PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Draft Roster Analysis...

BillsMan80
03-22-2003, 10:12 PM
These posts about how we look right now, lead me to the idea to post a roster analysis. Here goes.

QB-Right now, we are fine, as we have a star in Drew Bledsoe. He’s a leader and has the arm and abilities to take a team deep into the playoffs. While Alex Van Pelt is a good backup, I don't know how much confidence we would have throwing him in there for a prolonged period of time. However, for a 1-2 game stretch, he would be fine. Third string Travis Brown is a wild-card, as it's obvious the Bills like his potential, yet he hasn't been promoted to the backup position yet. A move could be made here in the draft.

RB-Right now, Buffalo has two quality starters with Travis Henry and FB Phillip Crosby, but depth is a question mark. Joe Burns hasn't shown all that much in his limited playing time and Sammy Morris is a solid player in reserve with good hands and smarts. Buffalo signed 2 players that I believe could be wild-cards in Ken Simonton and De'Mond Parker. Simonton was a leading rusher at Oregon State, and has the ability to be a decent 3rd down scat-back. Parker showed flashes in Green Bay and could be an option as a backup to Henry if nothing can be found. Depth at this position could be addressed in the draft.

WR-As of now, I like our receivers. Eric Moulds is an all-around great talent, leader, and player who does everything. Josh Reed will step up and be a huge player next year. While he may not be the speedster Price is, he has every bit the “Yards After Catch” and playmaking ability of Price in my opinion. In addition to Eric and Josh, Bobby Shaw could prove to be a big addition as he should be a very good slot option, as he has good size to make plays. The Tight End position is fine with Dave Moore and Mark Campbell who can split duties as each are average to above average.

OL-This to me is a position where we might see the greatest improvement due to better schemes and better coaching. Jonas Jennings and Mike Williams are two tremendous talents at the tackle position, especially in the running game as they both are good maulers. Ruben Brown is solid as always and one of the most respected interior linemen in the game by his peers. Also, I thought Trey Teague did a solid job in converting to be a quality center for us, and while he may not be the road grader everyone is looking for, he is just fine here. Marques Sullivan is a player who many people were down on, but I disagree. I think Sullivan is a player who showed immense potential at guard, as he proved to be a rock in the running game, but his pass blocking needs to improve. Price is an excellent backup for depth, and we do need to add some depth, and it could be done via the draft.

DL- With the signing of Sam Adams, a lot of question marks disappear, giving the Bills flexibility in the upcoming draft. Tom Donahoe brought him in and didn’t break the bank. This move will give big Pat Williams a tremendous advantage as opposing offensive lines won’t be teeing off on him with double teams. DE Aaron Schobel is a player who is improving, as he provides a solid pass rush, and with more bulk will be better against the run. Marcus Jones is a player I feel will provide a huge impact. Jones had 13 sacks in his last full year in Tampa and with his size has the bulk to be consistent in the running and passing game. Keith McKenzie also should prove to be a key addition as he should be able to provide pass rush on pass rushing downs. Grant Irons and Ryan Denney are two young players who have showed some flashes, but still need to show more to get time. Ron Edwards hasn't shown the fire as of yet, and his job is in jeopardy with Adams on board. Justin Bannan surprised me, and showed he can be a competent run stuffer, but Sam Adams would be just what the doctor ordered. Must be addressed on 1st day of the draft though. Bills defensive line coach Tim Krumrie has a full cupboard to work with.

LB-The Bills revamped this unit in free agency as well. Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey, and London Fletcher put together will make up one of the NFL's best LB corps. Fletcher is a rock in the middle and with the addition of mammoth defensive tackle Sam Adams, he should be a force. Spikes is a playmaker outside who should make a serious run for the Pro Bowl and with Williams and Adams swallowing blockers in front of him, he will be an odds on favorite to lead the team in tackles. Posey should be able to bring a strong pass rushing presence from the SLB position. In reserve, Spoon and Polk are fine in their roles, and possibly could start in the event of an injury, and I would like to see Dominique Stevenson a bit more as he was a playmaker at Tennessee.

DB-Obviously, Nate Clements and Antonio Winfield are tops and are terrific in man coverage, but we have better depth than many think in my opinion. Kevin Thomas showed me a lot during his short stretch at the end of the year. Jason Bostic also came on towards the end of the year before getting injured, but should be a decent 4th corner. At Safety, Coy Wire progressed as a rookie as an excellent blitzing DB, showing toughness against the run, but his pass coverage is still lacking. Pierson Prioleau is a big hitter but failed to deliver with enough big plays. Pushing Prioleau will be free agent acquisition Izell Reese, formerly starting for the Denver Broncos. One of the Bills higer picks could be used at the safety position.

ST-Rian Lindell's signing should be a solid one. He is young talent on the rise who posted better clutch numbers than Mike Hollis, and came cheaper. One advantage Lindell has over Hollis is a stronger r leg on kickoffs. Brian Moorman is fine and is one of the top punters in the league. On Punt Returns, Bobby Shaw should be a huge improvement over Charlie Rogers as Shaw averaged over 12 yards per return. The Bills next kick return man has not been decided on.

Hope you like the analysis, and any comments, questions, complaints are welcome.

Throne Logic
03-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Well, that's pretty much how I see things, too.

I'd like to see T. Jones starting as our FS. A draft pick will require a year or so to develop (i.e. Coy Wire). This is assuming that Jones' isn't looking for a monster contract.

I'd also like to see a punishing RB to compliment Henry's style on occation.

Good analysis.

TigerJ
03-23-2003, 04:38 PM
I don't find a lot to disagree with here. I think Buffalo can expect some improvement based on the coaching changes. I have held a minority view on DE, that we need to add not a stud pass rusher, but a solid run defender at DE. There's been no indication that Schobel has the frame to add bulk and play the run defender role on the left side. Jones thus far has been a productive pass rusher only on the right side. Irons and Denney as yet are wild cards and McKenzie a situational pass rusher. Bostic wasn't bad in spot duty as a CB last year, but his injury was an ACL, and the fact is that players often take a full year or more to make a full recovery, and there are few positions which place a heavier demand on the joints of the leg than CB. Buffalo did sign a veteran CB in January who could perhaps help the Bills, but I think the Bills will certainly be interested in drafting a good young CB.

HenryRules
03-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Tiger, I'd never thought of it, but a run-stopping DE makes a lot of sense. I also agree with drafting a CB due to a variety of factors (those which you mentioned plus the pending free agency of Winfield). I also agree with Throne about drafting a RB and think that a bruiser between the T's would be great. Unfortunately, I can't think of any RB's that fit that mould that will be able to contribute this season.

One position that I disagree with in the analysis is LB. Spoon and Polk are fine, but I don't think either has the speed needed for outside play. They work well as subs in short-yardage situations, but I'd like us to have a faster OLB as a backup as well ... more for injury-sake than anything else.