• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

The Biggest Reason Why This Team Is Routinely Bad

I’ve had many recent discussions with friends of mine concerning the Bills. Some of them have been with Bills fans, while others are from fans of different teams. The subject pretty much always turn to the same topic.

“Why does this and why has this team sucked so bad?”

I think there’s been a lot of factors which have led to this team being the poster child for mediocrity since the turn of the century. The first is maybe the most obvious; poor head coaching. Greg Williams was not ready to be a head coach when he got the job in 2001, and Mike Mularkey didn’t have the ability to manage a team (or a game) when he followed suit. The jury is still out on Dick Jauron, though his track record is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Huge blunders on draft day have also contributed. Drafting Mike Williams fourth overall in 2002 was one of the worst decisions in the history of this franchise. Willis McGahee was a senseless and borderline cocky pick by Tom Donnahoe when we already had a valuable workhorse in Travis Henry. There’s been many other mistakes along the way as well.

But to me, the most logical explanation is total incompetence by both our GMs (Donahoe and then Levy) in the free agent market. I did research and looked up pretty much all of our free agents signed over the past seven years. I even skipped over some of the no-names that were signed to be little more than camp fodder. Even after that, the success rate we’ve hit on our free agents during this span is deplorable. When you examine this list and the players that were signed to fill important roles on this team it’s easy to see why this has been such a horridly run franchise; which of course translates onto the playing field on Sundays. It’s a simple formula; the front office targets players that are supposed to make the organization a better football team, and they sign them, sometimes to significant money to fill out the roster.

A look at our past seven years of free agency.

-2007- (Marv Levy)
    Derrick Dockery- ??? Firmly entrenched as the starting left guard. We’ll have to see.

Langston Walker-??? Starting at right tackle. Given the release of Terence Pennington, the team has confidence in him. I do not but to be unbiased we have to wait and see.

Jason Whittle-- Had every opportunity to win the starting RG spot but couldn’t beat out Butler despite him missing a month of camp.

Jason Webster- Taking over for Nate Clements. It’s pretty obvious already that’s not good news.

Al Wallace- was recently signed and played all of one game before going to the Injured Reserve list.

Overall Grade: Incomplete of course.
    ======================================================

---2006--- (Marv Levy)
    Andre Davis: Helped on special teams, did nothing as a WR. Wasn’t resigned and is gone.

Tutan Reyes: Total bust. Began as a starter, was cut by the end of the season.

Matt Bowen: Another guy who did nothing and was released after just one year.

Peerless Price: Starting #2 WR. Had two huge catches last season but did little else through the other 14 games. 8.2 YPC was worst among starting WR’s in the NFL. Not solid #2 production though his salary says otherwise.

Larry Tripplett: $17 million over 5 years yet was for the most part irrelevant and did nothing this preseason to change that. Given his salary, he looks like a bust.

Anthony Thomas: Valuable backup to McGahee last year. Was resigned this year only to see Bills use 2 of first 4 draft picks on RBs after. Doesn’t hurt any team he’s on but by no means is an impact player.

Craig Nall: Simply put, a horrible signing. Gave the guy a $1.3 signing bonus with Levy thinking he could compete for a starting spot. He couldn’t beat out Holcomb last year and he couldn’t beat out a rookie this time around. He’s already been cut. Had he amounted to anything we might not have had to waste a day one draft pick on a QB just one year later.

Kiwaukee Thomas: Fine backup player.

Robert Royal: Continues the Bills tradition of garbage production from the TE spot.

Melvin Fowler: The good news is he’s the Bills starting center. The bad news is that’s because we don’t have anybody else. Preston has been a complete waste. Sadly, he may be the best signing of this lot.

Aaron Gibson: Couldn’t make the team.

Overall Grade: F-, one of the worst FA classes I’ve ever seen.
    =======================================================

---2005--- (Tom Donahoe)
    Mike Gandy: Started at both tackle and guard over the past two seasons. That’s exactly why the OL has been the weak spot of our team for nearly a decade.

Bennie Anderson: Was a colossal failure and cut after just one season.

RaShad Lee (RB): Never did anything for us.

Kelly Holcomb: Decent backup quarterback but may have hindered Losman’s development. Still given the situation (Bledsoe released) and his salary, it was a wise signing.

Overall Grade: D. Donahoe tried to address the OL through FA with new starters in Anderson and Gandy. The thinking was good, but the personnel decisions as usual were terrible.
    ========================================================

---2004---- (Tom Donahoe)
    Troy Vincent: Helped out the young guys and played decent, but was a shell of his former pro bowl self by the time he came to Buffalo.

Oliver Gibson (T): Did nothing for us and couldn’t even make the team.

Overall Grade: D. Vincent played hard and was a good mentor to the younger guys, but was way past his prime.

---2003--- (Tom Donahoe)
    Takeo Spikes: Biggest FA signing since Bryce Paup. The guy was a warrior for us for three seasons before suffering the unfortunate injury. One of the few impact signings the Bills have made this decade where the player was a difference maker.

Jeff Posey: Inconsistent and never seemed to fit in well with our defense.

