X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Is it possible that...

The injuries to Webster, Ellison and Wire will actually benefit this team? Of course no one wishes injury on anyone but it has opened doors for so many good things in the NFL. See Brady and Bledsoe OR Green and Warner for example.

IMO the insertion of Youboty and DiGorgio into the line-up means that better players are now on the field for us then we would have had without injuries. I like the fact that DiG is fast yet also aggressive and is clearly a smart player, while Youboty is bigger, stronger, faster and more talented than Webster. I also like the fact that he is from THE Ohio State U. CBs from there havent let us down so far, and Youboty also looks more aggressive than Webster which has been missing since Nate left.

Also interesting is Leonard. Ppl are always raving about how smart he is and that he's a playmaker. Well, he did place himself well for that pick AND he led the team in tackles with 13. That's pretty good, but im not ready to say that he has more potential than Ko, not even close. But you never know, right.

I'm looking forward to seeing this unit play on sunday. Should be interesting.

Is anyone else liking this starting D more than the one on opening day?
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: Is it possible that...

I definitely agree about Youboty. I think he's the corner of the future and that he's ready to get on the field. No better way to learn. Webster was a stop-gap at best, and that gap was officially stopped on Sunday. As for the other two, especially Ellison, I'm not sure I agree but I see where you're coming from.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Youboty is a real talent who simply lacks game experience, and DiGiorgio is a fast, aggressive LB who gave Poz a good battle for the starting MLB spot in camp.

We lose something with Simpson, but Leonhard is a very smart, instinctive player who won't hurt us much.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• RockStar36
        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
        • Sep 2004

I'm not sure about everyone because I hated watching Simpson go down. I was really looking forward to seeing what he can do. And I'm excited to see Youboty starting. IMO he should have been starting last week and he is the next starting Bills CB.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

I'm not nervous with most any change on D.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

I think Leonard in place of Simpson is going to be ugly!! Everything else will probably be a plus. Yobouty is already better than Webster.

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
              I think Leonard in place of Simpson is going to be ugly!! Everything else will probably be a plus. Yobouty is already better than Webster.
              I dont know about it being ugly. Leonard looks like he can play and has a nose for the ball and that was always the scouting report on him. He also fills against the run well. All of Denver's passing yardage was had on slants which is more the responsibility of CBs and LBs, Leonard just has to to show that he has good range.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                It sure didn't turn out that way last sunday but could be when he has to cover taller/talented players. His intelligence may not help him against jump balls.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Night Train
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                  I dont know about it being ugly. Leonard looks like he can play and has a nose for the ball and that was always the scouting report on him. He also fills against the run well. All of Denver's passing yardage was had on slants which is more the responsibility of CBs and LBs, Leonard just has to to show that he has good range.
                  He had 21 INT's at Wisconsin.

You can knock his size but not his nose for the ball. You don't get that many INT's by accident in a top shelf program.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Coach Sal
                    • Aug 2006

For all the complaining people do about the Bills "cash to cap" philosophy and the fact that they are "cheap," one of the things that happens as a result of a philosophy like that is that the team doesn't have a lot of drop-off from the starter to his backup in most cases.

A team like Washington, that spends boat-loads of $$ on free agents who obviously have to start has so much money invested in the stater that they can't afford to have many capable backups. So, when they have an injury, it could very well be a major drop-off in talent to the guy who replaces him.

The Bills obviously don't spend that kind of money, which causes them to lack a lot of star power and have less-talented starters than many other teams in the league at many positions.

But it also gives them a chance to have backup players who aren't really much of a drop-off (in many cases/positions) when an injury occurs. That may not mean much if both the starter and backup suck, but at least it gives them an ability to fill a void with a similarly talented player.
                    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• casdhf
                      • Jul 2002

Had the WR ran the correct route Leohnard's INT would have been a TD.
                      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• madness
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
                        He had 21 INT's at Wisconsin.

You can knock his size but not his nose for the ball. You don't get that many INT's by accident in a top shelf program.
                        If that translates in any way, shape or form over to him starting, I love him already.

Ko who?

Comment

• madness
                          • Apr 2003

Actually now that I think about it...

I remember an article saying that Leonhard was one of the smartest players on the team and that he knows the defense better then anyone.

This actually might work out for the better with him being behind Youboty. He'll know AY's limitations and should be in the right spot to capitalize on those opportunities. He may even be the right safety to also help AY progress.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by casdhf
                            Had the WR ran the correct route Leohnard's INT would have been a TD.
                            It was a pick because Cutler back-footed the throw like he did so many times in that game except this time Leonard expected it and stepped in.

Comment

• Night Train
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by madness
                              If that translates in any way, shape or form over to him starting, I love him already.

Ko who?
                              He reminds me a bit of Mark Kelso or Steve Freeman. Small, fair athlete but makes up for it in brains.

Comment

Working...
                              X