PDA

View Full Version : I'm angry at my brother about Kevin Everett.

blackonyx89
09-11-2007, 11:14 AM
My brother says that Kevin was stupid to have tackled the guy with his head and I yold him when you're in the heat of the moment you're not thinking about technique and you try to get the guy down anyway you can. Kevin made a terrible decision and he paid the price. That could happen to anyone. My brother went on to say that because he wasn't a defensive player but a TE, he shouldn't be on special teams. THAT IS JUST STUPID LOGIC!!! How do you feel about what Kevin did? My prayers are with him.

:pray:

P.S. That's what I was trying to tell him,but he makes it sound like he didn't know what he was doing.

njsue
09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Kevin was trying to make a play for his team!

OpIv37
09-11-2007, 11:20 AM
it wasn't the smartest way to hit someone but hits like that happen all the time and rarely result in injuries, and very rarely result in life threatening injuries. In a perfect world he would have had his head up a little more, but it's not like he speared the guy or intentionally went helmet to helmet or anything like that.

These guys make it look a lot easier than it is. Lining an NFL kick returner up for a perfect form tackle is much harder than it looks on TV.

justasportsfan
09-11-2007, 11:27 AM
The Ravens vs. bengals game. Everyone was flying during punt and kick returns to lay some huge hits. I mean dang. I've never seen so much injuries in the entire NFL in the first week.

Carlton Bailey
09-11-2007, 11:30 AM
In the heat of the game, sometimes you just can't think about the proper technique. Making the play took precedent for Everett there, and that slight mental lapse cost him big, unfortunately. It's a terrible situation.

njsue
09-11-2007, 11:36 AM
it wasn't the smartest way to hit someone but hits like that happen all the time and rarely result in injuries, and very rarely result in life threatening injuries. In a perfect world he would have had his head up a little more, but it's not like he speared the guy or intentionally went helmet to helmet or anything like that.

These guys make it look a lot easier than it is. Lining an NFL kick returner up for a perfect form tackle is much harder than it looks on TV.

Do you remember Mike Utley of the Detroit Lions? I believe Dennis Byrd of the Jets.

They are survivors!

The Answer
09-11-2007, 11:38 AM
My brother says that Kevin was stupid to have tackled the guy with his head and I yold him when you're in the heat of the moment you're not thinking about technique and you try to get the guy down anyway you can. Kevin made a terrible decision and he paid the price. That could happen to anyone. My brother went on to say that because he wasn't a defensive player but a TE, he shouldn't be on special teams. THAT IS JUST STUPID LOGIC!!! How do you feel about what Kevin did. My prayers are with him.

:pray:

P.S. That's what I was trying to tell him,but he makes it sound like he didn't know what he was doing.

It was simply a freak injury - looked like any other collision when it happened.

Football is a brutal sport, and every NFL player takes their lives into their hands when the suit up and step onto the field each sunday - maybe these guys do deserve millions of dollars after all for taking such risks and putting their lives on the line.

~The Answer

blackonyx89
09-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Gene Upshaw and Goodell should absolutely pay Everett whatever amount of money to take care of him for the rest of his life. No question about that!!!! And that goes for the rest of the former players who are ailing from NFL injuries.

ajsdx
09-11-2007, 11:50 AM
It was simply a freak injury - looked like any other collision when it happened.

Football is a brutal sport, and every NFL player takes their lives into their hands when the suit up and step onto the field each sunday - maybe these guys do deserve millions of dollars after all for taking such risks and putting their lives on the line.

~The Answer

Let's not get crazy here. They "deserve" the money they make because of the economics of the game and our capitalist society. Plenty of other people have harder and/or more dangerous jobs.

PECKERWOOD
09-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Ask your brother this: Do you think if Kevin Everett knew that his spine would be broken in half, he still would have tackled with his head?

The guy broke his spine playing for the team that I love and he made the ultimate sacrifice. KE doesn't deserve to be criticized, he deserves to be praised and commended for his bravery and pain on the field. I'm just wondering about how his family is going to get by. I know football players get paid ALOT more than you or I but the couple million that KE made isn't going to last him a life time. I'm worried about the quality of his life AFTER the game and his families quality of life. All the things that we take for granted, he is no longer going to be able to do. Like to walk on your own two feet, going to the bathroom on your own and taking a shower on your own. A once prominent physical specimen is now going to need HELP in order to do these things.. It's so sad. What also breaks my heart is how he was more concerned about his mother instead of himself in the midst of a catastrophic spine injury. What a class act. It really shows you a softer side to these sports superstars and it really puts things in perspective for me. This guy has feelings and emotions just like you and me. I hope the NFL takes GOOD care of this guy for the remainder of his life.

Meathead
09-11-2007, 11:55 AM
its quite possible something unusual happened that contributed to the severity of the injury, for example catching his toe in the turf a split second before the hit which would have catapulted him with much more force than he intended. regardless its just a freak accident that coulda happened to any player out there

and yes aj, everett is no more deserving of having him and his family taken care of after this tragedy than a garbage collector

blackonyx89
09-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Ask your brother this: Do you think if Kevin Everett knew that his spine would be broken in half, he still would have tackled with his head?

The guy broke his spine playing for the team that I love and he made the ultimate sacrifice. KE doesn't deserve to be criticized, he deserves to be praised and commended for his bravery and pain on the field. I'm just wondering about how his family is going to get by. I know football players get paid ALOT more than you or I but the couple million that KE made isn't going to last him a life time. I'm worried about the quality of his life AFTER the game and his families quality of life. All the things that we take for granted, he is no longer going to be able to do. Like to walk on your own two feet, going to the bathroom on your own and taking a shower on your own. A once prominent physical specimen is now going to need HELP in order to do these things.. It's so sad. What also breaks my heart is how he was more concerned about his mother instead of himself in the midst of a catastrophic spine injury. What a class act. It really shows you a softer side to these sports superstars and it really puts things in perspective for me. This guy has feelings and emotions just like you and me. I hope the NFL takes GOOD care of this guy for the remainder of his life.

Amen to that!!! Ralph Wilson open up that checkbook!!!!