PDA

View Full Version : Surprised a DL Move Hasn't Been Made Yet

Night Train
09-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Seem to be short at DT and DE, with Wallace out.

DE - I like Powell but Neil needs to snap now. 1 short here.

DT - I like McCargo but have serious reservations regarding the rest.

Wally The Barber
09-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Seem to be short at DT and DE, with Wallace out.

DE - I like Powell but Neil needs to snap now. 1 short here.

DT - I like McCargo but have serious reservations regarding the rest.

I am glad to see someone else noticed the problem!

Nighthawk
09-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Come on, Marv knows what he is doing...right??? Seriously, I think it is a joke that this organization thinks that they are good enough to not make any moves. It really scares me to think that the "braintrust" of this team sees our DL as OK to go into the season with.

Michael82
09-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Tim Anderson made the ****ing team!!!

'Nuff said! :ill:

Nighthawk
09-03-2007, 06:03 PM

Tru dat! Our FO just seems so inept.

Pinkerton Security
09-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Idk if there is a legit reason why he got cut, or even if it has been discussed, but Quentin Moses was a fairly big name in the draft last year. I would like to see someone like him or Buster Davis (i dont care how undersized he is, we have Coy Wire starting for us) be brought in for a look.

Michael82
09-03-2007, 06:26 PM
The thing that bothers me is that they didn't even bother to put in a waiver claim for any of the players released. I really thought we would bring in a couple players right away. :sigh:

Nighthawk
09-03-2007, 06:32 PM
The thing that bothers me is that they didn't even bother to put in a waiver claim for any of the players released. I really thought we would bring in a couple players right away. :sigh:

Exactly! I'm just scratching my head as to how they think this team is good enough not to claim anybody?

jamze132
09-04-2007, 09:48 AM

After this season, the Bills are going to give Fatass a contract extension worth $35 mil over 5 years! I can't wait!:poop: :poop: :poop: :poop:

Philagape
09-04-2007, 09:51 AM
BTW, Moses, Rice, Wyms, von Oelhoffen have all been signed by other teams

CSFAN
09-04-2007, 09:51 AM
There is a rumor that the Raiders unloaded Moses by mistake (he was left off a priority list put together by the D coordinator, and just slipped through the cracks).

I think the Rams already took him...

Philagape
09-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Cardinals

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-04-2007, 10:02 AM
There are players available--maybe not big names, but there are bodies out there --did anyone here know much about Al Wallace before he was signed?
The Bills don't want to spend much money, so look for a no name guy to come in here cheap.

OpIv37
09-04-2007, 10:05 AM
There are players available--maybe not big names, but there are bodies out there --did anyone here know much about Al Wallace before he was signed?
The Bills don't want to spend much money, so look for a no name guy to come in here cheap.

at DE I don't really think anyone expects us to get better at this point- we just need bodies until Hargrove and/or Denney come back.

at DT- who knows? We're so bad that we might actually be able to improve by signing other teams' rejects.

bigbub2352
09-04-2007, 10:23 AM
What about Kimo Van Oeffen, as a Vet depth DT, he is solid against the run, we could bring him in on obvious run situations and goaline, he has to be better than Timmy, and Dr Dre' look alike Jason Jefferson

Philagape
09-04-2007, 10:33 AM
What about Kimo Van Oeffen, as a Vet depth DT, he is solid against the run, we could bring him in on obvious run situations and goaline, he has to be better than Timmy, and Dr Dre' look alike Jason Jefferson

Eagles got him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3002051

He was in my list of players signed five posts up

Michael82
09-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Eagles got him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3002051

He was in my list of players signed five posts up
:mad:

Meathead
09-04-2007, 12:03 PM
i dont know what everybodys huge problem is with the tackles. trip will mc and tiny are at least an adequate rotation. id love it to be better but right now its not even close to the biggest problem in the defense

end is much more worrysome. they cant seriously expect kelsay and schobel to play every down. even if they dont get hurt they will get wore down quickly and wont be pursuing as they should be in this d. powell was a practice squad player and neill is the snapper, who jauron has said wants to do only that. i would be shocked if they dont add another end here somehow

SquishDaFish
09-04-2007, 12:17 PM
I think the Tackles are fine except fat ass Anderson. DE and CB is where im worried

OpIv37
09-04-2007, 12:29 PM
i dont know what everybodys huge problem is with the tackles. trip will mc and tiny are at least an adequate rotation. id love it to be better but right now its not even close to the biggest problem in the defense

end is much more worrysome. they cant seriously expect kelsay and schobel to play every down. even if they dont get hurt they will get wore down quickly and wont be pursuing as they should be in this d. powell was a practice squad player and neill is the snapper, who jauron has said wants to do only that. i would be shocked if they dont add another end here somehow

what the hell are you talking about? Tripplett is terrible- he is easily steered wide of the QB on passing plays and is never anywhere near the point of attack on running plays. Tim Anderson- well he just plain sucks. McCargo shows flashes but can't stay on the field and has missed a lot of training and conditioning. I don't know if he'll ever reach his potential but he definitely won't this year. Kyle Williams was a bit of a surprise last year but did nothing in pre-season.

