PDA

View Full Version : Webster on IR, LB Joe signed

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Capping off a crazy week of roster shuffling, the Bills are hoping they've made the last one they need to for a while. Jason Webster, who had surgery earlier this week, became the third Bills player to go on injured reserve Thursday on the heels of an injury-riddled opener against the Broncos. Ko Simpson and Kevin Everett were placed on I-R earlier this week.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5242

mybills
09-13-2007, 10:49 AM
6'1" 235lbs...Joe also knows Buffalo's defensive system which is very similar to Chicago's scheme.

:up:

raphael120
09-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Man we're just raiding the Bears cast offs.

But then again, if youre going to do that, might as well take them from the best defense in the league.

OpIv37
09-13-2007, 10:50 AM
1. Who is Leon Joe? Guess it doesn't really matter, at least we have enough bodies to play LB now. Beggars can't be choosers.

2. what's the point of putting Webster on IR? We signed him as a stopgap for Youboty and after this season, Youboty should be ready. And it's not like anyone else is going to sign him while he's injured. Just cut his ass already.

RockStar36
09-13-2007, 10:51 AM
OH WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?

WHAT KIND OF SIGNING IS THAT?!?!?!?

I THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING TO MAKE A TRADE FOR BRIGGS!!!!

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2007, 10:52 AM
1. Who is Leon Joe? Guess it doesn't really matter, at least we have enough bodies to play LB now. Beggars can't be choosers.

2. what's the point of putting Webster on IR? We signed him as a stopgap for Youboty and after this season, Youboty should be ready. And it's not like anyone else is going to sign him while he's injured. Just cut his ass already.

Maybe they will work out an injury settlement? They can't cut an injured guy.

Earthquake Enyart
Joe was a decent STer. Plus he's a cover 2 guy who played for Fewell, so he'll fit in faster.

raphael120
It'd be nice if one of the Bears LB's we signed turns out to be a diamond in the rough, that once they get a chance to play, they take off. They had the best people to learn from in Chicago. They have one of the best LB corps in the league.

patmoran2006
09-13-2007, 10:53 AM
LOL.

The Bills are the Bears minor league farm team I guess.

THATHURMANATOR
OH WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?

WHAT KIND OF SIGNING IS THAT?!?!?!?

I THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING TO MAKE A TRADE FOR BRIGGS!!!!
THIS IS REDICULOUS!!! WHAT A CHEAP ASS FRONT OFFICE......

justasportsfan
Man we're just raiding the Bears cast offs.

But then again, if youre going to do that, might as well take them from the best defense in the league.
Are you gonna honor the bet or not? :mad:

He's here to play special teams so that the starters won't get overloaded by playing ST and risk further injuries.

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2007, 10:55 AM
I love the "They signed a cast-off" responses.

Aren't all available players at this time cast-offs?

They can't go and sign Briggs off the Bears roster.

The Jokeman

I'm pretty sure because it's against the cba to cut an injured player unless you reach an injury settlement beforehand. In terms of Joe probably just another depth player until Keith Ellison/Coy Wire is deemed healthy enough to play. Likely replacing Haggan on ST while Haggan starts.

patmoran2006
http://www.chicagobears.com/team/player44.html

OpIv37
Maybe they will work out an injury settlement? They can't cut an injured guy.

they can't by rule or they won't?

OpIv37
09-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty sure because it's against the cba to cut an injured player unless you reach an injury settlement beforehand. In terms of Joe probably just another depth player until Keith Ellison/Coy Wire is deemed healthy enough to play. Likely replacing Haggan on ST while Haggan starts.

thanks- didn't realize there was a rule about cutting injured guys.

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2007, 10:56 AM
they can't by rule or they won't?

By rule.

Only if an injury settlement is reached. And since Webster is guarenteed his $$ and has an injury that is likely year ending, he has no reason to do so.

mybills
09-13-2007, 10:57 AM
THIS IS REDICULOUS!!! WHAT A CHEAP ASS FRONT OFFICE......
Are you serious? Money's the last thing to worry about. We need guys to play this week, and they need time to practice. This guy is familiar with the system already.

BlackMetalNinja
09-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Are you serious? Money's the last thing to worry about. We need guys to play this week, and they need time to practice. This guy is familiar with the system already.

