PDA

View Full Version : Everyone Should Really Read This Article!

LifetimeBillsFan
09-07-2007, 02:35 AM
Because many Zoners don't take the time to read the articles that are linked on the BZ Front Page and I haven't seen any mention of it in any other threads, I would like to strongly recommend that every Zoner (especially Wys, OpIv, and others) take the time to read Mark Gaughan's excellent article breaking down various NFL statistics and how certain benchmarks in those statistical categories relate to qualifying for the playoffs before it is no longer easily accessible. It is a superb article well worth the time it takes to read it:

URL: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/156414.html?imw=Y

"....Run and stop the run

This is one of the best indicators of strength in the trenches. However, these statistics alone are far from a playoff guarantee. Teams that rank in the top 12 in run defense only make the playoffs 50 percent of the time. Teams in the top 12 in rushing get in 56 percent of the time. Ranking in the top 12 in both rushing and run defense isn't quite as good as one would expect, either. Those teams get in 65 percent of the time.

A good baseline for the defense is holding foes to 115 rushing yards a game. If your team can't do that, it better have a great offense piling up points. A good baseline on offense is rushing for 110 yards a game. Eighty-two percent of playoff teams hit that mark....

Conclusion: Running and stopping the run is a huge key to making the playoffs, with one caveat -- as long as a team gets adequate quarterbacking. Take the Bills in 2004. They ranked seventh in run defense and 13th in rushing. They were plus-10 in turnover ratio. But they had a team passer rating that was only 21st in the league, and they had the sixth fewest passing yards in the league. Not quite good enough....

Turnovers

The big flaw in the passer rating system is it doesn't give a quarterback any credit for winning the game. Still, it's tough to make the playoffs if the quarterback doesn't have an efficiency rating of 80 or better. Only 22 percent of the playoff teams this decade had a QB with a passer rating lower than 80. Teams that had a passer rating of 85 or better made the playoffs 74 percent of the time, regardless of any other factors.....

Red zone

Greatness in this category doesn't assure anything. Of the teams that ranked among the top five in red-zone defense this decade, 17 made the playoffs and 18 didn't.

Nevertheless, five of the last seven Super Bowl winners ranked among the top five in red-zone defense. And holding foes to field goals instead of touchdowns can overcome numerous shortcomings.

New England won the Super Bowl in 2001 with a defense that ranked 24th in yards allowed and 19th against the run. But the Pats were third in red-zone defense and were able to contain a heavily favored St. Louis team to win the title....

Explosive plays

Explosive plays generally are defined as pass plays of 20 yards or more and run plays of 10 yards or more.

It's hard for an offense to mount 12-play drives in the NFL without something going wrong - such as a sack, a penalty or a turnover.

Big pass plays are a function of having talented playmakers, running the ball reasonably well and being able to convert third downs. String several first downs several series in a row, and the defense is going to be forced to creep forward and create an opening for a big play.

Last season, eight of the top 11 teams with the most pass plays of 25 yards or more (the number kept by STATS Inc.) made the playoffs. Philadelphia was No. 1 with 43. Buffalo had just 19 pass plays of 25-plus yards, tied for fifth fewest....

Obviously, points scored and allowed are the result of good quarterbacking, good rushing and run defense and overall efficiency.

Three touchdowns is the benchmark. It's hard to make the playoffs without scoring 21 ppg or better or holding the opponent to 21 ppg. Eighty percent of playoff teams hit both those marks. If an offense can get up to 24 ppg, then the chances of making the playoffs are 78 percent. Ironically, the 2004 Bills scored 24.7 ppg but still missed the playoffs....

....Fewell's goal of holding teams to 17 ppg is a true indicator of success. Teams that did it this decade have made the playoffs 30 of 36 times (83 percent). That's not easy. Only about five teams a year are that good...."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/156414.html?imw=Y

There's a lot more to the article than just this, but here's my reaction to it:

"Run and stop the run" has almost become a mantra for some Zoners, but,as I've tried to point out on many occasions, there's more to winning and being a playoff team than just that. As Mark Weiler correctly pointed out a couple of years ago in one of his articles (yes, Wys, I not only read it, but I actually agreed with you and have quoted and credited you) a couple of years ago, typically criticizing the then-highly-rated Bills defense, a high ranking in terms of yards yielded is not nearly as important as having a high ranking in terms of points allowed. Being able to run and stop the run are, indeed, both important aspects of being a winning team, but, ultimately, the games are decided by how many points each team has put up on the board, not how many yards they have yielded or which team has gained the most yards on the ground.

