PDA

View Full Version : NHL 08

hammerbillsfan
09-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Anyone else going to pick this game up? It's out today.

I'll tell you all how it is later. :hockey:

mchurchfie
09-11-2007, 11:38 AM
:up:

The King
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I will be getting 2K8

BlackMetalNinja
09-11-2007, 11:50 AM
I just called GameStop on my lunch break, it ships today, they won't have it till tomorrow... So I guess I gotta wait, but I'm definitely getting it. The inclusion of the AHL should be badass!

Iehoshua
09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm gonna read the reviews for both 2k8 and 08 before deciding...

RockStar36
09-11-2007, 01:10 PM
I'd say in the past 2 years or so EA has been much better than 2k. I doubt I'll even give 2k a chance this year.

And if they have AHL teams I'd definitely sold. The only thing better would be the other minor league teams but I realize that would be near impossible to do.

Iehoshua
09-11-2007, 01:17 PM
I ended up owning both last year, 07 for 360 then 2K7 for PS3 (mainly cuz I needed something for PS3 and the Sabres jerseys were updated in that version) but can't recall a huge difference in one being better than the other. They definitely played differently but neither stood apart from the other. Then again it was my first experience with hockey games in years...

Could be different this year, however...

The King
09-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd say in the past 2 years or so EA has been much better than 2k. I doubt I'll even give 2k a chance this year.

I disagree 100%

RockStar36
09-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I disagree 100%

I've tried both for regular X-Box and prefer EA. I liked the way 2k looked but the gameplay seemed slower and it was much harder to score. Also, I didn't like the layout of the franchise mode or whatever it is called.

I played EA alot last year on 360 and I really liked it.

The King
09-11-2007, 01:31 PM
2k7 was the only hockey game I considered worth playing since 95

RockStar36
09-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Everyone has a different opinion. The last two years I've liked EA better and I've given both a fair shot.

hammerbillsfan
09-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Well I would love to give you a review today but nobody has the ****ing game yet! :fit:
I went to 4 stores and no one has got their shipments yet.
****ing Best Buy told me they ain't getting their shipment til tomorrow or the next day. :wtf:
If you say a game is coming out on the 11th, I'd expect it on that day.
Especially a game like NHL 08 in Canada where we love our hockey.
I bet they didn't have these problems when Madden 08 came out.

:blowup:

BlackMetalNinja
09-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Well I would love to give you a review today but nobody has the ****ing game yet! :fit:
****ing Best Buy told me they ain't getting their shipment til tomorrow or the next day. :wtf:

Should have read my post before you went out to get it... Sometimes the date listed is a shipping date (like this), sometimes it's the actual release date. I generally call and ask ahead of time to avoid crap like what you went through.

And I'm not even messing with 2k8... I only played the demo of NHL last year (which was only a shootout, not much to base an opinion on), but the full game of 2k7, and I couldn't stand 2k. I felt like I had almost no control over the players and I wasn't the least bit blown away by graphics.

I've played the demo for NHL 08, which is the full 3rd period of a game and it was graphically awesome and the control was pretty tight. I'll definitely have to get used to the layout of controls, but that's always the case with me for new games since I'm still in the first year of my 360 and was all Playstation before. I'll probably just have my wife buy the game for me in the morning when she goes to work since she works in a mall and then I'll pick it up from her when I get done since she works late tomorrow.

hammerbillsfan
09-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Ok, I called around and finally got my hands on a game at EB.
Apparently everyone's shipments are ****ed up.
Going to try it out now! :hockey:

BlackMetalNinja
09-11-2007, 02:56 PM

Dammit, now you're making me want to get on the horn and check around!

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I won't be getting it tomorrow but I will definitely be getting it.

BlackMetalNinja
09-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I called like 4 more places when leaving work, all said tomorrow... guess I'm waiting.

DraftBoy
09-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Wal-Mart almost always has it on time

83evans
09-11-2007, 06:25 PM
I will to. Now that we know 2k sucks more balls than Paris Hilton, 08 is the way to go.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-11-2007, 08:06 PM

there's still Electronics Boutique around:question: I thought they all changed to gamestop stores at least they did here in Buffalo.

BlackMetalNinja
09-11-2007, 08:09 PM
there's still Electronics Boutique around:question: I thought they all changed to gamestop stores at least they did here in Buffalo.

Most of the EB Games have converted to GameStop... they were owned by the same company at any rate...

And I did call 2 WalMarts, they both told me it'd be in tomorrow as well.

hammerbillsfan
09-11-2007, 08:18 PM
There is a ton of EB Games around here.

