Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

2006-07 defensively

OUT/// IN
    Nate Clements ///Jason Webster
    London Fletcher/// Paul Posluszny
    Takeo Spikes/// Coy Wire

Other 8 starters = Same as last year.

Personally, I think our schedule is brutal this year; especially against quality QB's and RB's not in our division.

Realistically, how is this defense not worse than it was last year, which was pretty damn bad to begin with? At BESt, its as good as last years, which isnt even close to being good enough.

I'm not trying to be critical; I'm being real. If someone can come up with something other than "we ran this defense last year and understand it better" as something I'm not seeing, please let me know.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • rschepise
    Zoner
    • May 2005

Re: 2006-07 defensively

I really don't believe our defense will be as bad as everyone thinks. That main thing affecting us right now is injury at the DE position. Hargrove and Denney are two very good backups and really solidified our defensive end position. Our DT's are not as bad as everyone thinks. Tripplett and Williams are solid, also, (This may cause a lot of disaggreement) MCargo and Tim Anderson have looked a lot better to me in the preseason. I really can't comment on Jason Jefferson because I really haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. I wish they could have been able to work something out with Darwin Walker because they could have rotated the combination of Tripplett, Anderson, and Williams on first and second down. Then had MCargo play the 1 and Walker play 3 on 3rd and long situations. I worry about Tripplet being overused and tiring out, since the cover 2 relies so heavily on frequent defensive line rotation.

I really like what I've seen of Eric Powell so far. I hope we can sign another end to solidify our rotation until our two ends get back. Once Denney and Hardrove get back, our defensive line should be solid. In terms of our losses:

Takeo Spikes: Honestly he has played a total of 4 games for us in the past two years and played like a shell of his former self. He started to come on the last game against Baltimore, but was really a nonfactor when we started to make our playoff run. Ellison offers more speed then spikes, but sacrafices a little strengh. Coy Wire has looked like an absolute beast in the preseaon and, if I recalled correctly, looked like a beast last year when he started against the Jets at the Meadowlands in the game we won. In conclusion, not a big loss.

London Fletcher: He was the heart and soul of this defense, but Poz is a rare bread. This guy has been an absolute beast in the preseason and was an accomplished collegiate athlete. Fletch was great, but Poz has all pro talent.

Nate Clements: This is the only major loss. He is going to be tough to replace. He really started to come on the last nine games last year. His tackling ability and prowess to shut down top flight recievers will be surely missed. Hopefully, the improvement will of Donte, Mcgee, and Ko can alliviate this loss a little bit. As good as Clements is doesn't justify the type of contract he got.

In conclusion, our only major loss this offseason was Nate Clements and our defense will not be as bad as everyone thinks. Our injuries on the D-line and Ellison will hurt but once this defense is at full strenth I expect it to be on the precipice of a top flight defense by the end of the season. (Assuming we don't suffer any major losses to injury)

Comment

• AndreReed83
      Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
      • Mar 2004

Actually. I think most people have been realistic when it comes to this defense and admit that it will do worse than last year's team. I just think many people are 1) optimistic about some of the very good, young talent occupying the defense. and 2) tired of an offseason of pissing and moaning about EVERYTHING Bills. Most fans have been ready for the regular season and just want to enjoy a game, instead of debating positives and negatives.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
      "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• ScottLawrence
        • Jan 2004

I'll say that these players are much faster, and more fit for the system we run.(Meaning Posluszny, and Wire)

I don't think theres any question we will miss Clements.
        You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• djjimkelly
          • Apr 2003

i think this D is going to give up some long ass drives like 14 plays for 70 yards.

however is that really any different then the last couple years.

i truly do believe we have better play makers in the making over the last few years D's simpson whitner severely trump milloy and vincent.

the D will be solid in games we can actually stop run and piss poor in games we cant

Comment

• BillsPride12
            • Dec 2004

There's no doubt that as a whole this defense is going to be bad, ok terrible. This year is going to be all about watching our young talent develop and seeing if we do have a good foundation to build this defense into a contender, we need to see if guys like Whitner, Posluszny, Simpson and Crowell are the real deal. We already know guys like Tim Anderson and Larry Tripplett are not and they need to be replaced asap. Whether the coaches admit it or not, its pretty clear to most Bills fans we are still in the early stages of a rebuilding process on D.

