PDA

View Full Version : Let's Compare...

Mahdi
09-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Our Defense to the Colts Defense....

So many ppl are worried about how much our D is going to struggle because we lost "marquee" players and replaced them with young draft picks. Well lets take a look at the Colts D that was supposed to have major problems this year. First of all, they have no FAs on their D, everyone is drafted. They lost 2 starting corners and their leading tackler from last year as well as Booger McFarland and Corey Simon. They replaced their corners with 2 young draft picks with very few starts at CB in Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden. Then they replace their best play-making and leading tackler June with Freddie Keiaho who no one has even heard of. Also after losing McFarland instead of panicking and signing a DT in desperation they rely on a rookie DT Johnson. With all that they still held one of the best offenses in the NFL to 0 TDs.

Before I go any further for those who hate the Tampa 2.... The colts were giving up yards in the first quarter but never gave up the TD much like we did against the Saints in Pre-season. Once they were able to score and force the Saints to throw it was easy pickings. Hopefully the Bills O can do something similar to simplify things for our D this year.

Now Lets compare our D to the Colts:

DEs: Advantage Colts but not by much. I like our guys especially when Hargrove and Denney are back.

DTs: Ill take Tripps, Williams and McCargo over Brock and Johnson. Adv Bills

LBs: Crowell, POz and Ellison/Wire have way more upside IMO. Adv Bills

CBs: McGee>Marlin, Hayden=Webster (I believe Youboty will be better than both) Adv. Bills

S: Sanders and Whitner are similar players but Sanders has more experience and is more proven. I like Simpson more than Bethea though. Id say even but if I have to give an adv. it goes to the Colts.

Having said all that even if the Bills struggle in the first half of the season Im still confident that with time we can have similar success.

As a side note.... For all those who always expect big FAs and lots of spending... the Colts also have no FAs on Offense either. Only Adam Vinatieri is FA out of all the starters. Im almost disappointed we spent all that money on Dockery and Walker. However I am happy they are here never the less.

Good Drafting is the key to this league not how much money you spend in March. It also must feel really good for a team/organization to field 22 drafted starters.

I like where the Bills are going with their personnel strategy. We will field 17 Drafted starters this year and possibly more next year if Tripps, Royal and Walker dont pan out. I like that approach even if we have to struggle initially to make it work.

Go Homegrown Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mad Bomber
09-06-2007, 11:46 PM
The Colts D looked great tonight. I just hope our D looks that good against the Broncos on Sunday. :up:

Meathead
09-06-2007, 11:56 PM
so what youre saying is the bills are going to the superbowl

alohabillsfan
09-07-2007, 06:55 AM
The key is having an offense that forces the other team to pass, hopefully JP and co. can put up 20 something points!

BidsJr
09-07-2007, 06:59 AM
so what youre saying is the bills are going to the superbowl

Championship!

Lock it up.

TacklingDummy
09-07-2007, 07:00 AM
The Bills D was ranked higher than the Colts D last year. How come we didn't go to the Super Bowl?

Do you think Polian would trade Freeney/Sanders for Schobel/Whitner?

Lets compare the Colts O to the Bills O now.

patmoran2006
09-07-2007, 07:05 AM
LOL I knew this thread was coming...

I'm not even going to comment.. When you said our DT's are better than Indy's I stopped reading. Our DT's are not better than anybody in the NFL, period.

BidsJr
09-07-2007, 07:27 AM

I'm not even going to comment.. When you said our DT's are better than Indy's I stopped reading. Our DT's are not better than anybody in the NFL, period.

You just did comment.:help!:

Mahdi
09-07-2007, 07:30 AM

So you would take Raheem Brock and the Rookie Johnson over our DTs?? Thats just ridiculous. You also seem to have the mis-conception that its our DTs fault that we dont stop the run which is not the case. When you see Williams blow right past his guy into the backfield and hit no one at all he's actually doing his job well. It means he blew up his gap and the RB has to go somewhere else. The point is someone else needs to fill the other gaps as well. This scheme requires practice and time to get right. Gary Brackett and Rob Morris arent stars but they know what they are doing on every play and how to fill their gaps, which means their job is much harder than the job of the DTs who only have to beat their man to a space. Tripplett, McCargo and Williams will look good when the LBs are comfortable doing their jobs.

