PDA

View Full Version : Concussions and the NFL

!Papacrunk!
09-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Like NE39, this is an issue that I thought has been quite interesting that SEEMS like it has gone by the wayside with the Vick problems. Sporting News had a very good read on the issue, but I can't seem to find the article on their site, so I'm going to have to find the magazine I read the article from.

I have to admit, like a lot of people it's always great to watch the "Jacked Up" segment on ESPN, or any big hit in the game itself, I guess it's human nature. But after reading about all of these current and former players that keep on playing with concussion after concussion it makes a person feel a bit guilty to put it ever so lightly. It's really bad to see some of these players get chewed up and spit out and replaced with another person that will go through the same thing just for a game that everyone loves. True, they put on the pads and sign the contracts, but it seems like players, agents and the NFL needs to get a better handle on this situation now instead of after.

Hopefully it won't be because of more players that are either suffering from severe depression, brain damage, early alzheimer's, or worse yet--suicides that may possibly be because of the damage done earlier. Goodell is taking a hard stance on off field issues, possibly because "bad" players may hurt the NFL's bottom line, but hopefully he will take the same harder stance on concussions and how to prevent and deal with players that suffer from them.

Ickybaluky
09-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Most of the Patriots use a mouthpiece that helps them avoid concussions. It was developed by a dentist in Weymouth, MA through his affiliation with former Middleweight fighter Marvin Hagler. His theory is the jaw helps absorb concussive blows if it is in the right position, and he developed the mouthpiece to make it happen.

The Patriots affiliated with him years ago, and have not had widespread problems with concussions. Many of their players still use the mouthpiece after leaving the team. The NFL has been slow to adopt it, mainly because the nutjob Jets team doctor they placed in charge of studying concussions (Eliot Pellman) was against it. Pellman has been moved into the background, so it may gain more attention now.

There are more players around the league using the new mouthpiece. I know Carolina Panthers LB Dan Morgan, who has a history of concussion problems, has started using it with his latest comeback.

If you want to read about it, check out this article:

LINK (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/03/30/with_mouthpiece_dentist_tackles_concussions/)

And, before you ask: No, Ted Johnson didn't use it.