No, he's not...

patmoran2006
09-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a solid special teams guy.

Which is by FAR the highlight of our team.

RockStar36
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM

Talk about going right over your head.

patmoran2006
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
has there been a team in NFL history who have went 2-14 but had the best special teams in the entire league?

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Another ST signing? That's just great. Don't we have enough ST only players already? Do we really need more?

The Spaz
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Another ST signing? That's just great. Don't we have enough ST only players already? Do we really need more?

We just lost Wire and Everett. Next...

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 11:07 AM
We just lost Wire and Everett. Next...

And didn't we just sign at least 3 other guys who's main contribution will be STs?

Murphy, Gaines and Scott?

The only place Murphy and Gaines will see the field is ST and Scott will probably also contribute on ST.

Wire was our starter at LB and we signed a special teams player to replace him? Good idea! I like it.

What was that again? Oh yeah...Next..

The Spaz
09-13-2007, 11:10 AM
And didn't we just sign at least 3 other guys who's main contribution will be STs?

The only place Murphy and Gaines will see the field is ST and Scott will probably also contribute on ST.

Wire was our starter at LB and we signed a special teams player to replace him? Good idea! I like it.

Didn't Wire play special teams? Everett played special teams and in regular sets. I believe Webster even was ST for a bit last week. But oh yeah...next.

bigbub2352
09-13-2007, 11:12 AM
He was signed cause he nows Fewell, and Fewell know what he can get out of him, otherwise he is anothe ST ace, Man we should set the record this year for ST, no one should return a kick or Punt on us, and maybe we can get a few more in the endzone from Roscoe and Terrance, gotta have hope somewhere (crying inside)

The Jokeman
09-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Sounds like a solid special teams guy.

Which is by FAR the highlight of our team.

Which brings up an interesting point. There's no doubt are ST have been arguably the best over the last three or four seasons yet if they truely were equal to offense/defense then one would think we would have made the playoffs in one of the seasons. As much as it pains me to say it this could make an arguement against getting Tasker in the HOF.

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2007, 11:15 AM

They should have signed one of the All-Pro LB's that are out there.

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Didn't Wire play special teams? Everett played special teams and in regular sets. I believe Webster even was ST for a bit last week. But oh yeah...next.

Ok, so we lost 3 special team guys...signed 3 to replace them, then just decided we needed to sign one more anyways for fun?

Then again we lost Everett and signed 2 TEs, so I guess it fits the clubs M.O.

Meanwhile we're stuck with only having 4 CBs on the roster and starting DiG on defense. Who needs more than 4 corners on an NFL roster? oh yeah, everybody but us.

I like Terrence on kick returns, but I don't know if we can afford having him keep doing it, with the way our depth is at corner.

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 11:18 AM
They should have signed one of the All-Pro LB's that are out there.

Did I say an all-pro? I think not.

Someone who could contribute more than just special teams would be nice and having a 5th corner for depth purposes would be even nicer.

bigbub2352
i would have liked someone with some starts under there belt, incase of more injuries, but Ellison will be back soon, and Digorgio movin outside i think that was the best move our D has done this year, Ellison might have trouble gettin his job back, just a thought, DIg has a nice nose for the ball

Dr. Lecter

No. They cut Murphy Saturday, with the plan to sign Gaines. When Everett got hurt, they brough Murphy back.

justasportsfan
09-13-2007, 11:22 AM

DiG is now the starter . You don't want him or anyone else to be playing at ST and risk losing him too.

Mahdi
09-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Gaines and Murphy arent all that fast and lack explosiveness. At 6'1 235 he can probably run well which is what we need to replace Everett on ST. NEXT!

Mahdi
09-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Ok, so we lost 3 special team guys...signed 3 to replace them, then just decided we needed to sign one more anyways for fun?

Meanwhile we're stuck with only having 4 CBs on the roster and starting DiG on defense. Who needs more than 4 corners on an NFL roster? oh yeah, everybody but us.

