• Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Forked Thread: The deep pass was a GREAT call or was it: you make the call

Forked from: The deep pass was a GREAT call

Originally posted by Ebenezer
    the call would have been great and everybody would have cheered had it worked...however, if somebody asked you before the game "14-12, 2:26 to play and 3rd and 5 from your own X...what do you call?" I think "long bomb to Lee Evans against Champ Bailey and the safety" would have been pretty low on EVERYBODY'S list.
    if somebody asked you before the game "14-12, 2:26 to play and 3rd and 5 from your own X...what do you call?" Would you really have called a bomb to Evans??

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Forked Thread: The deep pass was a GREAT call or was it: you make the call

3rd and nine or 3rd and eleven, in Denver territory on a short field.

Would you really have called for two hand-offs to Lynch?

You know damn well the only difference between the calls is success versus failure...player execution.

Lynch gains a first down = good call.
    Lynch scores a TD = good call.
    Losman overthrows an open Evans = bad call.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

What would I have called? on 3rd and 5 Id have run nothing but crosses and slants to get the 5 yards not a 35 yard bomb
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

The difference between calls is the chance of success vs. failure.

If the difficulty of the play makes no difference, then let's call a long bomb on every play.
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy
          What would I have called? on 3rd and 5 Id have run nothing but crosses and slants to get the 5 yards not a 35 yard bomb
          Like I said in the original thread...if you want to throw, fine...but go with a QB sprint out throw option.

Run it to the wide side of the field, if the receiver is there, throw it...if no one is open, JP can take off upfield and try to make a play with his legs. Either way, you have a better chance at converting the first down which is all that was needed there. A TD wasn't necessary to win that game on that very play. Risk vs reward dictates that that was indeed a very stupid playcall.

I'm really beginning to think this coaching staff either A. is completely inept or B. has absolutely no trust in JP. We saw another completely dumbed down gameplan from start to finish....remember that fun preseason term? Oh yeah it was only preseason so they weren't showing anything...OOPS.

The gameplan today much like the preseason...VANILLA.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

No. I might have called it in the third quarter, but not with time running out and needing to retain possession.

There were a few other things I would have done differently. For instance, I would have take the penalty to put more yardage between the Broncos and field goal range when the Denver player batted the ball out of bounds.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• jmb1099
              • Sep 2004

With the scenario given i run the ball and run the clock. If we pick up four yards I might try to draw off sides on the next play.
              Second option is a screen pass to Lynch.

With the benefit of hindsight I can say without hesitation they should have handed Lynch the ball. If we burn one more second of clock we win that game...period.

Comment

• superbills
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
                3rd and nine or 3rd and eleven, in Denver territory on a short field.

Would you really have called for two hand-offs to Lynch?

You know damn well the only difference between the calls is success versus failure...player execution.

Lynch gains a first down = good call.
                Lynch scores a TD = good call.
                Losman overthrows an open Evans = bad call.
                You're taking time out of the equation. The outcome of the play isn't what makes it a bad call. It's the situation in which the play was run and more importantly the time of the game in which it was run. Lynch's two runs served one purpose only: to make a first down or more. That was the only factor in those calls. If Lynch doesn't convert, we turn around and play defense with still a lot of time to play.Turns out, they worked.

However, on that Losman bomb, you've got to pick a play that serves two purposes: Get a first down and Keep the clock running. Given the time left on the clock, the fact that you're already in the lead, and the fact that it's thrid down, you're looking for a play that provides minimal to moderate risk with minimal to moderate reward. That bomb play is the last one that you call. A high risk/high reward play does not serve the purposes of the situation. It's a bad coaching decision and unfortunately for us, we didn't get the high reward that was sought.
                "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                Ronald Reagan
                40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

2nd down should have been a run between the tackles instead of to the outside (and out of bounds, stopping the clock).

3rd down should have been a run between the tackles instead of a Rex Grossman style home run play.

KILL THE DAMN CLOCK. Lynch ran well the entire day then they use him improperly at the most crucial juncture of the game.

Staying inbounds on 2nd down would have gotten us to the 2 min warning. Another running play would have taken about 30+ seconds off the clock- they would have been below a minute and a half when they got the ball back. Stupid.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Hindsight is what it is. Evans had his man beat, the throw however was off the mark. I don't say you can so much question the call as you can by the execution of Losman. Short, Medium or Long Losman was really bad today.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                      Hindsight is what it is.

but you can try to answer the question that was posed without hindsight

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                        but you can try to answer the question that was posed without hindsight
                        Go ahead.

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

Are you kidding me?

I'm having Mularkey play-calling flashbacks here.

This is absolutely the worst call I've seen in recent memory.

OK, so Buffalo is ahead by 2 points, it's 3rd and 5, there is 2:43 left in the game, and Denver has 2 timeouts.

One would think that the best thing to do in this situation is to try to run out the clock by getting a first down. If we get a first down, we pretty much have the Broncos by their horse balls...and that first down is only 5 yards away.

What do we do, instead?

We attempt a 50 bomb to Evans.

This has to be up there with one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

Not only that, but the passing game had been pathetic all day...not even 100 yards in the air. The odds of completing that bomb are small. This isn't practice anymore; those long passes are difficult, especially against the excellent Denver secondary.

I really don't get that call. I hope none of you actually agree with that call.

So we throw the bomb, and they get the ball back and win with 0000 on the clock

We acted like we needed some quick points instead of trying to win the game, regardless of how we looked. In other words, it almost seemed like we didn't want to win "ugly"...we wanted to show 'em what we can do.

Totally and completely stupid thing to do.

Comment

• feldspar
                            • Mar 2007

For those of you rationalizing that Evans "had his man beat," consider this: completeing a pass thrown 50 yards in the air is much harder than completeing a 5 yard pass. Gaining 5 yards on the ground is also much more likely that completeing that pass...you have to play the odds, no try to show off when you've been getting burned all day. Play to win, not to look good.

And a 5 yard pass would have been the equilavent of a home run.

It was a completely stupid call to make. Completely stupid, and there are no redeeming qualities about it.

Comment

• Meathead
                              Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                              • Jul 2002

dumb dumb dumb

right now this looks like a flat out dumb team top to bottom. i cant believe one team would make so many dumb plays across the board in one game
                              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                              X