• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

"If the bomb on 3rd and 5 had worked, we'd all think it was a great call"

This argument is inherently flawed.

The issue is NOT what would have happened if the play had worked. The issue is regarding the most intelligent course of action at that point in the game.

All we had to do was kill the clock. Two runs to the inside (on 2nd and 3rd down) may have resulted in a 1st down the way Lynch was running, and even if they didn't result in a first down, they would have taken over a minute off the clock.

The wisest course of action at that point in the game is to KILL AS MUCH CLOCK AS POSSIBLE.

We failed to do that 2 plays in a row. Our coaches took that juncture of the game to go for the knockout blow, after not doing it for the ENTIRE first 57 minutes and 30 seconds of the game. Our coaches tried to outsmart the Broncos' coaches instead of playing smart, fundamental football. It was a Mularkey moment: "This play is SO stupid that they'll never expect us to actually TRY it!"

bottom line: it was a mistake and it cost us the game.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: "If the bomb on 3rd and 5 had worked, we'd all think it was a great call"

There are times to gamble. That wasn't one of them.

And I agree the outcome is irrelevant to the wisdom of any call. If, for example, something works 4 times out of 10, the 4 successes don't justify the 40 percent chance of success. If the bomb had worked, the Bills would have gotten away with playing with fire.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• MarvLevy
      Can I get some power to give REP?
      • Jul 2005

JP dont NOT know how to manage a game or manage an offense for that matter. At that point, the ONLY thing that matters is the 1st down!

And I'm starting to notice another thing..this KID complains (on the field) entirely too much!!! He is a crybaby...on plays that are totally his fault.

Comment

• MarvLevy
        • Jul 2005

i see a total carry over in Pittsburgh as a result of this game...

Has this happened the last 3 years or is it just me???
        1st at Jax..last year vs NE..now vs Den..all 3 we had won!!!! pitiful!!!

Comment

• kinigirly
          • Sep 2005

i felt like we were scrambling for points when we should have been slowing down. i don't know where the coaches priorities were. they threatened us multiple times, and handed us the back the game on a silver platter multiple times. you can always count on us to bend over and give away the game in the last few minutes

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

I think they were trying to ease in Marshawn Lynch. They didn't want to ride him too hard in his first pro game and chances are he's still learning the offense. Overall, I felt like we should have spread em out and had Losman go into shotgun and throw a quick slant or something. It's seems like we had much success with this earlier on in the game, so why change it, when they couldn't stop it?

Comment

• MarvLevy
              • Jul 2005

I will say it AGAIN...JP is not a starting NFL QB..I am sorry. I know I will get ripped.

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

Let's put it this way .... if that wasn't a bad call, then there are no bad calls ever.

If the responsibility is always on the players and not the coaches, then let's go back to Mularkey ball and try a triple-reverse flea flicker every other play. If it doesn't work, then hey, the players just didn't execute.
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• MarvLevy
                  • Jul 2005

This is a big loss for a simple reason...the schedule is a monster. to win a game like this gives u momentum and belief. we could very well go 0-5 to start.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

to have only one play of that series run time of the clock at that point is a massive blunder. just huge. unacceptably huge

the only way the staff is partially off the hook is if they told marsh beforehand that he could not go oob and he did anyway. he shouldnt need to be told but thats what a good coach does anyway

then if it was lynchs mistake they have little choice at that point to try a pass. still its a poor choice of time imo to try to complete a 50 yarder instead of a five yarder

just too many stupid ass mistakes, including the coach. god that was frustrating. its like watching high schoolers
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

What little faith I had in Dick is now gone with his boneheaded play calls.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

i was shocked that they went for it all.it would have been awesome had it worked.
                        Originally posted by yordad
                        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Historian
                          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                          • Dec 2002

A nice bootleg and a short toss to Josh Reed would have worked well at that point.

Cutler was doing it all day.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

If the issue has nothing to do with whether or not the play was successful, why aren't the coaches also getting ripped for calling running plays on third and nine and third and eleven in Denver territory in the first half? Those plays are low percentage, also.

Why rip them only on the stupid calls that failed? Rip them on the stupid ones that succeeded. also.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                              • Sep 2003

The ONLY reason I thought the play call was reasonable was because the clock was stopped already from the previous play. Given that it wasn't, we needed (most likely) to throw anyway to get a first down.
                              "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

Working...
                              X