• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Zone Original: Bryan Ault

As a Bills fan, I feel simultaneously angered and vindicated by the news about the Patriots stealing signals from other teams. I feel vindicated because the Patriots are in our division and we play them twice a year. They’ve won seven consecutive games against us because something ALWAYS seems to go their way at a critical point in the game: a turnover, a well-timed blitz, a bomb against one-on-one coverage, a penalty, etc. There is definitely some talent on that team, but talent alone does not account for so many good things happening to one team. The Patriots always seemed to have a competitive advantage and we finally know why: stealing coaching signals. They were (and are) better the Bills, but the gap is not nearly as big as it seems. NFL fans outside the AFC East are finally starting to see the Patriots for what they really are.

Thoughts on the Patriots Scandal
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Re: Zone Original: Bryan Ault

Comment

• Cntrygal
      Visually stunning but camera-shy.
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon
      The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

Good job, OpIv!
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Nicely written article Bryan!

I'm not sure how much what the Pats were doing helped on gamedays. I've wasted a ton of time beating this to death in a forum with some very plugged-in and connected people, and that debate rages on.

For example, just about all of the Pats points came after confiscation in this past game. So did it help in that game, last weekend's game vs. the Jets?

While I'm sure that Belichick is lying somewhere in there, I tend to believe him when he says that the taping was not for the games in which they were playing. That being said, that is not to say that it is not an advantage down the line in subsequent games, but the argument there is that for which teams? It stands to reason that the greatest utility there would be against divisional teams that the Pats played twice annually.

Clearly they didn't need to "cheat" to beat the Lions, or even likely us to be frank, yet the Lions are one team crying foul. But it's safe to say that if Vikings, Niners, and Cards could beat the Lions last year, then the Pats wouldn't have had too much trouble.

Not defending BB at all, and in fact, IMO he should have received a 4-game suspension and lost a day two pick as well. 1st and 4th, the top of each day.

As I expressed to our group, I just have to wonder how much use actual tape has on gamedays. It has to be reviewed after the first quarter, the signals all relayed to the appropriate people, Brady or whomever. Then in the seconds between the time that either opposing D or O plays are called, along with fake signal callers in there too, that person then has to get his own play in, and still pay attention to the other team's calls, make all the advantageous adjustments at the line, etc.

It would take some incredibly sharp people constantly mentally 360-degrees alert, to do all that. When one factors in the errors due to misreads or other, I do think that it's questionable as to how much BB's tactics would help for that particular given game.

I also unfortunately think that this development has further ramifications for the NFL down the road.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
            I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
            • Sep 2004

Good work Opi, you are da man!!

Bull**** Booolichick and the NE farts!!!!!
            The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
              • Aug 2005

great work Op!!!

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Excellent article, Bryan!

Comment

Working...