PDA

View Full Version : Manning vs Brady

Cntrygal
09-08-2007, 03:19 AM
Has the debate ended before it even began?

Has Peyton Manning removed even the tiniest doubt that anyone might have that he is the very best quarterback in the NFL?

After watching him throw for 288 yards and three touchdowns in his first game of the season, I'm inclined to think so.

Tom Brady, who is the only other quarterback worthy of being in the discussion, is still awaiting his turn to show off the 2007 edition of his throwing arm in a revamped passing attack.

more... (http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story?id=09000d5d802215d4&template=without-video&confirm=true)

mybills
09-08-2007, 07:06 AM
F*** Brady...Peyton RULES compared to him. Plus he's RULED for a lot longer. :punk:

CuseJetsFan83
09-08-2007, 07:08 AM
brady is only even known because of the superbowls......

had bledsoe not gotten hurt that year against the jets in week 2, brady would have probably been a career backup

manning is by far the best qb in the game now, and maybe make a case for best all time, his superbowl last year just solidifies that point

Ickybaluky
09-08-2007, 09:51 AM
brady is only even known because of the superbowls......

had bledsoe not gotten hurt that year against the jets in week 2, brady would have probably been a career backup

manning is by far the best qb in the game now, and maybe make a case for best all time, his superbowl last year just solidifies that point

It is hard to argue against Manning being the best in the NFL right now, given all he has accomplished. However, Brady isn't far off. The argument in Brady's favor is the talent he has been surrounded with, which has been well below that of Manning. The fact Brady has been so successful is due in large part to him, and he would be successful on any other team.

Name all the Pro-Bowlers Brady has played with. Name the talent he has been surrounded by for the majority of his career.

Manning has had Tarik Glenn on his blindside since coming into the NFL. He has had Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James and Joe Addai has his halfbacks. He has had Marcus Pollar and now Dallas Clark at TE. He has had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. All those guys are great players, and he has been able to play with those players over a long time to develop chemistry. He has had the same offense and coordinator that whole time.

This year Brady has more talent at the skill positions and his overall numbers will be better. It will take some time to develop the necessary timing and execution, but eventually those players will get integrated and his numbers will improve a great deal. Calling him a career backup is laughably ignorant. If the situations were reversed and Brady had gone to Indy, he would be the one putting up huge numbers and Manning would be playing in the more conservative system.

It is funny, I would argue that last year was the best performance of Brady's career. His WR corps was shot to hell and they were bringing guys in off the street and playing them. They had nobody to stretch the field, and teams were bringing up the S, blitzing more and flooding the short zones. He had very small windows to throw into and was under more pressure, but still managed to throw for more than 3,500 yards, complete almost 62% of his passes and throw 24 TDs to only 12 Ints. To be that efficient in that situation is remarkable, because there was a lot of pressure on him to make it work. His team went to the brink of the championship game, but if you ask me they would not have made the playoffs at all if he hadn't performed near that level.

If you ask me, Brady and Manning are remarkably similar. Both have great mechanics, are accurate and poised. Both move well in the pocket but aren't runners. Both have the ability to lead a team to a championship. Both are great players.

I'll give the edge to Manning. He is coming off a Super Bowl victory and is putting up remarkable numbers. She shows no sign of slowing down and in the end might be judged the best ever. Personally, I like watching Manning play, the guy is a master.

However, none of that is a reflection on Brady. Brady is a great player in his own right, and watching him play regularly gives you a great appreciation of how important he is to what the Pats have achieved. He is the reason the Pats offense has worked despite not having great talent. He makes players around him a lot better by his ability to run the offense and spread it around. Now that he has some improved talent, I'm excited to see how it works out.

mybills
09-11-2007, 02:28 PM
I'll give the edge to Manning. He is coming off a Super Bowl victory and is putting up remarkable numbers. She shows no sign of slowing down and in the end might be judged the best ever. Personally, I like watching Manning play, the guy is a master.

I hope that's a typ0 and not a slipped-in dig.

Ickybaluky
09-11-2007, 08:05 PM
I hope that's a typ0 and not a slipped-in dig.

I didn't even notice that, it was unintentional. Manning is one of my favorite players. The guy is flat-out a great player, and watching him play is a treat.

YardRat
09-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Are we supposed to compare the two with or without the sideline camera's?

LtBillsFan66
09-11-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd take them both. They are a close #1 and #2. It's a stupid debate, imo.

PECKERWOOD
09-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Manning all the way.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Manning for the simple reason that Brady is not all that good and would not be the three time champ he is credited as now without Bellyjerk stealing signals.

mybills
09-12-2007, 07:04 AM
I didn't even notice that, it was unintentional. Manning is one of my favorite players. The guy is flat-out a great player, and watching him play is a treat.
I know, I was joking. Nobody gets my sense of humor. :sadwalk: