PDA

View Full Version : Breaking and very sad news update on Everett

patmoran2006
09-10-2007, 04:32 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=2637

Buffalo Bills medical director Dr. John Marzo and Bills' spinal consultant Dr. Andrew Cappuccino met with the Buffalo media Tuesday, and delivered the initial diagnosis that Kevin Everett suffered a potential lethal and grave injury Sunday afternoon. Dr. Cappaccino said that a full recovery is unlikely

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2007, 04:33 PM
The press conference was depressing.

BADTHINGSMAN
:sadwalk:

patmoran2006
So ****ing sad man.

hammerbillsfan
:( :pray:

capitolneal
09-10-2007, 04:36 PM
damn!!!!!!!

patmoran2006
09-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Not that Everett the football player is even worth mentioning right now; but he did have a catch in the first half and potentially tragically, he was right in perfect position on special teams. Teammates talked about it and maybe he really was ready to take that next step as a player.

I feel awful for his mother, who's arrived from Texas. I think fans around the country are going to see in the coming days/weeks/months about how much the Bils organization and its fans care about one of its own.

Michael82
09-10-2007, 04:37 PM
The press conference was depressing.
Yeah it was. They covered it on R-News in Rochester, and wow....I just felt so sad for him and his family and all his teammates. I can't imagine how they are all feeling. :( :pray:

Illmatic15
09-10-2007, 04:37 PM
:pray: :teary: Why him, only 25 years old, why the bills....

don137
09-10-2007, 04:38 PM
What do they mean by the title of the article? "Not Out Of Danger, Less In Danger"

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-10-2007, 04:38 PM
WGRZ Ch 2 Sports reporter Adam Benigini is reporting that Everett is now fighting his life.

patmoran2006
09-10-2007, 04:39 PM
I dont know.

But what some people dont understand is that paralysis often kills people. Your body can't fight off some sicknesses. Pneumonia is very common in deaths among people paralyzed.

Doe anyone remember how Derrick Thomas eventually passed away, I cant remember.. I just remember he got sick.

Bmax
09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah it was tough to watch...Very informative....I guess they did everything for the guy...WOW....Continue to pray for him and his family....

don137
ESPN is reporting on TV that he most likely will be paralyzed...sad, very sad

The Answer
WGRZ Ch 2 is reporting that Everett is now fighting his life.

This is truly horrible.

The Answer used to bash Everrett unrelentlessly for being a 'bust' but this is making The Answer very sick to his stomach.

Why did this have to happen? Why is this team punished so much?

~The Answer

M
09-10-2007, 04:48 PM
This is just horrible. :pray:

mchurchfie
09-10-2007, 04:50 PM
:pray::(

Historian
09-10-2007, 04:51 PM
WGRZ Ch 2 is reporting that Everett is now fighting his life.

Didn't any of you ever study Human Biology?

A C-3, or C-4 injury is potentially fatal. Spontaneous resperation occurs at that level. That's why he's on a ventilator.

Feel the base of your skull in back. Then feel three fingers down. That's where his injury is.

If it weren't for the immediate actions of the paramedics and the team Doctors, he may have died on the field.

Even if he gets through the immediate trauma and surgery, he still could be paralyzed ala Christoper Reeve.

And Reeve later died of pneumonia.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Just about the worst thing that could happen, I hope he can recover.

RockStar36
09-10-2007, 04:52 PM
I dont know.

But what some people dont understand is that paralysis often kills people. Your body can't fight off some sicknesses. Pneumonia is very common in deaths among people paralyzed.

Doe anyone remember how Derrick Thomas eventually passed away, I cant remember.. I just remember he got sick.

I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure it was the result of a car accident.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I dont know.

Thank you Dr. Moran :up:

patmoran2006
09-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Thats how he became paralyzed.. What illness caused him to die though? Pneumonia?

don137
09-10-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't even feel like talking football right now after that news...Imagine how the Bills players and coaches feel trying to get up to play after this news.

Ingtar33
09-10-2007, 05:00 PM
i heard last night from a friend in buffalo, that he was fighting for his life.

But none of the news reports said this.

I was hoping and preying that he was wrong.

This isn't about the Bills, this is about a young man fighting for his life.

As a community we need to come together, to help him and his loved ones through this.

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Thats how he became paralyzed.. What illness caused him to die though? Pneumonia?

On January 18, 2000, Thomas' SUV went off the road as he was on way to Kansas City International Airport, where he was going to fly to St. Louis to watch the NFC Championship game. Not wearing safety belts, Thomas and one of his two passengers were thrown from the car. That passenger was killed instantly. The second passenger who was wearing his safety belt walked away from the scene uninjured . Thomas was left paralyzed from the chest down. He died on February 8, 2000, in Miami, of a pulmonary embolism, a massive blood clot that developed in his paralyzed lower extremities and traveled through his venous system to his lungs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Thomas#Death

Romes
09-10-2007, 05:05 PM
this isn't happening to the Buffalo Bills its happening to Kevin Everret. For all the tragic things that have happened to the bills they pale in comparison to this. I apologize if i am sounding self rightous but please don't say "why the bills" if it would have happened to any other player on any other team it wouldn't make it less tragic.

