PDA

View Full Version : Marv Levy's quote has Howard Simon streaming

Wally The Barber
09-06-2007, 06:01 AM
There is a quote made by Marv Levy that was a topic on WGR with Howard Simon.
Howard feels the quote makes the Bills look cheap and the Bills have no goal for the 2007-08 season.
Howard believes the Bills should not be starting off the season with such low expectations and he say's he Hates the quote!
He said it over and over " I hate that quote"
" Are we on a nickel and dime budget?"

" What circumstances are we talking about?" Not filling needs on defense when it was obvious the team needed some help" Howard said.

Howard Simon says some fans will translate the quote as the Bills are leaving town!
The Bills are 19 million under the cap and Bills fans will not except the Bills circumstances as an excuse.

This is Marv's quote....

"We've put together, given our resources, the best group we can under the circumstances, right now"
"So,we're looking for them to advance quickly"

Marv says this while the team is 19 mil under the cap.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/gamecenter/preview/NFL_20070909_DEN@BUF

X-Era
09-06-2007, 06:05 AM
There is a quote made by Marv Levy that was a topic on WGR with Howard Simon.
Howard feels the quote makes the Bills look cheap and the Bills have no goal for the 2007-08 season.

It was the topic of conversation on WGR at 6AM this morning.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/gamecenter/preview/NFL_20070909_DEN@BUF

His quote IS a bit political.

I can see the controversy.

This plays into discussions we had before. If you arent willing to pay like an NFL team, sell the team to someone who will.

I have no doubt that the Bills can be very successfull in Buffalo if they have a product that wins games.

Night Train
09-06-2007, 06:32 AM
I like McCargo but a 340 lb. space eater next to him would make me feel much better about the entire D. Not a fan of Williams, Tripplett or Anderson at DT.

I honestly don't have a problem with the back 7. I'm thinking Youboty eventually takes over at CB opposite McGee.

Not a big fan of the Tampa 2 D scheme. It leaves too much open space in the middle of the field. If teams start running over us early, then it must be scrapped. Stopping the run is job #1.

Wally The Barber
09-06-2007, 06:38 AM
I like McCargo but a 340 lb. space eater next to him would make me feel much better about the entire D. Not a fan of Williams, Tripplett or Anderson at DT.

I honestly don't have a problem with the back 7. I'm thinking Youboty eventually takes over at CB opposite McGee.

Not a big fan of the Tampa 2 D scheme. It leaves too much open space in the middle of the field. If teams start running over us early, then it must be scrapped. Stopping the run is job #1.

I think the weaknesses are obvious and I expect Marv to do everything he can to put the best posible team on the field!

Meathead
09-06-2007, 07:00 AM
yeah i have to admit im a bit streamed over it too

its the 'under the circumstances' part that streams me. what circumstances exactly? i think he just meant that you cant manufacture players out of thin air and it takes time to build a team through the draft more than anywhere else. but it just didnt sound right, like 'well we have no choice but to suck so hopefully the crappy players can overachieve'. i dont think thats what marv intended but thats what it sounds like

Wally The Barber
09-06-2007, 07:18 AM
yeah i have to admit im a bit streamed over it too

its the 'under the circumstances' part that streams me. what circumstances exactly? i think he just meant that you cant manufacture players out of thin air and it takes time to build a team through the draft more than anywhere else. but it just didnt sound right, like 'well we have no choice but to suck so hopefully the crappy players can overachieve'. i dont think thats what marv intended but thats what it sounds like

Your take is the same as mine but I would expect a more uplifting comment from Marv.

Philagape
09-06-2007, 07:31 AM
The circumstances are, of course, cash to cap, which we've known for months.

As long as C2C is the policy, the budget will be limited year to year. Yes, it does ease the long-term financial burden, but it burdens the short-term. There will be money available every year, but not much in terms of what we can do with it. That means it will take a long time to build a team, and the drafts have to be near perfect.

Turf
09-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Raise ticket prices, simple.
It amazes me that people will stay away from the games if the tickets go up $30-$50 a piece, but will spend 4 times that much partying before and after the game.
NEWS FLASH. If there is no NFL team there is no tailgating.

Wally The Barber
09-06-2007, 08:06 AM
The circumstances are, of course, cash to cap, which we've known for months.

As long as C2C is the policy, the budget will be limited year to year. Yes, it does ease the long-term financial burden, but it burdens the short-term. There will be money available every year, but not much in terms of what we can do with it. That means it will take a long time to build a team, and the drafts have to be near perfect.

I watched Darwin Walker play and I am still confused why Marv thought he was not worth the money and we have 19 mil under the cap !

TacklingDummy
09-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Raise ticket prices, simple.
It amazes me that people will stay away from the games if the tickets go up $30-$50 a piece, but will spend 4 times that much partying before and after the game.
NEWS FLASH. If there is no NFL team there is no tailgating.

At least to the NFL average. This would give Ralph millions more in revenue.

Ralph is not the cheap owner that some have made him out to be. It's Bills fans that are getting things cheap and who are cheap.

