PDA

View Full Version : does anyone other than me.....

Confused
09-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Prolly bout to blow the groan-o-meter clear off the charts but.........
Does anyone other than me think fantasy football is a stupid, irrelevant waste of time that does nothing for the NFL but encourage players to pad there stats, not for the good or the team, but as a form of personal publicity?

Did Dungeons and Dragons finally fall so far out of favor among nerds, geeks, virgins that this pusswad of a pastime is now cool? Get a ****** personallity people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitchy moo
09-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Did Dungeons and Dragons finally fall so far out of favor among nerds, geeks, virgins

I guess I'll never looked at my picture the same way:

http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic108099_md.jpg

I love my job

<TABLE class=smallfont_table style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BACKGROUND: #ffffff; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right width=50></TD><TD vAlign=top>[

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>:</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Confused
09-05-2007, 08:07 PM
sorry dude.......

im4bflo
09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't like fantasy football, because I've seen (so called)Bills fans, actually wanting a player from the other team, to score on us, because he's on their fantasy team, I just wanted to smack him upside the head, "what the hell are you doing?" Fantasy is for non diehards. Or people with no team.

ddaryl
09-05-2007, 08:16 PM
I seriously doubt any player is padding their stats to appease fantasy football leagues.

It promotes interest, and keeps people watching the games. That's what the NFL wants people riveted to the games watching the players which = more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the NFL.

plus there is no way to stop it. its legal and popular.

but I don't play... I find it tedius and unfullfilling

ddaryl
09-05-2007, 08:16 PM
I seriously doubt any player is padding their stats to appease fantasy football leagues.

It promotes interest, and keeps people watching the games. That's what the NFL wants people riveted to the games watching the players which = more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the NFL.

plus there is no way to stop it. its legal and popular.

but I don't play... I find it tedius and unfullfilling

TacklingDummy
09-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I could careless about what the Cowboys do as a team. But it brings alittle interest to me if I have TO on my fantasy team.

Confused
09-05-2007, 08:21 PM
great!!!!! I'm not alone here. I too have heard peeps saying" ohhhh vince young(of all people for the love of god) he's on my fantasy, I love the bills but I hope he has a great game" makes me wanna ****** barf. The Loyalty is gone. Teamwork is gone. And Yes, Its all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$+

FlyingDutchman
09-05-2007, 08:30 PM
first of all, id never cheer against my bills for a player on my fantasy team. I have Henry on my team and i hope he doesnt score all day. A real fan puts their team first. Honesty i think fantasy is a great thing. I follow football so much more closely than i ever have before. I have interest in games i would not normally have interest in. I can tell you back up WRs for the Arizona cardinals and the 3rd string RB for the Seahawks who i would have normally not have even cared about. I gained more respect for the kind of numbers players put up bc i see just how hard it is to do. all in all, ive become a way more intelligent football fan.

im4bflo
09-05-2007, 08:41 PM
first of all, id never cheer against my bills for a player on my fantasy team. I have Henry on my team and i hope he doesnt score all day. A real fan puts their team first. Honesty i think fantasy is a great thing. I follow football so much more closely than i ever have before. I have interest in games i would not normally have interest in. I can tell you back up WRs for the Arizona cardinals and the 3rd string RB for the Seahawks who i would have normally not have even cared about. I gained more respect for the kind of numbers players put up bc i see just how hard it is to do. all in all, ive become a way more intelligent football fan.

I'm the opposite, I could give a rip, what the Cardinals or Seahawks 3rd freekin stringers are doing, just boning up on the Bills stats, is enough for a buzzed fan to handle :boozer: :monkeyp:fantasy football

Confused
09-05-2007, 08:45 PM
unfulfilling. how well put. all this hype, big let down. Ala Last Action Hero.(for the 20-somethings like me out there)

lordofgun
09-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I love fantasy mainly because it makes ordinarily meaningless games fun to watch.

FlyingDutchman
09-05-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm the opposite, I could give a rip, what the Cardinals or Seahawks 3rd freekin stringers are doing, just boning up on the Bills stats, is enough for a buzzed fan to handle :boozer: :monkeyp:fantasy football

i agree bro, i could give a rip as well. my point is that i know personnel around the league on every team which i normally wouldnt know anything about. so whenever talk of FAs available or whatever, i have an idea of who these people are and what, if anything, they have accomplished. guess its just fun to be more knowledgable for me.

im4bflo
09-05-2007, 09:01 PM
i agree bro, i could give a rip as well. my point is that i know personnel around the league on every team which i normally wouldnt know anything about. so whenever talk of FAs available or whatever, i have an idea of who these people are and what, if anything, they have accomplished. guess its just fun to be more knowledgable for me.

that's cool. :up:

ajsdx
09-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Here's the real question. Are you starting him against the Bills at all?

