PDA

View Full Version : Dallas assistant wants Goodell to explain Belichick's punishment

lordofgun
09-15-2007, 08:59 AM
In his first comments since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell punished coach Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nwe) for cheating without banning him from coaching in games, Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said he intends to write a letter to the league office seeking an explanation for what he considers inconsistent enforcement of NFL policy.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0901/nfl_w_wilson_65.jpg Wilson

Wilson also said he might attempt to determine whether he can appeal his five-game suspension.
"I would say there is definitely a double standard being applied here," Wilson said Friday when reached at his home near the team's practice facility. "I don't want to be seen as a crybaby or as someone questioning the commissioner's decision, but I see some major inconsistencies here.
"To me, they're holding the organization accountable instead of the person."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3019472

Dozerdog
09-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Would Wilson rather pay half a million dollars and lose a 1st rounder?

If he wants equal punishment, he can have it. Granted- I thought he was treated harshly for what he did but BB is getting a worse deal. Belichick missing games from the sideline would not have as big an impact.

If Brady & Moss were lost for the season due to injury and the Pats tanked, you would actually help the Pats out by suspending BB - they would finish with an even higher draft pick. I like what Goodell did in this situation

RedEyE
09-15-2007, 09:36 AM
I really don't think that Wilson has a leg to stand on here. The substance he was using (or abusing-whatever the case maybe) is an NFL band substance - point blank.

Regardless of Wilson's "claims" to be using it for medicinal purposes, if a player has a medical condition that requires the use of a band substance they immediately are entitled to inform the league. Why would coaches not be held in the same regard?

And besides, Wilson was typically "self-diagnosing" and the inteference of the league might have actually saved his life being that the drug he was taking serioulsy degrades and elevates insulin levels and Wilson is a known diabetic! It's obvious to me looking at the guiy that he wasn't using it to increase his physique....but, I'm almost certain he was using it for an Erectile Dysfunction as the drug is also known to "inflate" the "deflated".

I agree with Dozer here.

don137
09-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I think what some does not seem fair is that the team does not suffer for their actions this season. If Bellichick leaves at the end of the season the Patriots of the future it impacts and Bellichick does not get hurt by the loss of the draft pick even though he broke the rule. Wilson is paying a price for his actions immediately where the Patriots punishment has no effect on this year. I am not saying I agree with it I am just presenting the side as to why some do not think it is fair.

PECKERWOOD
09-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Stupid.

The difference is simple.. A coach taking HGH doesn't affect how his players perform on the field. A coach blatantly using technology to steal opposing team signals, DOES benefit his players on the field.

Mitchy moo
09-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Stupid.

The difference is simple.. A coach taking HGH doesn't affect how his players perform on the field. A coach blatantly using technology to steal opposing team signals, DOES benefit his players on the field.

WTF does the HGH the coach is taking have to do with his players performance? Why are they testing the coaches anyways, they need all the help they can get. HGH might trim BB fat azz up, lord knows that hoodie is bulging.

PECKERWOOD
09-15-2007, 01:53 PM
WTF does the HGH the coach is taking have to do with his players performance? Why are they testing the coaches anyways, they need all the help they can get. HGH might trim BB fat azz up, lord knows that hoodie is bulging.

:scratch: followed by :lolabove:

Typ0
09-15-2007, 01:55 PM
it's always been unclear to me who would be at fault in NE. It is the organization that was cheating because you can't really tell who was on board with it. With drugs, it's pretty clear the individual is the one that made the decision. Plus, both the organization and BB were punished in NE.

Mr. Cynical
09-15-2007, 02:07 PM
it's always been unclear to me who would be at fault in NE. It is the organization that was cheating because you can't really tell who was on board with it. With drugs, it's pretty clear the individual is the one that made the decision. Plus, both the organization and BB were punished in NE.

I don't think it is that unclear. As the head coach, Belicheat is the one who would be looking at the tapes so he must have ordered the kid to take the shots (or at least allowed the OC/DC to make it happen, which is the same thing). That's why he didn't have the ability to throw someone else under the bus to avoid blame. It was his fault.

As for Wade's offense, his actions had *zero* impact on the players and the game. He's a coach, not a player, so he could bench 5,000 lbs and it wouldn't make a bit of difference on the game's outcome. Granted he knew it was illegal (even though I think it is a dumb rule for coaches), and should be punished. But getting docked 33% of your salary vs. 12.5% is way unbalanced. In addition to the fine, since $500K is the max, Belicheat should have been smacked with the 5 game suspension WITHOUT pay.