And, there are a number of things that factor into scoring and preventing an opponent from scoring in addition to being able to run the ball and stop the run. QB efficiency and offensive efficiency, 3 and outs on both sides of the ball, red zone effectiveness on both offense and defense, turnovers, penalties, and field position all contribute to how well a team will do in terms of points scored and points allowed.

As a single statistic, turnover margin, has been shown to be the greatest predictor of which team will win a given game, even though it is not a perfect predictor or, as Gaughan points out, necessarily a perfect predictor of whether a team will make the playoffs or not (the fact that Gaughan did not cite the percentage of teams ranked in the top 10 in turnover margin making the playoffs was a glaring omission in his article--although it is possible for a team to pad its ranking in turnover margin by getting a lot of turnovers against the weaker teams on its schedule and limiting its own turnovers overall, I believe that one would find that a high ranking in turnover margin would hold up as a good, though not perfect, predictor of which teams make the playoffs versus which teams do not).

There are a lot of factors that go into winning and losing, scoring points and allowing points, in the NFL and I would hope that, in assessing the Bills and the progress of their rebuilding this season, Bills fans will try to look at the overall picture and not simply obsess over their performance in one or two statistical categories. IMHO, this article offers a group of good statistics to look at as a guage of where the Bills are at and how they are progressing/regressing as the season goes on.

Additionally, I would also recommend taking a look at Jerry Sullivan's article, which also appeared in the Buffalo News entitled "Make No Mistake, The Bills Are Rebuilding". http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/156414.html?imw=Y

While I don't agree with everything that Sullivan says, it is a sober, thought-provoking assessment of where the Bills are at and what they appear to be trying to do.

If you don't read the Sullivan article, though, IMHO you really should make sure to read Gaughan's.

northernbillfan
09-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Great post.

Thanks for only linking part of the article as copyright laws allow us to only use blurbs and not the full article.

Were the pass play stats a little off due to JP's inexperience?

We were horrible in the red zone an area I hope to see great improvement this season.

However Gaughan is stating the obvious, perhaps running out of topics to write about, when he talks about ground control. It's a no brainer that the reams who can move the ball well on the ground and contain the run on D will excell.

shelby
09-07-2007, 04:21 AM
Great article!

Turf
09-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Really the run stats are a product of not just the running game. You look at a team with 120yrds per game, many other factors go into that.
If the defense get's off the field, that's one. A great passing game, two. An early lead with a good defense with allow the offense the luxury of killing the clock with a lot of meaningless little running plays. That's normally what these stats reflect.
So what am I saying? If you have a great running game and not the whole package, you won't have the stats that say you're a great running team. Conversly, just because you have great running stats doesn't mean you're a great run team.
So let's not just look at "being able to run the ball" as the clincher, though we all know it certainly is extremely important.

jamze132
09-07-2007, 06:09 AM
A team had to be better than the other team to win, at least that is the bottom line, most of the time.

If that is the case and a team wins 6 games in a season, they lost to 10 teams who were probably better. So saying that 63% of the NFL is better than you is probably pretty close to being accurate and you will never have a chance to get into the playoffs until that number drops to around 37%.

The Bills have pretty much been outplayed by more than 60% of the NFL the last 5-6 years...not good. Not good enough to make the playoffs when everyone around you is improving. :help!:

Wys Guy
09-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Because many Zoners don't take the time to read the articles that are linked on the BZ Front Page and I haven't seen any mention of it in any other threads, I would like to strongly recommend that every Zoner (especially Wys, OpIv, and others) take the time to read Mark Gaughan's excellent article breaking down various NFL statistics and how certain benchmarks in those statistical categories relate to qualifying for the playoffs before it is no longer easily accessible. It is a superb article well worth the time it takes to read it:

URL: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/156414.html?imw=Y

I'll try to read this all later LTBF. I just had time to skim it.

I have some thoughts, but the most important of which is how all of those things come together. It's easy to take a stat apart from all else, which the media loves to do, and pitch it as an end-all-to-be-all indicator, but it's also not wise.

I respect Gaughan's work and opinions more than most if not just about all.

I will say this, that there are some things he left out that I would add. T/Os are also an indicator as to other things as well, and again, not an end-all-to-be-all indicator in a vacuum. I.e., there are reasons why teams commit T/Os. They don't "just happen."

Those things boil down to the more fundamental aspects of play.

In general, if a team is fundamentally poor/flawed, then it simply isn't going anywhere.

