PDA

View Full Version : Buying the Refs

Hammertime
09-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Does the Pats getting caught red handed reignite suspicions about curious officiating? Remember "just give it to them", the tuck rule, and many teams' complaints about holding non calls?

This team deserves a big asteric next to their SB wins.

mikemac2001
09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Does the Pats getting caught red handed reignite suspicions about curious officiating? Remember "just give it to them", the tuck rule, and many teams' complaints about holding non calls?

IT obviously questions the teams moral values if they spy then they likely could have paid refs off

OpIv37
09-14-2007, 01:42 PM

I have yet to see any real evidence that the Pats did that, however it does seem like a trend of extremely unlikely lucky coincidences for them.

The big difference: Before this past week, complaints about the officiating seemed like sour grapes by disgruntled Bills, Colts, Jets, etc fans who are whining because their team couldn't beat the Patriots. Now, any such allegations would be taken seriously.

But, I think bribing the officials is another whole level of impropriety. It's one thing for a jackass coach who is maniacally obsessed with winning to do seedy things to help ensure a victory. It's another thing for refs to be on the take and destroy the credibility of the entire league.

bflojohn
09-14-2007, 01:53 PM
The real problem with letting Pandora out of her box, is that the conspiritorial types will come along and throw everyone into the vortex of the storm!! I am NOT going to cast a wary eye toward the officials until evidence leans to a scandal occuring. No sooner, no later!! Their still may be fallout from the NBA's little mess however, so the skeptics can obviously have a field day. Here's hoping that the integrity of the NFL is tarnished no further!!

Hammertime
09-14-2007, 03:27 PM
I have yet to see any real evidence that the Pats did that, however it does seem like a trend of extremely unlikely lucky coincidences for them.

The big difference: Before this past week, complaints about the officiating seemed like sour grapes by disgruntled Bills, Colts, Jets, etc fans who are whining because their team couldn't beat the Patriots. Now, any such allegations would be taken seriously.

But, I think bribing the officials is another whole level of impropriety. It's one thing for a jackass coach who is maniacally obsessed with winning to do seedy things to help ensure a victory. It's another thing for refs to be on the take and destroy the credibility of the entire league.

For once i agree with you Op. It would be extremely difficult to rig a football game via the officials, though its not as if that's never happened. I just think the improprieties recently discovered go much deeper than the Jets game and, hopefully, the days of hailing Bill Belicheck as "the Genius" are over. How good of a coach is he? and how good has this Patriots "dynasty" really been?

Ingtar33
09-14-2007, 07:11 PM
i don't think anyone was surprised by the NBA thing.

that league been run by gangsters since the late 60's

Meathead
09-14-2007, 07:19 PM
i think george bush coordinated paying off the refs for the patriots

Nighthawk
09-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I think you have to wonder about NE's ability to get almost all the crucial calls over the last few seasons. They cheated in one aspect of the game, it's not hard to believe that they would do it in another area.

YardRat
09-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Pretty serious to implicate the refs. At most, it may lead to someone investigating the possibility, seeing if NE got more favorable calls if a particular ref was doing their game, or something along that line.

I think Goodell would send a nice message by personally attending the SD this weekend...let the Patriots know that someone is going to continue to monitor their actions.

Typ0
09-14-2007, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see crooked refs...they are part time after all. I've been saying for years there is serious problems with the officials crew. And now I am also starting to think there is serious problems with gambling in all ranks of the league. Not just the refs but players and coaches. If you think about it...how easy is it for a coach to install a game plan that really increases the odds of the over/under going the way they want? I hope I'm alive to read the book!

DynaPaul
09-15-2007, 07:09 AM
One name can propel the argument for the paying off the refs:

Walt Coleman