JD
09-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Damn it Hammer how is it? The suspense is killlinggggg meeeeee!

Best NHL game of all time is NHL 2001 for the PC hands down!
Obviously the graphics werent great, but the AI was spectacular. Very realistic play. The fighting was intense. There was blood etc. Then EA went down hill on its AI until recently.

For a while 2k has dominated the AI aspect of the game, lacking on attractive graphics. As to where EA has phenomenol(sp?) graphics, but poor AI to where the computer is constantly coming back to win a game out of NO WHERE. You must know what Im talking about, say you're on the PRO level. You're up by 2, then some how you just cant check them, you cant hook them to take the puck. Its like set in the game to where they WILL score and you cant stop it lol. But now it seems EA will dominate this year both on graphics AND AI which I am really pleased to see :up:

Philagape
09-11-2007, 10:04 PM
I have a PC, so I have no choice but EA, so I really hope they improve on 07.

The goaltending in 07 was an absolute joke. So many soft goals from the blue line ... I had to shorten games to keep scores in single digits. It ruins the game to know that nothing I do can affect the outcome because goals just go in from anywhere. Plus there was ridiculously dumb AI, like having 3-4 players chase a puck carrier into the corner, leaving a 2-on-0 in the slot. And if a computer player has the puck in your slot? Forget it, he's Superman impervious to everything.
It better be better.

SkateZilla
09-11-2007, 10:06 PM
2K8 FTW

hammerbillsfan
09-11-2007, 10:45 PM
I have to play it a little more.

First impressions, it's tough. Got my ass kicked on Pro, mind you I haven't play a hockey game in a while.
Once I get use to the controls again I'm sure I'll be better.

Graphics are ok, I was hoping for a little bit more.
But it sounds great!

Iehoshua
09-12-2007, 12:22 AM
IGN gave '08 an 8.9 on 360, and 8.6 on PS3

They gave 2K8 an 8.5 on 360, no PS3 review as yet...

1UP gave '08 a 9.5 on 360 and PS3

They slaughtered 2K8 on 360, giving it a 4.0 :shocked:

BlackMetalNinja
09-12-2007, 06:54 AM
IGN gave '08 an 8.9 on 360, and 8.6 on PS3

They gave 2K8 an 8.5 on 360, no PS3 review as yet...

1UP gave '08 a 9.5 on 360 and PS3

They slaughtered 2K8 on 360, giving it a 4.0 :shocked:

Ugh... must survive work until 4pm then begin my hunt to procure the game! My whole evening is going to be spent playing the crap out of it though.

DraftBoy
09-12-2007, 07:01 AM
I want reports filed by the end of the night damnit!

SkateZilla
09-12-2007, 07:26 AM
I miss "Babbages"... lol...

SabreEleven
09-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Why this game isn't on the Wii is beyond me. It would work pretty good on it, if you ask me.

BlackMetalNinja
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Full IGN review... I'm even more pumped to get out of here and get this game after reading this!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819016p1.html

RockStar36
09-12-2007, 12:00 PM
I'll pick it up eventually. Once the great day arrives that I become a 360 owner. If it's anything like 07 I'll love it. The only complaint I had with 07 is that the Sabres weren't wearing the greatest logo/uniforms if professional sports history.

BlackMetalNinja
09-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I'll pick it up eventually. Once the great day arrives that I become a 360 owner. If it's anything like 07 I'll love it. The only complaint I had with 07 is that the Sabres weren't wearing the greatest logo/uniforms if professional sports history.

That's the whole reason I waited until this year to get it! I GOTTA have those unis!

JD
09-12-2007, 02:40 PM
AWW what the ****. Where are the reviews for the PC god damn it! My PC has a better processor and graphics cards than both your pussy 360 and PS3

BYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

BlackMetalNinja
09-12-2007, 02:47 PM
AWW what the ****. Where are the reviews for the PC god damn it! My PC has a better processor and graphics cards than both your pussy 360 and PS3

BYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Yeah, turn a thread about this game into a flame war about consoles vs. PCs... awesome. Your PC will be elite for about the next 5 minutes by the way.

BlackMetalNinja
09-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Sweet, I just picked up my copy, and the wife doesn't get home from work till 8pm! Lots of time to play now.

DraftBoy
09-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Its been two hours not one ***** check in report, poor job, your fired!

BlackMetalNinja
09-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Damn dude, settle down... I got 2 games in so far!

