PDA

View Full Version : Can someone PLEASE explain the logic...

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-12-2007, 11:25 AM
How, given the Bills current injury issues, is it even within the realm of possibility that this team will go into this week's game with 5 Running backs, and (for all intents and purposes including Neufeld) 4 tight ends on the roster???

I kind of agree with not putting some of our injured guys on IR yet...Webster might be able to play in a cast, and Wire might be back within a few weeks, etc...
but there is fat that can be trimmed from this roster, and it needs to be done asap!

Mitchy moo
09-12-2007, 11:26 AM
ST.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
ST.

If we had not been decimated by injuries, that would be a valid point.

Given the issues at hand, it's no longer a valid point.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-13-2007, 08:12 AM
anybody?

SABURZFAN
09-13-2007, 08:34 AM
:idunno:

Coach Sal
09-13-2007, 09:36 AM
If we had not been decimated by injuries, that would be a valid point.

Given the issues at hand, it's no longer a valid point.

Actually, I think it's more of a valid point now with the injuries.

This team cannot afford to lose any more starters, so the more starters that have to play STs means that much more chance for them to get hurt.

The only area I could see being questionable is Tight End. Royal, Murphy, and Gaines are listed, and Neufeld (as you pointed out) can also play the spot.

But as far as RB, I understand the thinking:

Marshawn Lynch is the starter.

Anthony Thomas needs to be the backup right now because he's really the only one with any experience at the position......and he's not that bad as a backup, either.

If they were going to get rid of Josh Scobey, training camp was the time to do it. But he cost over half a mil for the year and they're not going to eat that money. And with the injuries they now have, his ST work is more important. (obviously the bone-head play he made last week doesn't help that cause).

Most likely, OBD believes either Fred Jackson or Dwayne Wright will be the #2 for this team next year, and A-Train will be gone. Both are young with tremendous upsides and can contribute on STs right now, as well. I think they're afraid to make a mistake on getting rid of either of them......because the organization believes they can both be a part of this tem long-term.

That's what I think OBD is thinking on all of this.

Earthquake Enyart
09-13-2007, 09:38 AM
5 RB's isn't all that bad since we don't have a FB.

4 TE's is silly.

I think we only carry 8 OL. That's kinda scary.

raphael120
09-13-2007, 09:42 AM
ST.

yeah, scobey had the best ST play of the game. run into a guy who signaled fair catch 5 seconds before he goes barrelling in

raphael120
09-13-2007, 09:43 AM
5 RB's isn't all that bad since we don't have a FB.

4 TE's is silly.

I think we only carry 8 OL. That's kinda scary.

Thing is though, how long are we going to be satisfied with top ST play while settling with bottom of the barrel D and Offense play?

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 09:45 AM
How many corners do we have now? 4? That's outright frightening to me.

But yeah, having 4 TEs and 5 RBs is necessary.

Dump Scobey, seeing he sucked and his only purpose is ST and bring in a wam body to play corner. If we have 1 injury at corner, we're screwed. I'm sure said warm body can contribute on ST and run into punt returners before they catch the ball too.

madness
09-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Move A-Train to H-back and have Wright spell Lynch.

madness
09-13-2007, 09:53 AM
yeah, scobey had the best ST play of the game. run into a guy who signaled fair catch 5 seconds before he goes barrelling in

He'll probably have 20 great plays throughout the season but let's cut him on the first bad play. :rolleyes:

The guy has been a ST demon his whole career.

bigbub2352
09-13-2007, 10:24 AM
I have written this a few times in other threads, that is the differance between us and other teams in the league, our ST is awesome, but our offense and defense is pathetic, we have had guys on this team for 4-5 years and all they can do is play ST, Sam Aiken, Mario Haggan, Josh Stamer, etc. now Josh Scoby, Matt Murphy, we have an H-Back now and no H-back on the roster, Ryan Nuefeld is a capable blocking TE, but he is not a good lead blocker, the only true H-back we got is Derek Schouman and he is either to raw or not good enough cause he is on our PS, and wasnt considered to be brought up after Everett's injury, which also baffles me
Matt Murphy in his 5 years has been cut by 4 teams one of the most recent The Detriot Lions, but he makes our team elch, these are the moves that also dont make sense

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I have written this a few times in other threads, that is the differance between us and other teams in the league, our ST is awesome, but our offense and defense is pathetic, we have had guys on this team for 4-5 years and all they can do is play ST, Sam Aiken, Mario Haggan, Josh Stamer, etc. now Josh Scoby, Matt Murphy, we have an H-Back now and no H-back on the roster, Ryan Nuefeld is a capable blocking TE, but he is not a good lead blocker, the only true H-back we got is Derek Schouman and he is either to raw or not good enough cause he is on our PS, and wasnt considered to be brought up after Everett's injury, which also baffles me
Matt Murphy in his 5 years has been cut by 4 teams one of the most recent The Detriot Lions, but he makes our team elch, these are the moves that also dont make sense

I agree here. Most teams sacrafice their ST for making their offense or defense better. We seem to sacrafice our offense and defense for making our special teams better. While it's true that good special teams does win you games, but that's only if your offense or defense isn't severaly weakened because of it.

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2007, 10:47 AM
They signed a LB today, so relax.

And very few teams get contributions from their #5 WR.

bigbub2352
09-13-2007, 11:15 AM
They signed a LB today, so relax.

And very few teams get contributions from their #5 WR.
I agree with that, but how about having some WRs with some potential, not some one we know can do nothing on offense, at all, i just wont production out of our top 3 wrs, but Aiken is the best preseason WR in the league, then when reg season comes nothing, and he has had his oppurtunities, it would just be nice to get a prospect at 5 and develop him into a number 3 or 4 or even 2 for that matter, kinda like Ronald Curry, or Ernest Wilford etc. not Alex Bannister

The Jokeman
09-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Move A-Train to H-back and have Wright spell Lynch.
In all honesty to me it's a mistake to keep Wright AND A-train, while Wright will likely replace Thomas in a year or so to me neither one really brngs much to the table outside being a back up.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-13-2007, 11:41 AM
My thoughts are to cut/trade A-Train, and Matt Murphy.

We can get along with Royal, Neufeld, and Gaines at TE.

I don't think experience is very critical at the RB position, but Scobey
could provide some of that (yes, he is a running back too).

That frees up some (albeit not much) money, but more importantly allows us
to keep injured guys off IR, and fill out our roster.

It seems pretty simple to me, maybe I am crazy....