PDA

View Full Version : Bills pass offense vs. Steelers' third-down defense

YardRat
09-16-2007, 06:38 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07259/817701-66.stm

The Steelers will wear throwback uniforms against the Buffalo Bills today to help kick-start their 75th anniversary celebration. But, make no mistake, they are not going back in time with the latest wrinkle in their defensive package.

Yes, the Steelers have gone back to using a four-man front in their defense, something they unveiled in last week's season-opening victory in Cleveland. But, no, it's not a return to the Steel Curtain days of Joe Greene, Ernie Holmes, L.C. Greenwood and Dwight White.

Rather, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has introduced another facet to the Steelers' dime defense, employing four linemen and only one linebacker to go with six defensive backs in third-down situations.

The concept is designed to discourage teams from spreading the field with multiple receivers and then trying to run the ball -- something the Cincinnati Bengals routinely try to do against the Steelers. The Steelers used the new formation 13 times against the Browns, and are prepared to use it again if the Bills try to use four wide receivers and run rookie Marshawn Lynch from that formation.

mybills
09-16-2007, 06:55 AM
So it's gonna be Dick vs Dick today. Oh joy!

Scumbag College
09-16-2007, 06:58 AM
So it's gonna be Dick vs Dick today. Oh joy!

Dick on Dick action.

A Dick off.

Two Dicks, both heads clashing trying to defeat the other.

Anyways you look at it, kinda gay.

mybills
09-16-2007, 06:58 AM
:roflmao:

YardRat
09-16-2007, 07:00 AM
You two have 'issues'.

mybills
09-16-2007, 07:01 AM
You two have 'issues'.
:roflmao:

Scumbag College
09-16-2007, 07:04 AM
You two have 'issues'.

Just talking about Dick and Dick early on Sunday morning. No issues here.

mybills
09-16-2007, 07:09 AM
Yeah, get your mind out of the gutter, YR. :D

venis2k1
09-16-2007, 09:31 AM
you know, i read the title of this thread and my first thought was "wow this seems like it will be an inteligent well thought out thread"

Scumbag College
09-16-2007, 09:37 AM
you know, i read the title of this thread and my first thought was "wow this seems like it will be an inteligent well thought out thread"

You're right. It is an interesting article, I think if the Bills can pick up Pitt's blitz pickups, that the Bills might be able to really move the ball. I like Lee Evans and especially Roscoe Parrish vs. the Stillers' CBs one on one. I definately think it will be a big dropoff facing Pitt's guys in comparison to Bailey and Bly last week.

YardRat
09-16-2007, 11:23 AM

That was the attempt with the initial post.

Then the short bus dropped off a couple of riders.

DraftBoy
09-16-2007, 11:32 AM
If we can learn how to execute a mid level route we have a shot, but JP has to make the correct reads, the hot route adjustments, adjust the blocking schemes and make the throws. Thats alot to ask of this point it appears.