Mitchy moo
09-07-2007, 08:27 AM

So many ppl are worried about how much our D is going to struggle because we lost "marquee" players and replaced them with young draft picks. Well lets take a look at the Colts D that was supposed to have major problems this year. First of all, they have no FAs on their D, everyone is drafted. They lost 2 starting corners and their leading tackler from last year as well as Booger McFarland and Corey Simon. They replaced their corners with 2 young draft picks with very few starts at CB in Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden. Then they replace their best play-making and leading tackler June with Freddie Keiaho who no one has even heard of. Also after losing McFarland instead of panicking and signing a DT in desperation they rely on a rookie DT Johnson. With all that they still held one of the best offenses in the NFL to 0 TDs.

Before I go any further for those who hate the Tampa 2.... The colts were giving up yards in the first quarter but never gave up the TD much like we did against the Saints in Pre-season. Once they were able to score and force the Saints to throw it was easy pickings. Hopefully the Bills O can do something similar to simplify things for our D this year.

DEs: Advantage Colts but not by much. I like our guys especially when Hargrove and Denney are back.

CBs: McGee>Marlin, Hayden=Webster (I believe Youboty will be better than both) Adv. Bills

S: Sanders and Whitner are similar players but Sanders has more experience and is more proven. I like Simpson more than Bethea though. Id say even but if I have to give an adv. it goes to the Colts.

Having said all that even if the Bills struggle in the first half of the season Im still confident that with time we can have similar success.

As a side note.... For all those who always expect big FAs and lots of spending... the Colts also have no FAs on Offense either. Only Adam Vinatieri is FA out of all the starters. Im almost disappointed we spent all that money on Dockery and Walker. However I am happy they are here never the less.

Good Drafting is the key to this league not how much money you spend in March. It also must feel really good for a team/organization to field 22 drafted starters.

I like where the Bills are going with their personnel strategy. We will field 17 Drafted starters this year and possibly more next year if Tripps, Royal and Walker dont pan out. I like that approach even if we have to struggle initially to make it work.

If the Bills can put up some good points per game, we will win more. Getting ahead early and by alot really makes the D look better, nearly everytime.

OpIv37
09-07-2007, 08:36 AM

You lost all credibility with the DT comments. Tripplett isn't better than anyone- the guy is a complete waste.

Simpson better than Bethea after the game he had last night? You're nuts- Simpson has yet to prove he can consistently stay in position.

Our LB's are completely unproven so I don't now how you could say one way or another at this point. "Upside" means potential- they have to actually REACH that potential before you can give the advantage to the Bills and they haven't done that yet.

This post just wreaks of homerism and is not objective or accurate.

OpIv37
09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
oh btw- we can't do what the Colts did and acquire all our starters though the draft. This team has WAY too many holes- if we go that route, the positions that are currently set will be old or vacant and be problem spots long before we finish addressing all the current problem spots.

OpIv37
09-07-2007, 08:40 AM
So you would take Raheem Brock and the Rookie Johnson over our DTs?? Thats just ridiculous. You also seem to have the mis-conception that its our DTs fault that we dont stop the run which is not the case. When you see Williams blow right past his guy into the backfield and hit no one at all he's actually doing his job well. It means he blew up his gap and the RB has to go somewhere else. The point is someone else needs to fill the other gaps as well. This scheme requires practice and time to get right. Gary Brackett and Rob Morris arent stars but they know what they are doing on every play and how to fill their gaps, which means their job is much harder than the job of the DTs who only have to beat their man to a space. Tripplett, McCargo and Williams will look good when the LBs are comfortable doing their jobs.

Their DT's got to the passer. Their DT's disrupted running plays by actually getting THROUGH the gaps. Their DT's got to the sideline on stretch plays. Our DT's do NONE of those things well.

Williams doesn't blow through his gap as much as your making it sound, and even if he does, he's one of 4-5 guys in the rotation and it's not nearly enough.

You have it backwards- the reason the LB's suck is because the DT's AREN'T shooting the gaps and disrupting the running plays, meaning the LB's are facing blockers and RB's going at full speed. And on passing downs, our DT's get no pressure so if Schobel is neutralized, it makes it very difficult for the back 7 in pass coverage.

The Bills' problems on D start with the DL and if the DT's did their job, the entire D would look much better.

madness
09-07-2007, 08:51 AM
The Colts have 4 new starters on defense.

OpIv37
09-07-2007, 08:53 AM
The Colts have 4 new starters on defense.

playing next to experienced players- not playing next to a bunch of 2nd year guys and two or three vets like on our team.

