PDA

View Full Version : All-Or-Nothing Offensive Strategy

Throne Logic
09-13-2007, 10:34 PM
For years now the Buffalo Bills have been relying on the big play to generate offense. I would agree that the big play can be quite exciting. Its the bread and butter of every highlight reel and pumps up the stats for both QB and WR. The problem is, that's not a good way to run an offense.

The "all-or-nothing" theory is just not a sound foundation for NFL football gameplanning. The Bills have become so reliant upon the big play that they actually went to the "all-or-nothing" bomb ball as their fall-back option on 3rd in 5 with three minutes left and the lead in the Denver game. That's just not good. Most teams have a nice simple fall-back option play designed for a 5 yard gain.

The long ball to Evans was the most consistently effective play in our 2006 offense. That should really tell us something. Especially when you consider that this relatively effective bombing didn't serve to open up the run game. Teams are often willing to risk giving up the one or two TD's off that big-play long ball because they realize that the success rate is severely limited, even with the Bills. They also recognize that their own offenses, working with Time of Possessions in the 40 to 50 minute ranges, will have plenty of time and a damn good chance of putting up more than 20 points against us. It doesn't even matter if Buffalo plays a poor offensive team. You give any NFL offense enough possessions and they will score points against you. Especially when your defense begins to wear down from simply being on the field all night.

I would like to see Evans more involved with the short and mid range passing offense. Heck, I'd like to see anyone in a Bills uniform involved in it. This team MUST find a way to control the ball on offense. For years, they have been unable to demonstrate any sort of ability to march down the field. Yet, week in and week out, we painfully watch every decent opposing offense do this very thing to our Bills. It's that 10 minute, 20 play drive that that builds up a team's confidence and momentum while simultaneously grinding the life out of their foe. The Bills just can't seem to do it. As soon as they begin to develop some sort of strong drive, they either shoot themselves in the foot with a dumb penalty or they get overexcited and go for broke. This is just not an encouraging way to run an NFL offense.

I want short slants. I want skinny posts. I want screen passes - hell, of all the teams to be using the screen, this should be one of them. The Bills try to run the ball enough times that they could at least attempt some play actions. I realize that an ineffective run game lessens the potential effect of the play action. However, JP is particularly good at it. What would it hurt to try? Cripes, I'll even settle for that rediculous shovel pass that Denver kept running on Sunday. We can probably skip the option, although with JP running it, it might occasionally be effective.

Anything that gains 4 yards in a single down is good. Especially on first down. A four yard pass play shouldn't be a problem. Quick slants and short routes would do it. Teams do it against us all the time. Once you get your drive rolling with the short passes, the running game should open up just a little bit so Lynch might actually see a crack here and there for him to run through.

I a nutshell, I'm just sick and tired of the all-or-nothing offensive approach.

raphael120
09-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Great observations, great post. Fully agree. it's the same stuff we were looking for last year when the coaches were "handcuffing" JP.

Elminster
09-14-2007, 12:18 AM
I hear you man. I think it's part of the reason why we've had a revolving door of QBs...and, for that matter, running backs, when compared to basically any successful NFL franchise. The best plan for our current offense, IMO, involves the following...

1)Give the ball to Marshawn. The kid is a beast, and I doubt there'll be any defense that will hold up for four quarters with a steady diet of Marshawn coming at them. Oh, and keep A-Train the hell off the field. He looked decent when compared to McGahee, but now....

2)Screens. And by screens, I mean, NOT WR screens. The WR screen we run seems to be doomed from the start no matter who we're playing. The more we get Marshawn the ball, the better.

3)Move JP around. He's got great legs, why aren't we using them? A few roll-outs, bootlegs, and even an option or two would really liven up our offense.

4)Slants. Easy to throw, great potential for YAC with our speedy receivers. All the routes we have them run now seem to result in them being smothered. We need to run plays that give them a chance to run(even Josh. He may not be as fast as the others, but he runs like a frigging power back.)

5)We should still take shots down the field. IMO, it is part of a balanced offensive style and we are very good at it, though we should avoid it if the defense isn't well-rested, and put more emphasis on picking up first downs.

Personally, I think it's symptomatic of OCs trying to fit the players already on the roster into their pre-conceived schemes. Can't we get an OC who can actual design a scheme around the talent we already have?

