PDA

View Full Version : more teams in the playoffs

BillsOwnAll
03-23-2003, 10:03 AM
i heard that there is going to be 8 teams in each coference makeing the playoffs. im not sure if its going to happen this year or next year please post info about this.

Cntrygal
03-23-2003, 10:22 AM
try here (http://www.billsfanzone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12994&highlight=playoffs)

WG
03-23-2003, 10:42 AM
That's a mistake!

Plus, if they do that, I'd wager any kind of money that they'd add an 8th team within 2 or 3 years. It would ruin the regular season just like it has in hockey.

I go to games b/c they're meaningful as opposed to hockey and NBA where as long as you're .500, and quite often below .500, you get into the playoffs.

Last season this move would have only allowed two 9-7 teams into the playoffs. The NFL playoffs used to mean more than that! If a 9-7 team were ever to win a SB, it would be a travesty.

In '01 it would have added 9-7 Seattle and 8-8 Washington, neither of which were playoff caliber teams.

In '99 it would have added 9-7 K.C. and either 8-8 Detroit, G.B., or Carolina, again, none of which were playoff caliber teams that year.

'98, the 8-8 Bucs or Giants, and then either 8-8 Tenn., Oak., or Seattle, ditto.

This is a bad move. It reduces the integrity of the NFL playoffs and part of what differentiates the league from the NBA and the NHL in terms of having a meaningful season.

I had trouble this past season "hoping to make the playoffs" at 9-7. That should be the absolute worst record that a team should have entering the playoffs and then it should only be a result of the failure of a conference to have 6 competitive teams and should be an anomaly, not a rule!

If they were to add an 8th, it would seriously affect the manner in which I would enjoy games.

WG
03-23-2003, 10:43 AM
All for what?

More money/revenue from one additional PO game...

:rolleyes:

Where did good old fashioned American integrity go in sports!

The Natrix
03-23-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
That's a mistake!

If a 9-7 team were ever to win a SB, it would be a travesty.

a travesty? No way. What if that team lost their first 6 and then after that they changed QBs or something and were all of the sudden a force.

going through the playoffs and winning the SB is a huge accomplishment, no matter what the team's regular season record was.

The Natrix
03-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Where did good old fashioned American integrity go in sports!

what?

WG
03-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix

a travesty? No way. What if that team lost their first 6 and then after that they changed QBs or something and were all of the sudden a force.

going through the playoffs and winning the SB is a huge accomplishment, no matter what the team's regular season record was.

OK!

And what if a team trades all it's players for those on the season prior's SB team!

Come on Natrix. What do you think the chances of that happening are?

As well, heck, even if it does, it's usually b/c some team bought all their players and it took half a season to gel. That's their problem, not something that should be encouraged.

BTW, that didn't happen to one of those teams that I mentioned above that would have made it.

Name for me all the teams over the last 20 years that dropped their first 6 and then won won 8 or 9 of their last 10.

I'll bet you you can count them on two fingers and that the ones that did it had a LOT more to do with schedule than with "talent coming together!"

:rolleyes:

The Natrix
03-23-2003, 11:48 AM
I may have over done it with the 6 losses thing but what about the jets last year? They started out what, 1-4, and could have easily ended up 9-7 and still have been favored (according to many) to beat the Raiders.

I just don't understand why a 9-7 team winning the superbowl is a "travesty"

especially if the Bills are not in the playoffs, isn't it more fun to watch the underdog win?

BillsOwnAll
03-23-2003, 02:40 PM
itd be good and bad.