And that doesn't change the fact that our LB's are completely unproven- it's impossible to compare them to anyone, favorably or unfavorably, at this point.

Wys Guy
09-07-2007, 08:55 AM

You forgot Polian and Dungy vs. Levy/Jauron, Adv. Bills

Wys Guy
09-07-2007, 08:56 AM

That's a good one by the way!

Mahdi
09-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Their DT's got to the passer. Their DT's disrupted running plays by actually getting THROUGH the gaps. Their DT's got to the sideline on stretch plays. Our DT's do NONE of those things well.

Williams doesn't blow through his gap as much as your making it sound, and even if he does, he's one of 4-5 guys in the rotation and it's not nearly enough.

You have it backwards- the reason the LB's suck is because the DT's AREN'T shooting the gaps and disrupting the running plays, meaning the LB's are facing blockers and RB's going at full speed. And on passing downs, our DT's get no pressure so if Schobel is neutralized, it makes it very difficult for the back 7 in pass coverage.

The Bills' problems on D start with the DL and if the DT's did their job, the entire D would look much better.
I dont know what games yer watching but Williams, Triplett and McCargo were getting THROUGH their gaps often in preseason. But if one player misses his assignment then its all for nothing. Tampa 2 is a team defense its not about Pat Williams Swallowing 3 guys at a time. And some may prefer that defense but when it comes to passing downs it does nothing. Once our D learns to play together properly we will be a force to contend with.

I wonder how many GMs in the league would take Rob Morris and Brackett over Poz and Crowell?

Mahdi
09-07-2007, 08:59 AM
You forgot Polian and Dungy vs. Levy/Jauron, Adv. Bills
Thanks for the reminder. I knew I forgot something.

OpIv37
09-07-2007, 09:01 AM
I dont know what games yer watching but Williams, Triplett and McCargo were getting THROUGH their gaps often in preseason. But if one player misses his assignment then its all for nothing. Tampa 2 is a team defense its not about Pat Williams Swallowing 3 guys at a time. And some may prefer that defense but when it comes to passing downs it does nothing. Once our D learns to play together properly we will be a force to contend with.

I wonder how many GMs in the league would take Rob Morris and Brackett over Poz and Crowell?

you're out of your mind. Williams was invisible in pre season. Tripplett was completely owned- he was pushed out of the play EVERY time. He never covered his gap on running plays or got anywhere close to the passer. McCargo was hit or miss- he had some good plays and some terrible ones. I paid close attention to the DL in the pre season and they were NOT effective at all. Tripplett was the worst of the bunch- even worse than Anderson in at least two of the games.

And our D does nothing on running downs so passing downs are irrelevant- they rarely come up.

I don't know about Morris and Brackett over Poz and Crowell, but it's asinine to say Poz is better before he's even played a down of real NFL football. Maybe he's better and maybe he's not but we just don't have that information at this time.

Mahdi
09-07-2007, 09:02 AM
That's a good one by the way!
O suddenly Johnson is an all Pro because he plays for Indi? No I dont think so, I think he plays in a very good system with players who know their jobs well and have enough experience to get the job done even with a rookie at DT. Give me a break. Tripps, Williams and McCargo will look like all-stars when this D finally clicks. Give the D a chance to learn and get some experience and they will all make eachother look good.

Mahdi
09-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Williams was invisible in pre season

K Im not going to comment on your posts because you havent even watched the games if you think Williams was invisible. I have watched them in slo-mo and paid close attention to our D-Line in particular. Just go back and watch the Detroit game and see what Williams does.

OpIv37
09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
K Im not going to comment on your posts because you havent even watched the games if you think Williams was invisible. I have watched them in slo-mo and paid close attention to our D-Line in particular. Just go back and watch the Detroit game and see what Williams does.

I watched the Detroit game- I watched the first half twice. He did nothing. Our entire DL was stonewalled at the LOS most of the game. You're seeing what you want to see.

madness
09-07-2007, 09:10 AM
You're seeing what you want to see.

Listen to Op, he's the expert.

OpIv37
09-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Listen to Op, he's the expert.

no, I'm not an expert. I just know what I saw. And I'm not the only one who has commented on Kyle Williams' regression in preseason.

madness
09-07-2007, 09:22 AM
no, I'm not an expert. I just know what I saw. And I'm not the only one who has commented on Kyle Williams' regression in preseason.