Lexwhat
09-14-2007, 12:21 AM
I wonder if this team has even heard of a screen pass.

TacklingDummy
09-14-2007, 06:17 AM
I wonder if this team has even heard of a screen pass.

They tried one last week. JP was intercepted.

Wraith
09-14-2007, 07:34 AM
They tried like 8 last week. Some were succesful, like the 14 yarder to Parrish and the 19 yarder to Josh Reed. Most went for a yard or two (Price and Evans) and were pretty poorly setup. One to Royal was an interception.

RedEyE
09-14-2007, 07:48 AM

Tried one? They tried one nearly every drive and it was fubar'd each time. They have to do something to set up the screen...and that's go long, stretch the defense. The Broncos didn't fall for it once.

mybills
09-14-2007, 07:51 AM
They? I thought it was JP calling all the plays?
Make up your mind.

bocephuz
09-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Exactly... real qb's in the NFL can consistently take a 3 step drop and gun the 7-8 yd slant route in against tight coverage. Once or twice a game ain't gonna cut it. Look at Cutler ....How many times did we see him take his 3 step drop and force it into tight spots to his primary receiver without hesitating. Reed and Parrish seem to be developing pretty well as slot receivers... time for the team and Losman to have a little faith in them and start throwing those routes. Gun the ball in there and let 'em make a play. ..Grow some balls...

The thing that frustrates me is that I can't figure out if it's the coaches who are not emphasizing this or if it's JP who is avoiding those routes.

Mahdi
09-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Exactly... real qb's in the NFL can consistently take a 3 step drop and gun the 7-8 yd slant route in against tight coverage. Once or twice a game ain't gonna cut it. Look at Cutler ....How many times did we see him take his 3 step drop and force it into tight spots to his primary receiver without hesitating. Reed and Parrish seem to be developing pretty well as slot receivers... time for the team and Losman to have a little faith in them and start throwing those routes. Gun the ball in there and let 'em make a play. ..Grow some balls...

The thing that frustrates me is that I can't figure out if it's the coaches who are not emphasizing this or if it's JP who is avoiding those routes.
I think JP can hit that route but with Evans heavily covered that left no one on our WR corps that is suited for 7-8 yard slants. Look at the throw JP made to Reed on that slant where Reed caught it and got killed, although he held on for a great catch you can't throw smaller receivers to the dogs like that too often. Cutler was doing it all day because he has 6'4 230 LB Marshall and 6'3 215 LB Walker who create such a large throwing window it makes for an easy target. Maybe our 1st rounder next year should be a bigger WR???

Oh and I can't wait for the day to see Buffalo run the screen play with success. EVERYONE runs is on us but for as long as I can remember we have never been able to execute that play. With Peters, Dockery, and Fowler you'd think it would be a great play for us.

One thing I am really happy to see FINALLY working for us is the toss plays. That has been dead in Buffalo as well but that seems to be a great play for us now. If you have the tape watch it in slow mo and pay attention to Peters and Fowler. Peters destroys his man and Fowler is IMPRESSIVE getting around the edge and taking out his man. Nice to see.

Night Train
09-14-2007, 10:57 AM
There's a lot of truth to what you say, TL.

It may be the prime reason #5 was drafted this past spring.

Throne Logic
09-14-2007, 01:42 PM

Take a closer look at that play. That was a screen to the TE. What was missed by everyone, including anouncers and refs, was that there was absolutely GROSS HOLDING on that play. I replayed it a dozen times trying to figure out how no one noticed it.

Not that JP didn't make a bad toss, but if the defender didn't use Royal as a spring board he might not have gotten to that ball.

Throne Logic
09-14-2007, 01:42 PM
They tried like 8 last week. Some were succesful, like the 14 yarder to Parrish and the 19 yarder to Josh Reed. Most went for a yard or two (Price and Evans) and were pretty poorly setup. One to Royal was an interception.

This is what Elim. meant by "not to the WR". Lynch needs to be catching these.

G. Host
09-14-2007, 05:38 PM
JP is not a great short ball thrower which is part of the reason they rely on it. They also have to please the fair weather fans who don't show when they keep playing the short passing, in control game.

YardRat
09-14-2007, 06:33 PM
A successful intermediate passing game is much more effective in setting up the long ball than the running game.

Buffalo's been a two-trick pony for the better part of the last two-plus seasons....run the ball or go long.