Confused
09-05-2007, 09:05 PM
I see your point dutchman, If it makes you a better general football fan, all the better. could fill your head with worse.

The Jokeman
09-05-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't like fantasy football, because I've seen (so called)Bills fans, actually wanting a player from the other team, to score on us, because he's on their fantasy team, I just wanted to smack him upside the head, "what the hell are you doing?" Fantasy is for non diehards. Or people with no team.
and if the Bills win by 1 point who cares if they let Travis Henry run for 250 yards and 3 TDs? As that's how'd I route for things (assuming I get Henry in my draft tomorrow *lol*).

Confused
09-05-2007, 09:06 PM
dont hijack my thread with that crapola.

BAM
09-05-2007, 09:08 PM
I love fantasy mainly because it makes ordinarily meaningless games fun to watch.

Right on, lordofgun. Fantasy football is awesome for many reasons! The draft parties are a great time at a friends' house, it gives meaning to games that you'd otherwise not care about, creates yet another competition within a competition, gives you something else to do to kill the clock at work, etc etc. the list goes on.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this guy has never even tried to play fantasy football, therefore does not like it for whatever reason.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 09:12 PM

for once, I'm in total agreement with you- I was just about to post almost the exact same thing.

And people who cheer for their fantasy team over their real team should be kicked in the teeth. I had the Ravens' D back in 04 and I sat in the nosebleeds of their stadium watching them own Bledsoe and our O, and I got no satisfaction out of it whatsoever. But like you said, I never would have paid attention to the Ravens' D outside of that game if it wasn't for fantasy- I saw them do some great things that year.

AndreReed83
09-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Fantasy Football won me $1000 last year, so it's A-OK with me.

In all honesty, in order to be successful in serious fantasy football leagues, you have to study and analyze as best as you can. I can sincerely say that fantasy football has helped my study skills and helped me analyze decisions more thoroughly. Especially handy skills for a college student.

ajsdx
09-05-2007, 09:14 PM
dont hijack my thread with that crapola.

are you kidding me? one of the biggest reasons some people don't like fantasy football is because they think it causes people to root against their own teams. you implied that in your original post, and others have explicitly stated it. the only reason people root against their own teams is because they start players against their teams. so i asked if he was even starting henry and thus generating any conflict of interest. that relates directly to the entire thread. so how exactly is it hijacking it? thank you. it isn't.

Confused
09-05-2007, 09:16 PM
no my original point was that FF was asinine and a waste of brain cells.

Confused
09-05-2007, 09:18 PM
no my original point was that FF was asinine and a waste of brain cells. I could care less who is starting who. the knock down drag out sport of made up football.

BAM
09-05-2007, 09:19 PM
no my original point was that FF was asinine and a waste of brain cells.

It does actually require some sort of a strategy if you really get into it, which causes you to think, which in turn causes you to use brain cells. You should try it sometime. It's actually really fun.

OpIv37
09-05-2007, 09:22 PM
the only thing I don't like about it is that I really suck at it.

BAM
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm not very good at it yet either OpIv. Still fun though. Especially if you're in a league with a bunch of people you actually know. I have never just joined random leagues online because I'd probably really get throttled then.

BillsPride12
09-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Fantasy is for non diehards. Or people with no team.

Couldn't have said it better myself, I've played fantasy in the past but it never really did anything for me and I think its just because I'm such a diehard fan of the actual sport of football. I hate people who root for their fantasy players when they are playing against their own team and I hate the fact that if I played fantasy I would be trying to draft the best players and I might have to draft someone like Tom Brady while I despise the Patriots and root against them passionately everyweek. I just like to watch football and hope for amazing games without having to worry about so and so having to score some TD's and stuff like that

BAM
09-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Anyone that would root against their "own team" doesn't really have their "own team." They're just posers or bandwagon hoppers. Sort of like all the recent Red Sox and Patriots fans.