Man, when he was down on the ground convulsing...you knew it was bad...you just hoped it wasn't this bad.

duhbilz
09-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I hope this is one of those cases where the doctors are completely wrong!

mybills
09-10-2007, 05:09 PM
I dont know.

Christopher Reeves.

patmoran2006
09-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Just seen Brian Moorman one of the newscast, he was crying.

FlyingDutchman
09-10-2007, 05:14 PM
This whole situation has just made me sick to my stomach. The kid has his whole life ahead of him. This has been the most tragic thing ive ever witnessed in person. Unfortunately ill remember this for the rest of my life. Im not a religious man, but I am today. I pray for Kevin.

mybills
09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
I've seen it about 4 times in sports over the years and my stomach feels the same sickness every time. It's not something you get used to. I'm old enough to be this kid's mom, and it's hitting hard. I want to hug his mom. :sadwalk:

Illmatic15
09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Hope the bills will wear a #85 patch/crest on their jerseys from now on to honour KE..

Michael82
09-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Hope the bills will wear a #85 patch/crest on their jerseys from now on to honour KE..
That would be a great idea. If they don't do that, hopefully they wear #85 on their helmets.... :up:

Samphin1
09-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Blood clots are going to be huge. I didn't see the press conference, and I think I am glad I didn't. This is just an awful turn of events. Here is hoping he beats the odds and makes a recovery to at least where his life isn't in immediate danger.

ddaryl
09-10-2007, 05:39 PM
One positive is they say he can feel pressure .... Hopefully that means if he gets past all of the other potential problems he'll walk away... that would be a wonderful thing.

shelby
09-10-2007, 05:45 PM
How very, very tragic this is.
My prayers go out to Kevin and his family, as well as his teammates.
i hope he can pull through.

This certainly makes *****ing about a lost football game irrelevant.

vinceanity
09-10-2007, 05:47 PM
As a Titan fan I send my regrets to you all and Everett is in my families prayers.

SABURZFAN
09-10-2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=2637

Buffalo Bills medical director Dr. John Marzo and Bills' spinal consultant Dr. Andrew Cappuccino met with the Buffalo media Tuesday, and delivered the initial diagnosis that Kevin Everett suffered a potential lethal and grave injury Sunday afternoon. Dr. Cappaccino said that a full recovery is unlikely

:ill:

Dude
09-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Terrible, terrible news. I had a bad feeling when he didn't move when he was down on the field that it was a serious injury, but I never imagined anything like this.

finfan34
09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
i watched kevin especially when he played for the hurricanes, and he was always a good kid, it doesnt matter which team you root for, its horrible and i hope and pray for the best

cordog
09-10-2007, 06:21 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Everyone can take this game pretty seriously sometimes, but at the end of the day, it is just that, a game. Football, right now and for awhile to come, will be an after thought. I know we can be a little critical of how much these guys are paid, but after yesterday, I don't think any of them are over paid. This team is going through hell right now. For the youngest squad in the league to lose a teammate like that, suffer all those injuries, and to lose in the last second of the game is rough. Lets see what kind of mental toughness these kids have. Good luck Kevin, we are all pulling for you.

Meathead
09-10-2007, 06:28 PM
the everett situation is certainly quite tragic and we should definitely keep him in our prayers

keep in mind that in all difficult situations there are always jewels of wisdom for the taking if we choose to look for them. from that perspective please allow me to point out an opportunity to learn something important that we can take from this situation.

whatever expression of compassion and concern we feel for someone like everett should also be granted toward every other person who suffers from a loss of some type

im always bothered by how much compassion people have for their heros but will turn around and completely ignore the suffering of some average person that crosses their path

christ would teach us that we dont just feel bad for someone in high profile when they have tragedy befall them. we should feel exactly the same way about every other of our brothers and sisters that are facing great difficulties in their lives

the physician. the butcher. the janitor. the garbage man. the tax collector

just because someone is less prominent, less ‘successful’ in the eyes of our culture has no bearing whatsoever on how worthy they are and the level of empathy we should give them. we are all gods children equally deserving of consideration of this type

the alcoholic. the hooker. the heroin addict. the criminal

yes this is very difficult to do sometimes, especially when someone isnt acting in a 'proper' manner. its very hard to separate our judgment of someones behavior from our requirement to have compassion for them regardless. even if we condemn some or all parts of their actions we are not relieved of remembering they are children of god and inherently deserving of that recognition. even in situations they have created entirely themselves there is still a loss to be mourned. we should feel this way even as we imprison or perhaps even execute them for their crimes

in that sense this isnt about them its about you and how you process such instances in your mind. this determines how spiritually healthy and mature you are

if these observations dont make sense to you then you have some work to do in this area. use the everett situation, as well as others that come up in your lives, to cultivate this type of understanding

its important and you will absolutely be rewarded for making the effort. i promise

!Papacrunk!
09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm making a one time exception to come to the Bills specific section from the NFL section after hearing about this horrible news.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Everett and his family in this very tragic ordeal. Very sad stuff, hopefully things will get better for him.

