PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: NLS Power Rankings- Younger equals better?

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Forked from: NLS Power Rankings (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2096574)

I won't complain about the ranking either, but I'm getting sick of hearing about ALL our loses. Give me a break, we finish 5-11 in 2005 and 7-9 with the great players we lost! Old, slow and hurt are not what I want in a player. I say good bye to these hasbeens and
hello youth!

Since when has younger automatically equal better? I'm not convinced- a lot of our young guys are completely unproven and they don't have the experience of the guys we lost. Youth is not necessarily superior to experience. There have been plenty of guys who excelled in the NFL without being superior athletes. They used their knowledge of the game and sound fundamentals to compensate and had very productive careers.

I know players eventually need to be replaced by youth- I just have to question the wisdom of doing virtually the entire D in a 2 year period, and I definitely have to question this assumption around here that younger automatically equals better.

justasportsfan
09-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Forked from: NLS Power Rankings (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2096574)

Since when has younger automatically equal better? .IMO Kguns post didn't say better. It simply meant, he welcomes the change. I guess it's a matter of interpretation.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 08:35 AM
well I didn't necessarily intend to call him out because he's certainly not the only one saying this, but I've seen numerous posters here say the D was going to get better- I see a lot of evidence that we got younger but no evidence that any of those young guys are better than the guys we lost.

justasportsfan
09-05-2007, 08:40 AM
well I didn't necessarily intend to call him out because he's certainly not the only one saying this, but I've seen numerous posters here say the D was going to get better- I see a lot of evidence that we got younger but no evidence that any of those young guys are better than the guys we lost.

While youth may not automatically equat to being better, it doesn't also mean we'll automaticall be worse either.

I don't have a problem with trying something that's worked in the past. Going with youth that will hopefully be around for a while and grow together. See the 90's bills, Pats and Cotls. (I know ,we're going in circles)

There will be growing pains, but watching the vets the last 2 years were painful as well.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 08:44 AM
the 90's Bills and the Colts replaced the ENTIRE D at the same time and went with 0 experience? I don't recall but somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, even if they did, it took both those teams several years to get it right, which is a good indication that we can expect a lot more roadblocks ahead.

TacklingDummy
09-05-2007, 08:51 AM
How bad would last years defense have been if it didn't have Clements, Spikes, and Fletcher?

A question that doesn't have a answer. They might have been better without them they might have been worse.

This year we will find out.

justasportsfan
09-05-2007, 08:52 AM
the core of the 90's bills grew together.

That's what we've been trying to tell you. Rebuilding takes time. To expect the bills to turn the team around in 1 year is unrealistic. There have been exceptions but they are not exceptions to the rule ;)

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 08:56 AM
the core of the 90's bills grew together.

That's what we've been trying to tell you. Rebuilding takes time. To expect the bills to turn the team around in 1 year is unrealistic. There have been exceptions but they are not exceptions to the rule ;)

one thing you're forgetting: in the early 90's there was no salary cap and player salaries were much lower. By the time we get around to winning, positions that aren't problems now will become problems and we'll be right back where we started. Example: DE. It went from mediocre to horrible in a couple of weeks with 2 injuries and a suspension. Schobel's 30 and he'll be 32 or 33 when the rest of our D is hitting their peak- hence, the one solid part of our D will become a weakness before the rest of the D is ready. Also, around that time, JP, Lee, Whitner, etc will be due for new contracts.

"long term" in the age of FA is 3 years.

casdhf
09-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Since when has younger automatically equal better? I'm not convinced-

Why don't you post something we haven't all heard you say at least 500 times this summer?

justasportsfan
09-05-2007, 09:18 AM
one thing you're forgetting: in the early 90's there was no salary cap and player salaries were much lower. By the time we get around to winning, positions that aren't problems now will become problems and we'll be right back where we started. Example: DE. It went from mediocre to horrible in a couple of weeks with 2 injuries and a suspension. Schobel's 30 and he'll be 32 or 33 when the rest of our D is hitting their peak- hence, the one solid part of our D will become a weakness before the rest of the D is ready. Also, around that time, JP, Lee, Whitner, etc will be due for new contracts.

"long term" in the age of FA is 3 years.
I understand the cap situation.

what you're forgetting is that by the time the young ones develop, guys like Spikes , Vincent, Moulds etc. would be too old and we'll contantly be rebuilding trying to find their replacements without any continuity. That's what happened the last few years and last year.

What you're also forgetting is that the 90's team didn't
throw the qb under the bus because the vets we're the leaders and the qb was the newbie.

This is why I don't have a problem with Marv going with the same blueprint as the 90's team.

Lee, JP/Edwards , POZ, Lynch,Whitner,etc. = Kelly, Reed, Conlan, thurman, Bruce etc.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Why don't you post something we haven't all heard you say at least 500 times this summer?

um, the people who said the D is better because it's younger have said that 500 times as well but I don't see you complaining about that. There is nothing in the TOS that says "If casdhf agrees with your post, feel free to post it ad nauseum, but if he disagrees, you may only post it once."

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 09:22 AM

what you're forgetting is that by the time the young ones develop, guys like Spikes , Vincent, Moulds etc. would be too old and we'll contantly be rebuilding trying to find their replacements without any continuity. That's what happened the last few years and last year.

The flaw in this: that's going to happen anyway. Poz is a rookie- Ellison, DiGiorgio, Williams, Whitner, Simpson, McCargo and Youboty are all second year guys- ie, they'll all get over the hill at roughly the same time. The good news is that it buys us more time, but that's only good news if these guys are as talented or more talented than the guys they replaced.