FlyingDutchman
09-05-2007, 09:27 PM

against the bills rush D? you bet your sweet a$$! Im a Bills fan but not an idiot! But of course if it means the Bills winning, i hope they shut him down!

BAM
09-05-2007, 09:29 PM
I wound up with T-Hen in one my leagues also and damn straight he is starting. Our run D looks like swiss cheese. Does that mean I won't be rooting for the Bills to shut him down? Hell no! If it meant 0 points, or even negative points for my fantasy team in exchange for a Buffalo win, I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, barring an injury, Henry will probably be running all over us.

ajsdx
09-05-2007, 11:05 PM
against the bills rush D? you bet your sweet a$$! Im a Bills fan but not an idiot! But of course if it means the Bills winning, i hope they shut him down!

haha. what can i say...it's probably good strategy.

LtFinFan66
09-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Just you sir

shelby
09-06-2007, 04:56 AM
i enjoy FF!
i have Lee Evans on my roster this year.:up:

mybills
09-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Fantasy Football = :coocoo:

LtFinFan66
09-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Just because you can't grasp the FF concept mybills, doesn't make it crazy!! It makes YOU crazy

mybills
09-06-2007, 07:07 AM
reality :up:
fantasy:down:

Philagape
09-06-2007, 07:35 AM
No harm as long as one's priorities are straight.

colin
09-06-2007, 08:16 AM
i don't like fantasy fooball because i can't stand the stats emphasis. an individual skill player gets stats attributed to them, but in many ways those stats are heavily influenced by his teammates, the coaches, where they play, and the oponents.

i like betting on otherwise meaningless games to make them interesting.

Mad Bomber
09-06-2007, 08:23 AM
I just joined my first FF league. I have Jay Cutler and Travis Henry on my team. I hope the Bills totally shut them down.

Anybody who takes FF so seriously that they would root against "their team" is no fan of that team at all. I would NEVER root for ANY of my FF players to do well against the Bills.

Gunzlingr
09-06-2007, 08:25 AM
If it weren't for FF I wouldn't have a reason to watch the NFL. This might be the first year I can remember in years that more than 1 Bills game will be shown in my area.

FlyingDutchman
09-06-2007, 08:30 AM
i don't like fantasy fooball because i can't stand the stats emphasis. an individual skill player gets stats attributed to them, but in many ways those stats are heavily influenced by his teammates, the coaches, where they play, and the oponents.

i like betting on otherwise meaningless games to make them interesting.

I like that about it. The players are almost like stocks. You have to take into account all factors that might influence your player, and base your picks on that.

raphael120
09-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I totally agree if you're rooting on someone playin against your team, youre a moron. And if you find solace in a loss just because a player on the other team racked up some points, youre a selfish dolt and are just a fan of yourself and nothing else.

But if the Bills win and Henry gets a lot of yards, I'll be happy both ways, but if the Bills lose, I'll be dissapointed either way, no fantasy BS is going to bring the Bills a win.

HAMMER
09-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I have avoided FF for years as I already spend enough time on the net reading sports stories and stats. To each their own.

Mahdi
09-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Fantasy Football is actually a very smart way to get fans to become ardent watchers of not just their own teams but other teams as well. I bet fantasy football has contributed to the great success of the NFL as the TOP sports league in the states. I even find myself watching other teams now just so I can see if my fantasy player is racking up points.

However I have made it a point to draft JP, Lee Evans and Lynch in every single draft I entered this year and thats about 15 of them. I also have the Bills D in most drafts. Also I never pick a Dolphin, Patriot or Jet no matter how good the pick is. AND I never start a player that is facing the Bills that week no matter who he is or how good the match-up is. Im benching Travis Henry this week as an example. I think Fantasy Football is fun and gets fans interested in Football in general and not just their own teams. Its good for the game IMO, and if Chad Johnson wants to get us fans some fantasy points then by all means go for it, they count for Cincinnati too dont they? I also dont see how its a waste of time... takes about 5 mins to set your lineup each week, time well spent for me if it makes Sundays that much more entertaining.

PcA125
09-06-2007, 05:06 PM
I dont have a problem with fantasy sports... I just have a hard time winning because I always pick my favorite players. A fantasy team full of bills players is kinda hard to win with

Philagape
09-06-2007, 09:34 PM
My guy Addai just scored for me in the Big Money league, so the joy is back :jig: