• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

The Irony in playing Pittsburgh...

The irony to me of playing Pittsburgh is that Steelers have the one free agent who would single-handedly turn around the fortune of the Buffalo Bills and this organization.

He isn’t a player either. That guy is a head coach. Bill Cowher would instantly change the face of the Buffalo Bills.

For starters, he would end the string of three consecutive jokes of head coaches in Williams, Mularkey and Jauron. It would be the end of the “Club Jauron” era of camp (which is why I believe so many guys are getting injured and why guys like Schobel are dead tired and taking off plays in the final minutes of the fourth quarter). More importantly, this team would play a lot more tough with a ton of grit; something SEVERELYYYYYY lacking right now.

Most importantly, Cowher would bring a measure of respect and credibility to an organization desperately in need of it. Cowher is a proven winner. In 15 years as head coach at Pittsburgh, he led his teams to the playoffs 9 times, including a pair of Super Bowl appearances (one win). He’s 59 games over .500 as a coach, including 10 seasons with double digit wins.

And it’s not like he won with the most talented teams all the time. Quarterbacks during the Cowher era include Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomzcak and Neil O’ Donnell.

The one CONSTANT under Cowher teams is that they are tough. His teams run the ball, and they stop the run. There’s not fancy science to his teams; they just play hard and they play tough. As a result, they’ve always won. GO up and down the list of Steelers over the past 15 years. I bet you anything Buffalo has had more “stars” on the roster; yet its Pittsburgh that’s always won.

I’d even make him in charge of player personnel decisions, which would actually BENEFIT Marv Levy. Marv seems to be pretty spot-on with drafting thus far, but his free agent decisions have been borderline comical. Yes, THAT bad. Cowher knows what kind of free agents this team needs, and I can assure you they wouldn’t be guys like Robert Royal, Larry Trippplett and Tutan Reyes.

Under this scenario, Wilson keeps his mouthpiece as a GM in Levy, picks up an outstanding coach in Cowher that would have a lot of stroke in personnel decisions, and the franchise would finally have a legitimate winning coach the fans can count on to actually rebuild.

I hate that word, “rebuilding”. Like I said, the Bills aren’t “rebuilding”. Right now the Bills just suck. Cowher would change that.

Of course, it will come down to money. Wilson is infamously frugal when it comes to spending money on GM’s and head coaches—and would have to make a drastic exception for Cowher; who will become one of if not the top paid head coach in football once he comes out of retirement. We’d also have competition as I’m sure Cleveland and probably the Giants and a few others would throw money his way too.

But in my opinion, he’s the most important football person out there to turn around what has sadly become a league-wide joke of a franchise. Cowher would make this team a winner within two years, something these string of ****ty head coaches and GM’s haven’t come close to doing.

When we lose 12-13 games this season as I suspect we will; I’m really hoping fan pressure mounts and Wilson caves in and finally spends the necessary money to land winning personnel on this staff. This Jauron horse**** just gets harder and harder to fathom with every bonehead decision.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Re: The Irony in playing Pittsburgh...

WOW.

I agree with Pat 120%.

Cowher is one reason I predicted the Steelers to not be so good this year. I thought it was a loss they couldn't overcome. He is a great coach.

D & S Sports

Comment

• casdhf
      • Jul 2002

If you pay me, I'll edit for you.
      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by casdhf
        If you pay me, I'll edit for you.
        and if you pay me, I'll leave work for the day and go home and re-write it.. Instead of sneaking in posts while at work, shrinking the screen every 40 seconds when my boss is walking by.

Deal?

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Bill Cowher is going to wait for the Carolina job to open up.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Cowher is going to be the Browns Head Coach in 2008.

The second biggest mistake Art Modell made while the team was in Cleveland was hiring Bud Carson as the HC in 89 and not Cowher. Cowher was on the staff under Marty. He's going to be coming back.

If Cowher isn't the Browns coach in 08, it will be because he truly is done with the game.

Comment

• raphael120
              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
              • Oct 2005

Yeah I highly doubt Cowher would coach in Buffalo, and I highly doubt Ralph would spend what it would need to sign Cowher too.

And signing a proven, winning, coach is overrated in his eyes apparently.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

I would say for sure that Cleveland, Giants and Carolina (unless they have a great year) would be the top candidates for Cowher next season.

Realistically, I understand Wilson opening up the vault for a guy like Cowher is little more than a pipe dream. He’s not that kind of owner, that’s the way it is.

IF Cowher is coaching in 2008 and not in Buffalo, I hope it’s Carolina. I’d “settle” for John Fox in a second.

It’s kinda funny, Jauron is universally recognized on here as SO BAD that even the homers can’t support him.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

I can't disagree with this. Cowher would be amazing!

Comment

• RockStar36
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    I would say for sure that Cleveland, Giants and Carolina (unless they have a great year) would be the top candidates for Cowher next season.

Realistically, I understand Wilson opening up the vault for a guy like Cowher is little more than a pipe dream. He’s not that kind of owner, that’s the way it is.

IF Cowher is coaching in 2008 and not in Buffalo, I hope it’s Carolina. I’d “settle” for John Fox in a second.

It’s kinda funny, Jauron is universally recognized on here as SO BAD that even the homers can’t support him.
                    I don't HATE Jauron, but Cowher would be a much better upgrade.

I have a nice newer car. But if I had the chance to trade it in for a Ferrari I'm going to do it in a second.

D & S Sports

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

To me, bringing Cowher to Buffalo would be the equivalent to when Drury joined the Sabres.

He brought a winner’s mentality to the team (something the Bills don’t have can’t be understated) and seemingly instantly they went from a talented young team with no clue how to win into legitimate Stanley Cup contenders-- just like that.

Watching these good teams play, for the most part you can see the imporatance of a good front office and coaching staff. The talent pool between the good and bad teams isn’t THAT MUCH. It comes down to organizational moves and head coaching, and since Polian and Levy have been gone, I’ve really started to see the major difference.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                        I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                        • May 2005

I only want him as our coach if he allows everybody to refer to him only as "The Chin"

Comment

• Bill Cody
                          • Sep 2004

Cowher couldn't win a SB with Cordell and he wouldn't with Lossman.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DrewBlueFan
                            id take a wild card game right now

Comment

• RockStar36
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by DrewBlueFan
                              Going 13-3 and making to the AFC Championship game with Kordell is extremely impressive.

BTW, how did Drew do in Dallas?

D & S Sports

Comment

Working...
                              X