PDA

View Full Version : The deep pass was a GREAT call

casdhf
09-09-2007, 03:37 PM
3rd and 5 and go deep? We'd all be singing a different tune it it won us the game. Evans was open and JP usually connects on those passes.

3rd and 5, Denver is looking run all the way. Great call.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-09-2007, 03:43 PM
3rd and 5 and go deep? We'd all be singing a different tune it it won us the game. Evans was open and JP usually connects on those passes.

Cant say it was great, very very gutsy, and it didnt work.. If it did then great but still a gutsy call when the clock needs to be run down..

Scumbag College
09-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Cant say it was great, very very gutsy, and it didnt work.. If it did then great but still a gutsy call when the clock needs to be run down..

Where was the deep ball the first 57 and a half minutes in the game? Why then?

don137
09-09-2007, 03:52 PM
No, I disagree. Even if they completed it that is a very low percentage play. If they made a first down they could of almost ran out the clock. What would rather take a low percentage play that of does not work will stop the clock but has a chance to put the game away or a play will be a much better chance of moving but at worse keeps the clock moving. That was not the time to do that play especially after JP was off all day. The fact that Denver only needed a FG only reinforces the idea that it was a stupid call.

Historian
09-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Stupid call.

And the throw was nowhere near him.

patmoran2006
09-09-2007, 03:58 PM
It was a horrible call ... The % on that completion is low, even if he's open (which by the way he was- it was overthrown by JP)

Run the ball in the middle of the field for three straight plays in that situation. Lynch already showed them the ability to break a tackle or two. Two first downs and the game is history. Worst case you burn down more clock and/or they burn TO's.

TacklingDummy
09-09-2007, 03:59 PM

For me to poop on!

Novacane
09-09-2007, 04:01 PM
It was a stupid call.

TheBrownBear
09-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I tend to like ballsy playcalling like that, but it wasn't necessary at that point. You also have to consider who is trying to execute the play (Losman) and who it is against (Champ). The playcall actually worked, but the execution was poor....and the rest is history.

Would the Bills have won if they had run the ball or thrown a short screen/slant on that play? We'll never know. But it might have made it a little tougher for Denver to get down the field with one less TO.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-09-2007, 04:03 PM

I would love to have seen Buffalo challenge the deep ball more.. Notice the difference when Denvers WR caught the ball they were in motion, make the catch and change gear.. Buffalo's WR were stopped when they caught the ball.. Any defense looks great when you dont atleast challenge them..

Scumbag College
09-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I would love to have seen Buffalo challenge the deep ball more.. Notice the difference when Denvers WR caught the ball they were in motion, make the catch and change gear.. Buffalo's WR were stopped when they caught the ball.. Any defense looks great when you dont atleast challenge them..

Well, the TE screen with 8 seconds left in the first half was brilliant too.

But I totally agree, Bly and Bailey are good corners, but with the WR screens or the one step patterns out on the outside to the WRs, they could just tee off and not let the Bills WRs do anything. This was as terrible of a game called on offense as it was on defense on not stopping the slants. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

PECKERWOOD
09-09-2007, 04:11 PM
We're always looking to trick people on offense with the unexpected play calls. I want the defense to know that we are going to attack them on the LOS and I want us to go out there and out muscle them and convert anyways. That's what championship teams do. I'm sick of us relying on one big play here and there in order for our offense to be productive. Why can't we just be consistent through out the game?

Uncle Jesse
09-09-2007, 04:12 PM
This thread is just as dumb as that play call.

casdhf
09-09-2007, 04:37 PM
It was a horrible call ... The % on that completion is low, even if he's open (which by the way he was- it was overthrown by JP)

Run the ball in the middle of the field for three straight plays in that situation. Lynch already showed them the ability to break a tackle or two. Two first downs and the game is history. Worst case you burn down more clock and/or they burn TO's. Like JP's % on a 5 yard slant would be any higher

Philagape
09-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Like JP's % on a 5 yard slant would be any higher

He did complete 70% of his non-bomb throws

OpIv37
09-09-2007, 04:41 PM

yeah, it cost us the game. Real ****ing great. Outcoached again.

patmoran2006
09-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Like JP's % on a 5 yard slant would be any higher
If they dont have the confidence that JP can hook up on a 5-yard slant on 3rd and 5 late in the game, then Trent Edwards will be this team's QB sooner than you think.

YardRat
09-09-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't mind the call...it created the match-up the team was looking for, and success was there for the taking. It should have been a TD.

Anybody that *****es about that play call should also be *****ing about the two hand-offs to Lynch on third down and long deep in Denver territory. But you won't, because they both worked.

Ebenezer
09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
If they dont have the confidence that JP can hook up on a 5-yard slant on 3rd and 5 late in the game, then Trent Edwards will be this team's QB sooner than you think.
he may be playing not because of JP but because of the injuries to the defense...this team now faces the real possibility of starting out 0-8 going into the Miami game.

MikeInRoch
09-09-2007, 06:11 PM
I agree - I like the call. I liked it then, I still like it.

Mr. Pink
09-09-2007, 06:20 PM
The final 2 offensive play calls is what cost us the game. Running a toss to the short side of the field? Terrible. Throwing a bomb on 3rd and 5? Inexplicably ******ed.

You run two draws/slams/dives....it's a completely different game. A. Denver would have less time to make their way downfield, considering they got that kick off with 2 seconds left, HUGE. B. Less timeouts.

