• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Let's Compare...

Our Defense to the Colts Defense....

So many ppl are worried about how much our D is going to struggle because we lost "marquee" players and replaced them with young draft picks. Well lets take a look at the Colts D that was supposed to have major problems this year. First of all, they have no FAs on their D, everyone is drafted. They lost 2 starting corners and their leading tackler from last year as well as Booger McFarland and Corey Simon. They replaced their corners with 2 young draft picks with very few starts at CB in Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden. Then they replace their best play-making and leading tackler June with Freddie Keiaho who no one has even heard of. Also after losing McFarland instead of panicking and signing a DT in desperation they rely on a rookie DT Johnson. With all that they still held one of the best offenses in the NFL to 0 TDs.

Before I go any further for those who hate the Tampa 2.... The colts were giving up yards in the first quarter but never gave up the TD much like we did against the Saints in Pre-season. Once they were able to score and force the Saints to throw it was easy pickings. Hopefully the Bills O can do something similar to simplify things for our D this year.

Now Lets compare our D to the Colts:

DEs: Advantage Colts but not by much. I like our guys especially when Hargrove and Denney are back.

DTs: Ill take Tripps, Williams and McCargo over Brock and Johnson. Adv Bills

LBs: Crowell, POz and Ellison/Wire have way more upside IMO. Adv Bills

CBs: McGee>Marlin, Hayden=Webster (I believe Youboty will be better than both) Adv. Bills

S: Sanders and Whitner are similar players but Sanders has more experience and is more proven. I like Simpson more than Bethea though. Id say even but if I have to give an adv. it goes to the Colts.

Having said all that even if the Bills struggle in the first half of the season Im still confident that with time we can have similar success.

As a side note.... For all those who always expect big FAs and lots of spending... the Colts also have no FAs on Offense either. Only Adam Vinatieri is FA out of all the starters. Im almost disappointed we spent all that money on Dockery and Walker. However I am happy they are here never the less.

Good Drafting is the key to this league not how much money you spend in March. It also must feel really good for a team/organization to field 22 drafted starters.

I like where the Bills are going with their personnel strategy. We will field 17 Drafted starters this year and possibly more next year if Tripps, Royal and Walker dont pan out. I like that approach even if we have to struggle initially to make it work.

Go Homegrown Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mad Bomber
    • Jul 2002

Re: Let's Compare...

The Colts D looked great tonight. I just hope our D looks that good against the Broncos on Sunday.

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

so what youre saying is the bills are going to the superbowl
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• alohabillsfan
        • Sep 2003

The key is having an offense that forces the other team to pass, hopefully JP and co. can put up 20 something points!

Comment

• BidsJr
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Meathead
          so what youre saying is the bills are going to the superbowl

Championship!

Lock it up.
          "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

The Bills D was ranked higher than the Colts D last year. How come we didn't go to the Super Bowl?

Do you think Polian would trade Freeney/Sanders for Schobel/Whitner?

Lets compare the Colts O to the Bills O now.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

LOL I knew this thread was coming...

I'm not even going to comment.. When you said our DT's are better than Indy's I stopped reading. Our DT's are not better than anybody in the NFL, period.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• BidsJr
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006

I'm not even going to comment.. When you said our DT's are better than Indy's I stopped reading. Our DT's are not better than anybody in the NFL, period.

You just did comment.
                "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006

So you would take Raheem Brock and the Rookie Johnson over our DTs?? Thats just ridiculous. You also seem to have the mis-conception that its our DTs fault that we dont stop the run which is not the case. When you see Williams blow right past his guy into the backfield and hit no one at all he's actually doing his job well. It means he blew up his gap and the RB has to go somewhere else. The point is someone else needs to fill the other gaps as well. This scheme requires practice and time to get right. Gary Brackett and Rob Morris arent stars but they know what they are doing on every play and how to fill their gaps, which means their job is much harder than the job of the DTs who only have to beat their man to a space. Tripplett, McCargo and Williams will look good when the LBs are comfortable doing their jobs.
                  Last edited by Mahdi; 09-07-2007, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                    Roways rooking ahread!
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi

So many ppl are worried about how much our D is going to struggle because we lost "marquee" players and replaced them with young draft picks. Well lets take a look at the Colts D that was supposed to have major problems this year. First of all, they have no FAs on their D, everyone is drafted. They lost 2 starting corners and their leading tackler from last year as well as Booger McFarland and Corey Simon. They replaced their corners with 2 young draft picks with very few starts at CB in Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden. Then they replace their best play-making and leading tackler June with Freddie Keiaho who no one has even heard of. Also after losing McFarland instead of panicking and signing a DT in desperation they rely on a rookie DT Johnson. With all that they still held one of the best offenses in the NFL to 0 TDs.

Before I go any further for those who hate the Tampa 2.... The colts were giving up yards in the first quarter but never gave up the TD much like we did against the Saints in Pre-season. Once they were able to score and force the Saints to throw it was easy pickings. Hopefully the Bills O can do something similar to simplify things for our D this year.

DEs: Advantage Colts but not by much. I like our guys especially when Hargrove and Denney are back.

CBs: McGee>Marlin, Hayden=Webster (I believe Youboty will be better than both) Adv. Bills

S: Sanders and Whitner are similar players but Sanders has more experience and is more proven. I like Simpson more than Bethea though. Id say even but if I have to give an adv. it goes to the Colts.

Having said all that even if the Bills struggle in the first half of the season Im still confident that with time we can have similar success.

As a side note.... For all those who always expect big FAs and lots of spending... the Colts also have no FAs on Offense either. Only Adam Vinatieri is FA out of all the starters. Im almost disappointed we spent all that money on Dockery and Walker. However I am happy they are here never the less.

Good Drafting is the key to this league not how much money you spend in March. It also must feel really good for a team/organization to field 22 drafted starters.

I like where the Bills are going with their personnel strategy. We will field 17 Drafted starters this year and possibly more next year if Tripps, Royal and Walker dont pan out. I like that approach even if we have to struggle initially to make it work.

If the Bills can put up some good points per game, we will win more. Getting ahead early and by alot really makes the D look better, nearly everytime.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

You lost all credibility with the DT comments. Tripplett isn't better than anyone- the guy is a complete waste.

Simpson better than Bethea after the game he had last night? You're nuts- Simpson has yet to prove he can consistently stay in position.

Our LB's are completely unproven so I don't now how you could say one way or another at this point. "Upside" means potential- they have to actually REACH that potential before you can give the advantage to the Bills and they haven't done that yet.

This post just wreaks of homerism and is not objective or accurate.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

oh btw- we can't do what the Colts did and acquire all our starters though the draft. This team has WAY too many holes- if we go that route, the positions that are currently set will be old or vacant and be problem spots long before we finish addressing all the current problem spots.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

So you would take Raheem Brock and the Rookie Johnson over our DTs?? Thats just ridiculous. You also seem to have the mis-conception that its our DTs fault that we dont stop the run which is not the case. When you see Williams blow right past his guy into the backfield and hit no one at all he's actually doing his job well. It means he blew up his gap and the RB has to go somewhere else. The point is someone else needs to fill the other gaps as well. This scheme requires practice and time to get right. Gary Brackett and Rob Morris arent stars but they know what they are doing on every play and how to fill their gaps, which means their job is much harder than the job of the DTs who only have to beat their man to a space. Tripplett, McCargo and Williams will look good when the LBs are comfortable doing their jobs.

Their DT's got to the passer. Their DT's disrupted running plays by actually getting THROUGH the gaps. Their DT's got to the sideline on stretch plays. Our DT's do NONE of those things well.

Williams doesn't blow through his gap as much as your making it sound, and even if he does, he's one of 4-5 guys in the rotation and it's not nearly enough.

You have it backwards- the reason the LB's suck is because the DT's AREN'T shooting the gaps and disrupting the running plays, meaning the LB's are facing blockers and RB's going at full speed. And on passing downs, our DT's get no pressure so if Schobel is neutralized, it makes it very difficult for the back 7 in pass coverage.

The Bills' problems on D start with the DL and if the DT's did their job, the entire D would look much better.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

The Colts have 4 new starters on defense.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by madness
                              The Colts have 4 new starters on defense.
                              playing next to experienced players- not playing next to a bunch of 2nd year guys and two or three vets like on our team.

And that doesn't change the fact that our LB's are completely unproven- it's impossible to compare them to anyone, favorably or unfavorably, at this point.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X