Comment

• raphael120
              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
              • Oct 2005

Well, first things first.

lesson number 1...

TACKLE!

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

I am not saying their are losses at those positions. I hink Poz will do some things better than Fletcher and then other things worse then Fletcher. I was very impressed on how he shut down Atlanta at the goal line in the second pre-season game. Fletcher while I liked him never was a huge stuffer at the line of scrimmage.
                Spikes only had a few good games last year. I still wish he wanted to play here because if he can stay healthy I think he will have a pretty good year.
                Clements getting replaced by Webster is a big loss but I think their bench is pretty good at DB. Buffalo in my opinion does not have a #1 DB but has great depth at the position.
                However what has many fans optonistic is some of the youth are more experienced. McCargo, Williams, Whitner, Simpson, etc. all should be much better this year.
                I am am very nervous about the defense but I do think the potential is there to do good.

Comment

• duhbilz
                  S.Jersey #1 fan of Daunte Culpeper where he may play
                  • Jul 2007

I don't think the Defense will be that bad, the talent level around the league is very close from team to team. Look at the Pats during their SB runs, they only had a few big name players on either side of the ball, but they believed in what they were doing and the coaching was far more important to their success then their talent. Now if you wanna talk coaching then maybe we have an issue.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                    • Sep 2003

I will say the same thing that I have repeated in the past, you have to look at the whole picture! This defense is designed to take away the big play, put pressure on the Qb using only 4 linemen and speed speed speed. But, (here is the whole pic part) the OFFENSE needs to put points on the board and force the opponent to pass (the strength of this defense). If our offenese sputters and averages 17 points a game expect 6-10 or 7-9. If this offense can produce an avg. of 24 PPG expect 9-7 to 10-6!

Comment

• xXSpIkes5IXx
                      • Mar 2006

Defensively this year we are relying on young players like whitner, simpson, poz, kyle williams, and mccargo

plain and simple, we need them to be better than they were last year, and for poz, step in and make an impact

Otherwise we are worse than the defense last year.

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by rschepise
                        I really don't believe our defense will be as bad as everyone thinks. That main thing affecting us right now is injury at the DE position. Hargrove and Denney are two very good backups and really solidified our defensive end position. Our DT's are not as bad as everyone thinks. Tripplett and Williams are solid, also, (This may cause a lot of disaggreement) MCargo and Tim Anderson have looked a lot better to me in the preseason. I really can't comment on Jason Jefferson because I really haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. I wish they could have been able to work something out with Darwin Walker because they could have rotated the combination of Tripplett, Anderson, and Williams on first and second down. Then had MCargo play the 1 and Walker play 3 on 3rd and long situations. I worry about Tripplet being overused and tiring out, since the cover 2 relies so heavily on frequent defensive line rotation.

I really like what I've seen of Eric Powell so far. I hope we can sign another end to solidify our rotation until our two ends get back. Once Denney and Hardrove get back, our defensive line should be solid. In terms of our losses:

Takeo Spikes: Honestly he has played a total of 4 games for us in the past two years and played like a shell of his former self. He started to come on the last game against Baltimore, but was really a nonfactor when we started to make our playoff run. Ellison offers more speed then spikes, but sacrafices a little strengh. Coy Wire has looked like an absolute beast in the preseaon and, if I recalled correctly, looked like a beast last year when he started against the Jets at the Meadowlands in the game we won. In conclusion, not a big loss.

London Fletcher: He was the heart and soul of this defense, but Poz is a rare bread. This guy has been an absolute beast in the preseason and was an accomplished collegiate athlete. Fletch was great, but Poz has all pro talent.

Nate Clements: This is the only major loss. He is going to be tough to replace. He really started to come on the last nine games last year. His tackling ability and prowess to shut down top flight recievers will be surely missed. Hopefully, the improvement will of Donte, Mcgee, and Ko can alliviate this loss a little bit. As good as Clements is doesn't justify the type of contract he got.

In conclusion, our only major loss this offseason was Nate Clements and our defense will not be as bad as everyone thinks. Our injuries on the D-line and Ellison will hurt but once this defense is at full strenth I expect it to be on the precipice of a top flight defense by the end of the season. (Assuming we don't suffer any major losses to injury)
                        Solid post.
                        I could see us hovering anywhere between #18 and #24 on total Defense this year.

Comment

Working...
                        X