PDA

View Full Version : Reche Caldwell Released.

Bone
09-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Just saw it on ESPN, I doubt the Bills are going to go after him though.

mikemac2001
09-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Mr clutch....No way

OpIv37
09-03-2007, 01:06 PM
I say give him the old Freddy Smith treatment- sign him for a week to get some insight on the Pats offense then cut him.

Night Train
09-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Drops passes, then tries to push his eyeballs out of his sockets in disgust.

The circus is calling.

JJamezz
09-03-2007, 01:20 PM

The circus is calling.

:rofl:

PECKERWOOD
09-03-2007, 01:22 PM

The circus is calling.

Would be an upgrade but I agree about his eyeballs. Can be annoying.

duhbilz
09-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I think it would be a wise move from the standpoint of getting some more knowledge of the Pats offense. Wasn't he also the Pats leading WO last year? I'm not gonna say he's a huge upgrade as far as his talent, but getting the goods on the Pats...priceless!!

mikemac2001
09-03-2007, 01:39 PM
IDK i hate those eyes so huge no for me

Mr. Miyagi
09-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Here he is!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/Who_cares_67/joked-dot-com-jennifer-wilbanks-eye.jpg

Mr. Pink
09-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey NE39...question on this one...

Was Reche pushed out due to the crucial drop in the AFC championship game last year vs Indy or was it just a numbers game? Possibly a combination of the two?

Ickybaluky
09-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey NE39...question on this one...

Was Reche pushed out due to the crucial drop in the AFC championship game last year vs Indy or was it just a numbers game? Possibly a combination of the two?

I don't think the AFC Championship game had anything to do with it. Belichick spoke very highly of Reche's performance last year and liked him.

He had 2 drops in that game, both of which people make too much out of. Jabar Gaffney scored a TD after one drop, so that didn't matter. The other was on 1st and 15 in the Red Zone and he had a chance to get at least a good chunk of that yardage back, but it wasn't the reason they lost.

Overall last year Reche was the Pats most consistent player (start to finish) at WR. He had a pretty good year for them, even if he probably was forced to play more than would have been best for the team (he'd be a great 3rd WR).

He was cut this year because the Pats have too many guys ahead of him. Moss, Stallworth and Welker were all brought in and will play key roles ahead of Caldwell. Gaffney had a great training camp, which coming off of a stellar performance in last year's playoffs put him ahead of Caldwell on the depth chart.

The Pats traditionally only carry 5 WR, and with Troy Brown and Chad Jackson both on the PUP (and eligible to come back sometime after week 6) and Bam Childress and C.J. Jones on the PS they weren't worried about depth.

Thus, it came down to Kelley Washington vs. Reche Caldwell for the final WR position.

Caldwell was due to make $1.55M in salary and had a cap number of $1.65M. He does not play on any ST.

Washington is due to make $600K in salary and has a cap number of 660K. He plays on the coverage teams and is a very good punt gunner.

Washington just makes more sense as a 5th WR because he is a million dollars cheaper and played on ST, making Caldwell the odd guy out.

The Pats probably figured they would try and trade Caldwell, but when they found no interest figured they would just release him.

Reche did a great job for the Pats and I wish him well in his next job. Someone will pick him up, and he will help them.

CuseJetsFan83
09-04-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't think the AFC Championship game had anything to do with it. Belichick spoke very highly of Reche's performance last year and liked him.

He had 2 drops in that game, both of which people make too much out of. Jabar Gaffney scored a TD after one drop, so that didn't matter. The other was on 1st and 15 in the Red Zone and he had a chance to get at least a good chunk of that yardage back, but it wasn't the reason they lost.

Overall last year Reche was the Pats most consistent player (start to finish) at WR. He had a pretty good year for them, even if he probably was forced to play more than would have been best for the team (he'd be a great 3rd WR).

He was cut this year because the Pats have too many guys ahead of him. Moss, Stallworth and Welker were all brought in and will play key roles ahead of Caldwell. Gaffney had a great training camp, which coming off of a stellar performance in last year's playoffs put him ahead of Caldwell on the depth chart.

The Pats traditionally only carry 5 WR, and with Troy Brown and Chad Jackson both on the PUP (and eligible to come back sometime after week 6) and Bam Childress and C.J. Jones on the PS they weren't worried about depth.

Thus, it came down to Kelley Washington vs. Reche Caldwell for the final WR position.

Caldwell was due to make $1.55M in salary and had a cap number of $1.65M. He does not play on any ST.

Washington is due to make $600K in salary and has a cap number of 660K. He plays on the coverage teams and is a very good punt gunner.

Washington just makes more sense as a 5th WR because he is a million dollars cheaper and played on ST, making Caldwell the odd guy out.

The Pats probably figured they would try and trade Caldwell, but when they found no interest figured they would just release him.

Reche did a great job for the Pats and I wish him well in his next job. Someone will pick him up, and he will help them.

im surprise no one has shown any interest in him, although, they (being any team other than NE) may play the waiting game and sign after week 1

Ickybaluky
09-04-2007, 08:58 AM
im surprise no one has shown any interest in him, although, they (being any team other than NE) may play the waiting game and sign after week 1

He just got cut, and every other team in the NFL just set their rosters.

He'll get some interest. He had a good year last year. He isn't a lead receiver, but he can get open and catch the ball. He can help someone.

CuseJetsFan83
09-04-2007, 02:29 PM
He just got cut, and every other team in the NFL just set their rosters.

He'll get some interest. He had a good year last year. He isn't a lead receiver, but he can get open and catch the ball. He can help someone.

i think he's a quality 2 or 3 receiver for pretty much anyone...... my reasoning for the cut is you had too many high options..... and much like you stated, washingtons ST appeal is what may have sealed a fate.....

i would love to see caldwell come to the darkside of gang-green

Ickybaluky
09-04-2007, 04:15 PM
i would love to see caldwell come to the darkside of gang-green

The Jets are pretty solid at WR as well, and would run into the same issue with him being down the depth chart and playing ST.

Washington is one team that is rumored to have some interest in him (big surprise there). Tennessee should look at him, IMO, but I'm not sure if they will.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2007, 07:51 PM
I spoke too soon, Reche is in NY visiting with the Jets today (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/09/reche_visits_je.html).

Of course, it could just be the Jets grilling him for info, considering they play the Patriots this week. Last week they had Artrell Hawkins in for a visit right after the Pats cut him. Plus, they signed Mike Elgin, a 7th round pick the Pats just cut, to their PS.

CuseJetsFan83
09-05-2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8020de76&template=with-video&confirm=true

pretty much that adam schefter ive heard from is finally posted.. pretty much says the same thing