Sam Adams: Started out as a powerhouse for us in the middle along with Pat Williams but slowly regressed until benched by Mularkey in 2005 before being released. Overall was a good signing.

Bobby Shaw: Did very little to help the team.

Izzel Reese: See Bobby Shaw.

Orlandis Gary: Was expected to be a chain-moving RB for the team. It never happened.

James Jett: Never made the team.

Rian Lindell: Still the kicker today. Solid pickup.

Laywer Milloy: Played great his first season, before missing give games in 2004 and seeing his play radically digress in 2005 in which he was released.

Overall Grade: B. Until his injury, Spikes was worth every penny. He brought an attitude to the defense that seen them ranked near the top of the league two straight seasons. Adams was a force until the team decided to not resign Pat Williams. Rian Lindell has been solid if not unspectacular as the kicker going into his fourth year with the club. Milloy started off well before seeing father time diminish his skills. Posey was productive only at times and the rest of the lot was meaningless, but overall still by far our best FA class of the decade.
    ======================================================

---2002--- (Tom Donahoe)
    London Fletcher: Easily the best FA signing the team made during this era. He never made the Pro bowl though he should’ve. He was the heart and soul of this defense for four years and will best remembered (to me) as one of the few players on the team who didn’t pack it in during the horrible 2005 season. The change in defensive scheme last season made him less of an impact player but he still led the team in both interceptions (4) and defensive touchdowns (2).

Dave Moore: Decent backup TE at best. Good blocker, bad pass catcher.
    Marcus Price: Played well as a backup to both tackle spots.

Trey Teague: Was too small and weak to be a good starting center.

Chris Watson: One of the worst coverage DBs this team has ever seen.

Eddie Robinson: Looked like he was 87-years old by the time he got to the Bills.
    Mike Hollis: Kicked for the club for exactly one year.

Chidi Ahanotu: Despite his cool last name, he was hardly a factor for the defense.

Overall Grade: C-. Fletcher saved this lot from being graded a F.

---2001--- (Tom Donahoe)
    Larry Centers: The only real FA signing that season, Donahoe gets a pass because he inherited a team in salary cap jail after John Butler. Centers was a reliable pass catching fullback who did a good job.

Overall Grade: C

So to summarize, over the past seven seasons I’ve listed 39 of the free agents we’ve signed. Only two of them (Takeo Spikes and London Fletcher) have turned out to be impact free agents that made this organization a better football team. Centers, Adams and Milloy turned out to be decent pickups. If you want to be really generous, I’ll even go ahead and list a kicker (Lindell) in this group. In fact, I’ll go ahead and pencil in Dockery ahead of time as an impact pickup.

That leaves the Bills at hitting on about 18% of their free agents during that span. That will simply never get it done.

You can draft all the talent in the world, but as long as you’re filling out your roster with unproductive and at times expensive free agents; as the Bills seem to do 80%+ of the time, then you’re a team that will continue to go through the recycling stages of rebuilding.

It’s of my opinion that until the Bills bring in a general manager who has the gift to pluck productive free agents at a far more successful clip, this is a team that unless they catch lightening in a bottle; will continue to finish in the bottom third of the league.

When you look at the 17 free agents listed over the past two seasons and even after prematurely giving Dockery the “impact player” label, it’s a pretty repulsive success percentage.

Again, there’s been many other factors that have gone into the Bills merry go ‘round of mediocrity seven years and running; bad coaching, some poor draft choices, etc--- but it’s fairly evident that no factor has been more prevalent than utter horrible decision making in the free agent process and selections.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • mikemac2001
    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
    • Mar 2003

Re: The Biggest Reason Why This Team Is Routinely Bad

Wow dude to long.....

We were bad because we had bad coaching and bad drafts....

Hopefully Marv and Co

Can fix that...... sometimes you go threw a low dark time but i trust marv he is a smart man and understands the game and i love him

MUCK
    FIAMI

Comment

• ScottLawrence
      • Jan 2004

I could tell you exactly why.

The QB position has been inconsistent and just plain bad the past several years for this team.

Had Donahoe not traded for Bledsoe, I gurantee he would still be our GM here and this team would've been in the playoffs in 2003 and for sure in 2004.

LIke I've said before if Losman takes control of the offense, does much better with the intermediate throws, and moves the chains consistently then I think we will be in playoff contention until the last week of the season.

Unless you have a tremendous defense thats very good at forcing turnovers, you need a top QB to make the playoffs and win games in the league today.
      You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ScottLawrence

Unless you have a tremendous defense thats very good at forcing turnovers, you need a top QB to make the playoffs and win games in the league today.
        When the line in front of you is terrible, your QB becomes less of a factor. How we're our O-lines during the late 80's / early 90's?

