PDA

View Full Version : The Irony in playing Pittsburgh...

patmoran2006
09-13-2007, 10:25 AM
The irony to me of playing <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> is that Steelers have the one free agent who would single-handedly turn around the fortune of the Buffalo Bills and this organization.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
He isn’t a player either. That guy is a head coach. Bill Cowher would instantly change the face of the Buffalo Bills.<o:p></o:p>
For starters, he would end the string of three consecutive jokes of head coaches in Williams, Mularkey and Jauron. It would be the end of the “Club Jauron” era of camp (which is why I believe so many guys are getting injured and why guys like Schobel are dead tired and taking off plays in the final minutes of the fourth quarter). More importantly, this team would play a lot more tough with a ton of grit; something SEVERELYYYYYY lacking right now.
Most importantly, Cowher would bring a measure of respect and credibility to an organization desperately in need of it. Cowher is a proven winner. In 15 years as head coach at <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City>, he led his teams to the playoffs 9 times, including a pair of Super Bowl appearances (one win). He’s 59 games over .500 as a coach, including 10 seasons with double digit wins.
And it’s not like he won with the most talented teams all the time. Quarterbacks during the Cowher era include Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomzcak and Neil O’ Donnell.
The one CONSTANT under Cowher teams is that they are tough. His teams run the ball, and they stop the run. There’s not fancy science to his teams; they just play hard and they play tough. As a result, they’ve always won. GO up and down the list of Steelers over the past 15 years. I bet you anything <st1:City w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:City> has had more “stars” on the roster; yet its <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> that’s always won.
I’d even make him in charge of player personnel decisions, which would actually BENEFIT Marv Levy. Marv seems to be pretty spot-on with drafting thus far, but his free agent decisions have been borderline comical. Yes, THAT bad. Cowher knows what kind of free agents this team needs, and I can assure you they wouldn’t be guys like Robert Royal, Larry Trippplett and Tutan Reyes.
Under this scenario, Wilson keeps his mouthpiece as a GM in Levy, picks up an outstanding coach in Cowher that would have a lot of stroke in personnel decisions, and the franchise would finally have a legitimate winning coach the fans can count on to actually rebuild.
I hate that word, “rebuilding”. Like I said, the Bills aren’t “rebuilding”. Right now the Bills just suck. Cowher would change that.
Of course, it will come down to money. Wilson is infamously frugal when it comes to spending money on GM’s and head coaches—and would have to make a drastic exception for Cowher; who will become one of if not the top paid head coach in football once he comes out of retirement. We’d also have competition as I’m sure <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cleveland</st1:place></st1:City> and probably the Giants and a few others would throw money his way too.
But in my opinion, he’s the most important football person out there to turn around what has sadly become a league-wide joke of a franchise. Cowher would make this team a winner within two years, something these string of ****ty head coaches and GM’s haven’t come close to doing.<o:p></o:p>
When we lose 12-13 games this season as I suspect we will; I’m really hoping fan pressure mounts and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> caves in and finally spends the necessary money to land winning personnel on this staff. This Jauron horse**** just gets harder and harder to fathom with every bonehead decision.<o:p></o:p>

RockStar36
09-13-2007, 10:29 AM
WOW.

I agree with Pat 120%.

Cowher is one reason I predicted the Steelers to not be so good this year. I thought it was a loss they couldn't overcome. He is a great coach.

casdhf
09-13-2007, 10:30 AM
If you pay me, I'll edit for you.

patmoran2006
09-13-2007, 10:31 AM
If you pay me, I'll edit for you.
and if you pay me, I'll leave work for the day and go home and re-write it.. Instead of sneaking in posts while at work, shrinking the screen every 40 seconds when my boss is walking by.

Deal?

TacklingDummy
09-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Bill Cowher is going to wait for the Carolina job to open up.

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Cowher is going to be the Browns Head Coach in 2008.

The second biggest mistake Art Modell made while the team was in Cleveland was hiring Bud Carson as the HC in 89 and not Cowher. Cowher was on the staff under Marty. He's going to be coming back.