Our tackles may be the worst in the league.

duhbilz
09-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Does no one think that even though old, Simeon Rice would have helped...at least a little? I think he's still good for 5 sacks a year, on the other side of Schobel that would present a serious problem for most Olines?? Teams would have a problem running the ball outside and that would only help the young LB's, just a thought.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-04-2007, 04:00 PM
A couple of things to keep in mind when you are wondering why the Bills didn't pick up a certain player who was cut by another team:

1.) The younger players who get cut go through waivers, where teams can put in claims for them, but the team with the worst record the previous season (ie the highest draft position in the last draft) will end up getting the player. For example: Q. Moses, being a rookie, was waived by the Raiders and, while we don't know how many teams or which teams put in a claim for him, he ended up going to Arizona (which, BTW, would have had a higher priority claim than the Bills, so that, even if the Bills had put in a claim for Moses, it wouldn't have mattered, he would have been awarded to Arizona). Teams can put in multiple claims for players at a position that they want to fill and may or may not end up getting one of the players that they claimed. For example: J.Clayton of ESPN reported that the Jets put in claims for several WRs but didn't end up getting any of the WRs that they initially claimed and wound up having to settle for the 5th WR that they put in a claim for; meanwhile there was a team that claimed 4 FBs, including the Bills' D.Schoumann, and ended up being able to take their choice of any one of the four.

So, just because you see a young player who was cut going to another team, that doesn't mean that the Bills didn't try to get him. The 11 teams that picked before the Bills in the draft would be awarded any player that both teams put a claim in for.

2.) I'm not sure what the service requirements are, but, according to the NY Daily News, vested (what it takes to be vested, I don't know) veteran players--and they were specifically refering to Kimo Von Oellhoeffen in the article--are not subject to wiaver claims. When they are cut, they immediately become free agents and can make deals with any team that they want if multiple teams are interested in them. Quality veteran players who may have been cut because they are a little long in the tooth or because a team is going young or has a numbers crunch at a given position, etc.--players like S.Rice, K.VO, E.Wyms, etc.--are more likely to be interested in signing on with a team that appears to have a good chance of going deep into the playoffs (ie Denver, Philly, Seattle, etc.) than they are to be interested signing a one or two year deal with a young team, like the Bills, that looks to be a year or two away from being a serious contender and may not even make the playoffs.

Even if the Bills were to offer more money than a team like a Philly or Seattle, etc., a veteran player may feel that he will more than make that money up in the playoffs and will have a better chance of getting a ring. Additionally, the player and his agent may feel that the exposure that he would get playing for a more likely playoff contender would position him to get more money the following year if he plays well than he might command if he were to play in relative obsurity for a team like the Bills that won't be seen on national TV as often.

The Bills might talk with such a player and even make him a decent offer only to see him sign with another team. For example, we know that the Bills worked out S.Payne, but that the next day he signed with Jacksonville--a team that many people saw as a possible playoff contender at the time.

I am as concerned as anyone that the Bills have yet to add a DE, DT and/or a 3rd QB since the cutdown deadline. But, the fact that they haven't added some of the players that I thought would be a good fit for them doesn't mean that they haven't tried to do so. We don't know what players they may have put waiver claims in for only to see that player awarded to another team and we don't know what veteran players they have talked to and perhaps even made offers to only to see them sign with a team that appears to have a better chance to make it into the playoffs. So, asking why they haven't signed this guy or that one is really ridiculous. If we can see the obvious needs of the team and they have been talking openly to the press about wanting to add players at certain positions that we also see as areas of need, it makes no sense to assume that they they can't see or are ignoring those needs and are not trying to address them just because the have not yet been successful in adding one or more players at those positions (after all, they are the ones who are telling us that they are looking to shore up those positions!). They may be doing everything humanly possible--I don't know if they are or they are not!--to acquire one of the better talents at those positions (knowing that they can always get someone who is a lesser talent if they don't) and just have not been able to get the guys that they want and think will help the team the most.

Let's face it: The Bills haven't been bad enough to get first dibs on some of the better young players that you have seen get cut and they aren't good enough yet to be attractive to some of the better veteran players who are free to go whereever they want and are looking for what might be a last shot at making it to the playoffs (and getting playoff money--which, for a lower paid player can be substantial) and, perhaps, getting a ring. I keep telling everyone that money is only part of the equation when it comes to acquiring players, but some folks just choose to ignore that and blame the FO when the Bills do not acquire a player that they think the Bills should go out and get.