Stop ruining my fun and enjoy my play on words.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. IMO, Williams is a heck of a player but shouldn't be starting (at least not yet). I think he'd do more damage in a backup role, especially in our rotation scheme.

justasportsfan
09-07-2007, 09:48 AM
You just did comment.:help!:
:roflmao:

Didn't take time for him to change his mind.

jpdex12
09-07-2007, 09:50 AM
playing next to experienced players- not playing next to a bunch of 2nd year guys and two or three vets like on our team.

And that doesn't change the fact that our LB's are completely unproven- it's impossible to compare them to anyone, favorably or unfavorably, at this point.

You might as well not even watch the game Sunday against the Broncos or for the rest of the year if you already know how bad our defense and team is. What an outlook you have on the season.

I suppose you wake up every morning and imagine how your life could end that day because of the risks there are everyday in our lives ...car crash on the way to work, choking on your breakfast sandwich from McDonalds, a papercut you could receive at work and bleeding to death, that asteroid that is supposed to collide with the earth in about 20 million years could arrive early.

Makes me laugh! If you are so sure of our team sucking this year, then why don't you put your lifetime savings on the Broncos this weekend and maybe you can look forward to retiring early unless that papercut turns you into worm food before you retire...

justasportsfan
09-07-2007, 09:51 AM
You lost all credibility with the DT comments. Tripplett isn't better than anyone- the guy is a complete waste.

. should be an interesting season. My prediction is, you'll be eating a lot of crow just like when you pretty much said JP was a bust.

justasportsfan
09-07-2007, 09:56 AM
reading Pat, Op and wys post in the same thread is like watching reruns of .....

OpIv37
09-07-2007, 10:00 AM
You might as well not even watch the game Sunday against the Broncos or for the rest of the year if you already know how bad our defense and team is. What an outlook you have on the season.

I suppose you wake up every morning and imagine how your life could end that day because of the risks there are everyday in our lives ...car crash on the way to work, choking on your breakfast sandwich from McDonalds, a papercut you could receive at work and bleeding to death, that asteroid that is supposed to collide with the earth in about 20 million years could arrive early.

Makes me laugh! If you are so sure of our team sucking this year, then why don't you put your lifetime savings on the Broncos this weekend and maybe you can look forward to retiring early unless that papercut turns you into worm food before you retire...

I don't know why some of you think that having a poor outlook means you can't watch the games. I'm a Bills fan through good and bad- I don't have to convince myself the team is better than it is to watch. And I don't know why you assume that my outlook for a football team that has sucked for 7 years is the same as my outlook on life in general.

All I'm doing is predicting the most likely outcome for our team based on prior performance and how they looked in pre season.

OpIv37
09-07-2007, 10:01 AM
should be an interesting season. My prediction is, you'll be eating a lot of crow just like when you pretty much said JP was a bust.

wait a second- a few days ago you were accusing me of giving JP a pass, now you're saying I called him a bust? Make up your damn mind.

justasportsfan
09-07-2007, 10:13 AM
wait a second- a few days ago you were accusing me of giving JP a pass, now you're saying I called him a bust? Make up your damn mind.
you called him such and then changed your mind LAST SEASON ( Selctive memory as usual) and then give him a pass again . You may not be as bad as Moran but you flipflop. You're the one who has to make up his mind. WE're moving the right direction, oh no wait. Price sucks, I may have spoken too soon, oh wait. Reed blows and JP is blowing smoke up our arse when he praises Reed. Oh wait looks like they have a connection.

Give me a break. You'll be changing yor mind again :D

OpIv37
09-07-2007, 10:28 AM
you called him such and then changed your mind LAST SEASON ( Selctive memory as usual) and then give him a pass again . You may not be as bad as Moran but you flipflop. You're the one who has to make up his mind. WE're moving the right direction, oh no wait. Price sucks, I may have spoken too soon, oh wait. Reed blows and JP is blowing smoke up our arse when he praises Reed. Oh wait looks like they have a connection.

Give me a break. You'll be changing yor mind again :D

Having a connection with JP does NOT mean Reed doesn't blow. I still think he's at best mediocre and overpaid for his contributions.

Price sucks- he had a handful of good games and I overreacted after a win.

One or both will be gone next year and we'll be a better team for it.