Good teams find ways to win the close ones, bad teams find ways to lose.

unfortunately today, we fall in the latter category.

Ebenezer
09-09-2007, 06:21 PM
the call would have been great and everybody would have cheered had it worked...however, if somebody asked you before the game "14-12, 2:26 to play and 3rd and 5 from your own X...what do you call?" I think "long bomb to Lee Evans against Champ Bailey and the safety" would have been pretty low on EVERYBODY'S list.

Mr. Pink
09-09-2007, 06:26 PM
the call would have been great and everybody would have cheered had it worked...however, if somebody asked you before the game "14-12, 2:26 to play and 3rd and 5 from your own X...what do you call?" I think "long bomb to Lee Evans against Champ Bailey and the safety" would have been pretty low on EVERYBODY'S list.

You know what those two play calls made me think?

I thought and even said to my buddies..."I thought Mularkey left two seasons ago? This is the kind of crap playcalling that made all of us nuts in his tenure. We're taking an L for that."

Ebenezer
09-09-2007, 06:32 PM
You know what those two play calls made me think?

I thought and even said to my buddies..."I thought Mularkey left two seasons ago? This is the kind of crap playcalling that made all of us nuts in his tenure. We're taking an L for that."
wasn't it ML who coined the phrase "play smart"?

don137
09-09-2007, 06:40 PM

Sure if it worked I would of cheered but I also would of said it was a stupid call because more often than not it wouldn't of worked. That call was one of many errors in the last 5 minutes of the game.

capitolneal
09-09-2007, 06:41 PM

I agree 100% that was a ballsy play and he does connect deep had 1 yd on Bailey... And that play had nothing to do with the outcome, the defense had them down and out quick slant to walker we just ***** the bed on D

BillsFever21
09-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Any call in the course of the game that doesn't work would look like a great call if it actually did work. Sad exscuse.

We ran nothing but short plays all game long and must have ran that same play where JP throws the ball as soon as it's snapped across the sideline about 6 times and it only worked once with Parrish.

The playcalling was the worst I have seen since Gilbride. This was the best they could come up with when they had 2 months to come up with it? If that is the case then we are really screwed when he has a few days.

The entire game we played like pussies on offense and then that of all plays is when Jauron decides to try deep? That is unacceptable. All we need is 5 yards and that game is over. Even if we don't make it we win the game considering it took to the final second to win the game. We had the ball with 3 minutes left in the game and only took 1 MINUTE off the clock. That is why we lost the game.

Ebenezer
09-09-2007, 07:11 PM
We had the ball with 3 minutes left in the game and only took 1 MINUTE off the clock.

1-10-BUF 33 (3:32) 23-M.Lynch up the middle to BUF 36 for 3 yards (58-N.Webster).
2-7-BUF 36 (2:51) 23-M.Lynch right end pushed ob at BUF 38 for 2 yards (55-D.Williams).
3-5-BUF 38 (2:43) 7-J.Losman pass incomplete deep right to 83-L.Evans. Overthrown, receiver at DEN 10.
4-5-BUF 38 (2:36) 8-B.Moorman punts 52 yards to DEN 10, Center-72-R.Neill. 12-D.Hixon to DEN 15 for 5 yards (89-S.Aiken). PENALTY on BUF-84-R.Royal, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at BUF 38 - No Play.
4-15-BUF 28 (2:25) 8-B.Moorman punts 46 yards to DEN 26, Center-72-R.Neill. 12-D.Hixon to DEN 34 for 8 yards (51-P.Posluszny).

Stewie
09-09-2007, 07:58 PM

One has nothing to do with the other

And the answer to why then was in the OP: because they were expecting the run all the way.

unpaid_bills
09-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Stupid call.

And the throw was nowhere near him.

Watch it again it was right there. Easy to second guess a play call like that when it doesnt work. Would you rather have them throw a three yard out?

Mr. Pink
09-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Watch it again it was right there. Easy to second guess a play call like that when it doesnt work. Would you rather have them throw a three yard out?

YES!

Run a sprint out pass option...if the pass is there throw it...if nothing is there run it. Remember, even if you don't get the first down...the clock still runs, and woulda taken it down to the 2 minute warning or forced Denver to blow a timeout.

It's risk vs reward...the bomb was high risk high reward....a 3 yard dumpoff or bootleg is low risk high reward. A TD wasn't necessary there, moving the chains and/or clock was.

I've seen how many of people around say Dick is a great coach, Dick is better than Mularkey. The final two play calls were straight out of Mularkey's playbook or Kevin Gilbride...equally ******ed.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Losman said in his PC after the game that the he agrees with the Bills coaching staff on the 3 & 5deep pass to Evans. He said that He and the coaching staff felt like they could catch the Broncos :z: on that play and we did I just put a little to much on it and overthrew Lee.

superbills
09-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Losman said in his PC after the game that the he agrees with the Bills coaching staff on the 3 & 5deep pass to Evans. He said that He and the coaching staff felt like they could catch the Broncos :z: on that play and we did I just put a little to much on it and overthrew Lee.

What did we expect him to say? That the coaches are ******ed and he'd be better off calling the plays? Maybe that's what he was thinking, but nothing he says in a press conference would tip his hand to that. Thanks JP for stating the obvious. We know you were trying to catch the Broncos sleeping and we ALL know that you overthrew Evans. A simple "No Comment" would have said wonders in response to that question.