I would also like to know from how many years back Gaughan drew his data. I try to state it for my analyses. I see a few indicators that it's not all that far back, and if last season's batch of playoff teams is any indication, then mediocrity now even graces the field of PO teams as a good half-dozen of those last year never would have qualified for playoffs in many other prior years.

If Indy had had to play SD in San Diego, then I doubt they would have advanced. Likewise, if Chicago had had more than paper opponents, then I doubt they'd have advanced either. Just about every AFC team that made the playoffs was better than nearly ever NFC team.

Wys Guy
09-07-2007, 08:36 AM
And oh, BTW, as to the "make no mistake, the Bills are rebuilding," by Sullivan, obviously that's the case.

But that's also not what Levy stated nor how he and Jauron behaved last season when he charged in the door. He laid out a non-rebuilding plan and had planned on picking up where the former regime left off.

So IMO he shouldn't get a pass for utterly wasting a season and team resources in ways while not getting some younger guys some most critical experience if that was the case, not to mention indicating that he really didn't have a clue when he got on board as GM.

His moves are also now looking more and more as if he doesn't know what he's doing, nor the personnel office, nor Jauron, and that Wilson just doesn't care about any of it.

That's my problem with that. Wanna rebuild? Fine!

But then come in and clean house immediately, write off the first season, and begin rebuilding after ditching the dead wood.

But he didn't do that. He clung to Clements for whatever his reasons were. He allowed Spikes to play revealing to the world that he had a predictably horrible season and then traded him at his "52-week low," created further player perceptions for this team, and then correspondingly did things like overpay Kelsay making more money for Schobel imminent one year after resigning him, all the while breaking the bank on washouts like Langston Walker, and overpaying Dockery.

Meanwhile in the background you can hear Wilson squeaking that we don't have the financial resources to compete in the NFL.

Well, with acquisitions like those, we can all see precisely why. Collectively those players aren't worth half of what they got when you pitch Royal, Fowler, and Price into the mix, and even at vet min, those players aren't going to help you in going anywhere with perhaps the exceptions of Dockery and Kelsay as players that will help, but not make an enormous impact.

It's not how much you spend, but how you spend it. Levy's clearly clueless there. Clearly.

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
How could you not have time to read the article but yet post two novel like replies?

Wys Guy
09-07-2007, 08:44 AM
How could you not have time to read the article but yet post two novel like replies?

Well, I thought I at least partially addressed that.

Did you read them both? In there is the answer to your question T.

BTW, you going to ante up to my challenge, or are you one of those whose nads will shrivel up into their loins?

You seem to be one of my biggest critics? So how about it, let's see what you know when it comes to predicting in advance!

You must know the team at least as well as I do with all of the opining that you do here.

So be a man and put it all on the line T.

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Well, I thought I at least partially addressed that.

Did you read them both? In there is the answer to your question T.

BTW, you going to ante up to my challenge, or are you one of those whose nads will shrivel up into their loins?

You seem to be one of my biggest critics? So how about it, let's see what you know when it comes to predicting in advance!

You must know the team at least as well as I do with all of the opining that you do here.

So be a man and put it all on the line T.
Sure I will fill it out. Can the predictions be added right to the table you posted?

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2007, 08:54 AM
I really don't see how people not filling it out has anything to do with them being a pussy or not....

MikeInRoch
09-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Here's the big problem. I don't know if "run and stop the run" is truly the cause or the effect of winning games. If you are winning games, then you will be running the ball more frequently. Also, your opponent will be running less frequently to try to score more quickly. I just don't think it's so simple.

Wys Guy
09-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Here's the big problem. I don't know if "run and stop the run" is truly the cause or the effect of winning games. If you are winning games, then you will be running the ball more frequently. Also, your opponent will be running less frequently to try to score more quickly. I just don't think it's so simple.
A very good thought Mike!!

Now, put that entire thing into a chicken-egg type of scenario w/ other aspects of the game and analyze it that way.

For example, if you can run, you clearly control more of the clock. What does that mean for an O, an opposing D, etc. How do those things impact the game.

How about an 80-yard drive, score or not. Does it matter how it's levied? I.e., is a 2-play drive with a 76-yard TD pass equivalent and equally desirable to a 14-play drive of the same 80 yards? Why or why not.

madness
09-07-2007, 09:33 AM
I agree, the "won in the trenches" line is way overrated.

Meathead
09-07-2007, 09:46 AM
jp is going to be amazing this year

flutie with an arm and five inches

weak d will get hammered the first third of the season but will rebound enough to string together some wins later in the year

9-7 squeaking out a wc

http://www.grinningplanet.com/2003/judge-is-nuts/judge-court-jester-copyrighted.gif