I like Terrence on kick returns, but I don't know if we can afford having him keep doing it, with the way our depth is at corner.
Scott was a CB when he was drafted, if they move to dime defense or another injury occurs at either CB or S he can be used. Next

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Scott was a CB when he was drafted, if they move to dime defense or another injury occurs at either CB or S he can be used. Next
And has never played corner at the NFL level.

but I guess that doesn't matter, he was a corner in college 5 years ago, so that must count for something.

Ferrygoat
09-13-2007, 11:30 AM
2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 50 | Key (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/scouts/news/story?id=2996209)
Alert: B

Comment: Joe is an excellent space player who has very good speed and body control. He has a relentless motor and makes more than his share of hustle plays. He uses his hands and lateral quickness to avoid blocks. He has good range, breaks down and makes physical tackles. He excels on special teams. But Joe needs more experience and must become a better take-on player. He gets engulfed or, worse, tries to slip lead blocks and gives up gap responsibility. He must learn to use his hands to fend off low blocks and to gain leverage, separate and shed. He sometimes gets out of position and lacks awareness dropping in zone coverage. He needs to further develop his understanding of the game but will have trouble getting game reps on defense in Chicago.

Mahdi
09-13-2007, 11:33 AM
And has never played corner at the NFL level.

but I guess that doesn't matter, he was a corner in college 5 years ago, so that must count for something.
Against another team's 4th or 5th WR he should be able to hold his own. Lots of teams use a S instead of CBs when they use packages with more than three Cbs.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Maybe we can use a WR for a corner, like how Troy Brown came through for the Pats? Wait, we wouldn't want our backup WR's to be too tired to play on "the sacred cow" special teams.

patmoran2006
09-13-2007, 12:20 PM
LOL we can sit here and argue over every single point with the Bills known to man.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
It doesn’t matter if they sign 34 ST standouts, castoffs, “prospects”, pro bowlers or whatever.<o:p></o:p>
Until this team overhauls the FO and Coaching staff.. again--- they are going to be a bad product.. Very bad.<o:p></o:p>
NEXT!<o:p></o:p>

The Spaz
09-13-2007, 01:16 PM
LOL we can sit here and argue over every single point with the Bills known to man.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
It doesn’t matter if they sign 34 ST standouts, castoffs, “prospects”, pro bowlers or whatever.<o:p></o:p>
Until this team overhauls the FO and Coaching staff.. again--- they are going to be a bad product.. Very bad.<o:p></o:p>

Fonts suck! Next...

madness
09-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Until this board overhauls the FORUM and garbage posts.. again--- they are going to be a bad product.. Very bad.

NEXT!

justasportsfan
09-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Moran changing his mind again. :snicker:

Mahdi
09-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Steelers Suck! GO BILLS! Next.

Mr. Cynical
09-13-2007, 02:26 PM
LOL we can sit here and argue over every single point with the Bills known to man.<o:p></o:p>

Yep. See my sig.

HHURRICANE
09-13-2007, 03:23 PM
6' 1" 235? He should fit our undersized D nicely. It would be scary to think that we might bring a guy in that actaually has NFL size.

TigerJ
09-13-2007, 03:56 PM

I'm assuming that since he was injured while playing a Bills game, the Bills have a financial obligation to him while he remains injured. When his arm is better, if Youboty is playing as well as we hope, the Bills may reach an injury settlement with him and cut him loose.

madness
09-13-2007, 04:00 PM
6' 1" 235? He should fit our undersized D nicely. It would be scary to think that we might bring a guy in that actaually has NFL size.

He's only a ST filler.

Joe addition

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today

</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 1:04 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1920)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>JOE ADDITION: The addition of Leon Joe will help special teams more than anything else. Joe was a pretty good special teams coverage player with the Bears. Over the past two seasons he ranked second on the team in special teams tackles. And special teams needs help almost as much as the defense. Wire is gone and now it looks like DiGiorgio will be filling in for him so his role on special teams will be reduced. So Joe could help fill the void on special teams. Then again coming in so late in the week, he may just be inactive this week. --- </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Answer
09-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Wooooo Hooooo!

Another scrub added to a depleted defense that's the worst in the league already.

~The Answer

G. Host
09-13-2007, 06:27 PM
6'1" 235lbs...Joe also knows Buffalo's defensive system which is very similar to Chicago's scheme.

:up:

The DC who coached for Chicago should be familiar with his abilities and weaknesses.