Given how good the Pats are the single 2nd/3rd draft pick isn't likely to do much at all so that's a joke. So is $250K to someone like Kraft.

So all in all, the lovefest continues. This was a slap on the wrist. Wade got punched in the face.

chernobylwraiths
09-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Would Wilson rather pay half a million dollars and lose a 1st rounder?

If he wants equal punishment, he can have it. Granted- I thought he was treated harshly for what he did but BB is getting a worse deal. Belichick missing games from the sideline would not have as big an impact.

If Brady & Moss were lost for the season due to injury and the Pats tanked, you would actually help the Pats out by suspending BB - they would finish with an even higher draft pick. I like what Goodell did in this situation

Dumb. A guy who makes over 4 million can much more afford a fine that large compaired to a guy who only makes a few hundred thousand. The first round pick won't hurt much either considering they are going to get a better first rounder in the draft than the one they will be giving up.

Typ0
09-16-2007, 02:02 AM
I don't think it is that unclear. As the head coach, Belicheat is the one who would be looking at the tapes so he must have ordered the kid to take the shots (or at least allowed the OC/DC to make it happen, which is the same thing). That's why he didn't have the ability to throw someone else under the bus to avoid blame. It was his fault.

As for Wade's offense, his actions had *zero* impact on the players and the game. He's a coach, not a player, so he could bench 5,000 lbs and it wouldn't make a bit of difference on the game's outcome. Granted he knew it was illegal (even though I think it is a dumb rule for coaches), and should be punished. But getting docked 33% of your salary vs. 12.5% is way unbalanced. In addition to the fine, since $500K is the max, Belicheat should have been smacked with the 5 game suspension WITHOUT pay.

Given how good the Pats are the single 2nd/3rd draft pick isn't likely to do much at all so that's a joke. So is $250K to someone like Kraft.

So all in all, the lovefest continues. This was a slap on the wrist. Wade got punched in the face.

how do you know someone else in the Pats organization didn't come up with the scheme they used to cheat and Kraft didn't OK it telling BB that's how they were going to do business? In Wade's case, it was his body with the HGH in it. There is no question who gave the go ahead there.

Typ0
09-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Dumb. A guy who makes over 4 million can much more afford a fine that large compaired to a guy who only makes a few hundred thousand. The first round pick won't hurt much either considering they are going to get a better first rounder in the draft than the one they will be giving up.

maybe you should look at what's more valuable to BB....half a million or a few weeks off the sidelines. I really think it's screwed up how people are looking at personal responsibility and the responsibility of the organization here. Half a million fine falls on BB personally. His being suspended would fall on the organization. And then in another breath BB is the one responsible. Which is it? The NFL can't tell which party is responsible so they punished both. The organization will pay a fine and lose a draft pick. BB will pay a fine. A BB suspension would punish the patriots not BB.

Mr. Cynical
09-16-2007, 03:03 AM
how do you know someone else in the Pats organization didn't come up with the scheme they used to cheat and Kraft didn't OK it telling BB that's how they were going to do business? In Wade's case, it was his body with the HGH in it. There is no question who gave the go ahead there.

Seems to me if he was innocent, he would have fought against the ruling. Instead he's saying "it's history...time to move on". Heck if all I lost was 12.5% of my salary for cheating at my job I'd want to move on pretty fast as well.

chernobylwraiths
09-16-2007, 07:12 AM
maybe you should look at what's more valuable to BB....half a million or a few weeks off the sidelines. I really think it's screwed up how people are looking at personal responsibility and the responsibility of the organization here. Half a million fine falls on BB personally. His being suspended would fall on the organization. And then in another breath BB is the one responsible. Which is it? The NFL can't tell which party is responsible so they punished both. The organization will pay a fine and lose a draft pick. BB will pay a fine. A BB suspension would punish the patriots not BB.

What kind of a punishment is it when the parties responsible make TONS more money and will continue to do so? The draft pick was possibly more hurtful, but since they STILL have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds (I think) and considering the first round pick they lose probably WON'T be the higher of the two picks they had, what kind of a punishment is it really? Hell, next year Kraft will probably give BB a "bonus" to offset the cost of the punishment. Especially if they win another superbowl.

chernobylwraiths
09-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Seems to me if he was innocent, he would have fought against the ruling. Instead he's saying "it's history...time to move on". Heck if all I lost was 12.5% of my salary for cheating at my job I'd want to move on pretty fast as well.

People are trying to hard to relate this to their every day life and salary. These people can't remotely compare to us. They make millions of dollars and even a fine as high as the NFL gave out isn't really much in the grand scheme of how much they make/have. I think BB can survive on the 3.5 million he has left after the fine.