PDA

View Full Version : Helmets?

unpaid_bills
09-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Did anyone notice today on both sides players seemed to be losing their helments after hits. It happened in another game today -- just an observation

HHURRICANE
09-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Dread locks. It's a huge issue and the NFL is struggling on what to do about it.

I'm not joking.

hydro
09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah i just saw Marion Barber lose his helmet, and he has a massive amount of dreds. I didn't think that was the problem until you pointed it out Hurricane.

BILLSROCK1212
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM
vincent jackson too

Historian
09-10-2007, 05:02 AM
I didn't think Lynch was going to get up from that one hit where his helmet went flying.

Coach Sal
09-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks for starting this thread.

This is something I've been harping on for a while.....and if you've listen to any of my NFL Roundtable podcasts, you know what I mean.

Watching these helmets fly off of these guys in the middle of a play is very disturbing. It happens numerous times almost every single game....and also happens quite often in college now, too.

I started seeing it a lot more about 4-5 years ago, and it only gets worse every year (more helmets coming off).

Obviously, violent collisions are going to occur, which could cause a helmet to loosen or come off. BUT, the chances would be much, much less if it weren't for two things:

1. The dreads issue Hurricane pointed out. Definitely contributes;

2. (This is the main reason): Players in the NFL do not wear their helmets properly. They don't fit the way they should. I know this because it's easy to see. Watch when a player takes his helmet on/off. Often, it just slides right off their head. THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!! Helmets should be tight to the cheeks and head. It should have enough pressure on the forehead to cause a bit of discomfort when it first gets put on. The ear pads should basically squeeze the cheeks. When a player takes it off, he should have to pull the ear holes out a little, then use some force to get it off his head. And pull them back out to put it on.

I don't think NFL players do that because they feel it restricts them. So, they are sacraficing some discomfort for their safety.

Also, on this same note, chin straps are there for a reason. Holy crap, buckle them up!

If the NFL is serious about preventing concussions, they need to look at this issue as one of the main reasons. Making trainers and players make sure their helmets are being worn properly may help to prevent some of these guys getting brain damage by the time they're 50.

Or killed on the field.