PDA

View Full Version : Emotional turmoil of a Buffalo Bills Fan

Throne Logic
09-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I seem to invest a lot of my emotions in this team. Does anyone else have these issues? Or should I just seek professional help?

For me, this game was a microcosm of the entire 2006 season. My level of hope was built up multiple times in various categories, each to be dashed with extreme horror. The culmination being the end of the fourth quarter. By half way through the fourth quarter, that dark seed of doubt began creaping in. Man, I said to myself, it would be just like last year if we let Denver work their way down field and kill us with a last minute field goal. Ah, but then my hope returned! We've got the ball back. All we need to do is kill the clock! Oh, wait, no, it is just like last year. . . with a special crap cake served up as desert - Denver somehow manages to set a record with bringing out the FG unit in 11 seconds. I swear that Elam never broke stride out of his sprint from the sideline. He just swung his leg when he got to the ball.

Heartbreaking just doesn't cover this. My wife doesn't understand why I keep watching these games as I'm an emtional wreck after each one and frequently grumpy for a good 24 hours follow each loss (which is more of the rule these days). Since we met in 2001, the Bills have basically sucked. I can't wait until she can see the positive side of this addiction we call Buffalo Bills Football.

I feel like I did when the Titans executed that rediculous music city crap in our last post-season appearence an eon ago.

And, adding injury to insult today, we've lost two starters for most if not all of the season. Oh, and we have a mid-twenties young man in emergency surgery that will most likely determine whether or not he'll be able to walk again. May KE come out of surgery with a good prognosis.

I want to focus on the positives. But I'm quite depressed after this total and complete emotional kick to the nuts.

Oh well, by Tuesday I'll be working up the anticipation for next Sunday where I'm sure the Bills will find new and twisted ways to screw with my emotional stability.

- TL

Philagape
09-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Ironically perhaps, the sorry history of this team has helped teach me to deal with emotional turmoil. I can handle it. It's numbed me.

Of course, the Everett injury is a whole different level of emotion.

OpIv37
09-09-2007, 10:00 PM
yeah after watching a loss, I don't want to do anything and I don't even want to watch anything sports related until at least thursday.

The team does have a habit of getting my hopes up- just like Jacksonville in 04, we led the entire game only to once again demonstrate an uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. As bad as we played, we somehow found a way to beat them for 59 minutes and 58 seconds. Unfortunately, "almost" only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and Canadian football, so we end up with yet another tally in the loss column.

The injuries are frustrating too. Denney gets injured so we sign Warren to replace him, and Warren gets injured and Hargrove gets suspended. Ellison is injured so Wire starts then Wire gets injured. We sign Webster because Youboty's not ready then Webster gets injured. Kevin Everrett has a good first half, then he gets injured. And it's Week ****ING ONE!

Of course, it all seems trivial when you stop to think that Kevin Everett is lucky to be alive and will be even luckier if he ever walks again, and I wish him and his family the best.

But the seriousness of his injury doesn't make a loss any easier to swallow. This team lets us down again and again.

realdealryan
09-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I feel very similar. High hopes when Poz stands up Henry in the hole. Back down when our offense does NOTHING. Then the pinnacle of the day, the Lynch touchdown. Then we do nothing the rest of the day. And give the game away. And a guy's life changes forever. A hell of a day, and I have been in a hell of a bad mood since Elam put that last kick through.

A lot more of that coming this year...

cocamide
09-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I wasn't excited at all this game (except when Roscoe ran that punt back) because I knew that in the end the Bills would blow it. Every year, it's the same thing. It doesn't matter what players are in, or what the situation is. I know they'll disappoint me. I can only hope this changes one day.

BILLSROCK1212
09-09-2007, 10:17 PM
i was at a party dancing like i havent in awhile....after i found out the score i didn't feel like dancing and then 5 minutes later i passed out....luckily it wasnt too bad and i can talk to you guys tonight....its been a bad day as a Bills fan

Turf
09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Get out while you can Throne. Being a Bills fan is a disease. You either have it or you don't. If you have it, you're screwed. There is no antidote.
Those who have claimed to have recovered from being true fans and found other teams were charlatans, and will be be dealt with at the judgement.

MarvLevy
09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
when the game ended..i said to myself.."im done" "i need a new team" "they are going to kill me"

kinigirly
09-09-2007, 11:35 PM
its an everchanging and unpredictable artform how this team manages to screw themselves over and give games away. its a never ending trainwreck, but its my trainwreck

jamze132
09-10-2007, 02:31 AM
It's probably a good thing I live in Italy and cannot attend any Bills games. Because if I did, and I had to get in a car after the game, I would probably be dead or in jail due to a mad case of the road rage.

I am about sick of this team losing just about every week the EXACT same way we lost the previous week. Why do we keep getting these coaches that don't know how to coach?

SABURZFAN
09-10-2007, 03:55 AM
:help!:

billsburgh
09-10-2007, 05:00 AM
I found myself saying after the game why do i do this to myself year after year. why do I put myself through this year after year. it always ends up killing me in the end.

shelby
09-10-2007, 05:05 AM
It sucks that we lost, but to me it's a matter of perspective.
Kevin Everett's injury far supercedes any anger or disappointment i may feel about losing the game.

Historian
09-10-2007, 05:08 AM
its a never ending trainwreck, but its my trainwreck

And there lies the answer to the original question.

Unfortunately, the next two weeks could get ugly.

billsburgh
09-10-2007, 05:18 AM
And there lies the answer to the original question.

Unfortunately, the next two weeks could get ugly.
I am absolutely dreading this next week living in pissburgh. With the steelers playing the way they did yesterday and the Bills being the Bills, I see a big loss coming up at Heinz Field. At least I'm starting a new job on the Monday after the Steeler game and nobody there knows that I'm a Bills fan, so I shouldn't have to take any abuse there. If I were at my old job, that would be a different story.