It's very nice thus far... graphics are quite good, especially during replays and cut scenes and such. Audio is outstanding, commentary flows very well and sounds more like a real game with less repetition so far... though it's only been 2 games.

Biggest noticeable thing is that the AI is way better than in the past. The CPU teams actually behave like a hockey team and execute strategy and what not, and they adjust to fit the situation as well.

I'm having some trouble getting used to the skill stick a little bit, but I think once I figure it out, it'll be great, really allows for a ton of control. AHL teams are definitely there and include real players, Mancari, Kaleta (oh god, don't tell LosmanWins!), and others.

I'll hopefully get a chance to get into franchise mode tonight and give a better report on the game as a whole! :up:

PcA125
09-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Why this game isn't on the Wii is beyond me. It would work pretty good on it, if you ask me.

Hockey on the wii would be badass.

JD
09-12-2007, 10:12 PM
It's only a matter of time before they have a console that uses actual gameplay FOOTAGE and somehow they make so we control them. How sweet would that be :)

oh, and I wasnt trying to start a "flame war" with computers. and one more thing.. my uncle works for intel, and i am a beta tester for new-age processors. he also hooks me up with graphics cards as well. i wont be falling behind anytime soon :up:

BlackMetalNinja
09-13-2007, 08:31 AM
So I started my franchise last night... 1-1-0-1 so far. I split the home and home with the Islanders to start with. Dominated the first game, was ahead in the 2nd until Satan scored a gorgeous breakaway goal on me to tie it late and then scored another on a slapshot from the slot to win it near the end.

3rd game against Atlanta I was up but Hossa scored his 2nd on me with a minute to go to tie it and I ended up losing in a shootout.

One major complaint so far is the graphic presentation... it's very minimal, doesn't really look like a sports broadcast at all in my opinion as far as stat and score overlays and such.

This is the first hockey game I've owned on the current gen consoles, so it's hard for me to compare, other than the week I spent with 2k7... this game blows that way out of the water. I feel like I have a ton more control over what's going on and it looks and sounds better too. Easily the best hockey game I've played. My wife came home last night and didn't notice the controller in my head and said "Wow, it's hockey season already?" because she thought I was watching a game.

The skill stick is probably really badass once you get a good understanding of how to use it. I'm already getting better and had my first real pretty "highlight reel" goal last night with Stafford. I was breaking in 1 on 1 down the right side, slid the puck to the left, went around my guy, picked it up and fired a backhand 5-hole.

The goalies are really good too... they make some wicked saves that I've never seen before in an NHL game. Great glove saves, sweet kick saves when sliding post to post. I even had Miller stop a shot, but it slid 5 hold and he reached behind himself and grabbed the puck while on his knees. Butterfly goalies look picture perfect in the way they go down to stop shots and what not.

I haven't played any of my AHL games yet, hopefully I'll get to that tonight, but I can't imagine somebody playing the entire AHL and NHL schedule at the same time, it'd take forever to get through a season.

The AI for the opposing team really is so much better than I've ever seen, they are very good at playing passing lanes and you can't just fling passes from one side of the ice to the other with ease. One Timers are no where near as easy as they always used to be either... they still work, you just have to be very good to make them work. Also screen shots are a good way of scoring and getting scored on, they look picture perfect with the deflections in front of the net.

It's really just all around tougher to get off good shots, the defense plays smart. You have to be able to cycle the puck and find an open man or try and get off a screened shot from the point to have a good chance.

Also, rebounds are kind of rare and when you do get them, it seems like you usually just stuff them right back into the goalie instead of having much chance of scoring on them. I'm not sure if that's either my lack of experience with the game or just a general bug with it.

Anyways, that's my up to date rambling after my first day with the game... I'd definitely recommend it to anybody that loves NHL games, I've never played a better one. It's much closer to simulation than any of the EA games I've played in the past.

Iehoshua
09-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Based on BMN's review as well as the ones I've read from the gaming sites, looks like '08 is far superior to 2K8...

Gamespot gave 2K8 a 7.0... They haven't reviewed '08 yet.

BlackMetalNinja
09-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Based on BMN's review as well as the ones I've read from the gaming sites, looks like '08 is far superior to 2K8...

Gamespot gave 2K8 a 7.0... They haven't reviewed '08 yet.

Did you read the one I posted from IGN... looks like they definitely gave the nod to 08 over 2k8 as well.

Ask Bedard for a review of 2k8, i saw he was onling playing it last night.

Iehoshua
09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Yes, every site reviewing has given '08 better ratings than 2K8.

