PDA

View Full Version : Steal the Denver Game!

ghz in pittsburgh
09-05-2007, 09:32 AM
The first game of the season is the most unpredictable game in NFL. All the new personnel, new plays, all the things that teams try to hide in preseason games come into light. That's especially true for a team as young as the Bills. You don't know how a rookie reacts. And you don't know how much an improvement last year's rookies make - they usually have their biggest improvement in that past off-season.

We have seen strange results in the 1st game of a season. The Bills clobbered the Pats 41-0 one year; only to see them to eventually win superbowl. Miami beat the hell out of Denver two years ago, but it was Denver who made the playoff.

Could the Bills do it this year? I fully expect the offense to give them a surprise. How much a surprise is the question. Lynch needs to run and I expect he will. Otherwise with Champ Baily clamping down on Evans, the Bills will be in big trouble.

The defense is a big question mark. The Tampa two is mostly a react/response defense so what we see in preseason is what we should expect in plain strength, BUT I expect some twist, a lot of blitzing in the first game. Fewell knows we can't sit there let Denver pick apart our secondary. Jauron is a defensive coach so I know they'll do something. I fully expect the defense giving Denver fits in the first half. The 2nd half could be a different story. Now if the Bills get a big lead in the 1st half, I could easily see a Miami vs Denver 2005 version 2. And that's what the Bills fans are hoping for.

Over time, the element of surprise is going to worn off and everyone knows what everybody is going to do. That's why I think the Bills may have a very difficult time in Pittsburgh and New England, even at home against the Jets. Over the course of a season, talents usually prevail. The Bills defensive talent pool is low so I expect them to struggle. On the other hand, it is a young talent pool that grows with playing time. So if Marv and Co. is right, the talent grows during the season to a sufficient level that we may actually compete very well. At that time, you will see how important it is to steal that first game in one of toughest part of the schedule.

Mitchy moo
09-05-2007, 09:36 AM
The line is Bills +3, I wouldn't call that stealing, more like winning a winable game.

I like your post and see some valid points.

User Manuel
09-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't believe a Buffalo win, at home, against a Denver team that did not make the playoffs last year would be classified as a steal.

Denver has significant questions of their own starting with Travis Henry and Jay Cutler. They have also lost Gerard Williams and Al Wilson as well as Darrent Williams at CB. Is Dre Bly really better.

I believe they are a good team but I think being a 3-point favorite is about right.

You are right though. Buffalo needs to win this game to set a good tone for the season. A bad loss highlighted by poor play could lead us down the road to 3-13 land.

justasportsfan
09-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Over time, the element of surprise is going to worn off and everyone knows what everybody is going to do. .
this is where the creativity and gameplanning of the coaches come in. Hopefully we have coaches that can play chess.

don137
09-05-2007, 09:49 AM
If Buffalo is ever going to get the respect out of media, fans and teams they need to beat good teams. Beating Denver is a stepping stone to respectability.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Actually the Pats game was 31-0.

I think the key is stealing the 3rd game from the Pats. If we can split with Pitt and Denver and beat the Pats, we'd be 2-1 with 2 conference wins and 1 division win after 3 games- that's a hell of a start.

But, I think the Pats games are the least winnable games on the schedule.

BlackMetalNinja
09-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Actually the Pats game was 31-0.

I think the key is stealing the 3rd game from the Pats. If we can split with Pitt and Denver and beat the Pats, we'd be 2-1 with 2 conference wins and 1 division win after 3 games- that's a hell of a start.

But, I think the Pats games are the least winnable games on the schedule.

Yeah, I think us winning all but the Pats game in the first 4 weeks and being 3-1 sounds more likely than us winning in NE. But stranger things have happened!

shelby
09-05-2007, 10:05 AM
i think you bring up a valid point about our defense, ghz.
:goodpost:

ghz in pittsburgh
09-05-2007, 10:05 AM
I highly doubt we beat NE at NE in week 3. To me, 1-3 start is the bottom line whereas a 2-2 split is an acceptable result.

Who expects the Bills to be a playoff contender right now? People gotta be realistic. If the Bills can stay around .500 deep into the season, then I can see a good chance of pushing for playoff late.

Wally The Barber
09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Winning your home games in the key and the fans can help by making the Ralph a loud place when Denver has the ball, no matter what the score!

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 10:14 AM
I don't believe a Buffalo win, at home, against a Denver team that did not make the playoffs last year would be classified as a steal.

Denver has significant questions of their own starting with Travis Henry and Jay Cutler. They have also lost Gerard Williams and Al Wilson as well as Darrent Williams at CB. Is Dre Bly really better.

I believe they are a good team but I think being a 3-point favorite is about right.

