Forked Thread: NLS Power Rankings- Younger equals better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Forked Thread: NLS Power Rankings- Younger equals better?

Forked from: NLS Power Rankings

Originally posted by kgun12
    I won't complain about the ranking either, but I'm getting sick of hearing about ALL our loses. Give me a break, we finish 5-11 in 2005 and 7-9 with the great players we lost! Old, slow and hurt are not what I want in a player. I say good bye to these hasbeens and
    hello youth!
    Since when has younger automatically equal better? I'm not convinced- a lot of our young guys are completely unproven and they don't have the experience of the guys we lost. Youth is not necessarily superior to experience. There have been plenty of guys who excelled in the NFL without being superior athletes. They used their knowledge of the game and sound fundamentals to compensate and had very productive careers.

I know players eventually need to be replaced by youth- I just have to question the wisdom of doing virtually the entire D in a 2 year period, and I definitely have to question this assumption around here that younger automatically equals better.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Forked Thread: NLS Power Rankings- Younger equals better?

Originally posted by OpIv37
    Forked from: NLS Power Rankings

Since when has younger automatically equal better? .
    IMO Kguns post didn't say better. It simply meant, he welcomes the change. I guess it's a matter of interpretation.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

well I didn't necessarily intend to call him out because he's certainly not the only one saying this, but I've seen numerous posters here say the D was going to get better- I see a lot of evidence that we got younger but no evidence that any of those young guys are better than the guys we lost.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

well I didn't necessarily intend to call him out because he's certainly not the only one saying this, but I've seen numerous posters here say the D was going to get better- I see a lot of evidence that we got younger but no evidence that any of those young guys are better than the guys we lost.
        While youth may not automatically equat to being better, it doesn't also mean we'll automaticall be worse either.

I don't have a problem with trying something that's worked in the past. Going with youth that will hopefully be around for a while and grow together. See the 90's bills, Pats and Cotls. (I know ,we're going in circles)

There will be growing pains, but watching the vets the last 2 years were painful as well.
        sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

the 90's Bills and the Colts replaced the ENTIRE D at the same time and went with 0 experience? I don't recall but somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, even if they did, it took both those teams several years to get it right, which is a good indication that we can expect a lot more roadblocks ahead.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

How bad would last years defense have been if it didn't have Clements, Spikes, and Fletcher?

A question that doesn't have a answer. They might have been better without them they might have been worse.

This year we will find out.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

the core of the 90's bills grew together.

That's what we've been trying to tell you. Rebuilding takes time. To expect the bills to turn the team around in 1 year is unrealistic. There have been exceptions but they are not exceptions to the rule
              sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                the core of the 90's bills grew together.

That's what we've been trying to tell you. Rebuilding takes time. To expect the bills to turn the team around in 1 year is unrealistic. There have been exceptions but they are not exceptions to the rule
                one thing you're forgetting: in the early 90's there was no salary cap and player salaries were much lower. By the time we get around to winning, positions that aren't problems now will become problems and we'll be right back where we started. Example: DE. It went from mediocre to horrible in a couple of weeks with 2 injuries and a suspension. Schobel's 30 and he'll be 32 or 33 when the rest of our D is hitting their peak- hence, the one solid part of our D will become a weakness before the rest of the D is ready. Also, around that time, JP, Lee, Whitner, etc will be due for new contracts.

"long term" in the age of FA is 3 years.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• casdhf
                  • Jul 2002

Since when has younger automatically equal better? I'm not convinced-
                  Why don't you post something we haven't all heard you say at least 500 times this summer?
                  Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                  cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

one thing you're forgetting: in the early 90's there was no salary cap and player salaries were much lower. By the time we get around to winning, positions that aren't problems now will become problems and we'll be right back where we started. Example: DE. It went from mediocre to horrible in a couple of weeks with 2 injuries and a suspension. Schobel's 30 and he'll be 32 or 33 when the rest of our D is hitting their peak- hence, the one solid part of our D will become a weakness before the rest of the D is ready. Also, around that time, JP, Lee, Whitner, etc will be due for new contracts.

"long term" in the age of FA is 3 years.
                    I understand the cap situation.

what you're forgetting is that by the time the young ones develop, guys like Spikes , Vincent, Moulds etc. would be too old and we'll contantly be rebuilding trying to find their replacements without any continuity. That's what happened the last few years and last year.

What you're also forgetting is that the 90's team didn't
                    throw the qb under the bus because the vets we're the leaders and the qb was the newbie.

This is why I don't have a problem with Marv going with the same blueprint as the 90's team.

Lee, JP/Edwards , POZ, Lynch,Whitner,etc. = Kelly, Reed, Conlan, thurman, Bruce etc.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by casdhf
                      Why don't you post something we haven't all heard you say at least 500 times this summer?
                      um, the people who said the D is better because it's younger have said that 500 times as well but I don't see you complaining about that. There is nothing in the TOS that says "If casdhf agrees with your post, feel free to post it ad nauseum, but if he disagrees, you may only post it once."
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

what you're forgetting is that by the time the young ones develop, guys like Spikes , Vincent, Moulds etc. would be too old and we'll contantly be rebuilding trying to find their replacements without any continuity. That's what happened the last few years and last year.
                        The flaw in this: that's going to happen anyway. Poz is a rookie- Ellison, DiGiorgio, Williams, Whitner, Simpson, McCargo and Youboty are all second year guys- ie, they'll all get over the hill at roughly the same time. The good news is that it buys us more time, but that's only good news if these guys are as talented or more talented than the guys they replaced.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

What you're also forgetting is that the 90's team didn't
                          throw the qb under the bus because the vets we're the leaders and the qb was the newbie.

This is why I don't have a problem with Marv going with the same blueprint as the 90's team.

Lee, JP/Edwards , POZ, Lynch,Whitner,etc. = Kelly, Reed, Conlan, thurman, Bruce etc.
                          Justa, I think your onto something here.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

The flaw in this: that's going to happen anyway. Poz is a rookie- Ellison, DiGiorgio, Williams, Whitner, Simpson, McCargo and Youboty are all second year guys- ie, they'll all get over the hill at roughly the same time..
                            WEll mixing has beens with youth hasn't worked for us the last few years.

Like I said, time to try something different. Something proven by the more successful teams in recent years.

The other option is the redskins way. Grab players and hope you win this year because there won't be a tomorrow with these players if they don't win it all.

The good news is that it buys us more time, but that's only good news if these guys are as talented or more talented than the guys they replaced.

that's the risk EVERY TEAM makes building via the draft. But it's proven.

We're going in circles.
                            sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

WEll mixing has beens with youth hasn't worked for us the last few years.

Like I said, time to try something different. Something proven by the more successful teams in recent years.

The other option is the redskins way. Grab players and hope you win this year because there won't be a tomorrow with these players if they don't win it all.

that's the risk EVERY TEAM makes building via the draft. But it's proven.

We're going in circles.

well, the other option is to mix youth with proven players (not has beens) and pick the RIGHT players. Our FA's have been horrid for years. The flaw may be more with the implementation than with the system.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X