Still shocked that 1UP gave 2K8 a 4.0...

The only proponent to 2K8 it seems is Bedard at this point.

BlackMetalNinja
09-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes, every site reviewing has given '08 better ratings than 2K8.

Still shocked that 1UP gave 2K8 a 4.0...

The only proponent to 2K8 it seems is Bedard at this point.

Skatezilla will be too, and he won't even have to play it first. He was going on and on about how great 2k7 was last year.

JD
09-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Yeah, lol.. skatezilla is still foaming at the mouth about 2k7 to even try out 2k8 I bet haha

Iehoshua
09-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Well as previously stated, last year I ended up owning both at one point ('07 then 2K7) but didn't find one to be outstandingly better than the other, so I'm not a 2K homer or EA homer by any means. I prefer to get the best quality games on whichever system has the best version... So far as a general statement, 360 versions of games have been better than the PS3 counterparts due to higher framerates and smoother running, which is kind of odd since PS3 has a superior format and would think the hardware would be better since it came out a year later...

pyrrhonist
09-13-2007, 06:55 PM
This is the first year that I need to rent both hockey games first to decide what to buy. I have to admit, that EA is finally serious again about hockey, after putting the same crap out year after year (until NHL '07). If they tightened up the game a bit from last year as they were supposed to have, and if the defense is as great as it needs to be (it was not that good last year), then we may have an EA return finally.

I have to admit, even as a staunch 2K Hockey supporter since the Dreamcast's original NHL2K, the 2K game just hasn't seemed fresh or worth the extra $10 a next-gen game warrants...and I don't just mean graphics, which aren't everything. It just seems that 2K has rested on its laurels for a few years. One thing I'm not getting in the hateful reviews of 2K8, though, is how people can be so down on having to learn new controls for 2K8, but it was ok for NHL '07? Am I missing something?

That being said, I await Lackluster Video getting both games in finally for rent tomorrow, so I can rent them both. :up:

PUCKER
09-13-2007, 10:52 PM

I pre-ordered the game awhile back. They had told me it would be available by the 11th. Then when I saw in the sale ads it said the 12th,I called and said it would arrive the 11th but be available the 12th. So when I left work yesterday,I called to make sure it was there and picked it up. I absolutely LOVE it! :10:

JD
09-14-2007, 03:38 PM
So is the PC version out?? I havnt seen any reviews on the PC version...

SkateZilla
09-15-2007, 12:49 AM
Yeah, lol.. skatezilla is still foaming at the mouth about 2k7 to even try out 2k8 I bet haha

I had My Press Copy Of 2K8 about 2 weeks ago :p

Iehoshua
09-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Bought it, played a few games today...

I'm not good enough to beat the Sens yet...

Put a hurting on the Lightning though...

Liking it so far!

BlackMetalNinja
09-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Bought it, played a few games today...

I'm not good enough to beat the Sens yet...

Put a hurting on the Lightning though...

Liking it so far!

Every game has been competitive with me basically.

I'm 4-4-0-3 on my season. Haven't won by more than 2-3 goals, and most of the games have been OT or Shootout. I'm getting better with the skill stick all the time though. I won my last game late in OT when I broke in with Max and put on a nasty deke and scored back hand!

THATHURMANATOR
09-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Ok so I wanted to play a bunch of games before I made my final review.

I am probably one of the most picky reviewers of NHL games ever. I havent REALLY liked a game since faceof 01 for PS1. NHL08 may be the best game I have ever played! It is phenominal. 07 was almost there and in 08 they have perfectly tweaked it into what I would call almost perfect!

THATHURMANATOR
I am schooling dudes online!

THATHURMANATOR
Well not quite schooling but beating!

mchurchfie
09-16-2007, 10:53 AM
I am schooling dudes online!:hi5:

hammerbillsfan
09-17-2007, 11:28 PM
lol

<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxhck-jhxjo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxhck-jhxjo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

CuseJetsFan83
09-17-2007, 11:33 PM
So is the PC version out?? I havnt seen any reviews on the PC version...

the pc version is great, my only problem is with the game controller settings you have to re-do them each time you start up the game, same as camera

other than that, much smoother

JD
09-17-2007, 11:53 PM
So I guess I have to buy computer controllers with sticks for the hit stick eh? Ughhhh.

JD
09-17-2007, 11:55 PM
lol

<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxhck-jhxjo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxhck-jhxjo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>
lmfao that looks like me, i would always exploit whenever i could if i was behind hahaha