PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Wilson is owed an apology.

HHURRICANE
09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Sometimes we become so myopic on things that we think are so important that we lose sight of the big picture.

Kevin Everett is making what many will refer to as one of the greatest medical miracles known to man. The use of special drugs and procedures to lower his body temperature and swelling will most likely give him an outcome that wasn't possible even a year ago.

This new technology was funded with the help of their biggest donor down in Miami, Ralph Wilson.

Maybe our owner isn't Jerry Jones but right now I'm pretty impressed with the guy that owns our team.

Money well spent.

RedEyE
09-11-2007, 07:55 PM
:bf1:

Perhaps.

Mitchy moo
09-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I personally am very happy the Kevin situation has taken a good turn and think the credit needs to go the special medical staff and RW.:cheers:

LtBillsFan66
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
My bad, Ralph.

YardRat
09-11-2007, 08:24 PM
:beers:

PECKERWOOD
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Great post Huricane, one of your best yet.

DANMAN
09-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Ralph is reeping in some good karma!

Way to go RW

Good post!

Dr. Lecter
09-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Bump for PatMoran.

OpIv37
09-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Sometimes we become so myopic on things that we think are so important that we lose sight of the big picture.

Kevin Everett is making what many will refer to as one of the greatest medical miracles known to man. The use of special drugs and procedures to lower his body temperature and swelling will most likely give him an outcome that wasn't possible even a year ago.

This new technology was funded with the help of their biggest donor down in Miami, Ralph Wilson.

Maybe our owner isn't Jerry Jones but right now I'm pretty impressed with the guy that owns our team.

Money well spent.

Ralph deserves to be commended for his altruism and his selflessness on this issue. However, I don't see why he's owed an apology. Being a good person does not make up for the mistakes he's made as an owner.

Jimmy Carter is a great humanitarian but he was still a terrible president and no one owes him an apology for saying so.

Wraith
09-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Ralph deserves to be commended for his altruism and his selflessness on this issue. However, I don't see why he's owed an apology. Being a good person does not make up for the mistakes he's made as an owner.

Jimmy Carter is a great humanitarian but he was still a terrible president and no one owes him an apology for saying so.

I believe the thread author is referring to those who called Wilson "cheap." Does anyone still feel that way?

OpIv37
09-12-2007, 10:48 AM
I believe the thread author is referring to those who called Wilson "cheap." Does anyone still feel that way?

yeah, it's tough to make a case that someone who donated $2 million to a charity is cheap.

HHURRICANE
09-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Exactly. Believe me, I hate "cash to cap" but it's nice to see that he is giving back and not completely lining his pockets.

If a player's life is spared in some small way by Ralph's philanthropy than it's alot easier not to get worked up over some of this "cheapness" that I've hung Ralph on.

Earthquake Enyart
09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
If he'd have donated 3 or 4 million, there might be a cure by now.

Cheap ass.

Fletch
09-12-2007, 12:25 PM

Money well spent.

How was it funded? As an investment in a company where he stands to make money on the deal? Or is this something that he did out of the goodness of his heart in contributing to the NFL's medical technologies or something like that?

I suppose that if your goal is having a team with a humanitarian owner, then this is great news. Everyone in the world wants to see Everett recover from this. But spinning Everett's maladies into thread against which no one can argue doesn't really seem like an honest attempt to defend an owner that really has let his entire fan base down.

mybills
09-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Ralph deserves to be commended for his altruism and his selflessness on this issue. However, I don't see why he's owed an apology.
HURRICANE can apologize if he wants to. He didn't say YOU owe him one. :respect:

ddaryl
09-12-2007, 01:59 PM
But spinning Everett's maladies into thread against which no one can argue doesn't really seem like an honest attempt to defend an owner that really has let his entire fan base down.

Let the fan base down ??????????????????????????????????????

The Buffalo Bills would be the Los Angeles Bills or some other team if it wasn't for Ralph. Ralph could easily be making a heluva a lot more money if he moved this team to 20 different location, yet he has stayed in Buffalo.

When was the last time Ralph demanded a new stadium... he never has, he has asked for an investment into improvements of the existing stadium. Which IMO was necessary and Ralph was right to do, but he has never seriously threatened to move this team.

The city of Buffalo even named the Stadium after him in his honor because he has willingly worked with local gov't to keep the team in Buffalo and has never threatened to just pack it up if his demands weren't met.

I'm disgusted with people who call Ralph cheap. He could easily be making much more money in another city.

Luisito23
09-12-2007, 02:06 PM
:goodpost: :beers:......

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

capitolneal
09-12-2007, 02:21 PM
They have had this technology for 10 yrs now I want to say this is the fastest it has been used. The Buffalo Bills have some of the Finest physcians on staff and the Dr. used this tech in a matter of MInutes this is Huge for anyone with paralysis everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Ralph is a part of that says much more about him and the doctors than say Cash to Cap

justasportsfan
09-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Let the fan base down ??????????????????????????????????????