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

did you cut and paste that from somewhere else? what is up with the wierd font and large letters?

from what i read.. i agree.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

The two common denominators

John Guy - Pro Personal Director since 2001

Owner Ralph Wilson Buttinski in charge since he first fired Saban the first time.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• mikemac2001
              • Mar 2003

1986 buf | 2 5 0 | 0 0 |
              | 1987 buf | 7 8 0 | 0 0 |
              | 1988 buf | 12 4 0 | 1 1 |
              | 1989 buf | 9 7 0 | 0 1 |
              | 1990 buf | 13 3 0 | 2 1 |
              | 1991 buf | 13 3 0 | 2 1 |
              | 1992 buf | 11 5 0 | 3 1 |
              | 1993 buf | 12 4 0 | 2 1 |
              | 1994 buf | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |
              | 1995 buf | 10 6 0 | 1 1 |
              | 1996 buf | 10 6 0 | 0 1 |
              | 1997 buf | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |

It took marv 2 years to get the team where he wanted he showed improvement tho so i want to see this team head in right directions and then stay at that level and more.....which means not a NEW QB NEW COACH NEW SCHEME every 3 years all that does is create a setback each time and we will continue to be 5-11

MUCK
              FIAMI

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                • Sep 2003

I stopped reading here.

Huge blunders on draft day have also contributed. Drafting Mike Williams fourth overall in 2002 was one of the worst decisions in the history of this franchise.
                EVERYONE at the time thought this was the right move. You CANNOT blame the GM for things that cannot be forseen. Well, you can, but it makes your judgement come into severe question.
                "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mikemac2001
                  1986 buf | 2 5 0 | 0 0 |
                  | 1987 buf | 7 8 0 | 0 0 |
                  | 1988 buf | 12 4 0 | 1 1 |
                  | 1989 buf | 9 7 0 | 0 1 |
                  | 1990 buf | 13 3 0 | 2 1 |
                  | 1991 buf | 13 3 0 | 2 1 |
                  | 1992 buf | 11 5 0 | 3 1 |
                  | 1993 buf | 12 4 0 | 2 1 |
                  | 1994 buf | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |
                  | 1995 buf | 10 6 0 | 1 1 |
                  | 1996 buf | 10 6 0 | 0 1 |
                  | 1997 buf | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |

It took marv 2 years to get the team where he wanted he showed improvement tho so i want to see this team head in right directions and then stay at that level and more.....which means not a NEW QB NEW COACH NEW SCHEME every 3 years all that does is create a setback each time and we will continue to be 5-11
                  all that does is show the importance of picking the right personnel and the right scheme, because if it doesn't work after 3 years, sticking with it is even dumber than disrupting things by changing it.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mikemac2001
                    • Mar 2003

Exactly Like i said

We were bad because we had bad coaching and bad drafts....

Hopefully Marv and Co

Can fix that...... sometimes you go threw a low dark time but i trust marv he is a smart man and understands the game and i love him

MUCK
                    FIAMI

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                      I stopped reading here.

EVERYONE at the time thought this was the right move. You CANNOT blame the GM for things that cannot be forseen. Well, you can, but it makes your judgement come into severe question.
                      what you're basically saying is that scouting is pointless because GM's who make decisions on who to draft based on the scouts' reports aren't responsible for drafting a bust. I know there is never a sure thing in the draft, but some teams are certainly better at drafting and avoiding busts than others, so there must be some element of skill to it and some accountability.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mikemac2001
                        • Mar 2003

Im saying coaching and front office matter but when u keep firing your coaches and changing schemes all you are doing is setting the team back. i think sometimes we fire coaches to quickly and then we hurt developments of players

MUCK
                        FIAMI

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

I dont disagree that any points anyone has made about other reasons aren't valid.. They certainly are. Bad coaching, some bad drafts at times, inconsistent QB play, etc are all MAJOR factors as well.

But to me, as I researched that list it had never previously hit me just how pathetic our FO has been over seven years in scouring FA talent.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            what you're basically saying is that scouting is pointless because GM's who make decisions on who to draft based on the scouts' reports aren't responsible for drafting a bust. I know there is never a sure thing in the draft, but some teams are certainly better at drafting and avoiding busts than others, so there must be some element of skill to it and some accountability.
                            You certainly took a couple leaps in that logic. I'm saying that not just the Bills scouts, but the scouts of most of the teams thought he was going to be an extremely good tackle, and worthy of the 4th pick. Taking him on that basis hardly means that it was one of the worst decisions in franchise history. There are many decisions that have been made where everyone KNEW it was a bad move.
                            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Skooby
                              When the line in front of you is terrible, your QB becomes less of a factor. How we're our O-lines during the late 80's / early 90's?
                              Your proving my point.

the O-Line HAS been terrible in front our QB's over the past several years, and far and way the reason is because our FO has continously made the wrong decisions via FA.

Look at all the guys we've signed as a free agent during our span to be STARTERS on this OL.

Trey Teague, Chris Villarrial (who I forgot to include on the original list), Mike Gandy, Bennie Anderson, Tutan Reyes, Melvin Fowler.

That's a half-dozen FA's that were not only signed as FA, but as starters. None of them were effective for this team at all. I fear Langston Walker will be remembered as a part of this mess in two years (but in his defense that's wrong to include someone who hasn't played yet)

Regardless of how you feel about Walker though, its evident that our FA choices have sucked, and none more than the OL side of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X