PDA

View Full Version : Numminen suspended by Sabres

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-14-2007, 12:00 AM
The Buffalo Sabres have suspended Teppo Numminen after it was revealed the veteran defenseman will require heart surgery, The Buffalo News has learned.

Numminen was suspended for failing to report to training camp in adequate physical condition, a move the team declined to announce publicly at Thursday's news conference.

"The NHLPA was notified today that the Buffalo Sabres have elected to suspend Teppo Numminen without pay," NHL Players Association spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon told The News. "We are currently reviewing this matter."

Numminen, 39, signed a one-year contract this summer worth $2.6 million. Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier said the guaranteed contract was not insured, meaning the club would be responsible for the entire amount had it not suspended him.

"My reaction?" Numminen said of being suspended. "It's not high on my list of things to worry about right now."

For the latest Sabres information, see Friday's edition of The Buffalo News.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/162294.html

this is low blow the guy has a heart problem how is he supposed to show up to training camp healthy :idunno:

qcsabresfan84
09-14-2007, 12:18 AM
I don't really think this is a low blow. It's just business protocol. There is certainly nothing personal involved. Once this medical problem is taken care of the suspension will be lifted. The same thing happened earlier this week with Scotty Niedermeyer, which wasn't health related, but is still a similar situation.

Ebenezer
09-14-2007, 12:19 AM
The Buffalo Sabres have suspended Teppo Numminen after it was revealed the veteran defenseman will require heart surgery, The Buffalo News has learned.

Numminen was suspended for failing to report to training camp in adequate physical condition, a move the team declined to announce publicly at Thursday's news conference.

"The NHLPA was notified today that the Buffalo Sabres have elected to suspend Teppo Numminen without pay," NHL Players Association spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon told The News. "We are currently reviewing this matter."

Numminen, 39, signed a one-year contract this summer worth $2.6 million. Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier said the guaranteed contract was not insured, meaning the club would be responsible for the entire amount had it not suspended him.

"My reaction?" Numminen said of being suspended. "It's not high on my list of things to worry about right now."

For the latest Sabres information, see Friday's edition of The Buffalo News.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/162294.html

this is low blow the guy has a heart problem how is he supposed to show up to training camp healthy :idunno:
I believe this was addressed by Darcy this morning...and if I am wrong I apology, I had just woken up...it was a procedural move - they didn't really have a choice it isn't a low blow. I am going to bet that they had to do it to keep his salary cap money open.

RockStar36
09-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Sounded a little low at first but upon further review I don't think it is. They really had no choice in the matter. And didn't he have the whole off-season to get looked at? Also, how does this affect the cap?