PDA

View Full Version : Courage doesn't guarantee victory....

Mad Max
09-11-2007, 03:14 PM
...but cowardice almost always guarantees defeat.

Just before the game winning drive by the Niners last night, the Cardinals had the ball and played it safe, ie totally predictable play calling which was of course resulted in a stalled drive and gave the ball to the Niners.

I KNEW without a shadow of a doubt that the Cardinals just lost the game (even though they had a five point lead). Losing teams constantly do this type of thing to themselves. They play it safe , the play not to lose, they don't take a chance on a player in the draft or via FA...and of course they continue to lose, over and over, and over again.

What do winners have in common? They take chances, on playcalling, on players, on strategy. And they go for the throat when they have the lead. As much as I hate the Patriots and Belichek they are the perfect example of this. Harrison, Seau, Moss, Gostkowski, BRADY..all risky moves..some more than others. How'd they turn out? What does Belichek do with the lead...does he sit on it? Or does he stomp his opponent to oblivion?

What do losing organizations do? They take Mike Williams the high character guy over a "bad-seed" (read excellent player) like Bryant Mckinnie, they pass on a DT that would solidify their porous DL (Tank) because he got caught commiting a crime that almost all young people have commited at least once in their lives, they hire a coach because of his organizational skills (Manboobs) over other more qualified but possibly riskier options.

I wonder if the Bills under Ralph will ever realize this simple truth?

justasportsfan
09-11-2007, 03:16 PM
...but cowardice almost always guarantees defeat.

Just before the game winning drive by the Niners last night, the Cardinals had the ball and played it safe, ie totally predictable play calling which was of course resulted in a stalled drive and gave the ball to the Niners.

I KNEW without a shadow of a doubt that the Cardinals just lost the game (even though they had a five point lead). Losing teams constantly do this type of thing to themselves. They play it safe , the play not to lose, they don't take a chance on a player in the draft or via FA...and of course they continue to lose, over and over, and over again.

What do winners have in common? They take chances, on playcalling, on players, on strategy. And they go for the throat when they have the lead. As much as I hate the Patriots and Belichek they are the perfect example of this. Harrison, Seau, Moss, Gostkowski, BRADY..all risky moves..some more than others. How'd they turn out? What does Belichek do with the lead...does he sit on it? Or does he stomp his opponent to oblivion?

What do losing organizations do? They take Mike Williams the high character guy over a "bad-seed" (read excellent player) like Bryant Mckinnie, they pass on a DT that would solidify their porous DL (Tank) because he got caught commiting a crime that almost all young people have commited at least once in their lives, they hire a coach because of his organizational skills (Manboobs) over other more qualified but possibly riskier options.

I wonder if the Bills under Ralph will ever realize this simple truth? If we played it safe on 3rd a 5 we'd get the same reaction.

AndreReed83
09-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Mike, Mike, & Mike questioned the run on the 3rd and 5 for the Cards, but frankly, up to that point, Edge James was more likely to get those five yards than Leinart and his wideouts were. Leinart looked flustered all game and Fitzgerald/Boldin seemingly trotted around the field.