else's?

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                            I like Wire, Posluszny, Crowell. They're all beast and can lay a hard hit.
                            IMO, these three are our best chance at stopping the run anyway. Wire is an upgrade over Ellison in run support and that's what we need right now.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by madness
                              Wire is an upgrade over Ellison in run support and that's what we need right now.
                              I disagree. Wire might be a slight improvement over Ellison but the drop off in pass coverage hurts. The team is going to have to scheme around that and I don't think they have the DBs to cover the need.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X