PDA

View Full Version : HNIC Radio on Sirius Satellite Radio

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-12-2007, 04:09 PM
The CBC announced the launching of HNIC Radio on Sirius Satellite Radio Friday, bringing back Hockey Night in Canada's radio roots which started 74 years ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...ic-sirius.html

Seasoned sports broadcaster Jeff Marek has joined HNIC Radio as host, and will work alongside rotating co-hosts Kelly Hrudey, Elliotte Friedman and Scott Morrison.

HNIC Radio will air Monday through Friday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. ET beginning Oct. 1 on channel 122, and will be available to Sirius listeners throughout North America.

THATHURMANATOR
09-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Nice! Does Sirius play NHL games? Beside this new channel of course>?

RockStar36
09-12-2007, 04:36 PM
:clap: Nice!

And yes Thurm, they do some games. Not all of them, just a select few per night.

OpIv37
09-13-2007, 09:10 AM
I always thought HNIC stood for something else...

BlackMetalNinja
09-13-2007, 09:16 AM
I thought Sirius's last year with the NHL was last season... I thought XM has it exlusively starting this year?

BlackMetalNinja
09-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I just checked both company's sites... XM has NHL now, Sirius no longer does... Sirius does however have NASCAR now and XM doesn't... if you like to HEAR about cars going in circles.

RockStar36
09-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I just checked both company's sites... XM has NHL now, Sirius no longer does... Sirius does however have NASCAR now and XM doesn't... if you like to HEAR about cars going in circles.

DAMNIT!!!!!

:mad:

OpIv37
09-13-2007, 09:31 AM
another reason why XM rules.

But Hockey Night in Canada is it's own show and probably has some leeway to make a deal with Sirius. I'm sure the NHL didn't object too much, since it will now be the ONLY hockey available on Sirius, while ALL the hockey is available on XM.

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2007, 09:37 AM
I always thought HNIC stood for something else...

Damn.

You might get your ass kicked over that one.

RockStar36
09-13-2007, 09:52 AM
another reason why XM rules.

But Hockey Night in Canada is it's own show and probably has some leeway to make a deal with Sirius. I'm sure the NHL didn't object too much, since it will now be the ONLY hockey available on Sirius, while ALL the hockey is available on XM.

For what it's worth, NHL games are available for free on NHL.com. The only time I would listen on Sirius is if I was driving.

BlackMetalNinja
09-13-2007, 09:59 AM
For what it's worth, NHL games are available for free on NHL.com. The only time I would listen on Sirius is if I was driving.

Yeah, I only listened to Sabres games while in my car on XM... usually I'm planted in front of the tv anyways.

OpIv37
09-13-2007, 10:11 AM

at home I use the NHL.com broadcasts on the computer when the games aren't on local TV (which is most of the time). But it's great to have that in my car.

As much as I'd love to be glued in front of a TV or at least hearing the audio for every single game, real life gets in the way. I can manage it for 16 Bills games, but it's a little more difficult for 84 Sabres games.

Playoffs are a different story, however.

RockStar36
09-13-2007, 10:20 AM
at home I use the NHL.com broadcasts on the computer when the games aren't on local TV (which is most of the time). But it's great to have that in my car.

As much as I'd love to be glued in front of a TV or at least hearing the audio for every single game, real life gets in the way. I can manage it for 16 Bills games, but it's a little more difficult for 84 Sabres games.

I catch the majority of Sabres games since my parents have Dish but there are several I have to listen to when I'm at home. It isn't that big of a deal though since RJ does such a good job at broadcasting. I'm the same way with you though. I do miss some Sabres games but I don't miss a second of the playoffs.

BlackMetalNinja
09-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Good thing there is only 82 then!

and this is why I find Center Ice to be the superior investment. $150 for 82 games is a lot better than whatever crazy # Sunday Ticket is now for 16 games... at least in my eyes. I can handle going to the bar for 4 hours on a Sunday for a few months, but not 3 hours, 3-4 nights a week, and that's only if I'm lucky enough to find a bar that'll put Sabres games on for me.

OpIv37
09-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Good thing there is only 82 then!

and this is why I find Center Ice to be the superior investment. $150 for 82 games is a lot better than whatever crazy # Sunday Ticket is now for 16 games... at least in my eyes. I can handle going to the bar for 4 hours on a Sunday for a few months, but not 3 hours, 3-4 nights a week, and that's only if I'm lucky enough to find a bar that'll put Sabres games on for me.

I just dropped Center Ice :sadwalk:

Between my base package, HD, Superfan, Sunday Ticket and Center Ice, my DirectTV bill was $162 this month, and that was with $20 worth of credits. It's usually around $65 when I don't have any active sports packages.

I may call DirecTV and see what kind of deal I can get outright, but when I see that bill it nearly gave me a heart attack.

OpIv37
09-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Damn.

You might get your ass kicked over that one.

Hey, I didn't say it and I definitely didn't make it up.