I NEVER said JP was a bust- in the middle of last season when he struggled I said something to the effect of "I'm starting to wonder if JP is ever going to get it". Expressing concern about a struggling player is by no means accusing him of being a bust. I've never said JP was a bust or said he was the next big thing at QB- I've criticized him when he struggled and complimented him when he played well. This inconsistency thing is all in your head, and now you're trying to blame me because you got caught contradicting yourself and accusing me of something I never said.

jpdex12
09-07-2007, 11:00 PM
I don't know why some of you think that having a poor outlook means you can't watch the games. I'm a Bills fan through good and bad- I don't have to convince myself the team is better than it is to watch. And I don't know why you assume that my outlook for a football team that has sucked for 7 years is the same as my outlook on life in general.

All I'm doing is predicting the most likely outcome for our team based on prior performance and how they looked in pre season.

You need :help!: ! I can't wait to see you get trashed when we have a repsectable year this year. Nothin like eatin crow!

duhbilz
09-07-2007, 11:59 PM

This may be hard to believe, but I think the Saints got their wake up call week one. I think the Saints went into that game over confident and it cost them. I don't know if they'll be as good as last year on offense, but they're better then they showed opening night.

BillsFever21
09-08-2007, 03:10 AM

That does not prove very much at the moment. It was ONE GAME in the season. A bad defense never held another decent offense scoreless before? Plus you might like some of our players better because they wear a Buffalo uniform. If they wore a Colts uniform that woudn't be the case.

What has Tripplett, Williams and McCargo done to be better? For starters Tripplett was a castoff from the Colts and was dumped over their starters now. Obviously the Colts didn't think Tripplett was better. Williams is a 2nd year 5th round draft pick who didn't exactly tear it up last year. McCargo has played a total of 6 crappy games played and lost more time in the offseason due to injuries. Yeah I can see how they are a much better tandem. Also Raheem Brock who you think Tripplett, Williams and McCargo is better then has 19 career sacks in 5 years. Larry Tripplett(who was dumped by the Colts in favor of their horrible DL) has 7.5 sacks in that same amount of time.........If you wear red and blue colored glasses. :rolleyes: That great tandem was horrible last year.

Plus Indy had a different situation then us. The Cover 2 feeds off of teams way behind and in passing situations and that plays right into the hands. Not just a lead. A big lead. Buffalo doesn't have close to that same kind of offense. Some think they will but it isn't close. Manning/Losman, Wayne/Price, Clark/Royal, Colts OL/Bills OL, Tony Dungy/Dick Jauron. Yeah I think the Colts are just slightly better off.

And yes Dungy helped turn around the Colts defense in the playoffs last year but remember how pitiful they were in the regular season? So pitiful you were probably one of the people talking about how bad they sucked. Manning and his offense was good enough to still win in spite of them. If it was Buffalo's current roster they would've been about 5-11.

There is some differences in their CB's also. Their one young CB was only a 1st round pick compared to Jason Webster. I think I will take Marlin Jackson over Webster. They also have one of the best Strong Safeties in the game today in Bob Sanders. Which coincidently returned at playoff time when the Colts magically played better defense. Whitner was decent but isn't a Bob Sanders. At least not yet.

The Cover 2 is not a good defense when you are playing from behind. It doesn't stop the run very well unless you have a moving brick wall for a DL which we don't even have close to that. If your offense is good enough to build you a big lead the Cover 2 plays right into that and you can get a lot of TO's from the team obviously passing all the time. We only have 1 good receiving weapon. Our offense isn't there yet. And don't mention the Bears Cover 2 defense with a bad offense. You put O-Gun, Tommie Harris, Urlacher, Nathan Vasher, Lance Briggs, Alex Brown and the rest of them studs on any defense and it will be dominant. Chris Kelsay, Larry Tripplett, Coy Wire, Angelo Crowell, Jason Webster isn't any adequate replacements for them guys.

One last thing. Just beacause we have 17 drafted players starting to their 22 means nothing. I bet the Cardinals and Lions have that many too. They have Bill Polian who is the best GM in the league. Their 22 starters consist of the likes of Manning, Addai, Wayne, Harrison, Clark, Robert Mathis. Our acutal players starting doesn't compare to that. Just because young drafted players are starting it doesn't make them good it just means there isn't anything else or they are starting because of being a high draft pick. When Lynch, Poz, McCargo, Simpson, Ellison, Butler and any of them guys actually do something then you can include them.