Dr. Lecter
09-06-2007, 08:20 AM
At least to the NFL average. This would give Ralph millions more in revenue.

Ralph is not the cheap owner that some have made him out to be. It's Bills fans that are getting things cheap and who are cheap.

Wrong. Ticket monies are split 60/40 in regular season games.

OpIv37
09-06-2007, 08:21 AM
The "circumstances" Marv is referring to is most likely cash to cap, which is a self imposed financial constraint.

Wally The Barber
09-06-2007, 08:55 AM
The "circumstances" Marv is referring to is most likely cash to cap, which is a self imposed financial constraint.

I think it is fair to say that the Bills have room to add a DT or DE to the roster through trade or available waived players!

I do not buy the "poor us" argument!

justasportsfan
09-06-2007, 09:22 AM
I watched Darwin Walker play and I am still confused why Marv thought he was not worth the money and we have 19 mil under the cap !
that's because he's a Tripplett and McCargo clone.

raphael120
09-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Circumstances = Ralph Wilson pullin on Marv's leash a bit too tight.

Wally The Barber
09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Circumstances = Ralph Wilson pullin on Marv's leash a bit too tight.

I have to agree with Howard, I hate that quote!

gr8slayer
09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
crap like this makes me hate owners like ralph and love owners like jerry. At least he knows you have to spend money and im tired of the small market argument. Pony up you cheap ****

Carlton Bailey
09-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm so very streamed. I'm streaming more than a cup of coffee over this quote.

Dr. Lecter
09-06-2007, 11:37 AM
There is no context to the quote in the story.

So before we start the Ralph is cheap BS (which has been disproven countless times), we should relax and so shoudl Simon.

I really hate soundbite reporting.

Wally The Barber
09-06-2007, 11:54 AM
crap like this makes me hate owners like ralph and love owners like jerry. At least he knows you have to spend money and im tired of the small market argument. Pony up you cheap ****

I am surprised at that comment, not something I would have thought we would get from Marv Levy!

Wally The Barber
09-06-2007, 11:55 AM
The comment has me surprised!

TacklingDummy
09-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Wrong. Ticket monies are split 60/40 in regular season games.

How would that be wrong? Raising ticket prices = more revenue for Ralph. It's really not hard to understand.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Howard Simon has become an idiot also, he used to be good when he had the Simon Cast on WNSA!

Philagape
09-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Cheapness is defined not by how much money is spent, but by how much is left.

B-DON
09-06-2007, 04:25 PM
So according to Simon, the vikings will be moving asap cuz they didnt use all of their cap room and they had(just resigned pat williams) more left than us. Simon needs to STFU

ParanoidAndroid
09-06-2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.environmentwaikato.govt.nz/enviroinfo/water/healthyrivers/images/index1.jpg http://www.baeditions.com/RA%20Details/Artschwager%20Exclamation%20Point%20(2006).jpg

Wally The Barber
09-06-2007, 05:27 PM
So according to Simon, the vikings will be moving asap cuz they didnt use all of their cap room and they had(just resigned pat williams) more left than us. Simon needs to STFU

You have got to admit that was a pretty bad quote!

guy
09-06-2007, 06:55 PM
550 used to be decent. but now all they do is bash the bills. cant stand it. i cant wait until the sabres take a dump.. 550 isnt very critical of the sabres front office for losing some very key players. at this point the sabres front office can do no wrong, and dont tell me this has nothing to do with 550's favoritism.

Mitchy moo
09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
In the long run C2C keeps the team healthy and here.:cheers:

Novacane
09-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Marv coulda said it better but once again WGR is trying to make something into something it isn't. I hate those Bills haters.

duhbilz
09-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Sorry, but 19 Mill under the cap or not the cost of Walker and Dockery was outrageous!! Dockery may be an upgrade, but not nearly worth what he was paid. He better be the best G in football if he hopes to live up to the cost. Spending wisely is just as important as using your entire cap to bring in the best players.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I don't like the quote...but without knowing the context of it, it's hard to make an appropriate reaction to it. On the surface though it comes across very poorly.

BillsFever21
09-06-2007, 08:54 PM
I didn't like it either. You are basically admitting that the team is only willing to spend so much whether using that extra money would improve the quality of the team and winning isn't the main objective but padding a billionaires pocket even more is.

HHURRICANE
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM

Uhhh..the Vikings might be moving. The stadium is a big bone of contention.

HHURRICANE
09-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I guess we could have signed Nate after-all.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I guess we could have signed Nate after-all.

You know I never questioned not re-signing Nate or bit even planning on re-signing Nate. I know that a corner making the money he is, is not necessary in a cover 2 system...however...considering we're 19 million under the cap as of opening week. Why didn't we?

Corner is a HUGE question mark for us entering the season, if we still had Nate it wouldn't be. And <gasp> we'd still be like 10 million, if not more, under the cap with him.

Mad Bomber
09-06-2007, 11:41 PM
http://www.environmentwaikato.govt.nz/enviroinfo/water/healthyrivers/images/index1.jpg
:rofl:
I'm pretty streamed about that statement myself...