If Cowher isn't the Browns coach in 08, it will be because he truly is done with the game.

raphael120
09-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Yeah I highly doubt Cowher would coach in Buffalo, and I highly doubt Ralph would spend what it would need to sign Cowher too.

And signing a proven, winning, coach is overrated in his eyes apparently.

patmoran2006
09-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I would say for sure that <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Cleveland</st1:City>, Giants and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Carolina</st1:place></st1:City> (unless they have a great year) would be the top candidates for Cowher next season.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Realistically, I understand <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> opening up the vault for a guy like Cowher is little more than a pipe dream. He’s not that kind of owner, that’s the way it is.<o:p></o:p>
IF Cowher is coaching in 2008 and not in <st1:City w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:City>, I hope it’s <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Carolina</st1:place></st1:City>. I’d “settle” for John Fox in a second.<o:p></o:p>
It’s kinda funny, Jauron is universally recognized on here as SO BAD that even the homers can’t support him.<o:p></o:p>

THATHURMANATOR
09-13-2007, 10:46 AM
I can't disagree with this. Cowher would be amazing!

RockStar36
09-13-2007, 10:48 AM
I would say for sure that <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Cleveland</st1:City>, Giants and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Carolina</st1:place></st1:City> (unless they have a great year) would be the top candidates for Cowher next season.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Realistically, I understand <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> opening up the vault for a guy like Cowher is little more than a pipe dream. He’s not that kind of owner, that’s the way it is.<o:p></o:p>
IF Cowher is coaching in 2008 and not in <st1:City w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:City>, I hope it’s <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Carolina</st1:place></st1:City>. I’d “settle” for John Fox in a second.<o:p></o:p>
It’s kinda funny, Jauron is universally recognized on here as SO BAD that even the homers can’t support him.<o:p></o:p>

I don't HATE Jauron, but Cowher would be a much better upgrade.

I have a nice newer car. But if I had the chance to trade it in for a Ferrari I'm going to do it in a second.

patmoran2006
09-13-2007, 10:51 AM
To me, bringing Cowher to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> would be the equivalent to when Drury joined the Sabres.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
He brought a winner’s mentality to the team (something the Bills don’t have can’t be understated) and seemingly instantly they went from a talented young team with no clue how to win into legitimate Stanley Cup contenders-- just like that.<o:p></o:p>
Watching these good teams play, for the most part you can see the imporatance of a good front office and coaching staff. The talent pool between the good and bad teams isn’t THAT MUCH. It comes down to organizational moves and head coaching, and since Polian and Levy have been gone, I’ve really started to see the major difference.<o:p></o:p>

BlackMetalNinja
09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I only want him as our coach if he allows everybody to refer to him only as "The Chin"

Bill Cody
09-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Cowher couldn't win a SB with Cordell and he wouldn't with Lossman.

patmoran2006
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
id take a wild card game right now

RockStar36
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Going 13-3 and making to the AFC Championship game with Kordell is extremely impressive.

BTW, how did Drew do in Dallas?

The Jokeman
09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Cowher is going to be the Browns Head Coach in 2008.

The second biggest mistake Art Modell made while the team was in Cleveland was hiring Bud Carson as the HC in 89 and not Cowher. Cowher was on the staff under Marty. He's going to be coming back.

If Cowher isn't the Browns coach in 08, it will be because he truly is done with the game.
I'm assuming the biggest mistake is not keeping Belichick? In terms of Cowher, I can't see him landing in Buffalo as don't see Ralph ever giving the money it take to land a big time coach. Nor do I see him letting a HC having control of the roster which am sure Cowher would want.

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm assuming the biggest mistake is not keeping Belichick? In terms of Cowher, I can't see him landing in Buffalo as don't see Ralph ever giving the money it take to land a big time coach. Nor do I see him letting a HC having control of the roster which am sure Cowher would want.

Belichick was let go after the move...and Marchibroda was the initial Ravens HC. Billick replaced Marchibroda and took the Art Modell led Ravens to a SB title.

Biggest mistake by Art was firing Paul Brown.