Buffatexas
09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
God Bless Kevin and his family and friends. Get well soon Kev!!

Mitchy moo
09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
I actually have been sick all day, this is so wrong on so many levels.:help!:

finfan34
09-10-2007, 06:55 PM
its one of those things that makes you think whats more important in life, and its certainly not football, the hardest part of this story was when they reported that last night he was able to talk to his mother and he said he was scared, but more scared for his family, ive lost a brother to cancer a few years ago, and that was his same feeling before he past, he was only 22. and it just brings back sad memories of that situation, sorry for going off on a tangent, but its just a horrible situation obviously nobody wants to face.

Luisito23
09-10-2007, 06:58 PM
My thoughts and many prayers still go out to him, and his loved ones. My heart pours out for them. God bless.

SABuffalo786
09-10-2007, 07:00 PM
If it weren't for the immediate actions of the paramedics and the team Doctors, he may have died on the field.

*shudder*

We were honestly thinking that in the Rockpile Sunday afternoon. Images of that Spanish Soccer player were permeating my thoughts.

It was just taking far, far too long....

God Bless you Kevin.

patmoran2006
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
They had a big story on the paramedics on Channel 7 earlier, I'll try to find the video.

Dude
09-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Don't turn this into a political thread, please.

HHURRICANE
09-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I dont know.

Blood Clot.

TigerJ
09-10-2007, 08:23 PM
While the odds are against Everett, his chances of recovery are better than zero. I'm not giving up. I think if he gets through the next few days he may be able to get past the danger point for respiratory failure. Then maybe we can talk about recovery of some mobility. I'm sure his doctors are telling the family to take it one step at a time.

Mitchy moo
09-10-2007, 08:33 PM
It's front page CNN now:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/09/10/bc.fbn.bills.everetthur.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Mitchy moo
09-10-2007, 08:34 PM
You can't even wait 36 hours before spinning a tragedy for political purposes? Take it to the Spin Zone and leave this thread for the concerned and the well-wishers.

Your right, that is a weird post.

Kadiddlehopper
09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
if it would have happened to any other player on any other team it wouldn't make it less tragic. Exactly, and here's hoping for the best for him.

raphael120
09-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Never knew that it would have escalated to this, I know it was a bad sign to see the ambulance in there but still, it never really occurs to you because you never have experienced before. I know this is the first time Ive seen something like this happen, and you really never hear about on field injuries being his serious but i see myself watching the football game tonight and just cringing everytime someone throw a big hit.

Amazing how close everyone is from something like that everytime they step out on the field.

:pray:

Philagape
09-10-2007, 08:55 PM
From now on, every time I see a hard hit, I'll be nervous until I see the guy's OK

LtBillsFan66
09-10-2007, 09:14 PM
:(

emocomputerjock
09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
I just heard the latest reports, and am deeply saddened to hear this news. I pray when I wake up tomorrow that things have changed for the better.

On another note, would anyone mind my using the bless kevin everett signature block? I don't want to add it to my sig block without permission.

im4bflo
09-10-2007, 09:25 PM
I just heard the latest reports, and am deeply saddened to hear this news. I pray when I wake up tomorrow that things have changed for the better.

On another note, would anyone mind my using the bless kevin everett signature block? I don't want to add it to my sig block without permission.

I'd like that sig also, if someone would?

TigerJ
09-10-2007, 09:30 PM
If I understand the article on BB.com, the odds for recovery given to Everett prior to surgery were less than 5-10%. Surgery was actually only an option at that point. Once the surgery took place, he was put on a respirator as insurance against a spontaneous stoppage in breathing. He is going to be sedated for a couple of days to help him to stay very still. The implication is that he is actually able to breathe on his own right now, with only the risk that he might stop if not on a respirator. It will be interesting to hear if he's taken off the respirator when he's taken off sedation. That would be a very good sign. http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news_5221.html

emocomputerjock
09-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I'd like that sig also, if someone would?

I think you're good to go, according to this:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=133963

I'm asking because I'm a Dolphins fan, from Finheaven.com, and I'm not going to add it to my sig over there without permission first.