You are right though. Buffalo needs to win this game to set a good tone for the season. A bad loss highlighted by poor play could lead us down the road to 3-13 land.

I think the Bills beating any team with a decent running game constitutes a steal. Henry might go for 150 against us, and if he does Cutler won't even matter.

Mitchy moo
09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Henry might go for 150 against us, and if he does Cutler won't even matter.

If Cutler fumbles 3 times??

madness
09-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Going .500 through the first four games would be very encouraging.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 10:26 AM
If Cutler fumbles 3 times??

only if he fumbles the handoffs to Henry- our DL won't be able to get enough pressure on him to actually force one.

mayotm
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Going .500 through the first four games would be very encouraging.I agree. Being 2 -2 heading into the Monday night game versus Dallas would be great. The atmosphere for the Monday night game will be incredible if the Bills are at least 2 - 2.

Mahdi
09-05-2007, 11:01 AM
only if he fumbles the handoffs to Henry- our DL won't be able to get enough pressure on him to actually force one.
Why is that? Our DL is great at applying pressure... its one thing to be negative about our weaknesses from last year but you can at least give credit where credit is due. The Bills are good at pressuring QBs and theres no reason why they wont against Denver.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Why is that? Our DL is great at applying pressure... its one thing to be negative about our weaknesses from last year but you can at least give credit where credit is due. The Bills are good at pressuring QBs and theres no reason why they wont against Denver.

Schobel is great at applying pressure. The rest of them- meh. We run a defensive system that requires pressure from our DT and they're rarely even close enough to disrupt passing lanes. Tripplett is the worst of the bunch- as bad as Anderson is, at least he gets a deflection on occasion.

Mitchy moo
09-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Schobel is great at applying pressure. The rest of them- meh. We run a defensive system that requires pressure from our DT and they're rarely even close enough to disrupt passing lanes. Tripplett is the worst of the bunch- as bad as Anderson is, at least he gets a deflection on occasion.

You, give credit?? In your mind, we're DOOMED.

Mahdi
09-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree that our DTs did squat to apply pressure early on in the season but in the second half they started playing well. Kelsay also gets pressure quite a bit. The other thing to consider is that Tripplett was on his own at the 3 tech last year. This year he has McCargo to spell him and keep eachother fresh. In the 4th quarter that makes a big difference.

mybills
09-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I highly doubt we beat NE at NE in week 3.
Why not?

ghz in pittsburgh
09-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Why not?
Maybe NE has a much better team than the Bills? Ince Brady becomes the QB for NE, the Bills has beaten them exactly once, in a season opener, with a new scheme, with a lot of new veteran players. I don't see any of that in the 3rd week.

Maybe JP will rise up and claim NE to be his whipping boys from now on. I'll settle for beating them just once for now.

mybills
09-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Brady would be a nobody if it weren't for all the help he had around him.
Just like it's not up to JP to beat them, either. He's not the only one on the team.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I agree that our DTs did squat to apply pressure early on in the season but in the second half they started playing well. Kelsay also gets pressure quite a bit. The other thing to consider is that Tripplett was on his own at the 3 tech last year. This year he has McCargo to spell him and keep eachother fresh. In the 4th quarter that makes a big difference.

it didn't in pre season- Tripplett was consistently owned by the RG, even in the first quarter.

Mahdi
09-05-2007, 12:27 PM
it didn't in pre season- Tripplett was consistently owned by the RG, even in the first quarter.
There isnt one NFL player that doesnt HATE the pre-season. Theres no way they are putting their best effort out there especially on the lines where the battles occur. The regular season is a whole new mind-set for these guys. Im confident they will play when it counts.

Mahdi
09-05-2007, 12:29 PM
And in case you say that the same goes for the RG hes going up against... the RG has a QB to protect so he cant ease up or he'll get crapped on if his QB is hit.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 12:39 PM
And in case you say that the same goes for the RG hes going up against... the RG has a QB to protect so he cant ease up or he'll get crapped on if his QB is hit.

Right- the argument we've been hearing all off season: the other team is trying and the Bills aren't. Makes perfect sense.

Tripplett was mediocre before coming to Buffalo, he was somewhere between mediocre and awful last year and he was awful in pre-season. I'm not going to believe he can be better until he does something to prove it.

Mahdi
09-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Right- the argument we've been hearing all off season: the other team is trying and the Bills aren't. Makes perfect sense.

Tripplett was mediocre before coming to Buffalo, he was somewhere between mediocre and awful last year and he was awful in pre-season. I'm not going to believe he can be better until he does something to prove it.
I didnt say the other team... Im saying some positions on EVERY team are not putting forth their top effort.

As for Tripplett I agree he has a lot to prove.