PDA

View Full Version : Look who's talking NOW...Sabres talking with Cambell, Kalinin and Hecht

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-07-2007, 12:08 PM
In the bewildering aftermath of co-captains Daniel Briere and Chris Drury bolting the Buffalo Sabres, the front office proclaimed it had learned a lesson about dealing with players entering unrestricted free agency.

The Sabres have three players who could hit the open market after this season, and General Manager Darcy Regier said it would be a summer priority to work on re-signing defensemen Brian Campbell and Dmitri Kalinin and forward Jochen Hecht.

The Sabres on Thursday will report to HSBC Arena for training camp. While it doesn’t appear there will be any extensions to announce before then, there are indications the club is ready to be more proactive than it has been.

Regier said he has had “some very general conversations” with the players’ respective agents. He added there was “no real timeline” to get extensions signed.

Campbell, for one, would rather not be heading into the final season of his contract.

“It’s a little unsettling, but we’ll see what happens,” Campbell said after an informal workout in the Amherst Pepsi Center. “I’m just waiting to see what’s going on. You can do things at any time, so we’ll see what happens.

“Would I like something to get done? Yeah. I like it here. But I can’t worry about that too much right now.”

Campbell would be coveted if he were to hit the market next summer. The team’s top scoring defenseman and All-Star starter will make $1.75 million this season. Kalinin will make $2.25 million, while Hecht will earn $2.35 million.

“I just have to keep playing hard and keep trying to win hockey games,” Campbell said.

The Sabres have plenty of time to hammer out contract extensions with Campbell, Kalinin and Hecht. While they’ve had a policy against in-season negotiations in the past, Regier suggested the front office might revisit that strategy.

“I don’t have any hard-and-fixed rules with respect to that,” Regier said. “That’s something we’ll look at and work through as we proceed here.

“I don’t want to put a deadline on it, but the preference would be to do them sooner rather than later.”

Teams at any time can negotiate contract extensions with players entering the final year of a multi-year deal. Teams must wait until Jan. 1 to negotiate with players on one-year deals, as was the case with Briere last season.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnhl/story/156918.html

SabreEleven
09-07-2007, 01:27 PM
I'd like to see Campbell play in his final year of his contract. Maybe he'll get off his All-Star laurels and play with some urgency and consistancy every night.

Meathead
09-07-2007, 02:05 PM
at least theyve learned their lesson

but it took the biggest front office blunder in buffalo sports history

dumbasses

Nighthawk
09-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Umm, why the hell is he talking with Kalinin about an extension? This guy has been given every opportunity to show what he can do and all he has shown is that he is an average (at best) defenseman. I just don't get it.

chernobylwraiths
09-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Umm, why the hell is he talking with Kalinin about an extension? This guy has been given every opportunity to show what he can do and all he has shown is that he is an average (at best) defenseman. I just don't get it.

Maybe he is just talking to him about where he wants to play?

Trade his ass!

JD
09-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Its common sense that players play better with extensions or bonuses, it shows them that the team WANTS and has faith in what they do.

Being on your last year, you become uneasy..and feelings of betrayel/mishandeling come to mind with the organization.

GET SOMETHING DONE, before its too late...again

Nighthawk
09-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Its common sense that players play better with extensions or bonuses, it shows them that the team WANTS and has faith in what they do.

Being on your last year, you become uneasy..and feelings of betrayel/mishandeling come to mind with the organization.

GET SOMETHING DONE, before its too late...again

I'd have to disagree. It is very common for a player to play their best in the last year of their contract because they are trying to get the BIG contract. Then, after they sign it, they tend to lose focus and go back to being their average, lazy self. This is not the case with everybody, but if I had to guess...then I would say that this would be the case with Kalinin.

OpIv37
09-08-2007, 03:25 PM

agreed- this is hockey- contracts are guaranteed. If it were football where they could kick him to the curb after the season with no penalties, then there would be no problem. But if they re-sign him, they'll have to pay him even if he continues to suck.

chernobylwraiths
09-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I'd have to disagree. It is very common for a player to play their best in the last year of their contract because they are trying to get the BIG contract. Then, after they sign it, they tend to lose focus and go back to being their average, lazy self. This is not the case with everybody, but if I had to guess...then I would say that this would be the case with Kalinin.

Maybe we can be OK with him this year after all. Keep him (without signing him to an extension) and see if he has a career year to sign that big contract next year. Then we can trade him at the deadline.

Nighthawk
09-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Maybe we can be OK with him this year after all. Keep him (without signing him to an extension) and see if he has a career year to sign that big contract next year. Then we can trade him at the deadline.

That would be how I did it...let's see what they do.

Two4trippn
09-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Hecht can leave as far as I'm concerned after this season. Paille should be ready to take his role soon enough. Kalinin should be signed before Campbell as a safety net but Soupy should get his jack when all is said and done.