Mad Bomber
09-10-2007, 09:32 PM
There is one way that Everett could walk again and make a full recovery that is if President Bush would approve a bill for stem cell research but he doesn't believe in destroying life. he's an S.O.B. Reeves was asking for stem cell research before he died, Jim Kelly wanted stem cell research done to cure Hunter before he died.
This has to be one of the most cold-hearted posts that I have EVER seen. I was there and watched the hit. You really need to lose your hatred and political zeal, and think about the human impact of this. If you think that Bush approving a stem cell research bill would have one iota of impact on Kevin's injury, you are truly deluded. It wouldn't.

Christopher Reeve suffered a C2 injury. Kevin had both his C3 and C4 removed. If you looked at the video of him lying on the ground after his injury, he was spasming, which is indicative of nerve injury. Do you think that if Bush had approved a bill for stem cell research that someone would have run from the sidelines and given him a Dr. McCoy-like injection that would have instantly healed him?

PLEASE don't use this to bash GWB and politicize a really tragic situation. Take it to the Spin Zone.

Better yet...grow a heart and try to learn the definiton of a term that you seem to be unaware of...

COMPASSION.

LtBillsFan66
09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Add it man. No one will mind.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-10-2007, 10:09 PM
There IS a way Everett can walk again

Dennis Byrd tackles spinal injury - former New York Jets lineman's rehabilitation from paralyzing injury - Cover Story

The story of his tragic accident and remarkable recovery.

Am I going to be paralyzed?"

That was the question New York Jets defensive lineman Dennis Byrd kept asking the people around him as he lay in an ambulance, unable to move or even feel his limbs, last November 29.

Minutes earlier, the 270-pound lineman had been barreling down the field, intent on sacking the opposing team's quarterback. But just as Byrd lunged, the QB stepped clear. And Byrd slammed instead into 275-pound teammate Scott Mersereau, who was steam-rolling in for the sack from the opposite side. In that tragic second, Byrd hit head-first, shattering a vertebra, one of the 33 bones that make up the spine.

"The hit was deafaning," recalls Byrd. "I remember the feeling of slowly falling to the ground.... I tried to take my helmet off, to unsnap the snaps with my hand, and it ... it just wouldn't work right.... At that point, I began to realize that there wasn't any feeling."

AGAINST THE ODDS

There was no feeling because when the bone burst, pieces of it flew like shrapnel into the delicate nerve tissue it normally surrounds and protects: the superhighway of communication between body and brain known as the spinal cord.

The spinal cord and the brain make up the body's central nervous system (CNS)--the place where all body functions, like tackling a quarterback, are coordinated. The brain makes most of the decisions, for example, on how to move. But the spinal cord plays a vital role in collecting the information those decisions are based on, and sending the instructions on how to act to other body parts, like muscles.

LIMITING THE DAMAGE

Football trainers and team doctors know that players literally risk their necks on the field. So they already had a plan of action in place When Byrd went down.

Part of the plan involved injections of a new drug into Byrd's bloodstream. The drug a steroid, is the first ever to be effective at limiting the damage of spinal injury. It's only been in use since 1990.

The drug works because the crippling damage of spinal injury doesn't happen all at once, explains researcher Dr. Wise Young. "It's like being punched in the eye," he says. "Initially you don't have a black eye. But over a period of a few hours, the eye puffs up and starts to hurt more."

In the spinal cord, this "secondary damage" occurs when toxic chemicals leak out of dying nerve cells, killing those that were initially unharmed. In addition, inflammation around the injury chokes off the surviving cells' blood supply.

The drug can block these secondary effects if injected within eight hours of injury, says Young.

Such preventive treatment was particularly important for Byrd because early tests showed that he did retain some sensation. That meant his injury was incomplete--some spinal nerves were still functioning. Saving those from further damage could mean the difference between life in a wheel-chair and walking.

The next step was surgery. For seven hours, doctors worked to remove bone debris from Byrd's spinal cord and shore up his backbone with metal plates. They also gave him an experimental drug that some researchers say may stimulate repair in spinal neurons.

REHAB THERAPY

Two weeks later, Byrd began rehabilitation therapy. At first, he was unable to move on his own. Therapists flexed and stretched his motionless limbs to keep the muscles there from deteriorating further from lack of use. (He'd already lost some 40 pounds.) Meanwhile he worked to strengthen his usable neck and shoulder muscles.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1590/is_n6_v50/ai_14691849

where is this drug now :question:

capulinflicker
09-10-2007, 10:41 PM
From a Denver Broncos fan to the fans of the Buffalo Bills,

I've really been paying close attention to the story on Kevin Everett, and it's one that really hit close to the heart for me. I hope that Everett can make a recovery from this terrible injury and enjoy, at the very least, a normal life with his loved ones and family. It really sucks that this has to happen to him at such a young age and at such an early point in his career. Given what happened to Darrent Williams and Damien Nash, believe me, I can understand what you and your organization is going through. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and those close to him. Good luck with the rest your season.