PDA

View Full Version : Doctor says Everett has "warrior's mentality"

Philagape
09-11-2007, 08:37 AM
“He was certainly frightened, but he was concerned about his mother and how she was going to respond to this,” said Cappuccino, who described his patient as having a “warrior’s mentality.”

“He told her that he loved her. He told her that he loved his sisters. He told her that he was going to get better and he didn’t want her to worry,” Cappuccino said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/160096.html

:candle:

Mitchy moo
09-11-2007, 08:45 AM
This just killed me:

'Do everything you can to help me"

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7210384

Saratoga Slim
09-11-2007, 08:45 AM
My prayers Kevin!

SABURZFAN
09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
:pray:

mybills
09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
“He’s like a brother,” wide receiver Roscoe Parrish said barely above a whisper.

:sadwalk:

Stoneludlow
09-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Being at the game Sunday, my mind was flashing back to the other games I watched with violent hits such as Kevin's and I just kept hoping and praying for the thumbs-up signal. It didn't happen and then I knew it was worse than I thought at first.

My prayers and thoughts go out not only to Kevin, but his family and teammates on the Bills as they prepare to move on with the rest of the season with out him.

mybills
09-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury remained life-threatening, saying the player is still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

I can't help thinking he's got a good chance of recovering. I'm seeing the latter part of this statement as only applying to the dangers of the swelling. If he's got feeling, and the swelling goes down, it sounds hopeful. Doesn't it? :idunno:

justasportsfan
09-11-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm glad Dick and Marv are here instead of Tom and Malarkey.

Stoneludlow
09-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury remained life-threatening, saying the player is still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

I can't help thinking he's got a good chance of recovering. I'm seeing the latter part of this statement as only applying to the dangers of the swelling. If he's got feeling, and the swelling goes down, it sounds hopeful. Doesn't it? :idunno:

Just as if Kevin had a stroke, he may have a full life ahead of him,but as an NFL player, it's not going to happen this season, since he's been placed on the IR list. Yet it may take months or years of therapy to recover from this injury. Only the GREAT COACH in the sky knows if Kevin will ever play again in the NFL>

mybills
09-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Just as if Kevin had a stroke, he may have a full life ahead of him,but as an NFL player, it's not going to happen this season, since he's been placed on the IR list. Yet it may take months or years of therapy to recover from this injury. Only the GREAT COACH in the sky knows if Kevin will ever play again in the NFL>
Playing again doesn't matter to me, it's the walking again that is important. :up:

Mitchy moo
09-11-2007, 09:16 AM

First things first, let's get him breathing on his own.

schubbard
09-11-2007, 09:16 AM
“Full recovery is a long shot. But the possibility of significant recovery is quite real, although we remain very concerned,” said Dr. Kevin Gibbons, the consulting neurosurgeon involved in the operation at Millard Fillmore Hospital.

Sounds more hopeful than much that has been discussed.... don't know what "significant recovery" means, but if you're starting with touch sensation and some movement, maybe he will be able to have a close to normal life... We'll just have to wait and see...

Finsfan74
09-11-2007, 09:17 AM
“He was certainly frightened, but he was concerned about his mother and how she was going to respond to this,” said Cappuccino, who described his patient as having a “warrior’s mentality.”

“He told her that he loved her. He told her that he loved his sisters. He told her that he was going to get better and he didn’t want her to worry,” Cappuccino said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/160096.html

:candle:
Seems like one mentally tough guy! The team will rally around him and step up their game

Finsfan74
09-11-2007, 09:24 AM

Spinal injuries can be tricky. I work at a VA hospital, and it's got a dedicated spinal cord unit.I think some doctors pretty much tell you the worst case scenario, because in the end if you don't get better than you can't go back and say, well you gave me false hope....

mybills
09-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Spinal injuries can be tricky. I work at a VA hospital, and it's got a dedicated spinal cord unit.I think some doctors pretty much tell you the worst case scenario, because in the end if you don't get better than you can't go back and say, well you gave me false hope....
How many miracle recoveries have you witnessed there, or do they all turn out bad?

Finsfan74
09-11-2007, 09:39 AM
How many miracle recoveries have you witnessed there, or do they all turn out bad?
Funny you should ask, I'm in the process of taking x-rays in a spinal case as we speak! To answer your question, no they don't all turn out bad, but at the same time it will take extensive physical therapy, as well as mental therapy to some degree. Recovery takes into account several different things. 1 being the doctor's and therapists you have taking care of you (I'm sure Everett will have some top notch physicians and therapists working with him). That could make an enormous difference in the recovery process. 2nd, I think your recovery also depends on the mentality of wanting to get better. Some people make it their goal to get better, and will stop at nothing less, whereas others just "accept" their condition, and don't try to get better. (From what I've heard, I think Everett will DEFINITELY do what he can to recover to the best of his ability).

Finsfan74
09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Sorry, I missed the other part....we do have guys that have been in pretty grave incidents (over in Iraq), and were given little to no chance at walking, or even survival. Now, I'm not going to sugar coat it and say they all recovered because that's unfortunately not the case, but many of them were able to recover and are walking again

Mitchy moo
09-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Sorry, I missed the other part....we do have guys that have been in pretty grave incidents (over in Iraq), and were given little to no chance at walking, or even survival. Now, I'm not going to sugar coat it and say they all recovered because that's unfortunately not the case, but many of them were able to recover and are walking again

Well that's gives Kevin at least a chance.

mybills
09-11-2007, 09:51 AM
That's wonderful to hear! :up: Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I didn't want to sound naive, but at the same time I keep thinking it's not the end for him. I'm praying for a miracle, and I think he's a strong individual who by focusing his concerns on his mom, shows his character. His telling her not to worry pretty much says he's a fighter. :up:

Philagape
09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Someone should get him a copy of "Rise & Walk: The Trial & Triumph of Dennis Byrd"

BlackMetalNinja
09-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Being at the game Sunday, my mind was flashing back to the other games I watched with violent hits such as Kevin's and I just kept hoping and praying for the thumbs-up signal. It didn't happen and then I knew it was worse than I thought at first.

My prayers and thoughts go out not only to Kevin, but his family and teammates on the Bills as they prepare to move on with the rest of the season with out him.

It was really weird for me. We were at the opposite end of the field from where it happened, so initially we had no clue what was going on. But it quickly became obvious that it was a very serious situation based on the player's reactions. I hope that's something I never have to sit through again...

Finsfan74
09-11-2007, 10:22 AM
That's wonderful to hear! :up: Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I didn't want to sound naive, but at the same time I keep thinking it's not the end for him. I'm praying for a miracle, and I think he's a strong individual who by focusing his concerns on his mom, shows his character. His telling her not to worry pretty much says he's a fighter. :up:
No problem at all....anytime

mybills
09-12-2007, 06:51 AM
I gotta trust my gut more often. I'm so happy for him & his mom & family & friends...

:jill: :bravo: :bf1: