PDA

View Full Version : Per NFL Network...Belicheck fined $500,000.

Nighthawk
09-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Whoopedy, dee, doo! Is Goodell serious??? This is how he intends on discouraging cheating? Umm, I don't think this will work...not even a little. What a joke.

SABURZFAN
09-13-2007, 07:35 PM
ESPN says the Pats are fined 250k and lose a 1st Round Rookie in 2008 if they make the playoffs too.

YardRat
09-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Not enough. Put the hammer down.

Nighthawk
09-13-2007, 07:37 PM
ESPN says the Pats are fined 250k and lose a 1st Round Rookie in 2008 if they make the playoffs too.

Hey, SABZ...where did you see that? I didn't see on their website?

lightningbolt444
09-13-2007, 07:38 PM
they need to lose a 3rd round no matter what and if they make the playoffs lose a 1st round as well then add in the fines and also bill a-hole should be suspended for the reamining of the year well at least the next three games

FlyingDutchman
09-13-2007, 07:39 PM

yup just heard it. theyll more than likely make the playoffs so losing a 1st rounder is good punishment. i still think they should have to take a loss for the 1ets game.

lightningbolt444
09-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey, SABZ...where did you see that? I didn't see on their website?

front page under breaking news

lightningbolt444
09-13-2007, 07:40 PM
if they dont make the playoffs they will lose their second and third if they do they will lose their first

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 07:41 PM
According to GR the Pats and Belichick are fined a combined 750K and lose unstated draft choices. Just heard.

Nighthawk
09-13-2007, 07:44 PM
yup just heard it. theyll more than likely make the playoffs so losing a 1st rounder is good punishment. i still think they should have to take a loss for the 1ets game.

That would be very good news. Now that is the type of punishment that will make a statement.

historypete
09-13-2007, 07:46 PM
And on the 8th day, the good lord, AKA Teddy Bruschi, came down from heaven and made it so the cheatin' Patriots would walk away unscathed.

What a joke. I understand the fines are the limit that can be imposed, but why not suspend Belicheck a few games (at least against us). This is not the first time this team has been accused of such a thing, and on top of that the League apparently sent out a letter to every team explaining videotaping was cheating, yet they did it anyway (I heard Clayton talking about it on ESPN News). I hope the hammer gets dropped tomorrow, and this is just an inital penalty.

Novacane
09-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Ha ha you stupid cheater Belicheck. It will be interesting to watch the pats now that they won't know what play the defense will be running against them.

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 07:50 PM
You do realize all this will do is make them hire someone to do the same thing but not use a camera, right? Stealing signs is nothing revolutionary nor new in sports.

Tatonka
09-13-2007, 07:50 PM
goodell should make BB blow him.

BAM
09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
500K seems like a significant fine for a coach to me... how much does Belicheat make per year?

The 250K fine to the Patriots organization seems kind of small though.

BTW, if they make the playoffs they lose a 1st rounder. They currently have two 1st Round picks next year.

If they don't make the playoffs, they lose their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I would've been a bit happier if he was suspended for a few games but this seems like a good start. I really doubt anybody gets caught doing this again.

Bling
09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
PWNED

Ebenezer
09-13-2007, 07:57 PM
guys, let't not overreact to what seems to be a light penalty...

The real key is the future...If BB cheats again the hammer will fall big time.

Mitchy moo
09-13-2007, 07:59 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20765334/

Meathead
09-13-2007, 08:02 PM
You do realize all this will do is make them hire someone to do the same thing but not use a camera, right? Stealing signs is nothing revolutionary nor new in sports.
um mcfly you do realize that having the vid to review during halftime makes the ability to interpret signals about ten thousand percent more effective right?

BAM
09-13-2007, 08:03 PM
“I specifically considered whether to impose a suspension on Coach Belichick,” Goodell wrote. “I have determined not to do so, largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension.” The commissioner informed the Patriots that their coaching video program would be closely reviewed and monitored by the league -effective immediately.

Nice. I may be the minority here, but I am fully satisfied with this decision.

Nighthawk
09-13-2007, 08:03 PM
guys, let't not overreact to what seems to be a light penalty...

The real key is the future...If BB cheats again the hammer will fall big time.

Hey EB, don't forget that BB has been warned a few time before, so this isn't a first time thing. I hope the reports we are hearing about a possible 1st rounder being in the punishment is true because nothing else will hit them as hard...besides taking away wins, which will never happen. Although BB is a great coach, he is a cheater and should be labeled as such the rest of his career. Also, the Pats will forever be known as a cheating organization, which makes me smile. However, I still believe they are one of best teams in the league.

BAM
09-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey EB, don't forget that BB has been warned a few time before, so this isn't a first time thing. I hope the reports we are hearing about a possible 1st rounder being in the punishment is true because nothing else will hit them as hard...besides taking away wins, which will never happen. Although BB is a great coach, he is a cheater and should be labeled as such the rest of his career. Also, the Pats will forever be known as a cheating organization, which makes me smile. However, I still believe they are one of best teams in the league.

It has been confirmed, over and over, on the NFL Network for the last hour or so.

Nighthawk
09-13-2007, 08:05 PM
“I specifically considered whether to impose a suspension on Coach Belichick,” Goodell wrote. “I have determined not to do so, largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension.” The commissioner informed the Patriots that their coaching video program would be closely reviewed and monitored by the league -effective immediately.

Oh, don't misunderstand me...I didn't see that the foreiture of picks (maybe a 1st) was included when I posted this thread. I am very please with the entire penalty that Goodell has handed down.

Mr. Pink
09-13-2007, 08:06 PM
um mcfly you do realize that having the vid to review during halftime makes the ability to interpret signals about ten thousand percent more effective right?

I didn't say it didn't make it more effective. What I'm saying is by doing this isn't going to change much. Teams will still do whatever they can to try and gain a competitive advantage by stealing signs.

The bigger issue to me on all this was reports of opposing teams driving and all of a sudden their headsets would inexplicably stop working. At least that should be stopped now.

YardRat
A suspension should have been included, on top of the fines and draft choices.

I hope every team that steps on the field against the Patriots this year takes with them the obligation to the rest of the league to kick their cheating asses up and down the field.

No way they go all the way, now.

Nighthawk
It has been confirmed, over and over, on the NFL Network for the last hour or so.

Bam, I said "a possible 1st" because if they don't make the playoffs, they don't lose a 1st. I know it has been confirmed.

BAM
09-13-2007, 08:07 PM
:beers:

and like Eb said, if this were to happen again I can't even imagine what the consequences might be. This is a great day.

Bling
09-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Guys I'm going to laugh it up if they go on a losing streak! Lose the next 10 games or something.

Nighthawk
09-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Guys I'm going to laugh it up if they go on a losing streak! Lose the next 10 games or something.

Wouldn't that be just like BB to do!?!? :cheers:

BAM
09-13-2007, 08:09 PM
A suspension should have been included, on top of the fines and draft choices.

I hope every team that steps on the field against the Patriots this year takes with them the obligation to the rest of the league to kick their cheating asses up and down the field.

No way they go all the way, now.

I agree there. The only thing that I would've liked to see was at least a game suspension. There's no reason Stalin.. err Goodell couldn't have added that extra topping but I'm happy nonetheless.

I guess we'll see over the rest of this season if the cheating actually helped them that much. I really hope they crash and burn.

Novacane
09-13-2007, 08:12 PM

I'm satisfied. When this story first broke I never would have guessed they were gonna lose a first round pick.

Ebenezer
09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
:beers:

and like Eb said, if this were to happen again I can't even imagine what the consequences might be. This is a great day.
and if there is more than just this one incident somebody will talk..and they will talk soon...the luster is now off BB and those championships...NE fans might even be a little ashamed. This isn't exactly a great day in NE history...their fans now know that the "great" BB has been knocked down a few pegs...fans of all other teams have lost any respect they had for him. All of their accomplishments are tarnished. Proof that they cheated to win SBs or not it is all up for discussion...if any further revelations come out about past events all bets are off.

X-Era
09-13-2007, 08:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80251b7e&template=without-video&confirm=true

750K total, 500K by Beli, 250K by the team. They lose a 2nd and 3rd if they dont make the playoffs, a 1st if they do.

HA HA!!!!!!!!!

Scummy dirtbag cheating SOB's

YardRat
09-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Not enough.

G Wolly
09-13-2007, 08:19 PM
I'd rather prefer forfeiting of the last 15 games. Atuomatically placing us in 3rd in the AFCE, and most likely to second with the Dolphins in third.

I'd love to see the Pats go 1-15

X-Era
09-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Not enough.
Agree

If Robert Kraft had any backbone he would fire him or suspend him himself.

He doesnt, Beli is too valuable blah, blah, blah . The entire team including front office is flaming pussys.

The best part is there will be lots and lots of bandwagon football fans that will now hate the cheatin Pats because of this.

Novacane
09-13-2007, 08:22 PM
...NE fans might even be a little ashamed. .

Maybe the classy ones like NE39 but not most of them. There was a poll on the Boston Globe website today asking what the punishment should be. The leading vote getter was no punishment at all.

BAM
09-13-2007, 08:22 PM
and if there is more than just this one incident somebody will talk..and they will talk soon...the luster is now off BB and those championships...NE fans might even be a little ashamed. This isn't exactly a great day in NE history...their fans now know that the "great" BB has been knocked down a few pegs...fans of all other teams have lost any respect they had for him. All of their accomplishments are tarnished. Proof that they cheated to win SBs or not it is all up for discussion...if any further revelations come out about past events all bets are off.

I know for certain one Pats fan that is not taking it so well. I work with a guy who moved here from Boston and I mentioned this whole scam to him today (I had to.. haha) and he just shook his head as if to say "I dunno...", looked down at his construction drawings, face turning bright red, and didn't say another word the rest of the day.

Leaving the office at the end of the day I walked by him and said have a great evening, blah blah blah... No response. He's taking it very badly. I think he may actually be pissed at me about it.

It's just like most of the Boston area fans I've had the pleasure of meeting though. They can dish it out, but can't receive it. Sure, just a couple weeks ago he had no problem getting on me about my Orioles giving up 30 runs to the Rangers, then getting no-hit and then giving up 17 runs to the worst team in the league (D-Rays) all within the same 1-2 weeks. But one shot at their holier-than-thou teams and he starts crying. It's pathetic sometimes.

casdhf
09-13-2007, 08:32 PM
A half million bucks is alot of money.

Ebenezer
09-13-2007, 08:33 PM
I know for certain one Pats fan that is not taking it so well. I work with a guy who moved here from Boston and I mentioned this whole scam to him today (I had to.. haha) and he just shook his head as if to say "I dunno...", looked down at his construction drawings, face turning bright red, and didn't say another word the rest of the day.

Leaving the office at the end of the day I walked by him and said have a great evening, blah blah blah... No response. He's taking it very badly. I think he may actually be pissed at me about it.

It's just like most of the Boston area fans I've had the pleasure of meeting though. They can dish it out, but can't receive it. Sure, just a couple weeks ago he had no problem getting on me about my Orioles giving up 30 runs to the Rangers, then getting no-hit and then giving up 17 runs to the worst team in the league (D-Rays) all within the same 1-2 weeks. But one shot at their holier-than-thou teams and he starts crying. It's pathetic sometimes.
exactly...how would Bills fans feel if we found out in retrospect that Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley and Steve Tasker were pumping steroids, Jim Kelly and Andre Reed were provided copies of the opponents playbook and the team was videotaping other teams signals...I am not saying that those things didn't/don't happen but as fans many of us would be quite disappointed.

BAM
09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Yup. I was pissed beyond all belief when I found out Palmeiro was a user. He's been dead to me ever since.

casdhf
09-13-2007, 08:36 PM
A mustache like that doesn't grow naturally

SquishDaFish
09-13-2007, 09:05 PM
I still think they should cut Bradys right hand off lol

X-Era
09-13-2007, 09:10 PM
I still think they should cut Bradys right hand off lol

Then how would he do reach arounds on Lance Bass?

G. Host
09-13-2007, 09:25 PM
500K seems like a significant fine for a coach to me... how much does Belicheat make per year?

He had two years and $8 million remaining on his pact (with the devil).

Significant but not too much since part of the reason he earn that much is because of the wins which can be partly credited with cheating.

The 250K fine to the Patriots organization seems kind of small though.

Extremely small. Made up by getting one playoff game.

BTW, if they make the playoffs they lose a 1st rounder. They currently have two 1st Round picks next year.

I would've been a bit happier if he was suspended for a few games but this seems like a good start. I really doubt anybody gets caught doing this again.

I agree. They will just get better at hiding it.

doomsdayvirus
09-13-2007, 09:48 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1249/1376497726_48c7fb94fe_o.jpg

TheBrownBear
09-13-2007, 10:03 PM
I think the punishment was just about right. $500k is a decent chunk of change for a coach to hand over and the loss of a 1st rounder is a legit hit to the organization. This is a pretty big penalty for a "first offender." (i know, i know, he's probably been cheatin forever, but this is the first time he's been caught)

If they catch him bending the rules again, I could see a one year suspension coming from Goodell.

JD
09-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Not enough.

paladin warrior
09-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Whoopedy, dee, doo! Is Goodell serious??? This is how he intends on discouraging cheating? Umm, I don't think this will work...not even a little. What a joke. yeah that true.. Goodell should put NE patriots Lost 6 game.

raphael120
09-13-2007, 10:49 PM
It's the perfect storm.

Patriots start sucking because they can't cheat anymore.
Jets suck because Pennington is injured.
Miami...well, they just stink.

Now if the Bills can just do their part, we could overtake the division! Haha.

ddaryl
09-14-2007, 03:47 AM
that should be an automatic forfeit.

If they chaeated they automatically lose the game against the Jets... and fine him 500K

If there is no forfeit then the I'm a little pissed.

shelby
09-14-2007, 04:09 AM
i am satisfied, but a suspension would have been nice too.

Night Train
09-14-2007, 04:22 AM
I'll like it come next April. They had two 1st round picks in this next draft.

If they make the playoffs,which seems likely, one of them is gone.

Mr. Miyagi
09-14-2007, 06:41 AM
Slap on the wrist. I'm disgusted big time.

mybills
09-14-2007, 07:26 AM
They currently have two 1st Round picks next year.

They have two 3rd round picks, too.

njsue
09-14-2007, 08:03 AM
This approach is just weak. :shakeno:

SpanishBill
09-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't get why players who are caught cheating for using banned substances get suspensions (Merriman, etc), but not this guy. It's even more difficult for me to understand why a coordinator who's using banned substances to fight a sickness gets a suspension, but BB justs gets fined (a nice fine thou)...

Man, I wanna be like BB.

blackonyx89
09-14-2007, 11:27 AM
BelliCHEAT should be suspended a game or two!!!

njsue
09-14-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't get why players who are caught cheating for using banned substances get suspensions (Merriman, etc), but not this guy. It's even more difficult for me to understand why a coordinator who's using banned substances to fight a sickness gets a suspension, but BB justs gets fined (a nice fine thou)...

Man, I wanna be like BB.

I believe in this what ever comes around goes around!!!

njsue
09-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Ladamian Tomlinson will bite Bellyache & the pats right in the ass this sunday!!!

dplus47
09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Slap on the wrist. I'm disgusted big time.

considering they've been caught doing this already, i fully agree with you.

Michael82
09-14-2007, 12:40 PM
considering they've been caught doing this already, i fully agree with you.
That's exactly it. If this wasn't their first time, I might feel that the punishment fits. But it's not. They have been busted before! At the very least, Belichick should have been suspended for 1 game. Plus the fine is a load of ****! $250,000 for the pats?!?! Come on! That should be a $25 million fine! As for the draft picks, I'm thrilled that they are going to lose a 1st rounder, but they should have lost both of them. Or they should have lost a 1st and a 2nd.

JD
09-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah really... how do they not forfeit the game vs. the Jets?

Unreal!
:angry:

Ingtar33
09-14-2007, 07:06 PM
the pats have 2 first rounders next year. this penalty is a slap on the wrist.

a harder one then i expected, but still a slap on the wrist.

Michael82
09-14-2007, 07:12 PM
the pats have 2 first rounders next year. this penalty is a slap on the wrist.

a harder one then i expected, but still a slap on the wrist.
Exactly! It's definitely a slap on the wrist and the fine is laughable!