PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How do you think Wire will do as a starting LB?

shelby
09-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Ellison seems to think he'll do ok...

Set to fill the void is Coy Wire, who was slated all along to be the first backup off the bench no matter where a starter might be lost in the linebacking corps due to injury.
"Coy is very intelligent," said Ellison. "I think he'll do a good job playing (weak side). He just has to get back into playing this week because he's spent much of the preseason on the strong side. He'll be fine. He'll be ready to go on Sunday."

Most of you know that i have been a huge fan of Wire since he was drafted in 2002 as a safety. Now he is returning to his natural LB position. He excelled at Stanford. i think he will do well and that a lot of y'all will be surprised at his performance.

Thoughts?

casdhf
09-03-2007, 08:45 AM
I think we'll only notice him once a game when he blows a coverage. I guess that means he'll be ok.

Mitchy moo
09-03-2007, 08:54 AM
He's playing his natural position, he'll be fine.

Meathead
09-03-2007, 09:03 AM
:rockout:

Tatonka
09-03-2007, 09:19 AM
he will have at least 2 big plays.. be it a sack, forced or recovered fumble, hard tackle for a loss...

he might not give the job back to ellison.

mikemac2001
09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I think he is gonna surprise us...i can see him getting a sack and a few big hits in the backfield...i love how intense he has always played

HHURRICANE
09-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Ellison seems to think he'll do ok...

Most of you know that i have been a huge fan of Wire since he was drafted in 2002 as a safety. Now he is returning to his natural LB position. He excelled at Stanford. i think he will do well and that a lot of y'all will be surprised at his performance.

Thoughts?

We had a guy named Leonard Smith who played on the Bills during some of the SB run. He would have dumb penalties on occassion and miss a play here and there. However, he caused teams to make alot of mistakes because he would just drill them once they caught the ball.

Wire reminds me of that kind of guy. I think he is going to lay some lumber throughout the year and cause fumbles, etc. I also think he is going to make some mistakes that you are going to get really frustarted over.

I do think the turnovers that he causes will outweigh his mistakes.

Scumbag College
09-03-2007, 09:47 AM
He played well during the preseason. I'm a big Ellison fan, but Wire will make some plays for the Bills. I'd like to see what he can do blitzing on pass plays and if he can get to the QB.

MTBillsFan
09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
For the first time in his career, he's playing his natural position! I think he'll have a big game, if not a big year!

ParanoidAndroid
09-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I think he will be good blitzing from the weak side, but shedding blocks and getting through traffic when the guard or center pulls in his direction could be an issue. All-in-all, I don't think he is a downgrade from Ellison if the pre-season is any indication....indeed, if that is the case, he looks like an upgrade.

Meathead
09-03-2007, 10:24 AM
I think he is gonna surprise us
what us white man

Meathead
09-03-2007, 10:32 AM
look lets be honest wire struggled as a safety when he had to cover tes. thats basically a deal breaker as a safety cuz thats one of your primary jobs, but as a lb you have far less cover responsibilities and when you do its usually a rb or as a double on a te. its a good thing hes on the weak side cuz he will get less cover responsibilities there but when he does he should be better than the average lb at that task

his strengths have always been quickness, tackling, and hard hitting. thats a great combo for a wlb. he should have better than average hands for a lb after all those reps as safety so a pick wouldnt at all be a surprise. and the way he hits a fumble seems like an inevitability before too long

im really looking forward to seeing him play a whole game at that spot

patmoran2006
09-03-2007, 11:04 AM
I dont think he'll hold up over a long stretch of time.

He'll be better than Ellison against the run, and worse against the pass.

oak tree 12
09-03-2007, 11:23 AM
He's playing his natural position, he'll be fine.

you people obviously do not realize the enormity of loosing ellison the one thing we could not afford with our defense was to get injuries due to our lack of quality depth,now we loose denny and ellison. if wire was better than ellison then he would be starting and not ellison. do any of you remember DJ saying how happy he was with ellison and his coverage abilities due to the fact that he also played safety in his early college career. according to DJ the bills in their nickle packages where going to use ellison as sort of a hybrid safety and they were going to use him covering slot receivers either running backs,tight ends or third receivers. with this injury now all that goes out the window and they have to change the nickel defense they were going to use until he returns because everyone knows wire cannot cover anyone.
anyone who thinks wire will be fine is crazy we just lost one of our biggest play makers in the front seven the other 2 being schoebel and crowell,do you all forget how many int's he was getting in the pre season practices. DJ and fuell just lost a big part of what they wanted to do with this defense this year,its a different story now with wire out there and anyone who thinks its OK is nuts!!!!!

oak tree 12
09-03-2007, 11:29 AM
he will have at least 2 big plays.. be it a sack, forced or recovered fumble, hard tackle for a loss...

he might not give the job back to ellison.

i dont want to be insulting but your comments are just ridiculous I guarantee you denver is licking their chops knowing that wire is our starting WLB.
just because he is a good guy does not mean he is a good football player,he is what he is and that's a great character guy and a good special teamer and anyone who wants him starting anywhere in our defense is clueless!!!!!!

Mitchy moo
09-03-2007, 11:30 AM
you people obviously do not realize the enormity of loosing ellison the one thing we could not afford with our defense was to get injuries due to our lack of quality depth,now we loose denny and ellison. if wire was better than ellison then he would be starting and not ellison. do any of you remember DJ saying how happy he was with ellison and his coverage abilities due to the fact that he also played safety in his early college career. according to DJ the bills in their nickle packages where going to use ellison as sort of a hybrid safety and they were going to use him covering slot receivers either running backs,tight ends or third receivers. with this injury now all that goes out the window and they have to change the nickel defense they were going to use until he returns because everyone knows wire cannot cover anyone.
anyone who thinks wire will be fine is crazy we just lost one of our biggest play makers in the front seven the other 2 being schoebel and crowell,do you all forget how many int's he was getting in the pre season practices. DJ and fuell just lost a big part of what they wanted to do with this defense this year,its a different story now with wire out there and anyone who thinks its OK is nuts!!!!!

Winners make adjustments, losers make excuses.

Mitchy moo
09-03-2007, 11:44 AM
i dont want to be insulting but your comments are just ridiculous I guarantee you denver is licking their chops knowing that wire is our starting WLB.
just because he is a good guy does not mean he is a good football player,he is what he is and that's a great character guy and a good special teamer and anyone who wants him starting anywhere in our defense is clueless!!!!!!

Denver gets down big early, then this scenario may happen.

casdhf
09-03-2007, 11:46 AM
He weighs 200 pounds right?

Mitchy moo
09-03-2007, 11:48 AM
He weighs 200 pounds right?

wet.

Earthquake Enyart
09-03-2007, 12:07 PM
I like him better on the weak side than the strong side. He can't even cover a TE.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-03-2007, 03:49 PM
I will have to see him in real games to make my decision....I hope he is great but I am not optimistic at this point.

tat2dmike77
09-03-2007, 04:01 PM
I dont think he'll hold up over a long stretch of time.

He'll be better than Ellison against the run, and worse against the pass.

Do you hate everything or just the bills?

Oaf
09-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I just don't know how his 220 pound frame will fill and hold up against 330 lb lineman, 275 lb TEs, and for that matter, power backs. However, b/c of his tough mentality, I think he'll do alright.