Mitchy moo
09-05-2007, 09:24 AM

What you're also forgetting is that the 90's team didn't
throw the qb under the bus because the vets we're the leaders and the qb was the newbie.

This is why I don't have a problem with Marv going with the same blueprint as the 90's team.

Lee, JP/Edwards , POZ, Lynch,Whitner,etc. = Kelly, Reed, Conlan, thurman, Bruce etc.

Justa, I think your onto something here.

justasportsfan
09-05-2007, 09:29 AM
The flaw in this: that's going to happen anyway. Poz is a rookie- Ellison, DiGiorgio, Williams, Whitner, Simpson, McCargo and Youboty are all second year guys- ie, they'll all get over the hill at roughly the same time..WEll mixing has beens with youth hasn't worked for us the last few years.

Like I said, time to try something different. Something proven by the more successful teams in recent years.

The other option is the redskins way. Grab players and hope you win this year because there won't be a tomorrow with these players if they don't win it all.

The good news is that it buys us more time, but that's only good news if these guys are as talented or more talented than the guys they replaced.

that's the risk EVERY TEAM makes building via the draft. But it's proven.

We're going in circles.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 09:56 AM
WEll mixing has beens with youth hasn't worked for us the last few years.

Like I said, time to try something different. Something proven by the more successful teams in recent years.

The other option is the redskins way. Grab players and hope you win this year because there won't be a tomorrow with these players if they don't win it all.

that's the risk EVERY TEAM makes building via the draft. But it's proven.

We're going in circles.

well, the other option is to mix youth with proven players (not has beens) and pick the RIGHT players. Our FA's have been horrid for years. The flaw may be more with the implementation than with the system.

justasportsfan
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
well, the other option is to mix youth with proven players (not has beens) and pick the RIGHT players.. we have competition for the services of proven players. 31 other teams. It's not as easy as you think. The only ones to do that for years are the redskins by overpaying and they haven't been successful.

Our FA's have been horrid for years. .
I disagree. There were decent FA hires , it's the coaches that have been horrible for years.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
we have competition for the services of proven players. 31 other teams. It's not as easy as you think. The only ones to do that for years are the redskins by overpaying and they haven't been successful.

I disagree. There were decent FA hires , it's the coaches that have been horrible for years.

really? Well, you dogged Posey when we ditched him last year, you said Fletcher won't be a huge loss, Andre Davis and Tutan Reyes aren't on the team anymore, Price is mediocre, Royal flat out sucks, Tripplett flat out sucks, Villarial is gone, Bennie Anderson is gone, Sam Adams is gone, Vincent is gone, Milloy is gone.... seems to me like our last 3-4 crops of FA's have been awful.

justasportsfan
09-05-2007, 10:35 AM
really? Well, you dogged Posey when we ditched him last year, you said Fletcher won't be a huge loss, Andre Davis and Tutan Reyes aren't on the team anymore, Price is mediocre, Royal flat out sucks, Tripplett flat out sucks, Villarial is gone, Bennie Anderson is gone, Sam Adams is gone, Vincent is gone, Milloy is gone.... seems to me like our last 3-4 crops of FA's have been awful.
I didn't say it was perfect. THERE WERE Try comprehending what you are replying to. At the time Sam Adams , Fletcher, SPIKES, Blesdoe etc.etc. were good hires. We had horrible coaches that couldn't make them work together.

Tutan Reyes ,Andre davis were experimental hires THAT EVERY GM has in their first year.

Fletcher was not a fit for this system but I've always maintained he was solid and his leadership will be missed.

As for Royals and Tripplett. The jury is still out after one year. I'm gonna gonna go back and debate these things with you again. You might end up saying ,"I spoke too soon"

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 10:47 AM
nah.

I've seen enough of Tripplett to know he flat out sucks.

Royal's problem is that he can't keep his head in the game. He has the physical tools, but he doesn't get it by now, he's not going to.

Remember, Royal and Tripplett were FA's and have several years in the league- they're not 2nd year guys who are still learning like a good portion of our team.

Regarding Davis and Reyes, they were still mistakes, and I think you're making a mistake by thinking FA's can't contribute simply because the bunch of jokers that Marv and Donahoe brought in the last few years couldn't contribute.

justasportsfan
09-05-2007, 11:20 AM
nah.

I've seen enough of Tripplett to know he flat out sucks.

Royal's problem is that he can't keep his head in the game. He has the physical tools, but he doesn't get it by now, he's not going to.

Remember, Royal and Tripplett were FA's and have several years in the league- they're not 2nd year guys who are still learning like a good portion of our team.

Regarding Davis and Reyes, they were still mistakes, and I think you're making a mistake by thinking FA's can't contribute simply because the bunch of jokers that Marv and Donahoe brought in the last few years couldn't contribute.
Oh well. We shall see if you will backpedal again. you didn't mention reed. Wonder why.

I guess Polian is a joke too or every GM that brought in experimentals in their first year.

BTW, BB brought in Andre Davis and then cut him. BB is a joke too.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Oh well. We shall see if you will backpedal again. you didn't mention reed. Wonder why.

I guess Polian is a joke too or every GM that brought in experimentals in their first year.

BTW, BB brought in Andre Davis and then cut him. BB is a joke too.

Just because BB did something doesn't mean Marv should follow suit- in fact, it's even dumber for Marv because it was the second time around. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

And the reason I never mentioned Reed- we've been talking about FA's. The Bills drafted Reed.

ParanoidAndroid
09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
The Bills defense will start out shaky, to put it charitably. By week 7, I expect it to be better than last year's defense.