The Buffalo Bills would be the Los Angeles Bills or some other team if it wasn't for Ralph. Ralph could easily be making a heluva a lot more money if he moved this team to 20 different location, yet he has stayed in Buffalo.

When was the last time Ralph demanded a new stadium... he never has, he has asked for an investment into improvements of the existing stadium. Which IMO was necessary and Ralph was right to do, but he has never seriously threatened to move this team.

The city of Buffalo even named the Stadium after him in his honor because he has willingly worked with local gov't to keep the team in Buffalo and has never threatened to just pack it up if his demands weren't met.

I'm disgusted with people who call Ralph cheap. He could easily be making much more money in another city.

Ralph isn't the sharpest knife when it comes to football decisions. If he let the team down, the LA Bills would've been in it's 5th ?? season by now.

Historian
09-12-2007, 02:49 PM
He's done a lot more than give two mill.

Here...read about it:
http://www.rwmrf.org/about.html

Earthquake Enyart
09-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Mary doesn't look too bad for an old broad.

http://www.rwmrf.org/images/news_pubs/risks_picture.jpg

G. Host
09-12-2007, 05:51 PM
yeah, it's tough to make a case that someone who donated $2 million to a charity is cheap.

Ralph Wilson has donated large sums to multiple charities. Probably gives a higher percentage than many on the Zone even not counting the millions he throws to undeserving players who make millions before they play in NFL.

gr8slayer
09-12-2007, 05:55 PM
As a person......... Yay Ralph, that's a great thing to do for your fellow human.

As an owner........... Go **** yourself Ralph

SABURZFAN
09-12-2007, 06:01 PM

i agree.

SABURZFAN
09-12-2007, 06:02 PM

yes.his donation is a writeoff at the end of the year.

SABURZFAN
09-12-2007, 06:03 PM

see post above.

El Guapo
09-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Cheap? Define cheap. I am not saying RW is not generous to charities, but his goals for this team are not shared by us, and don't think they are.

If all the fans in Buffalo and elsewhere do not believe football operation decisions are being made with ESTATE PLANNING in mind, you are fooling yourselves. RW has made it clear the team will be sold upon his death and not before. I have plotted out the reasons why earlier this year, and it has to do with tax consequences. Look up the thread. His family would lose hundreds of millions of dollars if this team is sold before his death.

Further, a non-cash strapped team will hold more value for an owner willing to mortgage the future immediately upon purchasing the team. Hence, the cash-to-cap philosophy. RW is setting this team up for the best selling price he can get. Can you blame him?

This team is worth more as a bottom rung team with no financial woes than that of a middle ground team with cap problems. If it were a championship team, like say NE or Indy, the price goes up, but then you are gambling millions and millions of dollars on getting to that level.

Estate planning -- it's what's for dinner. And, until RW passes, you'd better learn to live with it.

El Guapo
09-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I really wish someone in the Buffalo media, with the resources, would cover this angle. It's there, and it is what is holding this team back.

PECKERWOOD
09-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Mary doesn't look too bad for an old broad.

http://www.rwmrf.org/images/news_pubs/risks_picture.jpg

:hump:

Nighthawk
09-12-2007, 08:27 PM

Money well spent.

I agree with you 100% regarding his donations and support for a GREAT cause. However, this has nothing to do with him as an NFL owner and shouldn't even be brought into the same conversation.

patmoran2006
09-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I dont feel like I owe Ralph Wilson any apologies.

1- As a person, I've always admired him. He kept this team here for YEARS when he could've moved. He's always cared, at least for the most part, about the WNY community and his generosity to charities has never come into question (as least as far as I'm concerned)

2- My problem with him is as a football owner since he fired Polian, I've blasted him repeatedly over the past few years and I absolutely don't apologize for that. I think he's taken the horribly cheap way out of many things. And as much as I love Marv Levy, if football was "show business" that would be considered a 100% publicity stunt (his hire as GM) He's continously hired bad GMs who in turn hire bad head coaches who in turn hire bad assistants and it's trickled down onto the playing field; resulting in this merry go round of mediocrity we've been going through for nearly a decade.

Being cheap with the front office IMO is the biggest reason why the Bills are where they are. Our head coaches and GM's are near the bottom of the pay scale and as anyone with a set of eyes can see; it's translated into bad personnel decisions and many L's in the loss column.

That starts at the VERY TOP-- and because of that I owe him no apology.

Dr. Lecter
09-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Except TD was near the top in pay scale. So the cheap FO does not wash.

And yes, Jauron is down there. Because he has only been here two years and is still on his first contract.

PECKERWOOD
09-12-2007, 09:20 PM
70 mil on an OL ain't cheap.