DarbyTheDinosaur
09-13-2007, 11:18 AM
I think Cowher is out of coaching for at least 4 seasons.

casdhf
09-13-2007, 11:46 AM
and if you pay me, I'll leave work for the day and go home and re-write it.. Instead of sneaking in posts while at work, shrinking the screen every 40 seconds when my boss is walking by.

Deal? Where do you work again?

HAMMER
09-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Where do you work again?

Temp agency.

Preacher
09-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Any of you who are looking for Cowher to come back next year... are dreaming. Cowher is out for at least next year and the year after that. All children will be completely done with schooling and sports before he comes back.

83evans
09-13-2007, 07:13 PM
:monkeyp:
The irony to me of playing <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> is that Steelers have the one free agent who would single-handedly turn around the fortune of the Buffalo Bills and this organization.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
He isn’t a player either. That guy is a head coach. Bill Cowher would instantly change the face of the Buffalo Bills.<o:p></o:p>
For starters, he would end the string of three consecutive jokes of head coaches in Williams, Mularkey and Jauron. It would be the end of the “Club Jauron” era of camp (which is why I believe so many guys are getting injured and why guys like Schobel are dead tired and taking off plays in the final minutes of the fourth quarter). More importantly, this team would play a lot more tough with a ton of grit; something SEVERELYYYYYY lacking right now.
Most importantly, Cowher would bring a measure of respect and credibility to an organization desperately in need of it. Cowher is a proven winner. In 15 years as head coach at <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City>, he led his teams to the playoffs 9 times, including a pair of Super Bowl appearances (one win). He’s 59 games over .500 as a coach, including 10 seasons with double digit wins.
And it’s not like he won with the most talented teams all the time. Quarterbacks during the Cowher era include Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomzcak and Neil O’ Donnell.
The one CONSTANT under Cowher teams is that they are tough. His teams run the ball, and they stop the run. There’s not fancy science to his teams; they just play hard and they play tough. As a result, they’ve always won. GO up and down the list of Steelers over the past 15 years. I bet you anything <st1:City w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:City> has had more “stars” on the roster; yet its <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> that’s always won.
I’d even make him in charge of player personnel decisions, which would actually BENEFIT Marv Levy. Marv seems to be pretty spot-on with drafting thus far, but his free agent decisions have been borderline comical. Yes, THAT bad. Cowher knows what kind of free agents this team needs, and I can assure you they wouldn’t be guys like Robert Royal, Larry Trippplett and Tutan Reyes.
Under this scenario, Wilson keeps his mouthpiece as a GM in Levy, picks up an outstanding coach in Cowher that would have a lot of stroke in personnel decisions, and the franchise would finally have a legitimate winning coach the fans can count on to actually rebuild.
I hate that word, “rebuilding”. Like I said, the Bills aren’t “rebuilding”. Right now the Bills just suck. Cowher would change that.
Of course, it will come down to money. Wilson is infamously frugal when it comes to spending money on GM’s and head coaches—and would have to make a drastic exception for Cowher; who will become one of if not the top paid head coach in football once he comes out of retirement. We’d also have competition as I’m sure <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cleveland</st1:place></st1:City> and probably the Giants and a few others would throw money his way too.
But in my opinion, he’s the most important football person out there to turn around what has sadly become a league-wide joke of a franchise. Cowher would make this team a winner within two years, something these string of ****ty head coaches and GM’s haven’t come close to doing.<o:p></o:p>
When we lose 12-13 games this season as I suspect we will; I’m really hoping fan pressure mounts and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> caves in and finally spends the necessary money to land winning personnel on this staff. This Jauron horse**** just gets harder and harder to fathom with every bonehead decision.<o:p></o:p>

HORIBLE POST

El Guapo
09-13-2007, 07:40 PM
RW will never spend the money for a proven coach. Won't happen. Keep dreaming, Bills fans. This team is being set up for a fire sale. No cap problems, no long term coaching contracts, no long term stadium deals, no long term debts.... RW is leaving the Bills VERY attractive to potential buyers.

YardRat
09-13-2007, 07:42 PM
My money's on Cleveland, if and when he ever returns. Carolina would be a damn close second.